• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Ganondorfo

Pitch Black Flint said:
I got one that's been buggin' me for years. This ain't gonna be easy cuz my memories are very vague, but here goes:

-NES game
-Released in US, but not sure of its origins
-Fantasy adventure theme
-Bright colors
-Side-scrolling, repetitive backgrounds, environments
-Contains indoor and outdoor exploration
-May have had something to do with finding keys
-Pretty difficult from what I remember

And that's it. That's all I remember.

Wizard and warriors?

Ashodin

- PC Game
- Adventure Point and Click (Very SHADOWGATE style though)
- Based on a boy ending up in weird worlds
- Usually was shareware
- Had multiple entries in the series
- One game starts you off in an alley, then later you go through fields and things.

Please help :(

Flint:
legacy.gif

Legacy of the Wizard?

Ganondorfo said:
Wizard and warriors?

Not even close. I remember that one. This one had more of a simplified look to it. And a highly fantasized setting. If I had to compare it to one other game, I would say Kid Icarus. But that doesn't even begin to describe it.

Maxrpg said:
Legacy of the Wizard

Still not it, sorry. Colors were brighter, and I don't remember all that status info on-screen either.

EDIT: One other thing, I think a big reason I still don't remember the title was because the typeface on the boxart was very elaborate and hard to read for me back then.

There was a NES game I couldn't figure out and don't remember the name to. It was a platformer where you began as a family in an overworld but most of the game took place underground. There were these portraits of girls that, if I remember correctly, unlocked certain areas. I couldn't figure out how to get into certain areas. If I remember, you got to choose from different characters in this family or groups of friends, one of which was a pet. It was a platformer that included ladders and again, almost all of the action took place underground. I think it had a one-screen overworld and there was a big tree.

Shiggie

An arcade action adventure game with a top down view.
It had an adventure/everquest/warcraft type look to it. I used to play the shit out of that.

coamithra

Must have played this thing 20 years ago..

it's a arcade SHMUP. Top down, vertical scrolling, and you're a guy on a cloud. There were upgrades you could pick up, probably gradius style, and one of them caused more guys on clouds to help you out. We'd play with two players where one was solely in charge of hitting that upgrade button ASAP, hehe.

It also probably featured a giant toad that you went into and a lava level. But memories may have been severely warped by the years :)

WinFonda

Only one I can think of is a SNES game that was like Megaman, but with emphasis on gun power-ups and shit, and it was 2 players. I loved that game. Can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but I rented it from Blockbuster for so long my mother's rental fee was like 80 some dollars. I'm not sure we ever paid that.

linkboy

See if anyone can track this one down.

Back in first grade we had an old Macintosh. One of games we had on it was (the best I can remember it) something with 3 monkeys and some fruit.

Here was the premise.

There are 3 different sizes of monkeys, a large one, a medium one and a small one. The fruit was up in 3 different trees at 3 different heights. The goal was to position the 3 monkeys so you could get all three pieces of fruit. The monkeys had to be positioned by size (large-medium-small) and you couldn't put the medium or large monkey on the small one or the small one on the bottom.

Anyone have a clue.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Darkmakaimura said:
There was a NES game I couldn't figure out and don't remember the name to. It was a platformer where you began as a family in an overworld but most of the game took place underground. There were these portraits of girls that, if I remember correctly, unlocked certain areas. I couldn't figure out how to get into certain areas. If I remember, you got to choose from different characters in this family or groups of friends, one of which was a pet. It was a platformer that included ladders and again, almost all of the action took place underground. I think it had a one-screen overworld and there was a big tree.

Now you're talking about Legacy of the Wizard...

Ra\/en

I remember this SNES game where you fought different robot/mechs 1 on 1 as a robot/mech of your choice.

-side scrolling arenas on multiple platforms
-split screen two player 1on1
-one of the mech/robots was large/mechwarriorish with legs
-another was a rolling ball with a stupid gun on top.
-you could get out of your mech in mid fight and run around as a silly little human.. with a small gun:lol

I remember enjoying the game quite a bit!

eso76

coamithra said:
Must have played this thing 20 years ago..

it's a arcade SHMUP. Top down, vertical scrolling, and you're a guy on a cloud. There were upgrades you could pick up, probably gradius style, and one of them caused more guys on clouds to help you out. We'd play with two players where one was solely in charge of hitting that upgrade button ASAP, hehe.

It also probably featured a giant toad that you went into and a lava level. But memories may have been severely warped by the years :)

if it's the one i'm thinking of, you did start on a cloud but the game had on foot levels too.
name escapes me right now

vesp

Siyou said:
i played these 2 imported games on my PS1 demo discs.

1. you were this sword that had to cut its way thru all sorts of mazes and such, you could control the speed of how fast u went and if u touched any walls u died.

2. you played as these monsters on these discs that u had and your objective was to hit your opponent and gather power by doing that. once u gathered enough power you could use your special move and deal damage to them. Lots of monsters and tons of fun as i recall it.

1. sounds like irritating stick.
2. no idea

StuBurns

Banned
BooJoh said:
More detail would help. Assuming you mean old B&W GameBoy, off the top of my head there's The Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa games and Great Greed.
It's pretty much all I can remember I'm afraid, which has made the search so insanely difficult. I seem to remember something about animals being combined, but maybe that function was just Pokemon and I'm confusing it.

I even thought Slime's were in it, but that wouldn't make any sense either, as I don't think any DQs were release in the UK till fairly recently.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The one game that I've never been able to recall:

- NES title, released in the US
- Isometric/three-quarter perspective
- Was a shooter
- Your character had a jetpack and a gun that could be upgraded/switched to different modes (single shots, beams, ripples, etc)
- Color scheme involved a lot of green, white and black

Mithos

Dougald said:
Ok, I've a request from my girlfriend for a game:

- BBC Micro
- Text-based adventure
- The plot was to do with finding dragons teeth(she thinks?). Occasionally you'd run into a dragon and the game would be over

I think many people have been right about this game being "Dragon's Tooth".

Dragon's Tooth, a 1986 text adventure computer game published by Incentive Software.

Very hard finding any type of screenshots on this though.

womp

Cosmic Bus said:

- Was a shooter
- Your character had a jetpack and a gun that could be upgraded/switched to different modes (single shots, beams, ripples, etc)

Captain Skyhawk?

250px-Captain_Skyhawk_Coverart.png

captain_skyhawk.gif

Very underrated game IMO.

mclem

Maxrpg said:
- PC Game
- Adventure Point and Click (Very SHADOWGATE style though)
- Based on a boy ending up in weird worlds
- Usually was shareware
- Had multiple entries in the series
- One game starts you off in an alley, then later you go through fields and things.

Please help :(

Dare to Dream?

Eccocid

Ok this may be a difficult one but if there is any answer to my question i am sure Gaf is the only place;

I played this game many years ago on one of those bootleg NES consoles (which wasn't mine)
I say many years ago probably more than 10-12 and back then games on those bootleg consoles were direct ports of NES games instead of the new ones with hacked sprites..

Ok here it goes;
It was a 2d platform game with a boy who had an eye on his forhead.. if u hold down attack button he can throw an arrow from his eye and sometimes that arrow can stuck on walls so u can jump on it to reach higher places.

There was a level which was the first one on a some sort of japanese town i guess(modern)

He had yellow costume i think like a monk. Game was quite good and had solid controls and great graphics.

CAN U NAME IT FOR ME PLS! For a Nes game it was great. IT played like Megaman, it also had some qeapon upgrades when u colect some stuff... all i remember is those arrows that he throws. PLS DO IT GAF PLS FIND THIS GAME! ITS LIKE A CHILD I LOST AT BIRTH! PLS!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
womp said:
Captain Skyhawk?

Nope, wasn't Skyhawk. You controlled a person, not a ship of any sort and it was in space or another planet.

Eccocid said:
I played this game many years ago on one of those bootleg NES consoles (which wasn't mine) ... It was a 2d platform game with a boy who had an eye on his forhead.. if u hold down attack button he can throw an arrow from his eye and sometimes that arrow can stuck on walls so u can jump on it to reach higher places.

Mitsume ga Tooru. You'll see the aforementioned arrow jumping around four minutes into the video.

Someone help me with find an old Apple Mac game that involved a granny (think it was in the title too, not 100% sure), and you had to solve things. What did you have to solve? I completely forgot!

RobertM

Cosmic Bus said:

- Was a shooter
Sounds like Isolated Warrior, great game by the way.
15nnnsg.png

Margalis

Banned
I remember playing these games where you put a suction cup over a circle at the corner of the screen and used a gun to shoot and when you hit the light on the suction cup would flash. We had a jet fighting game and police game but can never remember what it was or what it was for.

The system was called Action Max. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Max) I remember the commercial made it look like when you pressed the trigger on the light gun onscreen your jet would fire a missile at the enemy plane in response, but it was all pre-recorded video.

Not even close. I remember that one. This one had more of a simplified look to it. And a highly fantasized setting. If I had to compare it to one other game, I would say Kid Icarus. But that doesn't even begin to describe it
One other thing, I think a big reason I still don't remember the title was because the typeface on the boxart was very elaborate and hard to read for me back then.

The Battle of Olympus? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Olympus)

Ashodin

mclem said:
Dare to Dream?
OMG I FUKIN LOVE YOU THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!

It was made by Cliffy B, holy shit! No wonder I loved it! Figures I would love Gears of War too and somehow strangely are attracted to his games.

Dougald

BishopLamont said:
Someone help me with find an old Apple Mac game that involved a granny (think it was in the title too, not 100% sure), and you had to solve things. What did you have to solve? I completely forgot!

Grannys Garden? I remember the BBC micro version but I think it was on Windows/MacOS too

mujun

two games.

side scrolling game. c64. i was playing eidolon and the like about the same time. the name began i think with a "u". was something like ukuan or some weird name with u.

you started on the surface of the earth and went down into tunnels. cant even remember what the purpose was but it was sort of free roam maybe like doctor who but less focussed.

ive been trying to remember what it was forever.

second one was a birds eye view action rpg on the c64, early days before bards tale or the like id say.

you went into a dungeon and faced vampire bats at the start. was pretty deep for its time. you got different weapons and had some stats. there was a bards taleesque enemy/character window with portraits of the enemy. was a single dungeon type game in real time. didnt have an overworld or party. probably was out round 1987 or there abouts.

Eccocid

Cosmic Bus said:
Nope, wasn't Skyhawk. You controlled a person, not a ship of any sort and it was in space or another planet.

Mitsume ga Tooru. You'll see the aforementioned arrow jumping around four minutes into the video.

Shit that's it! LOL
THANKS! MARRY ME I WANNA HAVE YOUR BABIES!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I used to play an old PC game that had something to do with hospitals. All I can recall of it is being inside a body, I can atleast image walking around inside a stomach.

Another had dinosaurs in it, I just remember walking around in the different time periods.

Really vague, but this has been killing me. I don't even know if the games were any good, but I don't care, dammit!

Eccocid

Papercuts said:
I used to play an old PC game that had something to do with hospitals. All I can recall of it is being inside a body, I can atleast image walking around inside a stomach.

Another had dinosaurs in it, I just remember walking around in the different time periods.

Really vague, but this has been killing me. I don't even know if the games were any good, but I don't care, dammit!

the one with Dinos could be Lost Eden? An old PC adventure game with CG graphics and talking dinos

GreekWolf

Parallax said:
Theres this game that ive been trying to remember for a while, but i know for sure that it was created by data east and was made before 95. It was a two player fighting game that i believe had a co-op option. There was a character that was similar to guile in the game, and all the other playable characters were beasts. The guile like character had this move where he would grab the enemy and do a superjump, then slam them into the ground
That sounds alot like the old Genesis game, Fighting Masters. Maybe it was distributed by Data East outside of the states, but the game itself was made by Treco. Your character, a blonde-haired guy, had to fight in a tournament against the champion from every known alien species in the galaxy, for the right to preserve your race against extinction, before the sun goes supernova and destroys everything... or something like that. :lol

It was a horrific street fighter clone, with wonky controls, terrible graphics (even for the time) and possibly the worst techno midi soundtrack ever. But for some bizarre reason, I developed an affinity for the putrid thing. My favorite character was the robot champion from the machine world, which had a special attack that looked suspiciously like break dancing.

Zeppu

NES game, one of the first ones if I recall correctly. Platformer type of game where you are this guy with a moustache and red hat and you go around to save a girl or something. You used to eat mushrooms and things to get more powerful. The enemies were like little mushrooms as well and turtles and shit.

I remember you could set off fireworks at the end of each stage somehow...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
josephdebono said:
NES game, one of the first ones if I recall correctly. Platformer type of game where you are this guy with a moustache and red hat and you go around to save a girl or something. You used to eat mushrooms and things to get more powerful. The enemies were like little mushrooms as well and turtles

I remember you could set off fireworks at the end of each stage somehow...

You've described about 63% of the NES library.

GreekWolf said:
That sounds alot like the old Genesis game, Fighting Masters. Maybe it was distributed by Data East outside of the states, but the game itself was made by Treco. Your character, a blonde-haired guy, had to fight in a tournament against the champion from every known alien species in the galaxy, for the right to preserve your race against extinction, before the sun goes supernova and destroys everything... or something like that. :lol

It was a horrific street fighter clone, with wonky controls, terrible graphics (even for the time) and possibly the worst techno midi soundtrack ever. But for some bizarre reason, I developed an affinity for the putrid thing. My favorite character was the robot champion from the machine world, which had a special attack that looked suspiciously like break dancing.

Haha I owned that and sadly felt the same way about the game. It sucked, but I loved it so much as a kid. My favorite thing was that if you did your throws into the walls correctly you could get 4-5 hits instead of the 1 hit from the throw. I liked the boxer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkv3Drlo8mk - Ignore the talking, you'll get a good feel for how the gamw played lol.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This is one from the really early 80's You were a monkey boy going through monster castle's like Dracula and Frankenstein. The whole goal was to light all the candles on each stage and when you did, your monkey boy did a little dance. I have no idea of the name.

Tarazet

Amiga game, space shooter with vector graphics. It was packaged with a novella which I thought was really cool at the time.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I actually have one.

It was for the Commodore 64. It was an army tank game. It was setup like a sideways chess board basically. Both sides had 2 full rows of tanks. The left sided tanks were red and the right sided were green i believe.

You only controlled one at a time and the object was to kill all the other tanks. And I think there were different mazes to get to the other side to attack. I can't really remember that part. I just know i LOVED it and have never been able to find it ported.

BooJoh

stuburns said:
It's pretty much all I can remember I'm afraid, which has made the search so insanely difficult. I seem to remember something about animals being combined, but maybe that function was just Pokemon and I'm confusing it.

I even thought Slime's were in it, but that wouldn't make any sense either, as I don't think any DQs were release in the UK till fairly recently.
It sounds like you're describing the first Dragon Quest Monsters/Dragon Warrior Monsters. I dunno the UK release date, but it was a black cart GBC game that could be played on the B&W GB. It had breeding, monsters from the DQ series, and dungeons were randomly generated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofoh_D3msLc

There was also a sequel which had two versions. DWM2: Cobi's Journey and DWM2: Tara's Adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C84WaqpxXbQ

Hootie

There was some game on the Sega Saturn where you'd race these big trucks on what seemed like barren wastelands, and you could buy a shitload of mods for the trucks like missiles and guns and stuff.

I just don't remember the name =(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
PS1 RPG
I believe the first town was a port town (second might've been at the base of a mountain?)
Attacks would require you to perform moves by pressing different directions and buttons (kind of like a fighting game)
If you got a combination right then it would save that combo so you'd know how to do it later
As you gained levels you would gain more slots to do longer moves

bjaelke

Basketball game for PC which featured powerups. You could execute some powerful moves like a flaming slamdunk (think Torch from Fantastic Four). It didn't have much realism in it: You could play as a bovine standing on the back legs. As I recall it was all about doing crazy slam dunks.

tribal24

Banned
Fuzzy said:
PS1 RPG
I believe the first town was a port town (second might've been at the base of a mountain?)
Attacks would require you to perform moves by pressing different directions and buttons (kind of like a fighting game)
If you got a combination right then it would save that combo so you'd know how to do it later
As you gained levels you would gain more slots to do longer moves

legends of legaia

ok now im looking for the name of a game is for mac or pc dont remember all i remember was i was trying to solve letters for a theater letter board

DrBo42

I have almost no solid memory of a platform for this, but it was on some variation of a computer during the 90's. The point of the game was to take pictures of certain types of dinosaurs for some sort of alien. You'd be placed in a static jungle type environment and if you waited a bit you might see one come from the left or right side. I think the lower part of the screen had arrows to switch to a different environment. It was so simple, but I loved it. :lol

Top Bottom