• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Celtics are a weak #1 seed, but they are not going to lose to the Bulls. If the coaches were reversed, I'd give the Bulls a shot as Hoiberg is terrible.

KZsKcel.png

There's nothing to be gained from not losing to the Celtics in 4, either.

In the tanking game, go big or go home.

They could totally get swept, but Jimmy Butler probably has 1 Hero Ball game in him.

Bulls should have tanked this season and rebuilt. Should have blown it up last season, actually.

Chichikov

KMkGYfO.png

It was a horrific few years watching our C tank and not be good, us fans deserve this!!!!
In the last ten years you missed the playoff once. But please, tell me more about that horror, I'm sure a ton of fan bases can relate.
And then ya'll wonder why everyone hates Boston fans.

Well, there is also that -
We are the greatest team and fan base of all time!

i mean

you don't need that many first round picks :'(

If it was just a first round pick and some filler for either of those guys they'd be on the Celtics right now.

In the last ten years you missed the playoff once. But please, tell me more about that horror, I'm sure a ton of fan bases can relate.

This is a fine example of someone who has not done it.

Jeff-DSA

The Clippers are the most annoying team in the history of the NBA. All the antics, the flopping, the nut punches, the flailing, the whining, and the constant foul baiting make them practically unwatchable. I always go to Jazz home games, but I'm sitting this round out. I won't pay to watch the Clippers joke show.

So yeah, go Jazz.

Bread

Banned

Some people just don't understand how tough it is to go through a rebuilding effort. It was a long and strenuous road, any Celtic fan can tell you that. We had to watch our team go from Best Team to Lottery in the span of a few years. We deserve this, C fans! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Celtic/Warrios finals gonna be lit

Isn't part of the issue that the Bulls/Pacers want to be certain that the vaunted Celtics (by way of the Nets) pick is the 1st overall? One of them will probably be dealt to Boston this June after the Draft Lottery has shaken out.

Ronin Ray

Good job on the thread Jarate! Shocked you went tame with the thread title .

Now we just wait for the cavs warriors 3. I will be surprised if my spurs make it out of the 2nd round this year. Also the wait to announce the MVP this year is dumb

Chichikov

Some people just don't understand how tough it is to go through a rebuilding effort. It was a long and strenuous road, any Celtic fan can tell you that. We had to watch our team go from Best Team to Lottery in the span of a few years. We deserve this, C fans! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Celtic/Warrios finals gonna be lit
You guys are spoiled as fuck.

I will tell you that much, as much as it pains me to compliment the Celtics in any way, I was really impressed in the way that team rebuilt. They went from a championship team to a completely new core which is ready to contend* with only one really bad year in the process. Yeah, rebuilding is not as fun as winning rings, but they put a pretty entertaining and forward looking team out there in most seasons. Now it's fine to be proud of that, but fuck, whining about it is just bad look. Most fanbases in the league will kill for your last ten years.

* I think they're still one guy short, I think they overachieved this year, but they are well position to make that step next year.

Chase17

If the price for Butler/George was a 1st round pick, I would have given up both Nets picks and taken them both.

Nice job on the thread Jarate. This is what the process is building towards.

Bread

Banned

I will tell you that much, as much as it pains me to compliment the Celtics in any way, I was really impressed in the way that team rebuilt. They went from a championship team to a completely new core which is ready to contend* with only one really bad year in the process. Yeah, rebuilding is not as fun as winning rings, but they put a pretty entertaining and forward looking team out there in most seasons. Now it's fine to be proud of that, but fuck, whining about it is just bad look. Most fanbases in the league will kill for your last ten years.

* I think they're still one guy short, I think they overachieved this year, but they are well position to make that step next year.
We're spoiled? Please, we barely ever win championships. The Celtic have been a disappointing franchise for the past 25 years, probably longer if you do the research.

Amory

Celtics' turnaround was impressive, but they're very much a team at the crossroads.

At best they'll be the new east power when LeBron starts to finally lose a step. At worst they're a perennial 2-4 seed treadmill team. The new Atlanta Hawks complete with Al Horford.

Danny has done a great job, but now he has to draft well and make the right free agency choices to avoid upper level mediocrity.

Making the playoffs in the NBA is no amazing feat. Literally 50% of the league makes it, but only 2 or maybe 3 teams are legitimate contenders. And the Celtics aren't currently one of them.

Sanjuro

That's part of the reason he held on to assets. Aquire cancers at the deadline, waste draft picks on busts, etc. Really just a waiting game.

Nafai1123

Banned
Who do you guys think have the best chance of knocking out the Cavs in the East and Dubs in the West? I'm gonna go with the Raptors and Jazz.

