• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I seriously always thought this was just a punchline used in comedies to giggle at how narrow minded the characters were. I am quite shocked to find out it is actually true.

Maybe I shouldn’t be that surprised. Shame though, big shame.

It's the result of having almost every piece of mainstream media in the western world cater to you your entire life.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I still remember Walmart having warning signs taped up in the DVD section when Pan's Labyrinth came out. So many people had bought the movie and returned it when they found it was subtitled that Walmart decided they needed to save folks lol.

But to be fair, the marketing campaign for that movie did everything it could to hide the fact it was a foreign language film.

Haha, yep. Foreign language films and TV are niche as hell in the US.

I'm worried a little over at Syfy with Blood Drive cancelled after one season , Dark Matter cancelled after three seasons (i liked what i've seen only saw Season 1) , and Killjoys renwed for it's final two seasons (4 and 5) it has me worried Z Nation may be going into it's fourth and final season I know all things must come to an end but it seems like Syfy is making it's rounds and I don't want my hubby to be the next target.

Aiii

So not worth it
Syfy has always been trigger happy with cancellations. Which is why I was very surprised when The Expanse ultimately chose Syfy (because it gave them a full season order pre-pilot), I still worry it will be cancelled after three seasons.

Basically, I never expect a Syfy show to go over three seasons and adjust my expectations accordingly.

I'm worried a little over at Syfy with Blood Drive cancelled after one season , Dark Matter cancelled after three seasons (i liked what i've seen only saw Season 1) , and Killjoys renwed for it's final two seasons (4 and 5) it has me worried Z Nation may be going into it's fourth and final season I know all things must come to an end but it seems like Syfy is making it's rounds and I don't want my hubby to be the next target.
I hope Sharknado 6 will not be cancelled.

Also, I'm still waiting for a Z Nation and Sharknado giant crossover with zombie sharks in tornadoes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I don't think Inhumans ever stood a chance.

They announced it out of nowhere less than a year ago, decided from the get go to rush it out as quickly as (in)humanly possible, gave it a tiny budget post episode 3 (IMAX apparently only funded the first two episodes?), and decided that Scott Buck of all people should be the one to crank it out (in all fairness, even without Scott Buck, the show probably would have ended up being terrible because literally no one can throw together a competent 8 hour blockbuster series in 3 months with little to no prep).

Like. What the fuck was anyone thinking?

i-Lo

I'm so gutted that they cancelled Dark Matter. It looked like it had a solid story arc underway. Breaks my heart when space sci-fis get cancelled when they are so very rare to begin with. Seldom have I wished for Netflix to pick up and continue a show like I have for DM.

Kevin

I'm so gutted that they cancelled Dark Matter. It looked like it had a solid story arc underway. Breaks my heart when space sci-fis get cancelled when they are so very rare to begin with. Seldom have I wished for Netflix to pick up and continue a show like I have for DM.

Yup all of my friends were watching this. I didn't bother because SyFy has been notorious of canceling good shows without giving them any kind of conclusion whike rebewing the less quality shows. It looks like at lease Killjoys will get to finish out but most SyFy shows don't get that luxury and thus I don't bother with SyFy content.

berzeli

Banned
I don't think Inhumans ever stood a chance.

They announced it out of nowhere less than a year ago, decided from the get go to rush it out as quickly as (in)humanly possible, gave it a tiny budget post episode 3 (IMAX apparently only funded the first two episodes?), and decided that Scott Buck of all people should be the one to crank it out (in all fairness, even without Scott Buck, the show probably would have ended up being terrible because literally no one can throw together a competent 8 hour blockbuster series in 3 months with little to no prep).

Like. What the fuck was anyone thinking?
Inhumans definitely was doomed from the start. It wasn't made because someone had an idea for a show, it was made so IMAX could put something out on Labor Day weekend since GoT did fairly well for them. That's not a basis for a show.

Not that they did themselves any favours by hiring Scott Buck.

kevin1025

Banned
Yup all of my friends were watching this. I didn't bother because SyFy has been notorious of canceling good shows without giving them any kind of conclusion whike rebewing the less quality shows. It looks like at lease Killjoys will get to finish out but most SyFy shows don't get that luxury and thus I don't bother with SyFy content.

I'm still concerned for Channel Zero, even though it's been renewed for multiple years. Renewals aren't a certainty for making it to air anymore, which is unfortunate.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
it was made so IMAX could put something out on Labor Day weekend since GoT did fairly well for them.

Right. But why insist on September 2017 as the start date? Why not September 2018? Or hell, even September 2019? And why did ABC, a channel with decades of experience making television of all shapes and sizes, agree to IMAX's plan if they knew it wouldn't be feasible? Agents of Shield is only moderately successful for them, Agent Carter was a bomb, and their Mockingbird/Lance spin off died on the vine, so why agree to a new show - especially one that would require a budget that they clearly weren't comfortable supporting? Like.

Kevin

I'm still concerned for Channel Zero, even though it's been renewed for multiple years. Renewals aren't a certainty for making it to air anymore, which is unfortunate.

Ratings were not very good. Season 2 is filmed. If it was already renewed for a season 3 then I entirely expect it will quickly get canceled after that. Obviously it will depend on performance but the season one ratings were not good. Also I'm usually right about these things but hopefully I'll be wrong.

Decado

Yeah, Syfy has a lot of fun programming and it is disappointing that they still cancel their good shows without a conclusion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are they cancelling the Last Ship because this season is horrific and it's not that good a show anyway, well last season wasn't too bad. It feels like their budget was axed to nothing and spent it on Robocop.

They were filming a scene involving a helicopter about 2 weeks ago outside my house so I assume they are still producing more of it.

Joni

It was already renewed last year (2016), not only for a fourth season (2017), but also for a fifth and final season (2018).
Did they ever specify it would be the last season? While that makes a lot of sense and would be my guess, I don't think I saw them confirm it.

Did they ever specify it would be the last season? While that makes a lot of sense and would be my guess, I don't think I saw them confirm it.
I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere that the fifth season would be the last one, but I can't remember where to find the information again.

jelly

It's already been renewed.

It was already renewed last year (2016), not only for a fourth season (2017), but also for a fifth and final season (2018).

What?

Peter Weller is in it this season.

They were filming a scene involving a helicopter about 2 weeks ago outside my house so I assume they are still producing more of it.

Thanks. I'm just kinda watching as there is nothing much else on until fall shows start up again. Think I'll probably drop it, been a poor season so far.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
^^^

@Ratsky how long until ABC pulls the plug on this embarrassment of television.

ABC will let it run its course since it's only 8 episodes - it helps that expectations are already low and that they're airing it on Friday nights. If it's a mega bomb they may air 2 episodes a night so SHIELD can come back faster, but I don't see anything actually preventing it from airing in full.

Yeah, ABC will air every episode of Inhumans, it's only 8 episodes. I eagerly anticipate them trying to spin the godawful ratings it's bound to have. What will they use? YoY growth in key demos such as males 12-17? My oh my...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Berz keep your cursed ass OT making away from my B99 S5 thread ;_;

Are they cancelling the Last Ship because this season is horrific and it's not that good a show anyway, well last season wasn't too bad.
Honestly I have disliked this season so much compared to the others it did cross my mind that maybe they were trying to sink it.

Aiii

So not worth it
All Michael Schur shows take a dive after Michael Schur moves on to the next show.

That said, The Good Place is his best work yet.

d5cx0QfCrhYg8.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So I should definitely make a B99 thread is what you're saying?

Hey, like I said, somehow Flaked got a second season. Allegedly.
And my track record is pretty good; The OA got renewed, Feud got renewed, and Please Like Me got renewed.

I've only managed to kill Ascension and Emerald City, so like you're welcome?

The OA was renewed? o_O

Rhaknar

So Ratsky was overly ambitious to include it in the fall TV thread?
(I will not take responsibility for the shit I say but will gladly shift the blame to someone else)

We should all shift the blame to Ratsky.

^^^

ABC will let it run its course since it's only 8 episodes - it helps that expectations are already low and that they're airing it on Friday nights. If it's a mega bomb they may air 2 episodes a night so SHIELD can come back faster, but I don't see anything actually preventing it from airing in full.
But what about Once Upon A Time?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But what about Once Upon A Time?

I think it's extremely rare for a channel to pull an established (5+ season) show off the air without letting it finish its season. Once may end up cancelled at the end of the season, but ABC isn't going to pull it off the air before it finishes its run.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Every piece of marketing I've seen for The Orville has marketed it as a straight up comedy. So when it's not funny and not even trying to be funny, the knives will come out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
First prediction of the season!

The Orville - 1.1

EDIT: Wait, does it have football as a lead in? If so, The Orville - 2.2

(Son of Zorn premiered last year to a football inflated 2.4)

The Orville - 0.8

and that's on a good day. Might even hit 0.6 if the people that bail out after five minutes are not included in the rating.

edit: if the football lead-in compensates for it, then you can expect this rating for the second episode.

berzeli

Banned
First prediction of the season!

The Orville - 1.1

EDIT: Wait, does it have football as a lead in? If so, The Orville - 2.2

(Son of Zorn premiered last year to a football inflated 2.4)

Hmm if Son of Zorn opened to 2.4, this is should be above that. MacFarlane is a known enough quantity, and a sci-fi comedy (which is what it has been sold as) should be an easier sell than weird ass live-action hybrid thing.

Then again, ratings are trending downward across the board.

Eh, I'm going with 2.3

Top Bottom