• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Call of Duty sales slowing down, Modern Warfare 3 down year over year

Netcode aside (something that I personally didn't struggle with) the multiplayer itself was really fun. Preferred the added recoil and less bullet damage; something more methodical about it. Added into the fact that the game didn't suffer from the issues MW2 did in relation to killstreaks, I actually really enjoyed the multiplayer.

Dan Yo

Banned
After MW3.. I can't see myself dipping into this series ever again.
Same here. I always felt the Treyarch CoDs were the B-tier multiplayers, but MW3 sunk to lows that caused me to contemplate never dipping into the series again. I may pick up the next CoD in a bargain bin someday for the singleplayer.

TUROK

Don't understand the love for Black Ops.

Single play sucks with infinite respawns, especially on harder level.

Multi is crap with shitty netcode. Everytime I play, happens often, I jump people from behind, empty a clip, guy turns around and kills me, and on replay, I stood there like a statue. And, it's not my connection because most of the time I am host in MW2/3.
I didn't have much of a problem with Black Ops's MP, but the SP was bordering on crap. MW3's SP surprised the hell out of me. It ended up being a really satisfying conclusion to the MW series.

Mik2121

How can Modern Warfare 3 be down year over year if it's been out for less than a year?

Also, lol.. the game still sold like crazy and yet a bunch of you guys are acting like the series is dead. Damn.. that's kind of silly now, isn't it?

Dabanton

Think it may be time that Activision really started to diversify now in case COD does slow down a lot in the near future.

Didn't they sign Bungie on a 10 yr publishing deal? Whatever their working on will probably be huge next gen. Especially if it's the rumoured MMOFPS.

the game still sold like crazy and yet a bunch of you guys are acting like the series is dead. Damn.. that's kind of silly now, isn't it?

It's CoD with some gamers all logic and reasoning goes out the window. That or it gets blamed because other developers think it's as easy to repeat their forumla.

It was inevitable that sales would decline sooner or later but considering the sales of the game i'm sure Acti isn't weeping onto it's cornflakes just yet.

ZenaxPure

And next year they will add Vita, 3DS and Wii U versions which will cover that 5% with ease.

I actually do wonder about this. I know personally I haven't bought a new copy of a CoD game since MW2 (and MW2 was a xmas present at that) but I would actually be willing to buy a 3DS or Vita version if it was the exact same game, with online, and in the case of the 3DS supported the second analog stick. I think it would make a fun game to play online when I am laying on my bed about to go to sleep.

Point being, I am curious if proper 3DS/Vita versions of the games would actually sell decent amounts.

Just going from anecdotal evidence, of my friends who religiously play COD, maybe only half got MW3. People are catching on a bit.

That said those are still huge sales

MW3 was a pretty poor game compared to Black Ops, im not sure how widespread that view is, but for me (and many people I know), MW3 got shelved real fast.

Im looking forward to BO2, but its got a LOT of competition, so based on the fact they seem to be taking mechanics from MW3 I may not even get it.

DaBuddaDa

Incredible that it took 5 annual releases before this happened.

How can Modern Warfare 3 be down year over year if it's been out for less than a year?

YoY doesn't need to mean specifically a year, it just means in the same arbitrary period of time compared to the previous year's corresponding period of time.

Jibbed

I'd say (like others) Black Ops was the peak. MW2 was crazy popular after CoD4 blew everyone's minds, and Blops just refined the formula.

MW3 bores the hell out of me. I'm sure Treyarch will do a great job with BO2, but I'm pretty much done with CoD now (I get the feeling others share the same view).

Untracked

I'm surprised Activision hasn't resorted to EA's tactics of turning the old games off to keep players on the new ones. Within weeks of both BLOPS and MW3 being released me and my cod buddies were back on MW2.
I just don't see the point of buying the latest one anymore, gonna stick with the one I enjoy.

Are you really taking the user score on metacritic eriously as a barometer of fans' feelings? When the game came out there were numerous campaigns on reddit and /v/ to bring the user score down. Check the profiles of the low scorers. They usually havent rated any other games. Also, of those who are disappointed in CoD's quality, who do you think *honestly* believes it's a 1 or 0 quality game? How many ratings are just fanboys of BF or just people who hate CoD who have never played it?

Edit: just read your above post. You're still assuming the people who rate it have played the game.

You're missing the point. The issue isn't why there's dissatisfaction with the CoD: MW series, but the simple proof that yes, there is increasing dissatisfaction amongst several sectors of the market, and this may trickle down to the wider audience as a whole.

Jibbed

I'm surprised Activision hasn't resorted to EA's tactics of turning the old games off to keep players on the new ones. Within weeks of both BLOPS and MW3 being released me and my cod buddies were back on MW2.
I just don't see the point of buying the latest one anymore, gonna stick with the one I enjoy.

I see your point (and I understand why publishers do this), but it's annoying as hell when you rent an old game (or even dust off your own) just to find out the online has been killed off. If I recall correctly, Codies did this not long ago with Race Driver: GRID :(

I love me some CoD4 every now and again. If Activision 'shut it down', that'll be the death of the franchise.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I can't wait for the peripherals to start in a few more years.

12-tony-hawk.jpg

Surely TH didn't think that board was going to be a great idea?

Detox

COD sustains its sales through word of mouth if the MP was good enough those that didn't buy it at launch would eventually get it to play with friends who would refuse to jump on the inferior game. MW3's MP was not up to snuff at launch, not sure if it has been patched but the damage was done. I have no doubt Treyarch will deliver another solid entry but Activision really need to strengthen IW & Sledgehammer otherwise that small difference between the annual COD games is going to get smaller and make it easier for players to stay on the previous iteration.