Dubs/Cavs Trilogy is going to happen and it's going to be LIT

megalowho

This year's Celtics team is weird for sure, hard to predict. Still they're balanced on offense and defense, IT's got the clutch gene and even with 50+ wins they still have room to grow and gel.

Can't see them losing to an even weirder Bulls squad unless they just hit a slump. If Taj was still there I'd be more concerned, he's the kind of guy that kills the C's and exploits their biggest weakness (rebounding). Should be a fun series tho, hope the NBA gives it a spotlight given the markets.

We're spoiled? Please, we barely ever win championships. The Celtic have been a disappointing franchise for the past 25 years, probably longer if you do the research.

This is sarcasm, right? The team with the most championships of all time barely wins championships? Do me a favor, root for Sacramento for the next 25 years and then tell me how bad the Celtics have it.

The Jazz have played a handful of games with their whole team healthy. They now have everyone back and mostly healthy. The Clips have dominated them this year but I still believe. Go Jazz!!!
Also if Rudy Gobert isn't DPOY there is something wrong.

This is sarcasm, right? The team with the most championships of all time barely wins championships? Do me a favor, root for Sacramento for the next 25 years and then tell me how bad the Celtics have it.

Just to clue the irregulars in, yes, the "woe is me" on the Celtics is indeed just shtick.

Ban on Warriors talk is real, though. Just an FYI.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Stevens makes the Celtics appear much better than they actually are talent wise (which is why they still need a top pick + FA) - he could take any of the teams in the eastern conference (except for the nets) and put them in the top 3. He should be coach of the year IMO.

I think the Bulls are a much better match up for the celtics than the other options.

jdstorm

Banned
Please. The Celtics as currently constructed are the Atlanta Hawks 2.0 they won a few regular season games in a conference where few teams were trying, but dont have any of the pieces required for a long playoff run.

They have virtually no interior defense, limited secondary ball handling outside of super small lineups and a sub 6ft closer.

Edit: Sacramento is actually looking very healthy right now. Vlade had a great first draft. Plus the Kings have 2 lottery picks next year in a draft loaded with PG's which is Sac's biggest need. The Future is looking really bright.

Please. The Celtics as currently constructed are the Atlanta Hawks 2.0 they won a few regular season games in a conference where few teams were trying, but dont have any of the pieces required for a long playoff run.

They have virtually no interior defense, limited secondary ball handling outside of super small lineups and a sub 6ft closer.

Oh for sure man.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Will LeBron continue resting through the playoffs?

Lebron has rested during the regular season for years at this point. Whether it's taking games off or coasting on defense. However, the issue is that the Cavs defense has been awful for the most part.

jdstorm

Banned
Oh for sure man.

Not a Celts fan, but I feel pretty strongly that Ainge blew the 2015 title. If he had cashed in all of Bostons Non Brooklyn pick assets for some upper tier wings like Danillo Galinari and Faried they could have assembled a small ball team that would have run goldenstate out of the gym.

Ainge's biggest problem is that he overvalues his own assets.

Edit: At best Isiah Thomas is a better Jason "Jet" Terry on that 2010s Mavs team. Hes a good secondary scorer/caos creator. Its just that if he's your number 1 guy you are in trouble. Al Horford isnt that guy either.

Not a Celts fan, but I feel pretty strongly that Ainge blew the 2015 title. If he had cashed in all of Bostons Non Brooklyn pick assets for some upper tier wings like Danillo Galinari and Faried they could have assembled a small ball team that would have run goldenstate out of the gym.

OH FOR SURE MAN.

Bread

Banned
If Danny Ainge were any good the Celtics would be world champions and the playoffs would be over. Really sick of seeing him overvalue his assets when he could have turned them into a starting lineup of Thomas/Butler/George/Horford/Mohammed Whiteside.

Tom Penny

Boston teams don't even average a title a year the past decade. It sucks being a fan sometimes

spyder_ur

I'm pretty pleased with how the playoff bracket shook out. I still believe, barring injury, Warriors-Cavs is inevitable, but I think we'll have some really good games and series. Matchups couldn't have worked out much better IMO.

All of the following first-round series are pretty intriguing: Rockets-Thunder, Clips - Jazz, Celts - Bulls, Bucks - Raptors.

Edit: At best Isiah Thomas is a better Jason "Jet" Terry on that 2010s Mavs team. Hes a good secondary scorer/caos creator. Its just that if he's your number 1 guy you are in trouble. Al Horford isnt that guy either.

I can't tell if you're serious that the Celtics could've won the 2015 title if they had only given up the farm for Galinari and Faried.

Also, somehow your 'better Jason Terry' comp manages to be insulting to both IT and Jet.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why are all the images in the OP jokes, but the Bucks get a highlight-reel dunk?

Or was there something else going on in that play that I'm not seeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom