• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Wow, that's actually great news if it means their Blu-Ray prices will go down.

Speaking of which...I hope there's another Criterion sale soon, I really want to get a few more of the Kurosawa Blus to upgrade my old DVD editions.

obin_gam

Criterion is abandoning their dual-format releases starting in September.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3195-re-format

I thought it made sense, financially, but still didn't care for it. I had no use for the dvds, and even though it didn't cost anymore, it was taking up additional space on my shelves that could be used for more titles.

the case is wider than ordinary cases for these dual releases? I had no idea, I just thought they used ordinary dual disc cases.

XShagrath

Son of Cervantes said:
Speaking of which...I hope there's another Criterion sale soon, I really want to get a few more of the Kurosawa Blus to upgrade my old DVD editions.
Barnes & Noble should be having one sometime around July 4th. I've heard rumors that it might be late June, but can't find that information at the moment.

obin_gam said:
the case is wider than ordinary cases for these dual releases? I had no idea, I just thought they used ordinary dual disc cases.
Every dual format release that I've picked up has been in a digipak. They're probably 1.5x the size of your standard blu-ray case.

DiscoJon said:
So are the current new dual-format releases going to be re-released as single blu and regular DVD editions?
Probably only once the current stock runs out, which could be quite a while for some titles.

I'm wondering what's going to happen with the Zatoichi set. It's an awesome little box, but I'd much rather have something simpler and space-saving. That would go from being a 27 disc behemoth down to just a large 9 disc set.

Ridley327

I'd post images, but I'm at work, so you'll have to do with text: Eraserhead, The Innocents, Sundays and Cybele, Polanski's MacBeth, and a Blu-ray upgrade for Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

Not that there aren't big titles there, but given how much noise they usually make in September, the slate doesn't seem too splashy.

I'm looking at the Blu-ray sticker on the cover art as we speak!

BJHE4DG.jpg

http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date'

EDIT: The main page says blu though.

Not as good as previous September slates, but it'll do. Covers could be better (Macbeth looka to be an emulation of paperback Shakespeare covers, Innocents is bland, Eraserhead is what it is, S&C actually looks cool). and that "More" bullet rears its head for a couple of understocked discs. Excited most for Macbeth and S&C, though Eraserhead's the sure purchase (and Innocents will be on Blu for the first).

swoon

I'd post images, but I'm at work, so you'll have to do with text: Eraserhead, The Innocents, Sundays and Cybele, Polanski's MacBeth, and a Blu-ray upgrade for Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

Not that there aren't big titles there, but given how much noise they usually make in September, the slate doesn't seem too splashy.

sundays and cybele is incredible like top 50 incredible. ali is right there with it and the innocents is good, though it's funny how the cover hides how trashy that film is.

Will definitely get Ali and maybe The Innocents.

Already got a UK dvd for Sundays and Cybèle which incidentally is a surprisingly obscure film in its native country.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
^

Yay. I really wish someone would put A Face In The Crowd and a few other oldies on bluray, this one was on that list though.

Ridley327

Some future releases to look forward to:

Criterion Corner: Those folks at Criterion are up to their old tricks, pushing out gems on DVD and Blu-ray that collectors simply can’t live without. Down the road, we’ve learned that the company has slated David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr., the 2001 Hollywood-set mystery that actually started life as a pilot for a TV series. The film deals with an aspiring actress, an amnesiac woman, a film director, and a lesbian liaison and stars Naomi Watts, Laura Elena Harring, Robert Forster and Justin Theroux. This will be a nice companion piece to Criterion’s upcoming Eraserhead. Also due from the company is Terry Gilliam’s fantasy Time Bandits, available in a mega-deluxe edition. Just licensed for future release is Federico Fellini’s 1960 masterpiece La Dolce Vita with Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg. This will make a nice companion with The Great Beauty, the recent Oscar winner inspired by La Dolce Vita

This is from the same source that leaked out The Innocents as an imminent release a month before it was announced. Perhaps we'll be seeing all three by the year's end?

I actually dread when Criterion gets their hands on certain of these titles. The Koch Lorber DVD edition of La Dolce Vita was excellent and was decently priced. I wish Criterion would stick to releasing stuff that wasn't previously licensed. I want more Ozu and Mizoguchi...

Thank God Warner's tends to release their own stuff and they tend not to price gouge on their regular editions (I never buy those ridiculous boxes they put out for stuff like Casablanca).

I actually dread when Criterion gets their hands on certain of these titles. The Koch Lorber DVD edition of La Dolce Vita was excellent and was decently priced. I wish Criterion would stick to releasing stuff that wasn't previously licensed. I want more Ozu and Mizoguchi...

Thank God Warner's tends to release their own stuff and they tend not to price gouge on their regular editions (I never buy those ridiculous boxes they put out for stuff like Casablanca).

CC release more Asian movies? hahahahahahaha

Ridley327

I imagine that the big reason for them releasing La Dolce Vita is because it's been out of print for a while, due to legal issues that were only recently resolved. Also, I'm fairly certain that Entertainment One Films (the company Koch-Lorber became) is a Criterion licensor these days, so there's that.

Fjordson

I just got an email from Barnes & Noble. 50% off sale for Criterion DVD's and blu-rays. On my phone at the moment so haven't checked out the selection yet.

edit: damn, lots of stuff on sale. Wallet is about to be hurting.

omgkitty

Round 1:

A Hard Day's Night
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Life Aquatic
L'eclisse
The Hidden Fortress
Like Someone in Love
Judex

I grabbed the Yojimbo & Sanjuro box, High & Low, and The Hidden Fortress. I basically upgraded all of the old Criterion DVDs I had of these since the transfers were not particularly good.

I also want Kagemusha, Throne of Blood and Rashomon, but Throne of Blood's DVD transfer is quite good, as is Rashomon's (I have the older DVD with the original box art featuring the Rashomon gate). Those can wait for future sales. :)

EDIT: Some of these titles I would really love to have on Blu-Ray, but can't quite motivate myself to pull the trigger. I already have Rififi on DVD (the old yellow and black box art), Kiss Me Deadly (the MGM release), and Paths of Glory (ditto). Unlike the Kurosawas, I don't think I'd re-watch these enough to warrant upgrading. If they did upgrades of all the Kobayashi movies I would be broke, though! He's one of my absolute favorite Japanese movie makers. I love Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion, Kwaidan, The Human Condition, etc.

Ridley327

I nabbed:

Eyes Without a Face
A Hard Day's Night
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Royal Tenenbaums
Scanners

It was sure nice of them to extend the offer to all of the July releases! We'll see about more when I get paid on Friday.

I nabbed:

Eyes Without a Face
A Hard Day's Night
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Royal Tenenbaums
Scanners

It was sure nice of them to extend the offer to all of the July releases! We'll see about more when I get paid on Friday.

Do you know if the Criterion Scanners fixes the audio issues the old MGM DVD had? The MGM DVD had some weird issue with the voices, it seemed like they were out of sync with the video at some points, but that may have been due to the voices being dubbed over later.

Ridley327

Do you know if the Criterion Scanners fixes the audio issues the old MGM DVD had? The MGM DVD had some weird issue with the voices, it seemed like they were out of sync with the video at some points, but that may have been due to the voices being dubbed over later.

I think DVDBeaver is the only one with an analysis up for it, and they don't mention it one way or another. You're right that it's an issue that may not be solvable because of the production itself.

I think DVDBeaver is the only one with an analysis up for it, and they don't mention it one way or another. You're right that it's an issue that may not be solvable because of the production itself.

I've heard it both ways online. Some people state that it's a production issue and it's been that way since the movie was first released. Other people say "I watched it on VHS/laserdisc and never noticed an issue so it must be something that happened with the DVD."

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the Blu-ray before I find out either way, so please keep us updated when you receive your copy! Preferably before the sale is over so I know whether to buy it or not. ;)

Ridley327

Will do! I can't make any promises, though, since we know how wonky B&N can be with shipping at times. I just got my email confirmation that it's all shipping out on the 15th, so hopefully it sticks to that week.

omgkitty

Will do! I can't make any promises, though, since we know how wonky B&N can be with shipping at times. I just got my email confirmation that it's all shipping out on the 15th, so hopefully it sticks to that week.

Why so long? Mine is scheduled to ship today and I ordered this morning.

Fjordson

Does B&N usually honor these big Criterion sales in store? The location near me usually has a pretty good stock, might check in there instead of waiting for shipping.

NekoFever

Blu-ray.com's review is up too:

The dialog is crisp, stable, and very easy to follow. Also, it appears that some additional work has been done to clean up and rebalance the audio.

Sounds promising but I dunno. I ordered it so we'll see.

Ridley327

Does B&N usually honor these big Criterion sales in store? The location near me usually has a pretty good stock, might check in there instead of waiting for shipping.

Not only that, but if you have a B&N membership, you save an additional 10% when you buy them in the store. That doesn't carry over online, but they make up for it with free expedited shipping.

Fjordson

Yep. Sale starts tomorrow in store.

Not only that, but if you have a B&N membership, you save an additional 10% when you buy them in the store. That doesn't carry over online, but they make up for it with free expedited shipping.
Damn, awesome. Will definitely head in there tomorrow. Already checked through the site and they have a bunch of different titles in stock.

I'm excited to get Harakiri by Masaki Kobayashi. I love samurai films, but I've never seen this one. Have heard it's one of the best.

Damn, awesome. Will definitely head in there tomorrow. Already checked through the site and they have a bunch of different titles in stock.

I'm excited to get Harakiri by Masaki Kobayashi. I love samurai films, but I've never seen this one. Have heard it's one of the best.

Harakiri is amazing. I hear it got a remake a few years back, but I don't see how it can hold a candle to the original with that great Tatsuya Nakadai performance in the center of it.

Samurai Rebellion is another great Kobayashi film if you like samurai stuff. It stars Toshiro Mifune and has Nakadai in a secondary role.

Heh, with this sale + the Criterion.com sale a few months back, I've already gone past what I usually reserve for Black Friday deals. I'm all tapped out for blu-rays for the rest of the year unless something that I absolutely need day 1 gets announced.

Fjordson

Harakiri is amazing. I hear it got a remake a few years back, but I don't see how it can hold a candle to the original with that great Tatsuya Nakadai performance in the center of it.

Samurai Rebellion is another great Kobayashi film if you like samurai stuff. It stars Toshiro Mifune and has Nakadai in a secondary role.
Sweet, I'll look out for that one as well.

And I actually saw that remake. Directed by Takashi Miike who I like a lot so I enjoyed it. Not as good as 13 Assassins, but still a good watch.

Fjordson

Man, it's a bummer that the Chungking Express blu-ray was seemingly discontinued. Anyone know what's up with that? Can't find it anywhere, except used for like $70.

Man, it's a bummer that the Chungking Express blu-ray was seemingly discontinued. Anyone know what's up with that? Can't find it anywhere, except used for like $70.

I got in on that at the last second. Like a day after I received mine it was announced as going OOP.

I never picked up Army of Shadows though :(

Or Ran :(

Or The Third Man :(

Edit: OR LE CERCLE ROUGE :(

Fjordson

I got in on that at the last second. Like a day after I received mine it was announced as going OOP.

I never picked up Army of Shadows though :(

Or Ran :(

Or The Third Man :(

Edit: OR LE CERCLE ROUGE :(
Ran is gone too? Shit! I missed Third Man also. I got the DVD, though, which looks decent.

But at least Third Man and Ran are available from other companies on blu. I can't find anything for Chungking.

Top Bottom