• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final month to E3 2012: GAF's Predictions

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
Sony will go over everything they revealed BEFORE E3 at their conference. Playstation All-Stars Battle Smash Bros Fight Thingy, God of War Ascension, etc. Vita price drop would be more than welcome. Ooh, and The Last of Us should be shown in some way, perhaps an on-stage demo.

Microsoft will bore me to tears with their Kinect, Call of Duty, and their Haloz.

Nintendo will rock my world. Wii U's name changed to something more suitable followed by an awesome launch lineup filled with 3rd party support, along with Pikmin 3 and another 1st party system seller (probably NSMBMii, which will look disappointing). They spend a reasonable amount of time detailing the U's online and digital distribution. 3DS redesign with two analog sliders and a new 3DS Zelda game. Retro's new game gets revealed and blows everyones minds.

Or they could mess up the U's re-reveal. Bottom line is, Nintendo has everything in order to have a fantastic conference. They better not screw up.

One of their recently departed art managers said it was a next-generation game.

Really? Thats pretty cool then, guess the game was moved from current gen to the new consoles then. But that would probably mean that we won´t see the game this year since neither Microsoft nor Sony will show off their consoles.

Nibel

Everytime when E3 is around the corner, I get warm inside. It's just a great event to enjoy and I always love to see all the new stuff they show off. I love megatons. I love betrayaltons. E3 is great.

But every E3 something crazy in my head happens. There is this small thought in my mind which gets big when E3 is around.

What if these two people return into my life?

LPpTo.jpg

*Asian music kicks in*

This.

This is the only announcement that could make me cry. Manly tears, of course.
I will never stop hoping - never. This game is the first that comes to mind when reading the GAF tagline "B E L I E V E".

It's time, Sega!

Globox_82

Banned
Everytime when E3 is around the corner, I get warm inside. It's just a great event to enjoy and I always love to see all the new stuff they show off. I love megatons. I love betrayaltons. E3 is great.

But every E3 something crazy in my head happens. There is this small thought in my mind which gets big when E3 is around.

What if these two people return into my life?

*Asian music kicks in*

This.

This is the only announcement that could make me cry. Manly tears, of course.
I will never stop hoping - never. This game is the first that comes to mind when reading the GAF tagline "B E L I E V E".

It's time, Sega!

Probably canceled it with Bayonetta 2

Sadist

Microsoft

- CoD Black Ops II footage, some exclusive deal, pics of the 360-COD pack
- That open world Forza game
- Halo 4 blow out
- Some social stuff/apps for 360
- Kinect... lots and lots of Kinect
- Minor teaser for the next Xbox

Sony

- God of War Ascension gameplay
- Little Big Karting demo
- Sony All Stars including third party fighters
- CoD Black Ops II Vita. A lot of focus on that title
- Several cool first party Vita titles
- Not a lot of new third party offerings for Vita sadly
- Some Move game
- Third party sizzle reel, some of them have exclusive PS3 content

Nintendo

- New Super Mario Bros. 2, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem Awakening get US release dates
- Info regarding Theatrrhythm, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Monster Hunter Tri G, Epic Mickey PoI etc.
- An unexpected 3DS game from a well known western IP
- Some funny apps for 3DS
- Wii U re-reveal
- Base functions, menu, controller possibillities
- Nintendo Network: accounts, death of friendcodes, online store, social aspectes
- First games: Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. Mii, Retro's new game and more
- Eternal Darkness II? Yes please.
- Third party presence better than expected

Randdalf

Nintendo
I'm expecting some crazy 3DS game announcements from Nintendo, in addition to a trailer reel showing off games already announced like Luigi's Mansion 2, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing (which will get a subtitle). Fire Emblem will also get a US release. We'll also get some new trailers for in-house downloadable games through their press site which won't be shown during the show.

On the Wii U side I'm expecting them to show off: a new 3D Mario (Super Mario 4) which combines aspects of all previous 3D mario games whilst also adding some interesting new mechanics; Pikmin 3; perhaps a CG trailer for Smash Bros (but it might be too soon since Kid Icarus for them to have started development in earnest); a trailer of Retro Studio's new game; and a massive trailer reel of third party titles in development.

Also, Grand Theft Auto 3D, calling it now (for 3DS).

Microsoft
They'll open with Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and it will look just the same as the previous games in the series, the player's objective will be following someone whilst watching explosions. They'll then spend far too much time going over new Kinect titles which will appeal to children and have crappy motion controls. They'll also bring out lots of tacky simulated families. We'll most likely get a demo of Halo 4 (which will look exactly like Halo 3, ODST and Reach), and we may get hints or an outright reveal of their plans for next gen.

Sony:
Quantic Dream new IP reveal;
Guerrilla new IP reveal;
PS All Stars Battle Royale, The Last of Us, LBP Karting and GoW Ascension will get a lot of time of the PS3 related talk;
inFamous 3 teaser;
PS3 pricedrop;
A lot of Vita stuff (I don't think there'll be a pricedrop, though);
Move stuff;
Uhhh... The Last Guardian? Maybe?

Microsoft:
Kinect. A lot of Kinect stuff;
Halo 4, trailer and presentation;
Ryse;
Black Ops 2;
First Skyrim DLC trailer;
Apps, TV stuff and so on.

Nintendo:

Wii U priced, dated, line-up unveil and everything else;
Wii U online system revealed;
New Pikmin revealed;
Zelda/Super Mario Wii U, a lot of video of both;
Wii U slightly better than PS360 confirmed (completely clueless about this one)

strafer

Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2
Splinter Cell 6
Metal Gear Solid 5
God of War: Ascension

These are really the only games I'm looking forward seeing.

Kafel

Banned
Heard Castlevania 3DS will be there. 2D characters, 3D backgrounds.

I hope the Vita line-up will deliver. It's cruel how gamers ignore how good it is. So, why not a nice Agent Vita ?

Nintendo: Wii U is out in months.... guessing we'll see them firm up the launch window, launch titles, but I'm guessing they will save price announcements for later.

Sony - they have a killer line up this year so will likely focus on that + anything and everything Vita related. Be nice to see the last story but won't hold my breath.

MS - well, Ryse, Halo, Fable, COD.... of course. Plus maybe some sort of gears spin off? I know MS keep saying they won't announce anything... but I would be shocked if there wasn;t even some sort of 'future of xbox teaser' in place. Would like to think they would sort the dashboard the fuck out... but doubt it. Expecting a chunky price drop for 360 to consolidate their sales leadership in the states.

GC|Simon

Nintendo
- no freaking sales numbers since it isn't an investor conference
- no freaking Wii Fit, Brain Training & similar things since no casual gamer is interested in E3
- Reggie talking about kicking ass and taking names
- Zelda Wii U with demo graphics and Twilight-Princess-reveal-like trailer incl. Miyamoto coming on stage with a sword
- FPS from Retro for Wii U, setting: secret agencies, agents, pick-up multiplayer gameplay incl. bots for splitscreen MP
- Retro having a second team which shows off Donkey Kong Country Returns A Second Time for Wii U
- new 3D Mario from EAD Tokyo for Wii U
- Pokémon 3D Wii U MMO with all 649 Pokémons
available in stores as NFC figures
- mysterious artwork at Miyamoto's round table which will be discussed on NeoGAF for months

Believe! I called it first.

Biggest meltdown ever incoming!

JimiNutz

Banned
The only thing I really care about is a tech demo of UE4 running on the next Xbox.
Show me that and make sure that it is realtime (at a minimum I want to see the camera moving, but ideally I'd like to see a character walking around/interacting with an environment).

I also predict that either MS or Sony will have a stage demo of the new game from Respawn (hopefully this will take the place of another boring COD demo zzzzzz).

mclem

I put a brief query in the OT OT about a bingo cards thread; I made (okay, adapted, I didn't do much of the heavy lifting!) a bingo card generator last year using lots of images cut out of GAFfers cards, and it'd be nice to do the same this year but with a bit more consistency to how they looked (and a bit more care avoiding mutually exclusive events appearing on the same card).

Not really sure where to go with it now; no real response there, but I think it's something folks would like if I can get the consistency right.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I put a brief query in the OT OT about a bingo cards thread; I made (okay, adapted, I didn't do much of the heavy lifting!) a bingo card generator last year using lots of images cut out of GAFfers cards, and it'd be nice to do the same this year but with a bit more consistency to how they looked (and a bit more care avoiding mutually exclusive events appearing on the same card).

Not really sure where to go with it now; no real response there, but I think it's something folks would like if I can get the consistency right.

I can make some stock images, if you want.

Jintor

Are there generators out on the web that will just auto-fill a templete? A nice-looking templete, for preferences?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Microsoft: Clap clap clap.
Nintendo: WiiU and "witty" lines from Reggie.
Sony: No sales charts for once.

Konami better be live this year.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Can one still hope that Microsoft or Sony will announce their next console?

By now its hard to get me excited for new games as I already have a huge backlog. Now would be the time for new consoles.

miserable

Microsoft
-Kinect and Halo *yawn*

Sony
-Vita price drop and Translator Guy

Nintendo
-disappointment one way or the other

jagowar

MS:
Will lean on Halo 4 and Forza as their big first party exclusives.
Demos of Kinect stuff
More multimedia stuff (the rumored music service and more cable company vod apps... I think by the time next xbox hits they want to have every cable company on xbox live so it doesn't matter who you have)
Show off windows 8 tablet integration with xbox (unlike windows phone they will actually acknowledge windows 8)
They will show off some aspect of the next xbox (guessing Kinect 2 or a possible cheaper appletv like device for multimedia/xbla only) as a tease for next year.
This is out there but they might come with a full app store for xbox and beat apple to the punch (based off windows 8 app store)
$50 price drop across the board.... they could easily go $100 but I don't think they will because they don't need to.

Sony:
Lots of vita stuff (I really think their show will be 50% vita because they have to do well in that space and if vita tanks they will have to seriously consider downsizing ps4).
Their first party games will all get semi leaked before the show so the luster will have worn off somewhat by e3.
There 1 or 2 half hearted move demo's because they have to continue to talk about that.
In an attempt to combat the xbox they have a few multimedia announcements of their own.
Don't think they can afford it but I see them dropping their price too to combat the wiiU as well as a vita price drop.

Nintendo:
I fully expect them to be the "story" of the show... with their recent financials everybody will be wondering if the wiiU is enough.
The WiiU will have a wii like moment and capture the press but unlike the wii many will question if it will capture the general consumer this fall.
Price will be $299 with one tablet controller and $150 for a second.
They make improvements to online but still are well behind psn/live but they do not charge so like psn initially the internet gives them a break for now.
They will have a strong launch lineup and decent support for 3rd party

Nintendo

- Most 3DS facts already discussed before the conference
- minor 10 minute 3DS talk, closed off with Zelda 3DS
- WiiU game blowout in the vein of 2006, 2010
- exclusive lineup already looks more promising than 360 lifetime
- Retro Studios game shown. not some scifi shooter, which upsets a minority
- Miyamoto promotes a new mascot
- Pikmin 3 without major showtime on the conference
- Eternal Darkness 2 spoted somewhere inbetween
- A couple of 3rd party ports' controller features are discussed during the conference, the rest comes in a showreel
- Most upcoming 3rd party software gets a WiiU port
- Some IPs on the level of Starfox return, but are outsourced
- Controller and console got design tweaks
- New console name

MS & Sony
- Next gen teasers
- Nothing else of interest to anyone but the most dedicated fans

deadlast

Price cuts!
I think we will see lots of price cuts, including the Vita and 3DS.

Hardware Redesigns!
I also think we could a redesigned PS3, a slimmer model than what is out now.
The 3DS could be in for a possible redesign (second thumb stick).

Nintendo:

Wii/DS:
- Very little, probably talks about how successful they were.
- Details on DQ and Kirby collection if anything.

3DS:

- NSMB2 in action - will also have a playable demo
- More Animal Crossing, LM2 & Paper Mario footage with release dates.
- Few 3rd party titles shown. Professor Layton 5 will be one of them.
- Zelda 3DS teased
- Golden Sun 3DS teased

WiiU

- Pikmin 3 of course, launch title.
- Wii Sports U (or equivalent) launch title
- Eternal Darkness 2, launch title
- Original IP, launch title
- (One of the above will be delayed until after christmas)
- Other 1st party titles teased inc. Mario, Retro's newest game, Pokemon BR2,
- Just the logo of SSB IV will be shown :/
- 3rd party showcase: Big focus on Rayman Legends and NFC. Sonic Racing Transformed confirmed, Lego title, some grittier titles shown (FPSs), Screens of confirmed ports/developers logos shown.
- WiiU console itself redesigned to make it stand apart from Wii (please this!)

ArjanN

GAF
- 500 errrors.
- Threads moving way too fast for anyone to read anything but people keep posting anyway.
- A big increase in terrible console war posts, leading to lots of banning of fanboys in all camps. Probably mostly pro/anti Nintendo stuff this year.
- Lots of funny gifs.
- People whining about E3 being shit now, despite a zillion games being announced during and leading up to E3 and some incredibly (genuinely or ironically) entertaining press conferences.

Nintendo
- Pikmin 3 will be titled "Pikmin Colonies" and be about Captain Olimar leading a group of Hocotate pilgrims to settle the Pikmin world. Up to 5 players can take part in the main quest playing asynchronously ala Animal Crossing. One of the new speicies of Pikmin will be able to glow in the dark, allowing for night-time adventures via laying "crumb trails" of the guys to light up paths.

That is very specific... and awesome sounding! Going to be a disappointed if it doesn't end up something like this.

Globox_82

Banned
GAF
- 500 errrors.
- Threads moving way too fast for anyone to read anything but people keep posting anyway.
- A big increase in terrible console war posts, leading to lots of banning of fanboys in all camps. Probably mostly pro/anti Nintendo stuff this year.
- Lots of funny gifs.
- People whining about E3 being shit now, despite a zillion games being announced during and leading up to E3 and some incredibly (genuinely or ironically) entertaining press conferences.

I think every member should be limited to 5 post per each hour during e3. Otherwise it becomes a mess. Everyone is posting, no one is reading or replying. 50 pages in a few hours etc.

Globox_82

Banned
Microsoft
Everything will get leaked on Amazon, a few hours before the conference begins. Killing any excitement fans will have. But don't worry everyone will ignore it and point that some PSN game leaked and that Sony is screwed.

Nibel

Microsoft
Everything will get leaked on Amazon, a few hours before the conference begins. Killing any excitement fans will have. But don't worry everyone will ignore it and point that some PSN game leaked and that Sony is screwed.

Man, last year has been terrible for MS :lol
Their whole E3 program leaked - killed any suprises

H3xum

Microsoft

Most of the focus on their "new and exciting apps".
Rest of the presentation on Kinect and how it's going to integrate further into TVs to make remotes a thing of the past.

Sony

Vita vita vita
F it - System announcement

Rapstah

I predict Konami is going to care even less than they did last year and it is going to suck. Tak Fujii will be on the showfloor desparately showing off some new project no one cares about.

Skidd

Hoping to see something new from Insomniac. It's about time we got some gameplay footage for Overstrike. Maybe a couple of new announcements as well.

sphinx

the piano man
people expecting eternal darkness 2 are setting themselver for complete disappointment, Dyack has a big mouth and who knows what he means when he says "SK is working on a anticiaped sequel".

I don't believe it for a second, I guess nintendo asked them to try to come up with concepts (maybe even financed by nintendo themselves) and show them some stuff to possibily, eventually, sometime, somewhere down the line green light it, or not.

codhand

Prior to Microsoft and Sony affirming no new consoles will be shown, this was shaping up to be one of the best E3's ever, but now looking at that OP, it just seems weak as hell.

Sony: Everything they already have coming out that we know about..I dont know about any surprises. PS all stars on vita if it isnt confirmed already.

Microsoft: Halo 4, Blackops do not count, and futuramabenderkinect.gif

Nintendo: Obvious Wii U re-unveiling, Pikmin 3, New gba games releasing during the conference for 3DS eshop..and suprises out the ass.

Foffy

Banned
Heard Castlevania 3DS will be there. 2D characters, 3D backgrounds.

And where did you hear this? The last of the Castlevania 3DS rumors implied the game was to be shown at E3 last year, and those rumors were from 2010..

Jon

Ok guys, here's what's going to happen.

Reggie is going to come out at the end of the show, for a big reveal.

"Today, you have seen some truly great innovations to the world of gaming. But as Nintendo has always said, we look to drive the experience."

He licks his lips, panning the room as he sees everyone is waiting on baited breath.

"Today, we take a giant leap forward in the world of social gaming. You have never experienced something like this before."

Orchestral music fills the room, starting with the familiar Mario theme, gracefully transitioning to the sounds of Hyrule and Pop Star.

"Today, we want YOU to PARTY."

He can barely hold it in any longer. He raises his arms in jubilance.

"Introducing, MARIO PARTY: WII U EDITION"

An audible groan goes up from the crowd. Bloggers begin writing articles "The End of Nintendo?" and Twitter is overloaded with disappointment.

"As you can see from the trailer, Link is now a playable character, who will bring his own brand of hijinks to our flagship series. And look, we have more char--"

The screens turn off, and Reggie is nervous. Someone from the crowd must have pulled the plug. Banks of lights are now shutting off, one at a time. The theater becomes darker and darker. The din of cell phones and laptops provide an eerie glow.

Then, a voice booms over the speakers.

"Wake up, Mr. Fils-Amie. Wake up and smell the ashes."

The G-Man is on the screens now. The only sounds from the audience are audible sharts.

He cackles, and fades away as the lights suddenly burst back on. Reggie has been replaced by Gabe Newell on the stage.

"Today, I am announcing that Half-Life 3 will be a launch title for the Wii-U, and it will be...EXCLUSIVE. E3 has now concluded!"

He drops a smoke bomb, which clouds him briefly as he casually walks off the stage.

...And that's what will happen at E3.

May is knocking at the door (some of our members of the East may already be there) as we are entering the final month before E3 2012, the best time of the year for NeoGAF.
So let's have our predictions list!

But first what are the things we could expect to see at E3 2012?

Microsoft:

- Last year and the year before, Microsoft had a very strong Kinect presence, may you like it or not. E3 2012 will most likely bring more of this.
- Halo 4 seems far along in development, so a demo on stage shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
- Neither should be a stage demo of the next Call of Duty; Black Ops 2 (which should be revealed May 1st.)
- Fable: The Journey could also make a comeback, a game we haven't really heard about since last year.
- New multimedia applications are expected to be revealed as well.
- We can also expect some surprises, assuming nothing is leaked right before the conference this year.

Nintendo:

- As everybody probably knows, Nintendo will drop the facts about the Wii U this year as a "re-reveal". Everything should be convered from the OS to the launch line-up and the online network. Price and release date will be kept to a later date, as Nintendo usually does anyway.
- Pikmin 3 has been confirmed to be present and will likely be the flagship title of the Wii U's release, as well as its graphical showcase. (The reason Pikmin 3 was moved from the Wii to the Wii U especially being the HD and improved graphics.)
- We've known since November 2011 that a 3DS Zelda is in the works, a trailer and maybe even a playable version could be possible.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 will also most likely be present in trailer and demo form.
- More details on Nintendo's recent turn to digital distribution, announced at the last investor meeting.

Sony:

- Sony is having a bit of trouble with the PS Vita, so we can expect some major announcements regarding it.
- The Playstation 3 First-Party offering is still alive and kicking, with games like God of War: Ascension and Playstation All-Star Battle Royale pretty much guaranteed to be shown and playable.
- The Last of US trailer and stage demo. Somehow Nolan North is there.
- Some third-party exclusives are likely as well.

So GAF, what are YOUR predictions for this year's E3?
(Yeah, I know, I don't have a lot on Sony.)

Bonus Question: Overall, will this E3 be better than last year's, or any other past E3 (specify which)?

Agree with your predicts mostly, except that Sony will have tons of Move stuff to, they have as much Move stuff as MS does Kinect stuff last year.

Unless Move is basically dead which it probably is.

Also, it will be VASTLY better than last year, because we get the unveiling of a brand new console Wii U. Is that even a question???

Last year was really the first year e3 felt a little boring to me, with this gen getting long, MS focus on Kinect, Sony on Move, lack of really compelling surprises or megatons anymore, no price drops. I didn't care much about handhelds either, so introduction of Vita or 3DS doesn't count as new systems for me.

This year goes big again with Halo 4 and Wii U. But 2013 will be the REAL monster, if indeed Durango and Orbis show up as expected. i mean, wow...that will be E3 of the decade, literally. Maybe even ever.

Some of the E3 12 shock factor for me will depend if we get Halo 4 campaign footage pre-e3 or not. If we do, then it will take a little anticipation off the inevitable E3 showing.

Hopefully Sony basically ditches Move and gasp, maybe even MS de-emphasizes Kinect just a little bit (doubt it sadly).

Misterhbk

Nintendo:
  • Wii U OS and features detailed
  • NiN shown on Wii U
Line-up:
  • Pikmin 3 (launch)
  • Retro's game (launch)
  • Wii U Play (launch)
  • "Wii Sports equivalent" (launch)
  • Wii U Fit (Launch window)
  • F-Zero developed by Monster Games (Launch window)
  • WarioWare (Launch window)
  • Yoshi's Island by Good-Feel (Launch window)
  • Monolith's game (2013)
    [*]The Last Story 2 (2013)
  • Eternal Darkness 2 (2013)
  • Wii U Sports (2013)
  • Trailer for the next 3D Mario (Holiday 2013)
  • Surprisingly full 3rd party line-up
3DS Line-up:
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Donkey Kong 3D Land developed by NST (Holiday 2012)
  • Animal Crossing (Holiday 2012)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 (Sept. 2012)
  • Paper Mario 3DS (Q1 2013)
  • The Legend of Zelda 3DS (Holiday 2012)
  • Western 3rd party support that is supposedly going to be bigger than before
This is the one game that would sell me on the Wii U. Make it happen Nintendo.

Nintendo:

Wii U OS and features detailed
NiN shown on Wii U

Line-up:

Pikmin 3 (launch)
Retro's game (launch)
Wii U Play (launch)
"Wii Sports equivalent" (launch)
Wii U Fit (Launch window)
F-Zero developed by Monster Games (Launch window)
WarioWare (Launch window)
Yoshi's Island by Good-Feel (Launch window)
Monolith's game (2013)
The Last Story 2 (2013)
Eternal Darkness 2 (2013)
Wii U Sports (2013)
Trailer for the next 3D Mario (Holiday 2013)
Surprisingly full 3rd party line-up

Haha, I read that as The Last Guardian 2 and thought he was trolling. A funny troll too.

Ok guys, here's what's going to happen.

Reggie is going to come out at the end of the show, for a big reveal.

"Today, you have seen some truly great innovations to the world of gaming. But as Nintendo has always said, we look to drive the experience."

He licks his lips, panning the room as he sees everyone is waiting on baited breath.

"Today, we take a giant leap forward in the world of social gaming. You have never experienced something like this before."

Orchestral music fills the room, starting with the familiar Mario theme, gracefully transitioning to the sounds of Hyrule and Pop Star.

"Today, we want YOU to PARTY."

He can barely hold it in any longer. He raises his arms in jubilance.

"Introducing, MARIO PARTY: WII U EDITION"

An audible groan goes up from the crowd. Bloggers begin writing articles "The End of Nintendo?" and Twitter is overloaded with disappointment.

"As you can see from the trailer, Link is now a playable character, who will bring his own brand of hijinks to our flagship series. And look, we have more char--"

The screens turn off, and Reggie is nervous. Someone from the crowd must have pulled the plug. Banks of lights are now shutting off, one at a time. The theater becomes darker and darker. The din of cell phones and laptops provide an eerie glow.

Then, a voice booms over the speakers.

"Wake up, Mr. Fils-Amie. Wake up and smell the ashes."

The G-Man is on the screens now. The only sounds from the audience are audible sharts.

He cackles, and fades away as the lights suddenly burst back on. Reggie has been replaced by Gabe Newell on the stage.

"Today, I am announcing that Half-Life 3 will be a launch title for the Wii-U, and it will be...EXCLUSIVE. E3 has now concluded!"

He drops a smoke bomb, which clouds him briefly as he casually walks off the stage.

...And that's what will happen at E3.
whoa...was intrigued.

Top Bottom