• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Direct (3DS Focused) Announced for June 21

Cerium

https://twitter.com/nintendo/status/876713242315243520

6月21日(水)20時より、「ドラゴンクエストXI 過ぎ去りし時を求めて Direct 2017.6.21」を放送します。「すれちがい通信」など、ニンテンドー3DS版だけの特徴を中心にお届けします(約14分)

14 Minutes Long.

If I'm reading it correctly it doesn't seem to rule out a Switch tease, but definitely it's mostly if not all 3DS.

Charamiwa

Banned
I assume this is strictly a japanese direct with no chance of a localization date?

edit: 3ds "mainly" mmmh... I'll keep a little hope in the back of my mind.

Focused mainly on 3DS right? Maybe we'll get a glimpse at the Switch version.
Pretty sure the only reason they mentioned 3ds only is because they don't want people to expect switch news from. It.

I also find it unlikely theyll release a switch version any time soon, It was either at launch a good while later.

I expect it to be all about the 3DS but they'll go "The Switch version is being developed, expect it later" at some point during the Direct. No screenshots or footage, just a small blurb about it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think we should expect Switch news for now, since IIRC SE already said they want to talk about it after the game releases on PS4 and 3DS.

With that said...is this the first game-specific Direct for a game also available on a competing platform? In that case, it means Nintendo has no problems in promoting in relevant ways non-exclusive content :p

Chauzu

Pretty sure the only reason they mentioned 3ds only is because they don't want people to expect switch news from. It.

I also find it unlikely theyll release a switch version any time soon, It was either at launch a good while later.

Reading it in japanese, the usage of the word "focus" here is very odd if they don't plan to talk about the Switch version imo.

Edit: focus might also apply to how they plan to focus on 3DS unique features, so maybe they imply they will focus on some features that is shared between PS4 and 3DS? Still weird way to word that imo.

Luigiv

If I'm reading it correctly it doesn't seem to rule out a Switch tease, but definitely it's mostly if not all 3DS.
Yeah that's what I figured too. But, really, at this point it doesn't make any sense to show off the Switch version until after the other versions launch, so I decided to go for the cheap joke.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah right. Is there any warning like "No NX/Switch/mobile talk", as it happened in previous Directs?

MoonFrog

Cool. Japan clearly wants to know when the rest of the world gets this game, Nintendo. So announce the localization, which we all know is well underway for a quick turnaround :p.

giphy.gif

That said, always with the "focus". It'll probably just announce a date for the Switch version by the end.

extralite

They should announce cross buy with the Switch version. If you already own the 3DS version, pay the surplus to get the Switch version when it releases. Would depend on SE to make that happen, obviously.

hongcha

They're not going to mention the Switch version in this direct.

You're not going to hear about it until after July 29th.

Vibed

Jeez, it's really weird, these days I forget Streetpass is still a feature in newer 3DS titles...wonder if it'll be at all like DQ IX.

duckroll

There's nothing weird or vague about the wording. This is a DQXI Direct where they will show off features unique to the 3DS version, like Streetpass. Not sure why people are trying to make it seem like there's something mysterious or some drama regarding how they are phrasing it. Couldn't be more clear.

N30RYU

There's nothing weird or vague about the wording. This is a DQXI Direct where they will show off features unique to the 3DS version, like Streetpass. Not sure why people are trying to make it seem like there's something mysterious or some drama regarding how they are phrasing it. Couldn't be more clear.
The lack or Switch footage is what is Mysterious and the fact that they make clear it's about the 3DS version makes ppl dramatic about how the switch version will end being.

Deja

Is it bad that I'm so anxious about this coming to the west? Best case scenario for me is 3DS version gets localised and the Switch gets a downgraded PS4 version.

MoonFrog

I hope they will show or say something at least about the switch version, that seems to be in a limbo?
We don't know if it's in limbo or not. They're just not discussing it until the release of the other two.

Could be it is due out just a few months later. Could be it is not coming for a good while.

Right... lol

extralite

The lack or Switch footage is what is Mysterious and the fact that they make clear it's about the 3DS version makes ppl dramatic about how the switch version will end being.

Quoting myself from an older thread:

Since there were comments asking about the Switch version of DQXI during the DQX stream, Tsubaki fowarded that question to Saitou:

https://youtu.be/ZJpKo1bFueg?t=36m13s

He says there isn't anything concrete to talk about yet and he has to wait for the right time to give concrete info. He also cites "adult circumstances" as a reason why he can't say anymore, which basically implies some kind of confidentiality.

Back when DQX got ports for PC, mobile and all Nintendo platforms, but not for PS4, Saitou cited "adult circumstances" as a reason why he couldn't comment on the prospects of a PS4 version. Many people on this forum assumed Nintendo had an exclusivity agreement with Squenix for DQX for that reason.

The Switch version of DQXI is long confirmed of course. I think Saitou maybe promised Sony not to talk about the Switch version as not to compromise the sales of the PS4 version. That's also in SE's best interest, obviously.

There is an official statement by SE that they will release info on the Switch version some time after the release of the other two.

duckroll

No? There is nothing mysterious about any of it. Clearly there are business reasons for S-E being unable to talk about the Switch version more until after the release of the versions they initially announced. That's about it. This is a Direct to show off the features unique to the 3DS version because Nintendo wants to push the version on their platform before the release date. Again, nothing surprising or weird or mysterious.

Fanboys need to chill.

cvxfreak

The wording implies that while the show will discuss 3DS-exclusive features, there will be other things discussed that are not necessarily 3DS only. This can easily, and in my opinion more likely, covers elements that might be shared with the PS4 version, like storyline. I really doubt it references a stealth Switch reveal as that version isn't mentioned anywhere on SE's website.

MoonFrog

No? There is nothing mysterious about any of it. Clearly there are business reasons for S-E being unable to talk about the Switch version more until after the release of the versions they initially announced. That's about it. This is a Direct to show off the features unique to the 3DS version because Nintendo wants to push the version on their platform before the release date. Again, nothing surprising or weird or mysterious.

Fanboys need to chill.

The great mystery they'll reveal is that 3DS version uniquely is already translated into English as well as Quenya and comes in a magic region free cart.

ASaiyan

Banned
Japanese only, I guess.
That the West isn't getting this in 2017 is becoming more and more clear :/. I wish we could get some kind of release window information, though; the games are out in Japan next month after all.

I'm also curious about the phantom Switch version; specifically, whether it's based on this version of the game or the PS4 one. Most people (myself included) are probably assuming the latter, but you never know, lol. It could even be its own version entirely.

extralite

That the West isn't getting this in 2017 is becoming more and more clear :/. I wish we could get some kind of release window information, though; the games are out in Japan next month after all.

I'm also curious about the phantom Switch version; specifically, whether it's based on this version of the game or the PS4 one. Most people (myself included) are probably assuming the latter, but you never know, lol. It could even be its own version entirely.

PS4 port is most likely since that would be the cheapest option. Also, PS4 version is the intended version and they only made the 3DS one to cover lost sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

this.
being a PS4 versions out there it is obviouse that they decided to underline "specific feature for the 3DS version" as a focus.
that's all

Chauzu

this.
being a PS4 versions out there it is obviouse that they decided to underline "specific feature for the 3DS version" as a focus.
that's all

Nintendo need to underline that the PS4 version won't be discussed in a Direct?

C'mon now.

People grasp the "mainly" I suppose.

At most I can see them saying that Yes the switch version is still coming at a later date.

Edit

8 PM = 7PM here. Not a sure timing to see live but I can read the comments!

Top Bottom