• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL PS3 Price Cut - Up to 17% Off

nofi

Thought it deserved it's own thread, please leave my testicles alone if you disagree, I like them.

In a late breaking story SmartHouse News has been able to confirm that PAL markets including Australia and the UK will get a PS3 price cut on July 12th.

The Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment in Australia, Michael Ephraim, has confirmed that a PAL market announcement will be made on July 12 2007 regarding price cuts to the PAL market PS3.

It is expected that the PAL market Sony PS3 models, which are among the most expensive in the world, will be cut by as much as 17%. This will bring the Australian model down to $829.00.

Source

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It is expected that the PAL market Sony PS3 models, which are among the most expensive in the world, will be cut by as much as 17%.

No, it's not. The author is just looking at the US pricecut and expecting the same in PAL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's not citing anyone from Sony on that.

This is old news. Reports and Jack Tretton have suggested it will be a value-add, not a pricecut.

FFChris

Suerte said:
So the new UK price could potentially be around £350 - still not sure that's enough.

Getting very close I think.

I think the UK will accept it at £299. But £350 sounds a hell of a lot better than £425.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cool news for us, now that only leaves Japan. Wonder when they announce that.

btw having problems with the servers already, I am afraid GAF is going to die 10.000 deaths when the conferences start,

nofi

gofreak said:
No, it's not. The author is just looking at the US pricecut and expecting the same in PAL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's not citing anyone from Sony on that.

This is old news. Reports and Jack Tretton have suggested it will be a value-add, not a pricecut.

We don't know for sure, but he seems fairly convinced:

The Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment in Australia, Michael Ephraim, has confirmed that a PAL market announcement will be made on July 12 2007 regarding price cuts to the PAL market PS3.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Well going on the current exchange rate, we still aint getting the best deal.

USD $500
AUS $580.7875

Lovely.

Note: Even adding 10% GST, it aint that much more.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
mckmas8808 said:
Is that price good or bad? How do you UK guys feel about this price?
350 pounds is pretty decent. At that price Id really considering buying one when MGS4 is released.

spwolf

gofreak said:

In a late breaking story SmartHouse News has been able to confirm that PAL markets including Australia and the UK will get a PS3 price cut on July 12th.

how hard is to actually click on the link?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
JonathanEx said:
I've got an email here from Sony Europe saying they'll make an announcement on Thursday if that means anything. :p

wow so it's confirmed and it's not value related? So €500 PS3 confirmed? Nice.

Suerte

I don't think PS3 will go properly mainstream until it's at least £299. I suppose retailers could effectively make it £300ish by bundling some extra's with the console like they have with the 360 recently.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
spwolf said:
how hard is to actually click on the link?

If they have a quote from Sony saying "an announcement about pricecuts", I'll believe it, otherwise I think it's the author's embellishment. Sony confirmed an announcement, but probably not specifically about pricecuts. They've been careful not to say it'll be a pricecut specifically..Tretton very carefully avoided saying that yesterday. And a publication with its finger closer to the pulse - MCV - has reported it'll be value-added bundles in all likelihood.

No quote, no sale :p

Didn't MS refund the poor bastards who paid out full price for an XBox on day one?

Why should i lose £75 after 3 freaking months?
Screw you Sony. SCREW YOU

Yasser

mckmas8808 said:
personally i'm pretty happy since my brother works in retail and can get me up to 20% off on top of the price cut, so if it drops to £350 i could get it for £280 which isn't a lot more than the 360

Suerte

Suerte said:
I don't think PS3 will go properly mainstream until it's at least £299. I suppose retailers could effectively make it £300ish by bundling some extra's with the console like they have with the 360 recently.

spwolf said:
enough for what? It has beeen selling pretty good in PAL countries...

"Pretty good" isn't that good compared to the runaway success that was the PS2 in most PAL countries.

nofi

DefectiveReject said:
Didn't MS refund the poor bastards who paid out full price for an XBox on day one?

Or..... wait and see...

bee

ive already seen it on sale for as low as £350 and u can regularly get them for around £360-70.

so i really dont think thats low enough £299 would getting it selling well for sure personally i wont bite till its sub £250.

Trevelyon

DefectiveReject said:

Yeh, a refund would be nice. Heck! Toss me a few Blu-ray movies or some PSN store credit at the very least FFS)

Ronok

Still effectively $100 more then the original US price..... No thanks. :-/

Glad I'm waiting for FFXIII. :-/

Please get ported FFXIII. ; ;

Suerte

DefectiveReject said:
No. I wanna know now...... !!! Probably get some PSN Store credit to buy all they have to offer on there...?

You might get a few free games like Nintendo offered those who bought the N64 at launch.

nofi

DefectiveReject said:
No. I wanna know now...... !!! Probably get some PSN Store credit to buy all they have to offer on there...?

You can't know now, it's a secret. We don't know what Sony will offer, if anything, so wait until they announce it officially. Might be a game or two, or PSN credit, or yeah - free films. Or nothing.

test_account

XP-39C²
DefectiveReject said:

Where i live MS gave away 2 free games + a controller (or 1 free game + a controller or 2 free games, something like that atleast) to the people who had bought a Xbox before their pricedrop. MS dropped the price like 1-2 months after the launch tho, and the drop was about $200.

maxmars

So this would bring the euro ps3 price in line with the 360 one for me, considering I need wireless. Even less, since the online part is free. :D

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
test_account said:
Where i live MS gave away 2 free games + a controller (or 1 free game + a controller or 2 free games, something like that atleast) to the people who had bought a Xbox before their pricedrop.

It was the same in the UK, though the games were from a list of mostly first party titles that you didn't want. (Not that bad in the end, actually, though anyone who'd already bought the games they wanted from the list was shafted...)

Zoink

Not enough, really. £300 would bring it into line with US prices taking account of VAT at current exchange rates. Although if retailers maintain the same amount of discounting they're currently offering off MRP, they could be selling it for £300.

tanod

when is my burrito
The original Xbox dropped price less than a month after it initially launched by 200 or 300 euros and they sent stuff out to early purchasers. This is a longer time frame and a smaller drop so I think you guys aren't getting anything extra if you already have one.

Sony needs to make a drop to align prices with the US ($500) / JPN (50,000 yen) prices and an adjustment for the exchange rates.

I would guess that since they announced the original European price at 599 euros back in May of '06 and didn't launch until a year later, that they could have launched at a lower price but didn't because they didn't want to do another preemptive price drop.

mckmas8808 said:
The PS2 famously launched at $300 and £300. This is a great step in the right direction, and it has dropped a psychological price barrier for a lot of people, the major retailers are still charging £425 (by bundling crap Blu Rays).

I think online retailers will be able to sell it in the £319 region, or at least bundle a first party game.

Hi Sony:

White PS3 (60GB)
White Shockaxis
One Uncharted PS3 Blu-Ray game copy
One Spiderman 3 Blu-Ray movie copy
399€
Christmas

Make it happen.

Top Bottom