• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

duckroll

STOP HERE
DATA WARNING FOR MOBILE USERS
It is HIGHLY recommended you view this thread with the NeoGfy Extension (automatically replace animated GIFs with bandwidth saving video)

cIzGXbm.gif

CFWlPCH.jpg

bizsx2.png
ZzE2h6r.gif
replacet3xh6.png

d9asyf.png

e4ls5k.png
MViCEzG.gif
fblsjg.png

gasscz.png

hm5szq.png

irhsv4.png
BgVb4zX.gif
js4sdt.png

kvis6e.png

lyhsgq.png
jnTc7L5.gif
mfqscs.png

njyswo.png

ooosu9.png

pans6q.png

rnzs25.png

1iJxd4Q.gif

nQhsVYc.png

(Thanks to Übermatik for the original OT)

Zedark

We made it!

About the weapon durability: Not sure if this video has been discussed yet, but Arlo's video "In defense of Breath of the Wild's Brittle Weapons" conveys my feelings about the weapon durability really well. Will link it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCMDG51cf5w

The game makes using varied weapon a necessity, making you experience more variety in the battle system from that, which I think is a really good system.

Here I was thinking Super Mario Maker and Pikmin 3 were going to define the Wii U for me.... How little I knew then! Those naive days.

Move over Metal Gear Solid 3- there's a new sneaking murder jungle simulator that's stolen my heart for good!

I'm almost done getting all the towers. I still only have 3 hearts. Great game where you can sit down and accomplish a few goals in a single sitting and feel a sense of progress.

Zedark

New OT!!!!!

I'm 65 hours in. Love it so much.

Can anybody see themselves replaying this game again from scratch??

I might consider doing a Direct to Ganon run somewhere next year after I have fully completed the game and the DLC. I won't start a new game directly after I finish, since I have plenty of other games to play, but I definitely want to do a speed run and a full new playthrough in the future.

Edit: And I forgot about the hard mode. Will most likely do my new playthrough with that enabled.

Solobbos

140h in, still gotta find a few shrines, one memory and go beat CG. The best game I have played in a decade for sure.

Nice, a third OT.

I finished this game a week ago and I still think about it constantly. That's how I know this game is something special.

I tried to start NieR Automata but I just want to keep playing this. Wanna max out all armour, kill all world bosses and eventually find every Korok.

I'm forty hours in, about to take out a second Divine Beast, and I'll straight up say I'll be playing this at least four more times.

1. Again with ultimate fuckery tactics of fun
2. Hard mode strikes!
3. Hard mode with ultimate fuckery of fun
4. Hard mode ????

I'm a big replay kinda person though. Sure, there's other boring games releasing every month but I'd rather play this Zelda for a few years between other releases.

Good title!

I'm at 35 or so hours in and have like 15 shrines done and 3 or 4 towers climbed. None of the other crap I keep seeing people talk about. I wish I had more time to game =( I like to take my time with games like this because once it's over....that's it. It'll just be a good memory.

Both my wife and son are at around 50 hours in. My son restarted his game since we just got a Switch and he had been playing the Wii U version.

And I think even my young daughter has put about 20 hours into it lol.

This game consumes everyone.

KHlover

Banned
We made it!

About the weapon durability: Not sure if this video has been discussed yet, but Arlo's video "In defense of Breath of the Wild's Brittle Weapons" conveys my feelings about the weapon durability really well. Will link it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCMDG51cf5w

The game makes using varied weapon a necessity, making you experience more variety in the battle system from that, which I think is a really good system.
The game avoids what usually annoys me about durability systems. Instead of having to go back to town and repair my weapon that's way better than the rest (and without which I might as well not bother) I can just chuck it into an enemies face and take the one they dropped. With Lynels and Nano Bots v4 being the exception you can kill most enemies even with weaker weapons, the game balance is superb. If you can't viably outright kill them you can at least disarm them or take them out the fight by difference means. In other games you are just boned if you're underequipped.

All of the above makes BOTW the first game where I do not mind durability.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Hard to imagine that after leaving the SoR early on I had no idea what to do, where to go, and how to play efficiently, but after having beaten the game after 120 hours I have done so many things that thinking about the starting area makes me nostalgic.

Edit: I saw the OT for the first time. Wow that was well made.

Skeletos311

4 Beasts down, Ganon killed, 120 Shrines, and 705 Korok seeds on Switch version, but I had to send it in to get screen scratches repaired. So, what do I do? Play the Wii U version of course! I got 70 Shrines down and I'm going to try and do Ganon with all Calamities up.

Charamiwa

Banned
Hard to imagine that after leaving the SoR early on I had no idea what to do, where to go, and how to play efficiently, but after having beaten the game after 120 hours I have done so many things that thinking about the starting area makes me nostalgic.

Yeah, sometimes I go back to the Plateau for one reason on another, and it looks sooo small. With all your powers you can go to the top of Mount Hylia so easily. Really put things in perspective.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Yep, I keep thinking back to the early hours, then descending into Hyrule proper for the first time and being overwhelmed by the things you can do. Yesterday I went back to the Plateau, climbed the temple of time and took a screen there to cap off my journey.

J@hranimo

Banned
I started playing this again and getting more shrines. I just got the armor from those 3 labyrinths and it's pretty dope :)

jariw

Good title!

I'm at 35 or so hours in and have like 15 shrines done and 3 or 4 towers climbed. None of the other crap I keep seeing people talk about. I wish I had more time to game =( I like to take my time with games like this because once it's over....that's it. It'll just be a good memory.

Both my wife and son are at around 50 hours in. My son restarted his game since we just got a Switch and he had been playing the Wii U version.

And I think even my young daughter has put about 20 hours into it lol.

This game consumes everyone.

Same in our family. We're three people playing the game here, and we take very different approaches to the game, we tell different stories, and so on. First Zelda where "how far have you come in the game" doesn't make any sense.

KLoWn

Now that I'm done with Nier:Automata and the Dark Souls 3 DLC I think I'm gonna go back and find and finish some more shrines before Persona 5 comes out.

You know it's an awesome game when you just want to go back to it over and over again.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I haven't even finished the game and you lot are already on OT3. :O

Anyway I played the game yesterday and after doing my second dungeon and grinding for Topaz I decided to go exploring before making my way to the snow bowling game to grind for Rupee.

I also have notices that enemies are starting to get stronger giving me a reason to use the Master Sword.

We made it!

About the weapon durability: Not sure if this video has been discussed yet, but I think Arlo's video "In defense of Breath of the Wild's Brittle Weapons" conveys my feelings about the weapon durability really well. Will link it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCMDG51cf5w

I disagree, I think that the brittle weapon system is dumb and at time I just don't bother fighting tough enemies like the lynel because I know that the reward isn't worth in the end as their weapons will eventually break meaning that if I want more of it I will have to go back and fight them all over again.

I also haven't bothered to get another champion weapons after it broke as I not only would need to track down the required items but I would also have to get a specific weapon when I could just use that weapon instead.

If the developer wanted players to experiment with their weapons then the better system would be have that certain weapon and enemies are better handled with certain types of weapons, for example when facing enemies that have clubs I keep my distant and attack them with spears.

Honestly the brittle weapons system is one of the thing I dislike about the game and I had to come up with a system to work around the stupid mechanic and I tend to avoid combat if when it's possible along with freely switching between weapons so I don't wear them out.

New OT!!!!!

I'm 65 hours in. Love it so much.

Yes, I will play it in Japanese once I am confident about my language proficiency. Before that, we still has hard mode and DLC, so I will probably end up playing it three times.

Fireblend

Banned
I've really grown to love the durability system. It starts being annoying because of the perceived value of high damage weapons early in the game, but as your inventory grows and you realize how abundantly stocked the world is with good weapons and specially how many there are, the fact that there's a system dedicated to make sure you cycle throughout them instead of just making weapon management a matter of just using the one with the highest numbers becomes engaging and guarantees more of that feeling of uniqueness and adventure that permeates the game. I think it really goes along with the rest of the game.

I'm about to finish the game, 90 hours in. Just need to finish the last 4 shrines or so and wrap up the last sidequests.

Great title.

I spent all day yesterday farming honey, hightail lizards, hot-footed frogs, and dragon parts and it was still one of the most fun experiences I've ever had gaming.

How the hell did they pull this off?

Top Bottom