• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

That did well for Rayman Origins didn't it? Oh wait...

Rayman has a small chance of it doing well at that time of the year. Though to be fair, Rayman Origins was released in November, while Legends is going to release in September where it will be less busy.

If the logic here is that there are a bunch of releases on other consoles during that time then I guess this would have run into Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Aliens Colonial Marines, Star Craft 2 Heart of the Swarm, God of War Ascension, Gears of war Judgement, and Crysis 3.

DaBoss

In last years conference call Ubisoft remarked that Origins was profitable and that they were making Rayman into one of their active franchises so it wasn't all doom and gloom for that game.

Oh, I'm definitely not going to say it wasn't a successful game, but that is in the long-run. The video game industry is pretty much constantly looking at the short-run for sales of video games. If you aren't making games that have Mario, Pokemon, GTA, and etc. in the name, the games won't have legs that will do atleast half of the initial year sales.

If the logic here is that there are a bunch of releases on other consoles during that time then I guess this would have run into Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Aliens Colonial Marines, Star Craft 2 Heart of the Swarm, God of War Ascension, Gears of war Judgement, and Crysis 3.

Difference is the Wii U has nothing. So a release at this time would have a lot more Wii U owners buying it. There would obviously be a port eventually to PS360.

Not buying the game doesn't give the message that it's not okay to delay the game; it gives the impression that you don't want more games like it full stop. I guess the best way to respond is to directly contact Ubisoft to voice your disapproval rather than punish the hardworking devs with a game bombing.
So you guys mean the vocal minority that complains about anything will be taken seriously right? ;)

DSN2K

720, PS4 will get ports imo, delaying it for the HD twins so much makes very little sense business wise.

jerd

On Wii U?

Edit: I think most people are arguing that there is no reason to not release a finished game on a starved platform.

The pressure they received was from Nintendo.

You have something like just over 2 million WiiU owners right now vs nearly 150 million PS360 owners. Ubisoft did the math and realised that for them. It wasn't worth it.

Who's fault. Nintendo for not having a much bigger user base at this time.

this was suppose to be Launch or near Launch how could they even reach a userbase large enough to fight greed in just 4 months?

Resilient

1 of which is being released on Wii U. Game starved Wii U owners would have gobbled this up.

Ydahs

A Multiplatform game with marketing behind it as well as recent website coverage at the start of the Holiday pushing season prime for sales on 3 consoles at the busiest time of the year for shopping.
There's your answer. There's going to be a ton of games that will sweep Rayman Legends under the rug because Ubisoft isn't going to match the marketing budget when their last Rayman title flopped. Your mainstream audience, young and old, is going to be salivating over GTAV, not Rayman.

WiiU owners? If Nintendo releases one of their big titles slated for this year in that month, there goes any chance of Rayman being successful on the WiiU. WiiU owners would've moved on.

I personally would've bought Rayman this month, though I'm uncertain if I'll buy it day one in September if there are more attractive titles out there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sorry for the devs. But I can't support something like this.

And if the higher-ups that's one more reason to boycott a company.
1) not caring about its employees and
2) not caring about their customers make two good reason to boycott them until they change their way of doing things.

I agree. I may skip the game now, and I was really looking forward to it :/

Davey Cakes

What a mess this has created. First the rumors about Durango, and now Rayman's delay. The cages have been rattled quite a bit lately.

AGITΩ

So like Origins, now Legends will face sales competition even on Wii U to the Likes of Mario again, and also Potentially Wind Waker HD. Even if I still had hopes of buying this game...I'll be short on cash because Nintendo's bringing in the big guns this fall.

Gadirok

So are we done blaming Nintendo for this?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for Capcom's decision with Monster Hunter Ultimate online being region locked?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for Capcom not having Monster Hunter 3DS online?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for EA fucking us over with no DLC for Mass Effect 3?

Are we done blaming Nintendo for Black Ops 2 Wii U not having DLC?

Is Nintendo blameless in all situations? Of course not. Absolutely not. But to blame Nintendo for bullshit decisions that INDEPENDENT FUCKING COMPANIES make smacks of absolutely ridiculousness and idiocy. Seriously.

Really sorry to hear that about the devs. As pissed as I am, I'll buy the game. Ancel and his team deserve the credit and the cash. Unfortunately, I can't trust Yves anymore. And that's really too bad.

There must be some good reason to hold the actual wii-U release hostage besides a reason for bringing it to everyone.

I mean if its done, its done.

Nintendo does take the blame somewhere, I guess they backed out of the incentive for an exclusive or didnt pay enough for a timed exclusive.

Its like that developer mentioned, its definitely a backing out of a deal in the higher ups.

Whats more amusing is what comes after this, because this deal sounds very sour. Will Ubisoft continue to pour the support it showed for the wiiU like it did at launch, or is that done now?

I'm guessing Watch Dogs won't come on the system.

There's your answer. There's going to be a ton of games that will sweep Rayman Legends under the rug because Ubisoft isn't going to match the marketing budget when their last Rayman title flopped. Your mainstream audience, young and old, is going to be salivating over GTAV, not Rayman.

WiiU owners? If Nintendo releases one of their big titles slated for this year in that month, there goes any chance of Rayman being successful on the WiiU. WiiU owners would've moved on.

I personally would've bought Rayman this month, though I'm uncertain if I'll buy it day one in September if there are more attractive titles out there.

As opposed to the current Feb-March release schedule that wouldn't have swept Legends under the rug?

That's really mean spirited, treating devs like that. The industry is really cruel, which is completely opposite of the image you'd get of it on the surface.

Alcibiades

That lineup still doesn't compare to what is coming this fall. More importantly, there is a Wii U game drought right now where any quality release is sure to stand out. By September there will be more first party and third party games out to compete with.

megalowho

Very sympathetic if legit, I don't doubt that's how they feel after crunching through the holidays to get their game done. I'd be pretty disheartened myself if I was in that situation. Looks like it really was a snap 11th hour decision by upper management after crunching numbers, how unfortunate.

Wiz

Yeah, I will still buy this game though.

At Gamestop.

For $19.99 used.

That's coming from someone who was ready to throw down $60 for this Day 1.

Necron

I feel really sad for Michel Ancel and his team right now...

I will buy it regardless - shitty practice or not. I don't want to see the developers getting burned for Ubisoft's crappy business decisions.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
this was suppose to be Launch or near Launch how could they even reach a userbase large enough to fight greed in just 4 months?

Exactly. Especially considering that at this point in time, the Wii U has sold more than every console - except the PS2 and the original Wii.

tkscz

If the Wii U version is indeed complete, I have no idea why they would hold it back. WiiU owners (even as limited in numbers as they are) are looking for games, and if anything, positive word of mouth would help for the later releases. If all the releases come out in September, not only will they be competing with GTA and the holiday ramp up, but will also get tuned out from new console buzz. This is a major window of opportunity to have people talking about your game and possibly be heard, and yet it gets pushed back...just makes no sense whatsoever.

There so much correct in this post it hurts. Ubisoft is shooting themselves in the foot with a .50 Cal magnum. There is no way in hell Rayman Legends can compete with GTA V, Wind Waker HD, and new consoles. They are WASTING money by porting it, not making money. The game was built from the ground up on WiiU, porting would mean taking the time to correctly remove all the murphy levels, or make it so they only show up when a Vita or Tablet are connected. Then they have to remove some graphical features (can't remember which ones), and more. The man hours to go into all that so that it comes out right wastes so much money that it can't possibly get back. It's like Ubi wants this to fail.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, I will still buy this game though.

At Gamestop.

For $19.99 used.

That's coming from someone who was ready to throw down $60 for this Day 1.
Within a few months after release you may not even have to buy it used for that price, if Origins is anything to go by.

Oddly enough I agree with those who said that the game could probably have justified its full price tag longer if it had released on Wii U this month, due to the game being more in-demand for current Wii U owners and standing out in general. On multiple platforms in September, among other game releases, I'm thinking Origins will be repeated.

Wait, wait, wait.

How the hell is this Nintendo's fault now?
They didn't throw money at Ubisoft.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

To be honest. I don't understand the reason for the delay. From a financial point of view. If they had released for WiiU in Feb. Surely that would have helped fund the team to do the conversion for the other platforms.

It's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen in the video game industry. I really don't understand it.

mclem

I wonder what their projected sales for Legends on WiiU was, must have been small enough that adding a marketing budget on top didn't make it worth while releasing before the other 2 versions are ready.

What are the sales for ZombiU at now?

I assume they're doing somewhat better given that that whole new US bundle is apparently on the way... but who knows?

Lol, figured it was fake.

This news is just a stab in the heart of Wii U owners who were counting on this game in just a few weeks to be a light in the drought that's been this early launch period. I still can see no good reason why the Wii U version doesn't release on time while the others come later. I can almost guarantee the game would get more sales if the launch was done in this way as a high amount of Wii U owners would have bought it this month. With it releasing in September for all consoles it's essentially DOA. It's horrible news for the dev team who have clearly poured their hearts into the game, especially during the crunch time. The BS reasoning of "PS3/360 owners complained so we had to listen" is just PR spin as Ubisoft seems perfectly content to ignore all of the Wii U userbase's cries for games like Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs, etc. It pretty much goes against any good faith they had built up by promising to support the console during the launch window.

ozfunghi

The pressure they received was from Nintendo.

You have something like just over 2 million WiiU owners right now vs nearly 150 million PS360 owners. Ubisoft did the math and realised that for them. It wasn't worth it.

Who's fault. Nintendo for not having a much bigger user base at this time.

Nonsense. How much more could WiiU realistically have sold more? One million? 1.5? That is still is peanuts compared to 150 million and wouldn't have made that much of a difference in a larger scheme. If Ubi wanted to get the big bucks, they never should have agreed to make this a launch window exclusive to begin with.

Gadirok

To be honest. I don't understand the reason for the delay. From a financial point of view. If they had released for WiiU in Feb. Surely that would have helped fund the team to do the conversion for the other platforms.

It's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen in the video game industry. I really don't understand it.

It sounds like a sour deal, and I am curious how this bodes for future relations between Ubisoft and Nintendo.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nonsense. How much more could WiiU realistically have sold more? One million? 1.5? That is still is peanuts compared to 150 million and wouldn't have made that much of a difference in a larger scheme. If Ubi wanted to get the big bucks, they never should have agreed to make this a launch window exclusive to begin with.

Then you explain it.

nbthedude

I don't get it. I mean, I understand why from a development perspective these guys have a right to be mad that they worked really hard to meet a deadline that suddenly doesn't exist after they already met it.

But from a gamer's perspective this is just a delay like many other delays. Plenty of games are delayed for marketing reasons. It's no reason to go full on rage mode. Are you guys really just pissed that it is no longer exclusive? That's a stupid thing to be pissed about. Be glad lots of people get to play it. Origins was great. I'm sure this will be too.

Raad

Banned
Crying like children when their toys get taken away. Grow up! The game will be great. You may have to wait longer for it, so be it. Delay or no delay I will be purchasing.

Top Bottom