Jibbed

True, if MW3 was the only one available to play online I know I wouldn't bother.

Yup.

You know what I've always thought... the whole series from CoD4 onwards runs on (essentially) identical tech, right? Why isn't EVERY map since CoD4 available to play in each CoD since then? Say for example you booted up MW2, you had MW2's maps, WAW's, and CoD4's all on the disc.

If they did this for MW3 (made all previous maps playable for free, 'cos let's face it they already exist - pissed me off when they charged for Vacant and Overgrown on MW2), the player count would shoot up.

Gravijah

Yup.

You know what I've always thought... the whole series from CoD4 onwards runs on (essentially) identical tech, right? Why isn't EVERY map since CoD4 available to play in each CoD since then? Say for example you booted up MW2, you had MW2's maps, WAW's, and CoD4's all on the disc.

If they did this for MW3 (made all previous maps playable for free, 'cos let's face it they already exist - pissed me off when they charged for Vacant and Overgrown on MW2), the player count would shoot up.

so they can charge you for classic map packs

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

spanks

Now it'll be interesting to see whether another game takes over, or whether we'll see a dramatic decrease in general video game sales.

BigDes

I wouldn't be comfortable saying that this is the start of the Call of Duty decline. If the multi for MW3 wasn't garbage then it might lead to another conclusion other than MW3's multi is garbage

Majanew

Banned
I've played every COD's SP and MW3's is one of the best. I couldn't get into the MP once again, just didn't like the maps, and I guess the tiny size with just running around in circles isn't for me ... but I loved COD 2's MP (CTF on there was awesome). Removing Black Op's playing MP with bots was a stupid decision and is why MW3 was only a rent from me. MW3 for the SP, BF3 for the MP.

I'm definitely interested in seeing the SP for BO 2. May be worth another redbox rent. :)

MrPliskin

Banned
How incredible will it be if Treyarch becomes the cornerstone developer for this franchise, and IW takes their place as step child? It's clear people love zombies, and I think Blops 2 could sell better than MW3. Would be neat!

Jibbed

Unrealistic. The 12 year old behind him would be in tears.

How incredible will it be if Treyarch becomes the cornerstone developer for this franchise, and IW takes their place as step child? It's clear people love zombies, and I think Blops 2 could sell better than MW3. Would be neat!

Already happened. CoD4 (and to an extent, MW2) was IW's last hurrah before Activision tore a hole in it

Untracked

Why isn't EVERY map since CoD4 available to play in each CoD since then? Say for example you booted up MW2, you had MW2's maps, WAW's, and CoD4's all on the disc.

Yeah like exporting songs from one Rock Band to the next. I'd like to see that happen but I doubt it ever will.

spanks said:
Now it'll be interesting to see whether another game takes over, or whether we'll see a dramatic decrease in general video game sales.
I think a lot of cod players will be keeping a close eye on Respawn's game. Whatever it may be.

NeoUltima

Activision would do itself a service to hire best damn game designers it can to make sure CoD stays relevant next-gen. Don't run the current model into the ground and kill the brand. And don't rely on spin-offs or gimmicks.

I also must agree that MW3 had shitty maps.

hamchan

Already happened. It's quite clear now that most people found BLOPS to be a better game compared to MW2 and MW3. BLOPS 2 will hopefully be just as good.

I'm not so sure about that...something about it's incredibly rapid increase in popularity puts the words zeitgeist and fad in my head.

It's not really a fad because I think the COD series just represents the top of the FPS genre, which has been very popular for a very long time now. COD is the best selling FPS because of a range of factors from being the most accessible to having the best controls and feel on consoles. It'll get toppled when people start getting sick of shooting dudes in first person (which will never happen imo) or if another, better, more appealing shooter comes around but I don't see massive sales decreases you would normally see in fads at all. Even if it drops one day I still see it doing relatively high numbers like Madden or Halo, instead of dying like Guitar Hero.

Also 5 years of top sales seems like a long fad to me.

Kifimbo

Not surprised, since you can find the game for $40 in Canada since February. You had to wait a year later for a price drop with the previous installments.

Derrick01

Banned
MW3 sucked overall so when you make shitty lazy games people are going to react to it. Black Ops 2 will hopefully be better like BO1 was over a similarly lazy game like MW2.

Dabanton

Activision would do itself a service to hire best damn game designers it can to make sure CoD stays relevant next-gen. Don't run the current model into the ground and kill the brand. And don't rely on spin-offs or gimmicks.

I also must agree that MW3 had shitty maps.

Well IW have the chance next year to launch with the proposed next gen systems. i will interested to see what they do.

Grecco

Because some believe it brings a negative influence on the industry, and they're not wrong. You see so many developers imitating the CoD formula.

Its incredibly silly to blame COD for this. Its the industries fault.

I'm not so sure about that...something about it's incredibly rapid increase in popularity puts the words zeitgeist and fad in my head.

GTA was the best selling franchise of last gen and was still relevant this gen. Even if some new franchise becomes the king next gen COD will still be relevant.

Yeah like exporting songs from one Rock Band to the next. I'd like to see that happen but I doubt it ever will.

I think a lot of cod players will be keeping a close eye on Respawn's game. Whatever it may be.

Funny thing you mention Rock Band. Even though Harmonix was a much more respected developer it did not affect the sales of Guitar Hero when they left. In fact Guitar Hero kept beating Rock Band sales wise. Unless Respawns new game involves terrorists in a modern day setting COD will still beat it sales wise.

Not surprised, since you can find the game for $40 in Canada since February. You had to wait a year later for a price drop with the previous installments.

Not really true. I got Blops and WAW at 39.99 2 months after they both launched.

Top Bottom