• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I thought it was an unusually dark episode, but a very well directed and paced one. It really explored the lows of Bart's character (and his eventual regret) and Lisa's reaction to them. Not the most quotable lines, but some nice gags in there still.

SmithersCantSitDown.png

It actually gave me some of the same vibes that Bart of Darkness did in a way. I'll agree it's one of the darkest episodes in the classics, but I'm a bit shocked to hear people put it amongst the worst.

GO TO BREAD

Shaneus

The best thing about being home sick from work the past two days has been watching the simpsons all day on the couch. Yesterday was Season 4. Today was season 5. If I'm still too sick to work tomorrow, it'll be Season 6.
Let me guess, sick again? How is your juice loosener?
lbjh4.png

123rl

I just watched the 22 Short Stories About Springfield. It's such a funny episode; the Aurora Borealis joke with Skinner/Chalmers, the multiple Pulp Fiction references, the bubblegum in Lisa's hair etc. So I'm up to series 7 now and it hasn't slowed down or dropped in quality at all yet. It's amazing that so many episodes have held up so well after 20 years

Natetan

I just watched the 22 Short Stories About Springfield. It's such a funny episode; the Aurora Borealis joke with Skinner/Chalmers, the multiple Pulp Fiction references, the bubblegum in Lisa's hair etc. So I'm up to series 7 now and it hasn't slowed down or dropped in quality at all yet. It's amazing that so many episodes have held up so well after 20 years

I remember being on a high school trip way down in new Orleans. We were in a resturant with a tv, and everybody In the class wanted to watch the Simpsons and that episode was on.

I wonder if there is a show people could so universally agree on.

Fugu

Awhile back someone linked a youtube video of Homer on the couch from the Stonecutters episode where Lisa says "beware the Ides of March!" and he responds "no"; does anyone have a link to this video?

UberTag

Classic era ends partway through Season 9 (thanks to holdovers from past seasons). Enjoy the rest of the ride! :)

Really? I thought it was an unusually dark episode, but a very well directed and paced one. It really explored the lows of Bart's character (and his eventual regret) and Lisa's reaction to them. Not the most quotable lines, but some nice gags in there still.

It actually gave me some of the same vibes that Bart of Darkness did in a way. I'll agree it's one of the darkest episodes in the classics, but I'm a bit shocked to hear people put it amongst the worst.
You'll find people that rag on the best of episodes. Don't let it get to you.

Incidentally, if you're in to dark comedy with Bart & Lisa as the focus one post-classic era episode you'll want to check out is Dial 'N' For Nerder. A harmless gag of Bart's goes terribly wrong and they believe they've accidentally killed Martin Prince and try to cover it up.

Stet

Banned

SmithersCantSitDown.png

"I can always sell seeds. You want some seeds?"
"No thanks."

I didn't think he'd do "Moon River," but then -- bam! -- second encore!
Nelson Muntz: What is this place?
Bart: Branson, Missouri. My dad says it's like Vegas -- if it were run by Ned Flanders.
Nelson: (sees a sign advertising an Andy Williams concert) Andy Williams!
Bart: Aw, we don't need to stop here.
Nelson: Yes we do. (punches Bart in the back of the head)

painey

so thanks to that episode I took my girlfriend to Knoxville, TN JUST for the Sunsphere.. and man is it underwhelming. She was pissed and didn't even get any of the parking under the sunsphere jokes

edit:
adsTsl.jpg

B.K.

so thanks to that episode I took my girlfriend to Knoxville, TN JUST for the Sunsphere.. and man is it underwhelming. She was pissed and didn't even get any of the parking under the sunsphere jokes

edit:
adsTsl.jpg

HA-HA!

Did you at least go up in it? I think it's been reopened to visitors.

Natetan

edit:
adsTsl.jpg

holy crap, it's REAL?!

I never thought i'd say this but, i want to go to TN now...

painey

HA-HA!

Did you at least go up in it? I think it's been reopened to visitors.

Nope! We were there at 9am and It didn't open until 11am and we had to leave for North Carolina.. they were also cleaning the pool for something that was coming up so it was drained.. then I nearly got arrested by a cop for taking a photo of something that was a elementary school which I thought was a University. At least the Chocolate shop nearby was cool and had some awesome photos of the Worlds Fair

AWESOME!

(I did the same to my wife with Casa Bonita from South Park when we were in Colorado haha)

123rl

Two words: Shary Bobbins

Probably my favourite episode of all time. Every line is perfect, cleverly written, and it is so funny. It's a true classic. Season 8 has some really strong episodes. By this point the show had a lot of pull so the guests and cameos were much more prevalent

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Who the hell's house is that?

EDIT: Ah, seems like the image is reversed, for some reason.

Reversing the image prevents copyright takedowns. Somehow...

But yeah, that was awful. As were the other three sketches with it. One of the worst Christmas episodes.

i think that was a primary example of when cracks started to show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7if6DSXTk&feature=related

Eh, I mean, it's a meh gag, but there were lots of those scattered around the classics too. Sherry Bobbins had me in tears the first time I watched it. Homer chasing down the nannies at the door, Sherry and Barney drunk on the couch, Bobbins getting sucked into the turbine, so good. Everything before Behind the Laughter is okay with me. Behind the Laughter is everything horrible that was about to happen to the Simpsons. You can literally see the tone of the modern Simpsons being born here. Sure there were some slip ups occasionally before, but it's so drastically apparent here.

And also, they planned this all along lol.

Eh, I mean, it's a meh gag, but there were lots of those scattered around the classics too. Sherry Bobbins had me in tears the first time I watched it. Homer chasing down the nannies at the door, Sherry and Barney drunk on the couch, Bobbins getting sucked into the turbine, so good. Everything before Behind the Laughter is okay with me. Behind the Laughter is everything horrible that was about to happen to the Simpsons. You can literally see the tone of the modern Simpsons being born here. Sure there were some slip ups occasionally before, but it's so drastically apparent here.

Haha, so true.

Is this deadpan-humor?

It's still one of my favorite scenes with Troy McClure how he presses out the orange in such a dumb, unique way, then cut and Homer does it the same way. :D

hemtae

You are a terrible person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom