• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's better? No sleep, or 2 hours of sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been up since 12pm. I have to get up at 6am, and I won't get a chance to go back to sleep until 6pm. Should I sleep two hours right now?

Nameless

I've gotten by on 'power naps' in the past. Depends on the person, though. 2-5 hours of sleep re-engergizes me pretty well, where as I know people that need atleast 7 hours everytime they sleep or they won't be right the entire day.

Yes, go to sleep.

I always feel much better on two hours than on no sleep at all. Waking up is hell but it's absolutely worth it.

Ree

Banned
Only sleep now if you feel confident that you'll be able to get up after 2 hours. Oh, and a hint, leave a note telling yourself why you need to get up at the alarm clock, it's soo easy to forget things after 2 hours of sleep.

Or just plug your alarm clock in somewhere that you'll have to get up and walk to it to turn it off.

Better yet, two alarm clocks.

Don't fixate on it too much though or you won't be able to get to sleep.

El Papa

Yes. 2 hours will get you by with whatever you have to do. No sleep and you will be in space cadet mode and be a danger to people if you drive, and to yourself. I know this.

Barnolde

Banned
Sleep dammit.

This is my 2nd night of no sleep in 3 nights. This ****ing sucks, I'm tired, but I can't sleep, it sucks ass, I feel like shit right now, didn't feel this bad in my first night.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
2 hours is definitely better than none, but as mentioned before, only if you can guarantee it's only 2 hours. Personally, if I try to push under the 4-5 hour range I gain the ability to get up and turn off my alarm without waking up. :(

Mashing

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask.

Does anyone else ALWAYS either nap 1.5 hours (during a nap) or if you go back to sleep after you wake up, wake up again 3 hours later? Is there some biological clock or some shit making me do that?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The best thing to do when faced with so little time to rest is to tell yourself "This will be the best damn 2 hours of sleep I've ever gotten!". Seriously. Just revel in that shit. Love the sleep!

None. Two hours is not much different than no hours if you're like me in terms of taking forever to fall asleep. A better idea would be to just sit down and rest for two hours (don't go to sleep or you'll be screwed) and then get up to do your business.

Andokuky

Banned
My biological clock is between 8am and 9am, no matter what time I fall asleep. I am usually good with 5-6 hours of sleep, I feel like crap if I sleep for 8+.

MMaRsu

Banned
soul creator said:
I never sleep, because sleep is the cousin of death

ding.jpg

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Mashing said:
I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask.

Does anyone else ALWAYS either nap 1.5 hours (during a nap) or if you go back to sleep after you wake up, wake up again 3 hours later? Is there some biological clock or some shit making me do that?

I read somewhere that the standard sleep cycle is 90 minutes. So it's better to get a full sleep cycle than be interrupted in the middle of a sleep cycle. By that logic, 1.5 hours of sleep should be better than 2 hours. If you wake up in the middle of your sleep cycle, you'll be disoriented and cranky. You could probably look up sleep cycle on wikipedia to validate whether this is truth or urban legend.

Mute

Banned
I remember staying up for around 26 hours once and then trying to squeeze in an hour of sleep before having to wake up at 7 for school. When I first woke up I felt like I had lost my mind -- I didn't even know where I was, and up until I stumbled into the shower, it was like I was moving subconsciously. Waking up is a bitch. I would way rather just stay awake.

Pachinko

If you go to bed you wont' want to wake up in 2 hours becuase you'll pretty well just be falling asleep properly and have to wake up again. I'd call in sick to work the following day in that scenario and just go to bed for a few hours. If you had to go to work for whatever reason though I think a 30 minute power nap followed by a shower before you head to work or whatever would be better then not sleeping at all becuase you'll crash in the middle of the day utterly and completly without any sleep unless you stock up your body on caffiene constantly.

Your other problem is that you'll want to stay awake for a bit when you do get home to sleep properly the following night. Like 8 or 9 pm probally.

Stench

Banned
Harvey Hedonist said:
I rotate 12 hour shifts between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. I can tell you from experience 2 hours of sleep is much better than none.
My God, man.

You have my sympathy. I had to do shit like that just this past summer...

Shawn128

echoshifting said:
Or just plug your alarm clock in somewhere that you'll have to get up and walk to it to turn it off.

Better yet, two alarm clocks.

Don't fixate on it too much though or you won't be able to get to sleep.

That used to work for me...until I realized I could just go back and lie down after turning off the clock :lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
PhoenixDark said:
None. Two hours is not much different than no hours if you're like me in terms of taking forever to fall asleep. A better idea would be to just sit down and rest for two hours (don't go to sleep or you'll be screwed) and then get up to do your business.

Don't listen to him. Of course it will be hell waking up and you will feel like complete shit, but it will save you for later in the day.

darscot

Any sleep is good. Now that I'm over 30 I dont get as many naps as I like. When your in your 20s and life revolves around work, entertainment and substance abuse naps are essential. I could fall asleep in seconds and saw logs. Wake up 15 minutes later and be good to go. A those where the days now for some reason I cant sleep in public.

If i remember my psychology right, the body operates on a 90 minute cycle. You're supposed to time your sleep to 90 minute blocks so your cells can do whatever they have to do.

bumpkin

Depends how much you hate waking up; if you hate it when you were really comfortable and having a good rest, then no, bad idea. Just stay up. Caffeine is your friend... There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Pretend to have a really bad stomach ache, go to the bathroom alot, and take periodic naps in the stall. It's how I get through those socially-active work weeks. Just be sure to get up slowly and be prepared to have a nice red ass-ring for awhile.

even 1 hour of sleep is good. Ive done this countless times. If you dont sleep you will feel sleepy the whole day. After 1 hour when you wake up you will feel DEADTIRED, but after a little while you will be all powered up and the urge to sleep will happen much later. Fact.

injurai

Banned
I left neogaf to google this question. Of course I was brought back here by google. Ugh studying for this midterm, and it's first thing in the morning.

I think I'll do the two hours, then a shot of caffeine to break out of the lingering theta waves.

Jburton

Banned
I left neogaf to google this question. Of course I was brought back here by google. Ugh studying for this midterm, and it's first thing in the morning.

I think I'll do the two hours, then a shot of caffeine to break out of the lingering theta waves.

You bumped an almost 8 year old thread for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom