• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve engineer confirms Linux-based Steambox for 2013, could appear at GDC or E3

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man i really hope for a closed pc like c64 and amiga, with new models every 3-4 years, if so d1.
Linux is not so promising for games tough.

What are the other options? It's linux or develop a completely new OS. Windows isn't a real option because then they would just be releasing Steam branded gaming PCs and there really is no profit in that and they gain no more control than they already have.

well I must say it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months,
more competition the better forces everyone else to up their game.

Exuro

So are the games going to be pc titles on linux(with perhaps special settings for steam box systems?) or more console-like? I think I'd much prefer the first if it were possible.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, is it a console or a PC? If it's a console, I don't want it, it won't have any of the Steam/PC advantages (the library is of course included in this) in order to conform to people's expectations for a console, plus they're not going to have a pull bigger than Microsoft's in that space which makes me question the market potential. While if it's a PC, again I don't care, unless I can get nice parts cheaper than elsewhere with it, but it still won't really affect anything in the grand scheme of things imo, when people can just as well buy any PC, stick Linux on it and install Steam, why pay for the brand on top (again unless it's cheaper than elsewhere). Using the term Steambox doesn't shed light on what they intend to do, unless the guy said console, I wish they'd clear that up. But right now I just can't see how this could be anything truly significant whichever route they take, PC or console, since they can't do both in one like some people seem to think you can have a console a la Xbox yet run the whole Steam library or even just the Linux library, yet absolutely none of what they think is too complex or annoying about PC gaming, ie, settings, performance, need to upgrade, etc. PC and console are mutually exclusive approaches. I guess it might be a little innovative if it's the first fully digital distribution based console (then again, PSP Go) but that's the extent of the appeal I can see coming, and the other companies can easily adjust to match, put more focus on having every title available digitally etc, and maybe adjust pricing if the Steambox does it cheaper and seems like it could evolve into a significant threat.

Orayn

So are the games going to be pc title on linux(with perhaps special settings for steam box systems?) or more console-like? I think I'd much prefer the first if it were possible.

They'll definitely be PC games, though there's bound to be an emphasis on Big Picture Mode friendly titles given all the talk about Valve moving PCs into the living room.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This is going to be absolutely awesome if it takes off. Imagine all of the open source apps that could be running on your SteamBox. If Valve can get the community involved, it'll be great.

Meelow

Banned
Megaton, really excited for Steambox!

Question though would this be competing with WiiU/PS4/X720 (aka now being big 4?) or is it like Ouya, etc?

qwerty2k

I don't see back catalogue as an issue to launch with...

People who have a back catalogue already have a device to play that catalogue on. Any future games if Valve can convince big publishers to port to linux/steambox then i think it makes their platform viable. I'm sure as it becomes more popular older back catalogue titles will be ported to it.

desu

- will run linux
- according to Krasnow, Valve is working on AR/VR projects, no clear mention if we will see any of them in 2013
- reveal of Steam Box won't be the only thing for 2013, they are working on other secret projects (hardware ;)) which they plan to release in 2013
- they are saying it will be interesting to see if Valve will show of Steam Box at GDC or if we have to wait until E3

I saw no mentioning of an actual release of the Steam Box in 2013. That might happen, but it's not said in the article.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, but then is PS3 DirectX?

People need to stop thinking it will be "DOA" because it's not Windows. It's crazy talk.

The PS3 uses its own proprietary graphics API, although OpenGL ES plays a part.

Eideka

Banned
Valve did hint at working on a (powerful?) toolkit for porting DirectX games to OpenGL in one of their Steam for Linux blog entries.

And will the developpers make any use of that ? Will it be possible for hundreds of game to work on the Steambox ?
Frankly I don't see how this thing can compete in the console space unless it is massively more powerful than the rest.

Exuro

They'll definitely be PC games, though there's bound to be an emphasis on Big Picture Mode friendly titles given all the talk about Valve moving PCs into the living room.
Hmm so will there be a benefit to using a Steambox vs your PC(Seeing as I like having my word processors and such) or is this for more market penetration?

Saty

Hope this means they are going with a PC-centric E3 conference ; an idea they suggested for last year.

Dream Scenario: Valve putting a PC conference at E3. Showing PC exclusives and multiplatforms. Just before it ends Gabe comes on the stage: 'Oh, every game and live demo you saw this past hour and a half where running on Steambox' *removes piece of cloth to reveal the console and talk about the specs and all*.

Wonder if they might include some kind of windows wrapper/emu for compatibility or if they are really going straight linux cold turkey. It would essentially then become it's own entity separate from steam.

iNvid02

some guy on reddit made this. only problem is who is going to be fronting the cost for this stuff

ZNe5P.jpg

Linux-based ?

This thing is DOA. No way big publishers are going to port their games to the Steambox in that case unless Valve offers something significant in exchange.

Valve might have been most vocal about it, but it's not like every publisher and developer out there working on the PC is super enthusiastic about the shits MS pulling with Windows 8 marketplace.

Called it. I don't know why there were so many doubters.

Yeah, I hope a lot of posters from that other thread about Steambox most likely being linux based are enjoying their crow about now

Orayn

Hmm so will there be a benefit to using a Steambox vs your PC(Seeing as I like having my word processors and such) or is this for more market penetration?

More market penetration is what I'd say. This isn't necessarily aimed at people who have a PC and a big library of Windows games already, but anyone who's interested PC gaming but doesn't have a very capable PC and/or wants to play them on a TV with a controller.

Steam taking sides with Linux is something I could not predict a couple years ago, but since they announced Steam for Linux and a SteamBox rumours were becoming persistent, I saw this coming.

If the price is competitive and the line-up, features and specs are good enough, this could potentially change scenarios - and not only in console market, but it could also affect OS market -, seeing how poweful Steam has winned a big mindshare in these years.

Derrick01

Banned
Valve did hint at working on a (powerful?) toolkit for porting DirectX games to OpenGL in one of their Steam for Linux blog entries.

They also need to port over something like d3doverrider so I don't have to use vsync in game and take a performance hit. As far as I know that doesn't work for OpenGL games.

I really hate Microsoft's dominance on the PC market. I hope this puts a significant amount of competition for them so we can finally be free from their boot. I'm highly considering this system. Think I will take it over the other consoles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They also need to port over something like d3doverrider so I don't have to use vsync in game and take a performance hit. As far as I know that doesn't work for OpenGL games.

There's no need when you can force triple buffering at the driver level.

TreIII

Tentatively interested. Especially if this:

...becomes something that's actually supported.

aeolist

Banned
I really want a Valve controller so I can get rid of this 360 pad and its various inadequacies.

Bonus points for a small touchscreen in the middle.

x3sphere

All other consoles run on non Windows operating systems, have those been DOA too? Don't get some of the logic in this thread...

Mario007

So is this Valve basically entering the console race? And if so, can we expect to have it be very powerful, with Valve games being exclusive to it?

some guy on reddit made this. only problem is who is going to be fronting the cost for this stuff

http://i.imgur.com/ZNe5P.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

that's pretty much the idea I had in mind when they first announced this project. There's definitely a market I think for a user friendly console experience on an upgradeable PC. I'm not so sure about the "valve brand GPU" bit, but something modular like that would be plausible.

aeolist

Banned
Wait did anyone really expect this to be Windows-based? Microsoft wouldn't license their OS to someone who wants to strip out the entire front end UI and put in an alternate software storefront.

This just means that Valve has an enormously powerful motivation to make Linux a top-shelf gaming OS. It's going to be awesome (probably not at first though).

Durante

Well, in the end Linux is the only thing that makes sense for what they want to achieve. I'd be really happy if this causes more games to get Linux versions, even though I'm going to continue using Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

Top Bottom