• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

nVidiot_Whore said:
That is a great intersection to live near BTW.. I actually like the Jalisco up the street, Tokyo Sushi, and Royal Palm Thai can be OK.

Our house is on the other side of I-5 in Greenlake. Our favorite neighborhood places are Latona Pub, Pies and Pints and Rosita's.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Chichikov said:
If you're looking for a good Japanese restaurant you should really check out Maneki.

There are places with better sushi in Seattle, but I don't think that there is a better Japanese restaurant.

It's also would've been Seattle's longest running restaurant (opened in 1904) if it wasn't for the internment camps in WWII.

As for Blue C Sushi, well, it's a chain of conveyor belt sushi places, and the quality is you would expect from an establishment like that.

Since we're talking Japanese, here's a few reccs:

Shiro's - only if you eat Omakase at the bar, because otherwise the ambiance is lame.
Showa in Fremont - decent snacks, but a real Izakaya, albeit the biggest, airiest one ever.
Kozue on 45th - decent Sushi but awesome and bizarre interpretations of Japanese home cooking.

phantom13

Neo Member
OuterWorldVoice said:

Shiro's - only if you eat Omakase at the bar, because otherwise the ambiance is lame.
Showa in Fremont - decent snacks, but a real Izakaya, albeit the biggest, airiest one ever.
Kozue on 45th - decent Sushi but awesome and bizarre interpretations of Japanese home cooking.

Have you been to Shiki's? I've been in Seattle for a few months now and I've been planning on going for some good sushi.

Paches

Seattle-GAF reporting in!

sounders1.jpg

Anyone else making it down next week for the season opener? I am still trying to pick up some tickets.

For a cool 'wow' moment and some awesome photo taking opportunities, Columbia Tower (the big black one). It's the tallest building in Seattle and you can see south for a ridiculously long distance on a clear day... quite amazing.

And it's super cheap compared to the needle which is only like half the height anyway, plus far more crowded.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OuterWorldVoice said:

How could you leave out Issian? It's the only place I've been here that actually has the atmosphere of an Izakaya in Japan.

dekjo

angelkimne said:
And it's super cheap compared to the needle which is only like half the height anyway, plus far more crowded.
And ugly. I know it's an iconic part of the skyline and there's no way we'd get rid of it, but I'm not a fan.

Paches-EJ- said:
Anyone else making it down next week for the season opener? I am still trying to pick up some tickets.

A few of my friends have season tickets, so they'll be there. I typically go to one or two Sounders games a year. Good times.

swoon

I'm back in the wonderful South.

Seattle was so awesome. From the thread - Samurai Noodle was pretty delicious though not as good as the few places I've been in SF. The Pinball Museum is wonderful and now I finally get EM machines - Hang Glider is one of my favorite machines now.

Stumptown coffee (shop near st. ignatius chapel) was my favorite coffee, with Zeitgeist and Bauhaus coming a close second. Top Pot's donuts are fucking insane...guys...export that.

I loved the capital hill and belltown areas - didn't care that much for fremont.

The show was really fucking awesome - I'm glad I was talked into the trip now - nostalgia crushing pretty hard for the rest of the weekend.

swoon said:
Top Pot's donuts are fucking insane...guys...export that.

Starbucks actually carries Top Pot donuts in their stores. I saw them in Nebraska of all places.

I love my local Top Pot, such a cool building.

DSCN2781.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zefah said:
How could you leave out Issian? It's the only place I've been here that actually has the atmosphere of an Izakaya in Japan.

I like it, but it has the atmopshere of the asian fusion place it was before Issian took over. I don't get an Izakaya feel at all. Maybe I should sit at the counter?

dubc35

distantmantra said:
I love my local Top Pot, such a cool building.

http://www.2blowhards.com/DSCN2781.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Hey, I live close to there too....dare I admit I've never been there?

swoon said:
we went to this one:

top-pot-doughnuts.jpg

pretty dreamy.

Hah, I went to that Top Pot last year at PAX Prime. Had a whole group go down at about 8 am. Honestly it may not have been the best idea. The donut I had was so ridiculously sugary I couldn't even finish it and I felt bad after. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
D23 said:
any of u guys live in the east???

oh and thank god they delayed the toll booth on 520 till june

I live in Seattle but work in Bellevue. The 520 tolling sure is going to suck.

dLMN8R

I live in Kirkland right now. I set up a Good To Go account and man what a piece of shit web site.

