• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

I am actually questioning if Ghost in the Shell, which I think was just as "good" as Blade, was not only panned because of the racial controversy, but also because of the lead being a woman.

You say this like Lucy didn't make $463 million dollars.

People didn't like GitS. Simple as that.

GhaleonEB

I haven't seen Blade Runner but I'm sure it is better than The Foreigner, which was pretty much hot garbage. I don't know what the marketing is like for that movie in America, but I've gotta imagine the reviews will be bad and word of mouth will be bad as well. I guess bad movies have topped the charts before though so anything is possible.

Reviews are just starting to trickle in. Currently at 80% after 5 reviews. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_foreigner_2017

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
That's actually a horrible opening for Blade Runner 2049, and what a crying shame. It was a great film. Now I'm assuming Villenueve will have to make a studio film just to pay for the films failure, maybe he can do a James Bond film like he wants to do. Eh!!!
I doubt this financial failure will do any harm to Villenueve's career considering the raving reviews the movie got. You can't really blame Denis for the audience not digging a great movie.

vern

Reviews are just starting to trickle in. Currently at 80% after 5 reviews. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_foreigner_2017

That link says average score is 5.5/10 though.

Here is what I said in the other BO thread last week if anyone cares:

watched "the foreigner" two nights ago. The cinema was pretty full. The movie was hot garbage. I watched it in Chinese so I probably missed a few things, but there were a few parts that were completely pointless , for example (mild spoiler)
Jackie Chan is shown in his hotel room making something, bomb maybe I don't know, it's like 2 minutes of him cooking up some shit with beakers and stuff. Later the bad guys come to his room to fight him, they show Jackie pack up his bombs or whatver into two big black trash bags. He hides them under his bed. The bags or contents of them are never seen again...

Slightly bigger but still mild spoiler
Also Jackie just disappears for like 30 minutes in the middle of the movie while Brosnan and a bunch of Irish people do stuff. Jackie just sits in the woods outside Brosnans compound for a week in the rain presumably.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They walked out? Dam.

At my near-sellout screening every single person in front of me walked out. I wish more of the people behind me had walked out so I could have gotten a better seat.

Wanderer5

Might see BR2049 later this week, and I finally saw the original, which I liked quite a bit. I hope the 2 1/2 hour runtime for 2049 won't feel too long through heh.

People bawling over BR2049's failure like it's the creative death of hollywood while pretending the other 20 independent movies in theaters right now that would kill to make $13 million in a day don't exist.

If your theater has it, go see Loving Vincent pls k thx bye.

I was beyond happy to see that a small theater near me was going to have Loving Vincent showings starting this week (so now I don't need to go into LA to see it). Looking forward to seeing it later today!

There was maybe eight people at my screening, everyone quiet as a church mouse. Such a wonderful contrast to seeing IT a few days earlier and having a whole row behind me not shut the fuck up.

deleted

Even with a 150$m budget, 80m internationally doesn't seem like a huge flop to me.
It'll all depend on word of mouth and China - and word of mouth seems mostly fine?

Sure, the movie won't be making 400m and somehow get into sequel territory, but I could see it scraping at 300m at the end and almost making back it's money in cinemas.
Not a success but not nearly the kind of bomb we've seen so far this year or in the last few years.

I was really surprised to see the Sony logo in the beginning and having a movie this big without the time square or otherwise butchered by them.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Even with a 150$m budget, 80m internationally doesn't seem like a huge flop to me.
It'll all depend on word of mouth and China - and word of mouth seems mostly fine?

Sure, the movie won't be making 400m and somehow get into sequel territory, but I could see it scraping at 300m at the end and almost making back it's money in cinemas.
Not a success but not nearly the kind of bomb we've seen so far this year or in the last few years.

I was really surprised to see the Sony logo in the beginning and having a movie this big without the time square or otherwise butchered by them.
Domestic success is the most important in Hollywood since the studios get most out of the $. I think it's something like 80% of each dollar profit. On contrast the studio only get like 30% of each dollar a movie makes in China. So domestic is very, very important.

deleted

Domestic success is the most important in Hollywood since the studios get most out of the $. I think it's something like 80% of each dollar profit. On contrast the studio only get like 30% of each dollar a movie makes in China. So domestic is very, very important.

Yeah, I know - but isn't this a special case with the shared publishing rights?
I simply cannot believe that Warner thought to make back on a 150$ budget in the US alone. Or even half of that. They knew what they had with this movie and they even had GitS as a reference point in a similar genre from earlier this year.

Could this be a case of blowing up the budget late in the game to use it to write off some other costs?

vern

Not that I have my finger on the pulse of the Chinese market or anything, but I doubt Blade Runner does big numbers here. I haven't seen any advertising for Blade Runner in China. The subway stations around me still have tons of ads for Baby Driver up for some reason. From what I've heard Blade Runner is pretty slow moving, these kinds of movies don't tend to do that great with Chinese audiences. They like special effects and explosions and action from their English language films generally.

Mario007

Not that I have my finger on the pulse of the Chinese market or anything, but I doubt Blade Runner does big numbers here. I haven't seen any advertising for Blade Runner in China. The subway stations around me still have tons of ads for Baby Driver up for some reason. From what I've heard Blade Runner is pretty slow moving, these kinds of movies don't tend to do that great with Chinese audiences. They like special effects and explosions and action from their English language films generally.
It's not out for another month here.

vern

It's not out for another month here.

Sure, but I doubt its gonna do big numbers when it does come out. And the big movies, like Marvel and Transformers have ads all over the place it seems like for ages before they come out here.

What do you think though? Seems like something Chinese will like to you?

deleted

Sure, but I doubt its gonna do big numbers when it does come out. And the big movies, like Marvel and Transformers have ads all over the place it seems like for ages before they come out here.

No idea. China contributed around 30m to Ghost in the Shell. Blade Runner has far better reviews but China also doesn't care too much about those and it doesn't seem to be a movie that would too well there, because it's on the slow side.

So maybe around 30m also? Which isn't excessive, but it'll still bump up international a little - maybe even to a somewhat respectable number in the end. Even if there is hardly any revenue it.

While looking up GitS - that did only around 30m in the US on a no legs at all run?! Phew, Cyberpunk has had a rough year...

A couple in the same line as me were actually snoring lol. I also saw 4 people walking out.

I liked the movie but I dont see the brilliance behind it tbh. It was a standard sci fi movie with tons of cliches.

I am actually questioning if Ghost in the Shell, which I think was just as "good" as Blade, was not only panned because of the racial controversy, but also because of the lead being a woman.

I dont think legs will save the film but we will see.

You just equated GitS at same level as BR 2049, which tells me to ignore all your other opinions. GitS 2017 was a derivative garbage. Like a terrible 3rd gen blurry photocopy of the Japanese source material. BR 2049 is a brilliant sequel that outshines the original and expands the story and the universe.

duckroll

The Wong Kar Wai fans will love it!

berzeli

Banned
WB didn't invest much to distribute it domestically. Most of the budget came from Sony and Alcon. So no, it's not flopping for WB.
I thought they were on the hook for P&A, Deadline disagrees with that assertion so I've adjusted accordingly:
It's bombing for Alcon.
Yeah, I know - but isn't this a special case with the shared publishing rights?
I simply cannot believe that Warner thought to make back on a 150$ budget in the US alone. Or even half of that. They knew what they had with this movie and they even had GitS as a reference point in a similar genre from earlier this year.

Could this be a case of blowing up the budget late in the game to use it to write off some other costs?
Warner didn't invest in Blade Runner, it was financed by Alcon and Sony.

Due to the financing agreement I doubt that they inflated the budget as a write off.

Mario007

I don't know really. I would say that it might do okish but jot great. If its sold as a bog sci fi flick that is. I mean Valerian did pretty well but it was helped by being starved for western releases after the summer.

deleted

I thought they were on the hook for P&A, Deadline disagrees with that assertion so I've adjusted accordingly:
It's bombing for Alcon.

Warner didn't invest in Blade Runner, it was financed by Alcon and Sony.

Due to the financing agreement I doubt that they inflated the budget as a write off.

How did this publishing deal come across anyhow?

Warner and Sony don't seem to strike me as companies that are that desperate to revive a 30 year old IP in tandem...

berzeli

Banned
How did this publishing deal come across anyhow?

Warner and Sony don't seem to strike me as companies that are that desperate to revive a 30 year old IP in tandem...
Alcon bought the rights in 2011, they're closely affiliated with Warner (virtually all their films have been distributed by them). However it seems like Warner didn't want to invest in Blade Runner, and Sony seems to want to get into the Villeneuve business (see: Cleopatra, and my pet theory is that they still have the Bond rights and want him for the job. I can dream, can't I?).

It's a slightly unusual arrangement.

deleted

I see, thanks!

I hope Villeneuve doesn't get too close to big budget Sony. Bond would be fine, but otherwise they are burning everything they touch atm. I was honestly surprised to see their logo at the start of the movie and it not ending up being a mess..

Pharaun

Judging by the early reactions to Thor: Ragnarok my staning appears to be justified. It's going to make all the monies!

berzeli

Banned
So because I can't sleep I did more some more crunching on the Interstellar comparison offered earlier in the thread:

Code:
		Blade Runner	Interstellar
Australia	$3,518,047	$3,622,811
Finland		$527,808	$391,433
Italy		$2,340,495	$3,604,199
Netherlands	$791,329	$868,376
New Zealand	$588,899	$527,865
(Interstellar did $487,100,000 internationally, over 72% of its total take was international)

Well, that's not conclusive. But it's not bombing everywhere at least.

kswiston

So because I can't sleep I did more some more crunching on the Interstellar comparison offered earlier in the thread:

Code:
(Interstellar did $487,100,000 internationally, over 72% of its total take was international)

I don't think expecting anything close to $487M overseas is reasonable, but I think that Blade runner has a decent shot at $300M worldwide, which would be disappointment territory instead of outright bomb.

GhaleonEB

Also, over or under $200 million for Last Jedi's opening weekend? I'm going with the over here.

Definitely over. Right now I'm thinking well over $200M but below TFA. Might revise closer to release depending on theater counts/IMAX share/round the clock showtimes/reviews.

Code:

Interstellar had a poor opening but great legs in Australia. It's second week was only a 9% drop. Blade runner won't come close to it in the end. Interstellar finished close to 17 million. Blade runner will struggle past the 10 million mark IMO.

Really disappointed by the box office performance of Blade Runner. It's a shame, considering it's the best movie this year. Still, I'm just happy it got made and I was able to watch it. The run time didn't bother me, I was engaged the entire time and never felt the pacing was slow.

Top Bottom