• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

how could sony not dedicate like, 90% of their conference to Vita? it's its first E3 with the thing on the market, this has to be the absolute blowout of Vita gaming extravaganza and all that jazz, what are they gonna talk in their conference, PS3 multiplat games?? fuck that, we know GTA5 is coming there no need to use precious time on that.

if Sony doesn't blow me away with Vita this e3 then fuck them, if they won't take their product seriously I don't see why should I.

Sony has entirely the wrong idea about Vita development. They should have basically ALL of their resources on Vita at the moment. But PS3 is still the one that is getting all the great game announcements like new SSM God of War, PS Battle Royale etc.

udivision

I don't literally think he meant "Mario."
He meant, it has no guaranteed hit franchise coming down the pipe (ha) that can turn things around a la Monster Hunter, but expected instead of a random huge success.

I have actually really liked the games on Vita so far. I think I've played it more than any other console in the first few months of release.

That said, I still think people are right when they say it needs to find an "identity." It has great graphics and some great games, but so do Xbox360 and PS3. They need to find something to bring to Vita that people can't get somewhere else. It sounds easy, but even if they find that "thing," it's still going to be hard to convince people they need it when they have so many other devices.

gogogow

Sony has entirely the wrong idea about Vita development. They should have basically ALL of their resources on Vita at the moment. But PS3 is still the one that is getting all the great game announcements like new SSM God of War, PS Battle Royale etc.

I agree with this. Sony should make a lot of new IPs for Vita, by their A studios. They should create a big and strong portfolio of games for the Vita, so that the Vita has it's own "Mario", "Pokemon", "Monster Hunter" etc. and future successors can rely on. Because as it is, Sony relies way too much on third parties.

Boss Man

I actually have really liked the games on Vita so far. I think I've played it more than any other console in the first few months of release.

That said, I still think people are right when they say it needs to find an "identity." It has great graphics and some great games, but so do Xbox360 and PS3. They need to find something to bring to Vita that people can't get somewhere else. It sounds easy, but even if they find that "thing," it's still going to be hard to convince people they need it when they have so many other devices.
PaRappa with reach-around drums is the obvious answer.

MYE

So, here are MY 2 cents regarding both systems.

Yes, the PSVITA is pretty much an expensive doorstop (to me) right now. As was the 3DS in its first year.

The diference between both systems though, and the reason i just caved in and bought a 3DS, is that nintendo as proven time and time again that their portables ALWAYS deliver proper portable-friendly experiences. We already have a few games that showcase their expertise in crafting handheld titles, and the upcoming releases that we know of reasure us that the 3DS will try to be a proper sucessor to the DS. The portable talent and support seem to be there in full force.

The PSVITA however, seems to be following the PSP philosophy. The same that made me deeply regret buying that system and trying hard to enjoy it by spending money on a bunch of flagship titles that ended up being home-console, cinematic experiences on the go.
Yes, the system produced fantastic graphics. Yet i could not help feeling like i should have bought a DS instead everytime i saw my sister playing Professor Layton, Rythm Heaven or NSMB on her XL, while i played God of War, Crisis Core, Resistance or whatever.

Note that this is MY opinion. If you like what the PSP had to offer, the Vita seems to be offering a follow up to that kind of portable experience. No need to get salty when people think that Uncharted on the go just doesnt cut it.

Alebrije

I think the three big conferences are going to shine light on Vitas future greatly, if Sony shows up to all three (E3, Gamescom, and TGS) and ignores, or treats the Vita lightly, then yeah it's probably going to have a rough time doing anything. If they decide to get agressive and have stuff to show from all three markets, then it can come back and remain a stable, and great platform for games.

+1

We have seen some PS3 games before E3 so I am pretty sure Sony will focus on Vita. For PS3 Sony just need some AAA games this year to keep the consumer intersted so E3 is not a must for the PS3 but for Vita it is. Sony needs to reduce the price of the system a throw some AAA games to the market. A price reduction on E3 would not be extrange plus 2-3 AAA games.

Maedhros

Sony needs to show many, many things for the Vita on the E3. Lots, and lots of announcements, price drops/promotions/deals and mostly, games.

TGS is a important landmark too. They need games that appeal to that market. Personally, a price drop in Japan only would be great too, the price is too high compared to the other markets.

If they don't show support there, then we can be sure that the Vita is finished.

I wasn't playing my Vita much in the past weeks, then I bought MK and I can't put it down now.

It all depends on the software, I'm confident it will come eventually for the general gaming public. It's a terrific system, these days I've been playing an hour of MK, switching to Skype and talking with my brother in Japan, then watching some Netflix before bed.

It's a great device, I'm willing to give it time to grow its library and software suite.

Emitan

Isn't MK supposed to have a ton of content? I'd buy it (when I buy a Vita in a few months), but I hate gore. So I'd hate the game.

I'm afraid to ask anyone in the OT if you can turn off the gore because they'll laugh at me.

Patapwn

So, here are MY 2 cents regarding both systems.

Yes, the PSVITA is pretty much an expensive doorstop (to me) right now. As was the 3DS in its first year.

The diference between both systems though, and the reason i just caved in and bought a 3DS, is that nintendo as proven time and time again that their portables ALWAYS deliver proper portable-friendly experiences. We already have a few games that showcase their expertise in crafting handheld titles, and the upcoming releases that we know of reasure us that the 3DS will try to be a proper sucessor to the DS. The portable talent and support seem to be there in full force.

The PSVITA however, seems to be following the PSP philosophy. The same that made me deeply regret buying that system and trying hard to enjoy it by spending money on a bunch of flagship titles that ended up being home-console, cinematic experiences on the go.
Yes, the system produced fantastic graphics. Yet i could not help feeling like i should have bought a DS instead everytime i saw my sister playing Professor Layton, Rythm Heaven or NSMB on her XL, while i played God of War, Crisis Core, Resistance or whatever.

Note that this is MY opinion. If you like what the PSP had to offer, the Vita seems to be offering a follow up to that kind of portable experience. No need to get salty when people think that Uncharted on the go just doesnt cut it.

The psp had far more than God of War and Crisis core. If console spinoffs were making you frown, there was much more to play from many different genres and many diffrent levels of eh... 'portable focus'

The 3ds isn't even selliing because of the games you were jelly about. Monster Hunter, 3d Mario, Mario Kart 7, Kingdom Hearts, RE, MGS? The Holy 'Trinity' as it's been called are basically console ports. Most of the games Nintendo has developed for the 3ds and lobbied to bring on board are on the same level of console game as god of war.

It's more like if you liked what the ds had to offer, the iphone is up your ally. And if you liked what the psp had to offer, the 3ds is now more of the same.

Isn't MK supposed to have a ton of content? I'd buy it (when I buy a Vita in a few months), but I hate gore. So I'd hate the game.

I'm afraid to ask anyone in the OT if you can turn off the gore because they'll laugh at me.

It's packed with gore, but it's also super addictive and quite different from Street Fighter in many ways. In motion while actually fighting, the game looks great. Up close models are a bit underwhelming, but at 60fps it's quite easy to forgive because it's so fluid and fast.

Yeah, it's packed to the brim with content, hundreds of challenges, story mode, all the characters including DLC and outfits, online and offline multiplayer. It's a beast!

test_account

XP-39C²

It has all what the console version has, plus all the DLC, and finally an extra challenge tower with 150 extra challenges. So it has pretty much content indeed :) There is no way to turn off the gore as far as i know.

impact

Banned

You can't. I'll hold you if you get scared though.

fernoca

You can't. ;)
You can turn off blood in during Versus matches with a Kombat Kode.
You can "eliminate" fatalities in Versus also, by using codes like Zombie Mode or Rainbow Kombat which turns blood into multi-color goo.
ny1gP.png

• Klassic Music: 1-0-1 / 1-0-1
  • Armless Kombat: 9-1-1 / 9-1-1
  • Blocking Disabled: 0-2-0 / 0-2-0
  • Breakers Disabled: 0-9-0 / 0-9-0
  • Dark Kombat: 0-2-2 / 0-2-2
  • Double Dash: 3-9-1 / 1-9-3
  • Dream Kombat: 2-2-2 /: 5-5-5
  • Enhance Moves Disabled: 0-5-1 / 1-5-0
  • Explosive Kombat: 2-2-7 / 2-2-7
  • Foreground Objects Disabled: 0-0-1 / 0-0-1
  • Headless Kombat: 8-0-8 / 8-0-8
  • Health Recovery: 0-1-2 / 0-1-2
  • Hyper Fighting: 0-9-1 / 0-9-1
  • Invisible Kombat: 7-7-0 / 7-7-0
  • Jumping Disabled: 8-3-1 / 8-3-1
  • Combos Disabled: 9-3-1 / 9-3-1
  • No Blood: 9-0-0 / 9-0-0
  • Player 2 Half Health: 0-0-0 / 1-1-0
  • Power Bars Disabled: 4-0-4 / 4-0-4
  • Psycho Kombat: 7-0-7 / 7-0-7
  • Quick Uppercut Recovery: 3-0-3 / 3-0-3
  • Rainbow Kombat: 2-3-4 / 2-3-4
  • Sans Power: 0-4-4 / 4-4-0
  • Silent Kombat: 3-0-0 / 3-0-0
  • Specials Disabled: 7-3-1 /: 7-3-1
  • Super Recovery: 1-2-3 / 1-2-3
  • Throwing Disabled: 1-0-0 / 1-0-0
  • Throwing Encouraged: 0-1-0 / 0-1-0
  • Tournament Mode: 1-1-1 / 1-1-1
  • Unlimited Super Meter: 4-6-6 / 4-6-6
  • Vampire Kombat: 4-2-4 / 4-2-4
  • X-Rays Disabled: 2-4-2 / 2-4-2
  • Zombie Kombat: 6-6-6 / 6-6-6

sleepykyo

It has all what the console version has, plus all the DLC, and finally an extra challenge tower with 150 extra challenges. So it has pretty much content indeed :) There is no way to turn off the gore as far as i know.

Did they take out the no blood code? It used to be one of the codes you entered at the match up screen which turned off blood and fatalities (I think x-ray cinematics are unchanged though).

edit: Beaten

Haunted

On the one hand, Sony has a lot riding on Vita, so they have to dedicate a lot of resources and time on it at E3, really surprise and convince people with sick game announcements to keep it relevant in the marketplace.

On the other hand, I don't really give a shit about the Vita so I wish they wouldn't spend any time on it and just focus on the stuff I want to see. xD

jman2050

Question, what would Sony's potential development strategy to populate the Vita lineup be that *doesn't* involve hoping that third parties don't bail en masse?

hatchx

Banned
The psp had far more than God of War and Crisis core. If console spinoffs were making you frown, there was much more to play from many different genres and many diffrent levels of eh... 'portable focus'

The 3ds isn't even selliing because of the games you were jelly about. Monster Hunter, 3d Mario, Mario Kart 7, Kingdom Hearts, RE, MGS? The Holy 'Trinity' as it's been called are basically console ports. Most of the games Nintendo has developed for the 3ds and lobbied to bring on board are on the same level of console game as god of war.

It's more like if you liked what the ds had to offer, the iphone is up your ally. And if you liked what the psp had to offer, the 3ds is now more of the same.

But with Mario Kart you can play with 8 players. Your friends don't even need to own the game and they can play with you.

Can Vita do that? It's one of the most valuable features of the DS/3DS to me was multiplayer-centric games.

slider

On the one hand, Sony has a lot riding on Vita, so they have to dedicate a lot of resources and time on it at E3, really surprise and convince people with sick game announcements to keep it relevant in the marketplace.

On the other hand, I don't really give a shit about the Vita so I wish they wouldn't spend any time on it and just focus on the stuff I want to see. xD

If they do the first statement it might change the second statement!

impact

Banned
Okay~

It's weird. I actually really loved the first Prototype despite gratuitous amounts of blood and gore. Maybe I'll give MK Vita a chance.

Do it, it's fun! Nothing better than fapping to Melina owning people with Melina while laying in bed.

IrishNinja

Why can't dedicated portable game machines just die already? They are going to soon anyway?

this is exactly how i feel about your posts though

Because, personally, I will never own one and would be happier playing Nintendo games on iOS/Android.

oh okay, you were just port-begging in a dumb way, cool

I do my hardcore gaming on PC or console, portables I just want to fit my lifestyle. I consider dedicated portable play very socially antiquated i.e. child's play only.

i feel it's redundant to liken your posts here to said child's play but it's too late to stop now

Patapwn

But with Mario Kart you can play with 8 players. Your friends don't even need to own the game and they can play with you.

Can Vita do that? It's one of the most valuable features of the DS/3DS to me was multiplayer-centric games.

But does the 3ds have cross game chat?

I don't understand what your point is.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have a very simple problem with VITA: There should've been more RPGs (or a single RPG) day one.

I bought the system mostly for Japanese games to complement my Xbox 360 and PC. And good lord, are these games ever taking their sweet time coming over. I figured with a strong digital store that localization companies would have more freedom and an easier time connecting with their consumers (offering pre-orders on PSN), but nothing has happened. So I'm not necessarily ready to blame Sony - I'm more frustrated with the slow Japanese development process, which I should have been prepared for (since it's par for the course), but for some reason ignored. And localization, which really should be worked on a bit during the dev process for 'big' titles, like Assassin's Creed's English/French/Italian/Spanish/German releases.

Also, screw Namco for garbage like Katamari over Tales.

Nintendo sure talks a lot like they know what they're doing, yet there stock is down like 50,000% in recent years.

Kind of reminds how Sony is forever restructuring and forecasting profitability just around the corner...

hatchx

Banned

My point is, one of the biggest draws to 3DS is accessibility. The ability to easily play 2-8 players, in a game very well tailored for 2-8 players is a huge draw for me.

I'm actually asking if PSP/VITA can do that, or have good games setup for that? I always used to wonder what I'd play with friends on PSP, and I ask myself the same thing with VITA. What can 3 or 4 of my friends sit around and play on the damn thing? Local multiplayer is a big factor for me.

I don't see how multiplayer gaming compares cross-game chat.

jman2050

Nintendo sure talks a lot like they know what they're doing, yet there stock is down like 50,000% in recent years.

Kind of reminds how Sony is forever restructuring and forecasting profitability just around the corner...

How are their situations at all comparable?

udivision

Nintendo, or Miyamoto as we like to call him, just admitted that they were doing it wrong with the 3DS, and that it looks like Sony is making the same mistake. Is that a wrong thing to say?

MYE

I know it had more than that. My favourite PSP games are Ghost and Goblins, Castlevania and Prinny.
But if i vastly prefer these types of games, i'm better off with the system that has ALOT more of them to choose from, right?

The 3ds isn't even selliing because of the games you were jelly about. Monster Hunter, 3d Mario, Mario Kart 7, Kingdom Hearts, RE, MGS? The Holy 'Trinity' as it's been called are basically console ports.

Calling Mario 3D a console port is just... no. Sorry but like all the previous portable Mario games besides 64DS, Mario3D is obviously designed for portable gaming. It has smaller and more focused stages and like Mario Kart, Mario platformers just seem to work just as well on the small screen.

The other games you mention are console-like experiences, yes. But then again, i never said the DS and 3DS didnt also have those types of games ;)

Most of the games Nintendo has developed for the 3ds and lobbied to bring on board are on the same level of console game as god of war.

I disagree. Many nintendo franchises adopt a more arcade, focused or gamey approach to how they play. Thats why Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Super Mario, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, Fire Emblem, etc, despite being on home systems, work just as well on handhelds.

Its not to say that the PSP GOW games, Resistance, Metal Gear, etc were not good. They were just not suited for the small screen.

Epic vistas, cinematic action sets, dramatic kills and the attempt to keep the look and feel of its home-console big brothers just makes no sense to me. The games sure dont play better for ignoring their portable home.

I have an Iphone. It doesnt offer me what the DS can. Not even close.

And if you say the 3DS is the PSP, what is the Vita then?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there has never been a company in the history of the world that has had it's stock go down more than 100%

Principate

Saint Titanfall

They both have thier specific advantages and disadvantages, e.g full BC and partial BC (though with improved screen), software types etc.

Ultimately the only raw fact you can use is sales, revenue, profit cost etc. All that other crap is worthless if it doesn't sell well and produce a reasonable amount of profit.

A strong or weak product is determined by that and only that, you can fit every gizmo under the sun on a product, if it doesn't sell make or have a reasonable margin, it's mostly worthless unless your planning for a trojan style (which Sony obviously is not).

PSVita IS a weak product because it's not selling particularily well now, we'll see if that changes in the future. Some for 3DS at launch though not to the same degree (brand also plays a lot in a products "strength").

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have a very simple problem with VITA: There should've been more RPGs (or a single RPG) day one.

I bought the system mostly for Japanese games to complement my Xbox 360 and PC. And good lord, are these games ever taking their sweet time coming over. I figured with a strong digital store that localization companies would have more freedom and an easier time connecting with their consumers (offering pre-orders on PSN), but nothing has happened. So I'm not necessarily ready to blame Sony - I'm more frustrated with the slow Japanese development process, which I should have been prepared for (since it's par for the course), but for some reason ignored. And localization, which really should be worked on a bit during the dev process for 'big' titles, like Assassin's Creed's English/French/Italian/Spanish/German releases.

Also, screw Namco for garbage like Katamari over Tales.

RPGs day one is a crazy expectation.

3DS had a bunch of RPGs announced for it before launch and the only one that came out within the first year was a port.

Vita didn't really even have any announced before it came out besides, shockingly, a port. It's two biggest upcoming RPGs are both ports.

how could sony not dedicate like, 90% of their conference to Vita? it's its first E3 with the thing on the market, this has to be the absolute blowout of Vita gaming extravaganza and all that jazz, what are they gonna talk in their conference, PS3 multiplat games?? fuck that, we know GTA5 is coming there no need to use precious time on that.

if Sony doesn't blow me away with Vita this e3 then fuck them, if they won't take their product seriously I don't see why should I.

The PS3 is their gaming division's breadwinner. Ensuring that it continues to sell is more important than trying to push AAA handheld games to Western gamers.

Top Bottom