I entered in two codes to associate with the account (one for my car, one for my fiancee's car) and they both appeared on the site with the last digit cut off.

Then I went and tried to edit them, and even though the UI made it look like I should be able to, I couldn't do anything. Tried in IE, Firefox, Chrome - nothing worked. Anyone else having this problem?

Saw the photos of Tiger Mountain. I live like right next to it. Need to get out more and hike. >_<

Living on the Bellevue/Issaquah line is great for shopping though I will say! :)

dLMN8R

If you only cross the bridge rarely you don't need it. They'll take a picture of your license plate and mail you the fee, but it costs a bit more if they do that. But since the Good to Go passes are $5 each + a $30 minimum deposit on the account it's assocaited with, if you're spending less than $35 over a good amount of time, you'll pay less to not get one.

Or just go over I-90 :p

cdyhybrid

SHAZOOM said:
I go to Kona Kitchen/Yuji's Lounge for my Hawaiin fixes. Its a bit off of 80th and a bit south of Northgate Mall. Karaoke nights are ... interesting.

Holy shit, another GAFfer who goes to Kona Kitchen :O I was born and raised in Hawaii and I love this place. Some dishes are better than others but overall it's great. I'm usually there for the aforementioned karaoke nights though :p

I live far enough North.. if I really need to get to Bellevue, Kirkland I'll just go through Juanita, and/or go North to the 405 interchange.

Glad they are replacing 520.. and a toll is needed.. sorry commuters, but you should be paying for the bridge you use the most ;)

coldvein

Banned
any good game stores in the downtish area that i'm not aware of? i've only bought games at the northgate mall..been to that pink gorilla games place, too. is there anything else? mom and pops gamecube hut or anything?

coldvein said:
any good game stores in the downtish area that i'm not aware of? i've only bought games at the northgate mall..been to that pink gorilla games place, too. is there anything else? mom and pops gamecube hut or anything?

Nothing downtown aside from Gamestop and the two Pink Gorilla locations (ID and U-District). There's Game Gurus in Lake City as well as Another Castle on 99 in Edmonds.

coldvein

Banned
distantmantra said:
Nothing downtown aside from Gamestop and the two Pink Gorilla locations (ID and U-District). There's Game Gurus in Lake City as well as Another Castle on 99 in Edmonds.

ah, cool. hadn't seen the gamestop yet. thanks.

blurrygil

Being a local and fairly new to posting on 'zee GAF (I've lurked FOREVER and I mainly now post in the |OT| MLS and and current E3 Meet-Up threads), I wanted to give a shout to my rain-loving brahs (and brah-ettes?). :)

I live on First Hill/Downtown. I'm a member and leader of the Emerald City Supporters (aka ECS; we're the guys who did the big tifo display in Peaches prior post), so I'm Sounders til I die. I also collect and restore classic arcade games. Currently have 14, all working now.

Ummmm, what else? I work in the gaming industry...in Redmond. And we're Japanese. Nuff said.

And yeah. I'll subscribe to this and keep up. I'm down for meet-ups, gaming nights, etc.

Ah yes, and one more for the local-GAF:

Dorky's Arcade

In Tacoma. Run by my good friend Les. AWESOME food, games, etc. Waiting to get their liquor license and REALLY let the parties take off. If you haven't been, get off your couch and GO GO GO!!!

PS.

distantmantra said:
Kona Kitchen is 10-15 minute walk from my house in Greenlake. One of the best places in Seattle to get a katsu plate lunch!

BTW:

This.

blurrygil

swoon said:
i think i've missed seattle almost every day since i've returned.

Haha, I imagine!

I love living downtown. I'm a skip to everywhere I'd ever need to be. Plus, I've got a car thru my gf who stays with me like, 99% of the week. So if we need to be places outside of it, we're set.

If you ever decide to come back, we'll party down to Tacoma and at Dorky's. Best (soon-to-be) barcade up here! Ground Kontrol is rad, but Dorky's is getting HUGE now. Once they get that license, man I'll be taking the train/bus/camel every fuggin' day.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Owning a car in Seattle wrecked me financially. I wasn't making enough to afford a parking spot in a garage, and I couldn't get a street parking pass because my plates were out of state. I couldn't switch to Washington state plates because I had gotten parking tickets when I first arrived that I had to pay off first. So I'd send in the money for the ticket...and then get another one while I waited for the first to go through. It just became this endless cycle of fuckery. Eventually I just gave up. Even when I moved to a place that had a lot next door, a company near by had bought every single lot in the area for use by their employees (which was a fucking scam since they had about 3 times as many parking spots as employees and so were just making money off local residents who forgot to move their cars even though the lot never filled up) and if your car was parked there after 6am on a weekday, you got a ticket. I probably racked up 50 parking tickets until I finally said fuck it and lent it to a friend long term who lived outside the city.

It's shit like that that left a sour taste in my mouth for Seattle. For all the great experiences I had, I was just too poor to enjoy it, I was constantly stressed out about not having enough income 80% of the time.

siddx said:
Owning a car in Seattle wrecked me financially. I wasn't making enough to afford a parking spot in a garage, and I couldn't get a street parking pass because my plates were out of state. I couldn't switch to Washington state plates because I had gotten parking tickets when I first arrived that I had to pay off first. So I'd send in the money for the ticket...and then get another one while I waited for the first to go through. It just became this endless cycle of fuckery. Eventually I just gave up. Even when I moved to a place that had a lot next door, a company near by had bought every single lot in the area for use by their employees (which was a fucking scam since they had about 3 times as many parking spots as employees and so were just making money off local residents who forgot to move their cars even though the lot never filled up) and if your car was parked there after 6am on a weekday, you got a ticket. I probably racked up 50 parking tickets until I finally said fuck it and lent it to a friend long term who lived outside the city.

It's shit like that that left a sour taste in my mouth for Seattle. For all the great experiences I had, I was just too poor to enjoy it, I was constantly stressed out about not having enough income 80% of the time.

It depends where you live, but yeah, I can't imagine owning a car downtown or certain parts of First/Capitol Hill. I'm very lucky to have a garage and a driveway at my house in Greenlake. There's also tons of street parking, but it's nice not having to circle for a few minutes looking for a spot.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
distantmantra said:
It depends where you live, but yeah, I can't imagine owning a car downtown or certain parts of First/Capitol Hill. I'm very lucky to have a garage and a driveway at my house in Greenlake. There's also tons of street parking, but it's nice not having to circle for a few minutes looking for a spot.

Yeah my first apartment was in capital hill, and parking was absurd. Took for fucking EVER to find a spot some nights. And then I moved to South Lake Union right by the REI shop where there was plenty of spots to park in...but you couldn't park anywhere without paying for a monthly pass kind of thing. My life during the period of time where I didn't have my car with me and I happened to have a decent paying job was great, I loved Seattle at that point. Just walked everywhere, had enough money to pay rent and get drunk...but man fortunes can change so quick in that city.

blurrygil

siddx said:
Yeah my first apartment was in capital hill, and parking was absurd. Took for fucking EVER to find a spot some nights. And then I moved to South Lake Union right by the REI shop where there was plenty of spots to park in...but you couldn't park anywhere without paying for a monthly pass kind of thing. My life during the period of time where I didn't have my car with me and I happened to have a decent paying job was great, I loved Seattle at that point. Just walked everywhere, had enough money to pay rent and get drunk...but man fortunes can change so quick in that city.

I'm on First Hill and street parking works out perfect. My block, is literally, the ONLY block in the neighborhood with free street parking, with no limits. Students park during the day while I'm away at work. Then in the eve, I get home after they've left for home themselves! It's the circle of life for me...lol.

I used to live on Cap Hill as well. It can be tough. City has reduced the number of free blocks to nearly zero. Back then, I was sneaky and all slick about finding spots near my apt. These days, it's tough. So I can't blame ya for being irritated with your situation.

SHAZOOM

Let's not mention the evil that is Down Town street parking. I want a decent train/monorail that goes into downtown area as soon as possible, so everybody in the Seattle Metro area can just leave the cars at home. Wishful thinking, yes, but its something that needs to happen.

Just went to Serious Pie on Virginia and 3rd. Pretty good pizzas, if a bit more gourmet than what I would usually go for. Have we mentioned comic shops? Because Zanadu is just across the street from Serious Pie. The layout hasn't really changed all that much, but I heard that Zanadu 2 in the UD is switching over to a Comic Stop soon.

Top Bottom