• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve acquires Impulsonic (3D audio company)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.impulsonic.com/

GREETINGS FROM IMPULSONIC HQ!
We haven’t been super-active on our blog or Twitter lately, and some of you have been wondering what we’ve been up to. Well, today, we’re excited to finally announce that Impulsonic has been acquired by Valve! We’re confident that with the resources and expertise that Valve brings to the table, we will be able to push Phonon and VR Audio to an exciting new level. The Impulsonic team will be transitioning to Valve HQ over the coming weeks, but our work will continue uninterrupted.

For those of you who are already using Phonon, there is nothing you need to do at this point.

We wish to thank all of the users and beta-testers who have helped us bring Phonon and VR Audio this far; we hope you will continue to support us as we begin the next stage of our journey. We’ll have more to announce soon.

Thanks,

The Impulsonic Team.

Via reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffe...ve_acquires_impulsonic_the_creators_of_the_3d

As you all probably already know, Valve recently introduced a new 3D audio feature to CS:GO called HRTF. The 3rd-party system that they used to achieve this is called Phonon 3D and it's made by a company called Impulsonic. Before today, the only evidence that Valve used Phonon 3D was the addition of phonon3d.dll in CS:GO's bin sub-folder.

I'm a huge HRTF enthusiast and I test out every 3D audio system that I can get my hands on. As a result, I receive newsletters from many of these 3D audio companies. Today, I received an email from Impulsonic announcing that they have joined Valve.

Mindlog

On a scale of everything else to Aureal.
Where does this tech rate?

Please be good. Then again any investment in this space is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom