• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wow, I can't believe how spot on those summaries were. AMC has a serious leak problem.

Damn, I scanned down below and saw it too. That's like a word for word, scene by scene breakdown of the episode...

Here's what I wanted to type out in the other topic, but decided not too.

Carl kills Shane (similar situation) and way earlier.

Dale dies far later and is killed by human cannibals.

Rick loses his hand fairly early in the books.

Michonne is introduced much earlier.

I think those are the major ones, could have missed a few.

A little bit of fix on these:

Carl Kills Human Shane outright, before Shane kills Rick. Rick goes back to Shane's Grave weeks later, once he learns that any Death will result in "zombiefication", and partially unburies Shane, and kills Zombie Shane.

Dale gets mercy killed by Andrea, after he's already been bitten by a zombie, taken and partially eaten by cannibals, and left as bait to draw out Rick's Group.

Rick Loses his hand about halfway through the prison arc. When he, Michonne and Glenn decide to track a helicopter in the area. Eventually coming across a town ran by The Governer, and things go decidedly south.

Michonne is introduced about 1/4th of the way into the Prison Arc, during a mini zombie outbreak brought on by a standoff between Rick's Group and the Surviving Prisoners

Raoh

Probably. Only purpose that Tyrese would serve at this point is to have his kids commit suicide. Daryl is on his way to filling Tyrese's role, and if they end up taking Daryl down a different route T-Dog is underdeveloped enough to be able to fill Tyrese's shoes.

I'd imagine Daryl will be Tyreese now. Carol already has the attachment to him and if he
hooks up with Michonne it will a) develop his character a bit given his racist background especially if Merle comes back and b) serve to drive Carol over the edge.

Hell, Daryl could end up having Tyreese's death and it could be awesome.

Yeah, I guess they could split up tyresse's roll into daryl and t-dog.

T-Dog as Michonne's love interest.
Daryl as Rick's right hand man in charge when Rick is gone.

Anyone notice Lori rubbing off on the other women?
no disrespect to GAF Women
Carol and Maggie just bitching and moaning and trying to get everyone against Rick.

We should leave.
We can't trust rick to lead us.
Rick did this.
What do you think Daryl, you don't agree with Rick do you.

Kudos to Daryl for saying "what do you want?"

She didn't have that much of a mouth on her when her husband was around now she wants to run off and ditch Rick when she barely made it on the back of Daryl's motorcycle.

Another great Daryl quote when he went to save Carol "hurry up, I aint got all day" LOL

big ander

At this point I simply wish AMC would acknowledge the leaks and say what they were doing to fix them. Are there people just chatting away in the editing room and saving the occasional jpeg to throw on reddit? Are the writers assistants loose-lipped? Tell us what's going on and then fix it.

Raoh

At this point I simply wish AMC would acknowledge the leaks and say what they were doing to fix them. Are there people just chatting away in the editing room and saving the occasional jpeg to throw on reddit? Are the writers assistants loose-lipped? Tell us what's going on and then fix it.

It could be intentional.

Leaks never hurt LOST and it hasn't hurt TWD. When you look at the commercials during twd, the shows that air after it, the way they make mad men ads around a twd theme, game ads, sci fi shows, I'd bet that the leaks are probably another form of publicity.

So Kirkman says Rick losing his hand was a major mistake. I guess that won't happen in season 3 then?
I was just reading through another Mazzara interview and this is what he said:
Q: Speaking of torturing Rick! In the comic books, Rick lost a hand during his first meeting with the Governor. Are you going to keep that plot point in the next season?

A: There’s material in the comic that does pose challenges to us. When we deviate from the comic book, it’s because we really feel it would not translate onto a weekly TV show. If he loses his hand, and he ever meets Merle, how do they shake hands?
Beyond any issues that crop up with the story, it just seems like a logistical headache to film your protagonist missing a hand all the time. Might be more trouble than it's worth, and perhaps there's a more effective way to deal with that.

I'm very curious what's going on, but I'm not sure they have any interest in letting us know how it was leaking. I don't know what they'd accomplish by acknowledging that it's a problem.
It could be intentional.

Leaks never hurt LOST and it hasn't hurt TWD. When you look at the commercials during twd, the shows that air after it, the way they make mad men ads around a twd theme, game ads, sci fi shows, I'd bet that the leaks are probably another form of publicity.
That's possible, but this isn't something like Showtime where they actively leak the pilots for their shows pretty often. It just seems like more trouble than it's worth for them to write plot summaries and spoiler pics so they can leak them.

