• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest reliable Orbis and Durango specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

Disclaimer: Everything isn't final, but the general range of these system are more or less set in stone.

Durango:
AMD CPU, 6-8 cores
Ram 3-4 GB
AMD GPU
Total processing power 1-1.2 teraflops

Note: I've heard of 8GB ram from reliable people on this form, but a certain, well respected, insider on B3D is certain that 3-4 and 1 teraflops is near final. His information is the most up to date that I've got.

Unreal 4 needing 1 TP is pretty indicative.

It seems that the IGN's 6x more than 360 article isn't that far off, but it's more like 4x 360.

Orbis:
AMD CPU 4 cores x-86
AMD GPU 1150 SPU, 1.8 teraflops, 800 mhz
2GB GDDR5 (unlikely this will be bumped to 4GB)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How does this compare to Wii U according to your sources and how do they compare to each others?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Wii-U: PS2 / Dreamcast
Orbis/Durango: Xbox / Gamecube

that would be really close (if it's PS2 that is, or was Dreamcast just underutilised?), wouldn't this be quite uncomfortable for Epic and all the other tech-freak-companies?

Prezhulio

i figured the thread titles for the respective systems, both of which contain this rumoured information, would have been sufficient. but, carry on.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So, is it hard to get 4 gigs of GDDR5 on a board or something?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this shit.

KageMaru

Sorry but this isn't accurate at all. We don't know how current the source for these rumors are. That 720 documentation is proven old, out dated, and likely not created by anyone with any engineering background. Also estimating something like FLOP count is especially silly at this time.

2MF

If these specs are even close to being true a lot of folks are going to be disappointed here.

I am a bit surprised that PS4's GPU is shown as almost 2x as powerful as the 720's though.

V_Ben

Banned
If the next PlayStation has half the ram of the next xbox, I bet Sony is going to love getting inferior multiplatform ports again... Of course, I know bugger all about this stuff. I mean, the total teraflops on Orbis is higher than on Durango according to the OP. I have no idea.

If those specs are near the true let´s start thinking about buying a new PC this year, as we won´t have to upgrade in years...

Proelite

Sorry but this isn't accurate at all. We don't know how current the source for these rumors are. That 720 documentation is proven old, out dated, and likely not created by anyone with any engineering background. Also estimating something like FLOP count is especially silly at this time.

Nothing in the op comes from the leaked doc. The people that wrote the leaked doc weren't engineers.

sTeLioSco

Banned
If those specs are near the true let´s start thinking about buying a new PC this year, as we won´t have to upgrade in years...

correct.
after the first benchmarks for multiplatform next-gen games come out,buy a graphic card that can play them and your next pc-built(if you dont want higher resolutions) will probably be needed after 5/6 years.

but by then everything will be cloud based....

Boss Man

What's the significance of the RAM difference between Orbis and Durango? It looks like Durango will have quantity, and Orbis will have quality. What's the idea behind going for the GDDR5 RAM on Sony's part? Speculate on whether that's a good or bad decision?

edit: I appreciate what you're doing here. It's worthwhile for someone who has an idea of what they're talking about and has seen all of the 'possibilities' and their sources to compile the most realistic set of data.

As stated in the OP this would be much closer to the first rumors, than the most recent.

I always thought the first lessons were practical applications learned from the Wii. A fairly impressive bit of kit, not pushing boundaries but cheap to produce, and still the requisite tech bump. Hopefully with reliability on its side.

I wouldn't be hurting for it. Anything designed after 2005 is going to seem like a huge increase anyway. Time and budget permitting.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What's the significance of the RAM difference between Orbis and Durango? It looks like Durango will have quantity, and Orbis will have quality. What's the idea behind going for the GDDR5 RAM on Sony's part? Speculate on whether that's a good or bad decision?
But is likely that Durango will have a significant heavier OS (Win 8?) since looks like MS is really aiming at a media box rather than a games consoles. (Relative) weak GPU but significantly more RAM and a strong CPU hints at this.

Cool, it's nice to see GAF posters with absolutely no proven ties to the industry get to have threads made about their completely baseless speculations. Can we please keep BGAssassin/StevieP's predictions in the relevant threads without inflating these people's egos even further?

Every rumour seems to point to the "Orbis" having 2GB of RAM, but if that were to be true, it better get some more. 2GB just won't be enough for next-gen stuff. Not sure about the details between the CPU and GPU between the two are, but I think any advantage Sony would get over Microsoft would be nullified by the lack of RAM.

Where have we heard Durango isn't using GDDR5?

But in a nutshell, GDDR5 provides more memory bandwidth (about 2x DDR3) which translates to better performance in gaming. Memory bandwidth comes in handy, especially when you're dealing w/ a large amount of HD textures.

Cool, it's nice to see GAF posters with absolutely no proven ties to the industry get to have threads made about their completely baseless speculations. Can we please keep BGAssassin/StevieP's predictions in the relevant threads without inflating these people's egos even further?
Everybody always has to be so confrontational.

*sad monkey face*

ElFly

edit: I appreciate what you're doing here. It's worthwhile for someone who has an idea of what they're talking about and has seen all of the 'possibilities' and their sources to compile the most realistic set of data.

Maybe Durango will have split memory pools? 2GB of GDDR5 and 2GB of something else, guessing DDR4?

I thought the rumors were pointing to Orbis being significantly less powerful than Durango?

That was how I had been interpreting the rumors of Microsoft caving into Epic et al. and significantly boosting Durango's specs, but apparently it just referred to RAM, I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom