• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Practical Female Armor in RPGs?

RedSwirl

Yeah it's a common complaint and joke at this point about women in RPGs wearing metal bikinis gstrings, but I honestly think that even among examples of "practical" female armor some are better than others.

For example, I honestly don't like the kind of armor that technically covers everything, but is still molded around individual breasts. Examples include Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 3. I've seen actual photos of chicks wearing that and it looks ridiculous.

A while ago I read a random blog entry somewhere that I think was written by someone who makes armor for modern jousting tournaments responding to a request for such armor. He basically said that any woman who did go into combat back in the day basically wore men's armor. I've seen medieval paintings of that kind of thing as well as photos women wearing basically "normal" armor at modern jousting and nothing looks out of place about it.

I understand that fantasy worlds like Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls seem to be societies with a lot more gender equality than middle ages Europe, and therefore females make up a big enough portion of the armed forces for there to be "female-specific" armor, but forging in the actual boobs still doesn't look practical to me from a manufacturing standpoint. I'd imagine it being basically men's armor with a little bit more space at the chest (like Samus Aran's power armor for instance).

I honestly can't think of any specific "practical" examples in RPGs, but this general tumblr is a good starting point: http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

Save for the metal boobs, this is a decent set of medium armor
valkyrie-profile-psx-35.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fire Emblem!

380979-titanica_main_image.jpg

nephenee.png

meg.png

They often lack helmets though so that you can see their faces better.

Fire Emblem!

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/18405/380979-titanica_main_image.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/firelord609/nephenee.png

http://fireemblemblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/meg.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

And before someone says this is impractical, which it is, it's because she's a poor farm girl fighting in the milita, so it makes sense that her armor is all raggedy.

charsace

Its shocking how hard it is to find female characters that wear practical armor. I especially love it when female melee characters are designed show a lot of skin. You would think a melee fighter would at least wear leather instead of a cut off shirt and a pair of daisy dukes.

RedSwirl

Stealth Demon's/Dark Souls thread.

I've actually seen no pictures of what female armor looks like in those games. I've never seen it or used a female character.

Sharla's armor in Xenoblade is the most amazing thing ever and the exact opposite of what you're looking for in this topic.

I haven't met her in the game yet but from her description on the Wiki she seems like a riflewoman and a medic mainly, so that outfit doesn't look too out of whack.

ultron87

I haven't met her in the game yet but from her description on the Wiki she seems like a riflewoman and a medic mainly, so that outfit doesn't look too out of whack.

Some of her later outfits are truly ridiculous. Boob windows and assless pants ahoy.

Atolm

I've actually seen no pictures of what female armor looks like in those games. I've never seen it or used a female character.

The armors look the same for men and women, and you can't tell if there's a male or a female below.

jnYE9.jpg

Baha

I've always thought that Agrias from FFT was a good representation of a female knight with good practical armor in video games:

wyVtd.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nephenee.png

Nephenee in Radiant Dawn, for those complaining about her exposed legs.

(yes they're still unprotected somewhat)

Its not even necessarily unprotected so much as uncovered. Like, thigh-high stockings and a skirt-like piece of clothing that ends two inches below your waist, how is that in any context not sexualized?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
She's a poor farm girl and yet can afford dyed plate mail?
Boom. Drop the excuses FE fans, your game is pandering garbage.
The twist: It's exactly the same as the male armor.
Emma's from TLR suffers from a slight case of overdone sculpting, but is pretty reasonable still.
I dunno about that skirt man.

Jomjom

Banned
I've always thought that Agrias from FFT was a good representation of a female knight with good practical armor in video games:

Hair should have been tied up to avoid getting it caught somewhere, hindering vision on the battlefield, or having it pulled by an enemy, but otherwise good.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Yea, they have alot of good examples. I'd pick them too.

Well, most female characters in Fire Emblem don't wear metal armor; it's mostly cloth wearers.

Though this one is probably the most clothes you'll ever see on a female Masamune Shirow character :)

Fire.Emblem.392781.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Emma's from TLR suffers from a slight case of overdone sculpting, but is pretty reasonable still.

That's about as good as we're going to get if we insist on female armor having something "skirt-like" in its composition and not literally just being male armor with a bashed out chestplate.

Well, most female characters in Fire Emblem don't wear metal armor; it's mostly cloth wearers.

Though this one is probably the most clothes you'll ever see on a female Masamune Shirow character :)

Fire.Emblem.392781.jpg

I think this may be the other end of the spectrum, where it becomes impractical for wearing too much.

Top Bottom