OMGGG rick losing his hand was the ONE THING from the comic that I didn't want on the show. It's easy in a comic but on a TV show it's just...bad.

edit: my conspiracy is that they are leaking things on purpose lol. I don't know why but that's something I can believe, get the people on the bubble to continue watching when they read the awesome shit about to happen.

Also as for Daryl, I really hope they continue making him and Rick become closer pals. I really liked Daryl standing up to him to a panicking carol. If they do keep building their friendship, then HONESTLY, I could live without Tyreese. I like daryl that much.

gdt

I'd rather Rick would lose his hand, but I can imagine how big a pain it would be to film a tv show like that. Wonder how the Governor will hurt Rick then....

ultron87

Maybe they can take one of Rick's eyes instead of the hand? Something equally grievous and permanent, but way easier to film.

An-Det

Maybe they can take one of Rick's eyes instead of the hand? Something equally grievous and permanent, but way easier to film.

I can see that happening. Plus it would have the similar effect of affecting his marksmanship (though not quite as bad as losing the hand).

BLACKLAC

Works with the revenge scene.....
jm0o36m02p20opt5g.jpg

Fry

All this talk about the hand made me remember of this:

When his character, Jack Bauer, got a new tattoo (part of the plot line) for Season 3 of "24 Horas" (2001) instead of having to go though tedious make up for each scene which the tattoo would show, Kiefer had a real tattoo inked onto his arm.

Surely Andrew Lincoln wouldn't do something similar. :p

Can you imagine to pain of filming a show where it's protagonist doesn't have a hand? It would be a pain in the ass. I doubt they'll go through with it.

blackflag

Damnit, I heard early walking dead comic prices were getting crazy. I thought I had them from #1-#21 but I only have #7-21. Lame. There are some 400 dollar prices for #19 with bids on them on eBay. Guess I need to get it graded. First appearance of Michonne...probably go up a lot during next season.

So Kirkman says Rick losing his hand was a major mistake. I guess that won't happen in season 3 then?
Did he ever elaborate on why he thought it was a major mistake?

Eye patch might work, though I wonder how much of an issue that'd be for Andrew Lincoln on set trying to do action sequences with bad depth perception and the like.

Also as for Daryl, I really hope they continue making him and Rick become closer pals.
lAEvt.gif

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The showrunner Glen Mazzara shared some info for season 3 and 4. I will spoil it up though for the few that want to read.

"There is a lot of great material from the comic book. This show would have to go on for twenty years to get to all of it. I think the Tyrese character is someone we are interested in introducing at some point. We still have Morgan and Dwayne, who are out there from the pilot. We are interested in them. There are new characters that will be original too the series. Not coming straight from the comic book. I think the first two seasons have served as a prologue. Now we are hitting the ground running. I see Season 3 resetting the show in terms of what I really hope to convey."

Some old characters/possibly new characters are mentioned in this part.

"There is a lot of great material from the comic book. This show would have to go on for twenty years to get to all of it. I think the Tyrese character is someone we are interested in introducing at some point. We still have Morgan and Dwayne, who are out there from the pilot. We are interested in them. There are new characters that will be original too the series. Not coming straight from the comic book. I think the first two seasons have served as a prologue. Now we are hitting the ground running. I see Season 3 resetting the show in terms of what I really hope to convey."

ShinAmano

Damnit, I heard early walking dead comic prices were getting crazy. I thought I had them from #1-#21 but I only have #7-21. Lame. There are some 400 dollar prices for #19 with bids on them on eBay. Guess I need to get it graded. First appearance of Michonne...probably go up a lot during next season.

Well...they are re-printing the Omnibus Books and they are going for $50 or so. IMO...they are the way to go.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Works with the revenge scene.....
jm0o36m02p20opt5g.jpg

Some of that scene, it's almost hard to figure out the scope of what she's doing.

So, what does she do with the spoon before she takes out the eye? Is she ramming it up his ass, so it's covered in shit when she does it? Also, when she kicks him back, I assume the nail-through-the-pecker rips through, and she (before leaving) takes one final sword slash at it, cutting it off?

Still up there in "most gruesome torture scenes" in fiction.

BLACKLAC

So, what does she do with the spoon before she takes out the eye? Is she ramming it up his ass, so it's covered in shit when she does it? Also, when she kicks him back, I assume the nail-through-the-pecker rips through, and she (before leaving) takes one final sword slash at it, cutting it off?

right on all counts.

Did he ever elaborate on why he thought it was a major mistake?

Eye patch might work, though I wonder how much of an issue that'd be for Andrew Lincoln on set trying to do action sequences with bad depth perception and the like.

lAEvt.gif

Here's a link to the interview with Kirkman. Sounds like just general "shit, I wrote myself into a corner with this" regrets.
'Walking Dead' exec: 'We shouldn't cut off Rick's hand'

He explained: "When I'm writing a comic book, I don't think about what I'm doing. I go, 'Oh, it'd be pretty cool if they cut his hand off right now. That'd be pretty shocking, right?'. Then I do it, and five issues later, I write 'Rick opens a can of beans' and then I look at the script and think 'He can't do that now'. I didn't even think that through."

Certainly. I like that they're changing it, just from the perspective of having read the books. Like, something horrible's gonna happen to Rick, I just don't know what now. Good stuff.

Leucrota

Man, Rick with an eye patch, and his awesome jacket and gun belt having sideways would be BOSS.

Yea just shoot him in the eye
a la Carl
and I would be happy. But I dont think it is realistic to lose a hand or leg and be one of the premier zombie survivalists in the apocalypse.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Raoh

Here's a link to the interview with Kirkman. Sounds like just general "shit, I wrote myself into a corner with this" regrets.
'Walking Dead' exec: 'We shouldn't cut off Rick's hand'

Sigh...

It's that scenario he set up about the opening the can but can't due to missing a hand that makes it good, gives it a sense of 'oh shit, life if fucked up"

How is opening a can of beans a better option than cutting off a hand when it comes to showing how screwed up the world has become?

The tv show decisions are much worse than the comic ones. I never once said, "i wish they didn't do that" in the comic.. in the show? Lots of things I would not have agreed to allowing during the decision process.

Watching Rick fumble with the shotgun as he gets used to using only one hand was awesome.

Not sure if it's been posted, but Glen Mazzara talked about how long the prison arc will last on tv:

"Right now, I do see the prison storyline lasting through both Season 3 and 4. I do think that is a major storyline. I know we were on the farm, perhaps, longer than people wanted. There were reasons for that. What we want is for that prison to not feel claustrophobic. I think the farm played a little claustrophobic for some people. Now that the entire landscape has fallen victim to the zombie apocalypse, zombies are literally at the gates of this prison. That prison is a very small safe corner. There is a lot of danger around. It won't feel like we are bottled up, the way we were on the farm. I do think that prison is a significant storyline, but we are also interested in opening up this world. The Governor has the world of Woodbury. There are other factors out there, other groups. I do think that Rick's group is stumbling into a much larger world."

Source

Raoh

Not sure if it's been posted, but Glen Mazzara talked about how long the prison arc will last on tv:

"Right now, I do see the prison storyline lasting through both Season 3 and 4. I do think that is a major storyline. I know we were on the farm, perhaps, longer than people wanted. There were reasons for that. What we want is for that prison to not feel claustrophobic. I think the farm played a little claustrophobic for some people. Now that the entire landscape has fallen victim to the zombie apocalypse, zombies are literally at the gates of this prison. That prison is a very small safe corner. There is a lot of danger around. It won't feel like we are bottled up, the way we were on the farm. I do think that prison is a significant storyline, but we are also interested in opening up this world. The Governor has the world of Woodbury. There are other factors out there, other groups. I do think that Rick's group is stumbling into a much larger world."

Source

good read, thanks,

LakeEarth

Sigh...

It's that scenario he set up about the opening the can but can't due to missing a hand that makes it good, gives it a sense of 'oh shit, life if fucked up"

How is opening a can of beans a better option than cutting off a hand when it comes to showing how screwed up the world has become?
To be fair, it'd be hard to do logistically. The actor would always have to wear long sleeved shirts, use up special effect money on showing his stump, etc. They could have the same thing happen to a minor character, thus they wouldn't have to deal with it as much.

There is so much that needs to happen in the next arc that I can see them splitting it to season 3/4 or at least season 3 and half of 4.

There is so much that needs to happen in the next arc that I can see them splitting it to season 3/4 or at least season 3 and half of 4.
Is it really that much? I can't remember how many TPB's encompass the Prison arc, but 16 episodes is a lot of time on a tv show.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Yup, that's a ton of material. Maybe they can spread it out over S3 & S4.

Emwitus

Source

I sense some form of contradiction in this guys statement. But, anyhow.

Is it really that much? I can't remember how many TPB's encompass the Prison arc, but 16 episodes is a lot of time on a tv show.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Yup, that's a ton of material. Maybe they can spread it out over S3 & S4.
just think of all the individual events that have to take place, and they can't just happen, that requires build up, and then think of all the characters that need to be introduced and established and so on and so forth.

So yeah tons of material. As long as Mezzara sticks to his word that he is looking for a much better pace then they can stretch it out as long as they want. The problem with the farm was there were like 4 episode stretches of not a whole lot happening. But post mid-season finale was great.

And they did say that's what we can expect from now on.

BY2K

Membero Americo
A LOT happens in the prison arc, and a lot of it is also some pretty important stuff.

I do hope that it means Lori will bite the dust in season 3.

LakeEarth

You guys think they're still gonna kill
the infant?
Not many TV shows have had the balls for that. They already didn't have the balls to have Carl kill a living Shane.

bengraven

So I think I'm caught up with the comics (Just finished #94) for the most part.

Are we allowed to openly post spoilers here? I'm seeing some things blatantly shown (like Lori getting killed) and yet I'm also seeing a lot of black bars.

A LOT happens in the prison arc, and a lot of it is also some pretty important stuff.

I do hope that it means Lori will bite the dust in season 3.
if the arc does last that long I honestly don't see how that DOESN'T happen. When the arc is over they have to maintain that feeling like it was the most epic thing to go down yet, not that many survivors of the whole event, a significant character needs to go.

Also making it someone who the fans aren't big for just makes it easier :p

edit: I'm pretty sure you can post whatever you want in this thread. I don't know.

andycapps

You guys think they're still gonna kill
the infant?
Not many TV shows have had the balls for that. They already didn't have the balls to have Carl kill a living Shane.

That's wasn't the reason behind it, Mazzara said so. He said they were going to have Carl kill living Shane, but that that would have made Rick's character appear weak in that he couldn't have done it. Decision was made to make Rick seem stronger, while still having Carl involved in the second part of the kill.

I'm excited about the prison arc for next season and beyond. I just hope that it's a huge facility that they're able to use and that it doesn't feel claustrophobic. I'm really happy with where Mazzara is taking this and he seems to be on the right track. Interested to see what he can do next season where he's starting over in many ways.

Raoh

To be fair, it'd be hard to do logistically. The actor would always have to wear long sleeved shirts, use up special effect money on showing his stump, etc. They could have the same thing happen to a minor character, thus they wouldn't have to deal with it as much.

And if they used that as an argument I would understand and accept it as fact, but to say we want to see him opening beans is just a poor reason.

Raoh

That's wasn't the reason behind it, Mazzara said so. He said they were going to have Carl kill living Shane, but that that would have made Rick's character appear weak in that he couldn't have done it. Decision was made to make Rick seem stronger, while still having Carl involved in the second part of the kill.

I'm excited about the prison arc for next season and beyond. I just hope that it's a huge facility that they're able to use and that it doesn't feel claustrophobic. I'm really happy with where Mazzara is taking this and he seems to be on the right track. Interested to see what he can do next season where he's starting over in many ways.

But the only reason that is even a situation to consider is because they kept shane alive so long. Shane was supposed to have been killed very early on before we see Rick battling his moral demons.

That scene with Dale, Rick and Shane was when he should have died, Rick would not have looked weak if Dale or Carl got the jump on Shane aiming a rifle at Rick.

The prison was a huge facility in the comic. Everyone had entire wings to themselves, it took a few days I think before they found the cafeteria.

LakeEarth

But the only reason that is even a situation to consider is because they kept shane alive so long. Shane was supposed to have been killed very early on before we see Rick battling his moral demons.

That scene with Dale, Rick and Shane was when he should have died, Rick would not have looked weak if Dale or Carl got the jump on Shane aiming a rifle at Rick.

The prison was a huge facility in the comic. Everyone had entire wings to themselves, it took a few days I think before they found the cafeteria.

I'm pretty sure they found the cafeteria the first time they were clearing the prison out. Took them a while to find things like the generator and weapons locker, though.

Top Bottom