• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model with 1TB HDD incoming

Klossen

Banned
Looks like the bluray drive might have been removed.

It's 300 grams lighter, uses 200 less mA, and uses 20 less watts according to the other image. Those line up practically perfectly with the specs of a disc drive.
That would be a huge blunder on Sony's part. Majority of console software sale is physical, and that number increases with casual players. Not to mention a BD-drive costing only $20 max. It Would cripple the PS4 severely for little profit gain.

barit

Unless you are incredibly wealthy to afford some enormous storage medium disks (or terabyte sized SSDs), the ever expanding size of games is going to eat through even terabyte sized platter drives in short order. Since the PS4 does not have 7 2.5/3.5" bays, its obviously rather hard to keep up with a singular drive unless you do delete games (or just buy less of them, I guess). External storage helps to alleviate this by giving you swappable storage.

I have a 1TB Segeat SSHD with currently 30~ games installed and still 200GB left. The fear of hitting the limit so fast is unjustified. And nobody said you have to put in a SSD. Normal 2.5TB would do the trick too and I bet you would need a couple of years to fill that thing except you buy every game that gets released but than you probably are wealthy and money is no problem for you. Just saying that you can upgrade the HDD at anytime and you are not forced to use the standard 500GB/1TB for the rest of your life like a certain other console.

Zophar

If this is going to become the new $400 it would probably be better to just buy the cheaper, lower density one along with a 2TB drive.

HUELEN10

Just saying that you can upgrade the HDD at anytime and you are not forced to use the standard 500GB/1TB for the rest of your life like a certain other console.

And what console would that be? Because it is certainly not the PS3, Wii U, Wii, Xbox 360, or Xbox One.

amnesiac

It's 300 grams lighter, uses 200 less mA, and uses 20 less watts according to the other image. Those line up practically perfectly with the specs of a disc drive.

Guess I'll just buy the standard model and upgrade the hard drive if this is true.

HUELEN10

Should that be the case, which I personally doubt, would there be room for a 3.5 inch drive bay?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Unless you are incredibly wealthy to afford some enormous storage medium disks (or terabyte sized SSDs), the ever expanding size of games is going to eat through even terabyte sized platter drives in short order. Since the PS4 does not have multiple 2.5/3.5" drive bays, its obviously rather hard to keep up with a singular drive unless you do delete games (or just buy less of them, I guess). External storage helps to alleviate this by giving you swappable storage.
It's really not as bad as I expected.

I installed a 2tb drive in my system and have installed 32 retail discs, all of the PS+ games, and a boatload of additional digital only titles and still have 900gb free. I purposely installed every possible game in order to see how much space it would actually require and, well, there it is.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Seems pointless for anyone with a PS4 to replace their with one of these obviously, it'd be cheaper to just replace it yourself. But good that 1TB will be the new standard for new buyers.

So this will be a digital only box?
Well only if that's the cause of the decrease in weight and power ;)

I'm not leaking or basing this off any inside knowledge.
That would be a huge blunder on Sony's part. Majority of console software sale is physical, and that number increases with casual players. Not to mention a BD-drive costing only $20 max. It Would cripple the PS4 severely for little profit gain.

Yeah it's weird. The only advantage I know of would be removing the drive as a way to shrink the system, but the FCC says these units have the same dimensions.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well only if that's the cause of the decrease in weight and power ;)

I'm not leaking or basing this off any inside knowledge.

Yeah it's weird. The only advantage I know of would be removing the drive as a way to shrink the system, but the FCC says these units have the same dimensions.

Could giving it an external power prick result in that sort of weight loss? Would also reduce heat too no?

barit

And what console would that be? Because it is certainly not the PS3, Wii U, Wii, Xbox 360, or Xbox One.

Yes only with PS3/PS4 you can upgrade internal HDD and gain a speed bonus when using SSD? Ofc you can hook up external HDD on the other consoles but that is sub-optimal. After external power brick and Kinect the last thing I would want is having another device laying around in my cabinet. But that's just my personal liking

Well this is potentially a very big deal. E3 announcement incoming. I wonder what the price will be and if a game will be bundled

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If a PS4 1TB model gets announced, it won't be until Sony appears at that October show. As for a price drop at E3, zero percent chance of it happening and here's why - the Batman Arkham Knight console bundle comes out eight days later for $400. Any price drop would require refunds of the difference and if not, consumers will simply cancel their pre-order. No announcement for a future price drop either because again, the Batman Arkham Knight console bundle comes out eight days later and announcing any future price drop would result in a lot of cancelled pre-orders. No way in hell that Sony is going to do that and be forced to refund consumers and if they refuse, consumers would just cancel their pre-orders which would also impact the Sony/WB deal.

Bottom line...if any console gets a price drop, it will be Xbox One to $300. If any console needs a price drop, it's Wii U to $200. The console that needs a price drop the least is PS4. They're dominating and June belongs to Sony. Only question will be by how much do they win the month by? As for losing April, no big deal whatsoever as it was only by 13K. Even if Sony loses May, it still doesn't matter because they dominated January, February and March plus June belongs to Sony.

Unless you are incredibly wealthy to afford some enormous storage medium disks (or terabyte sized SSDs), the ever expanding size of games is going to eat through even terabyte sized platter drives in short order. Since the PS4 does not have multiple 2.5/3.5" drive bays, its obviously rather hard to keep up with a singular drive unless you do delete games (or just buy less of them, I guess). External storage helps to alleviate this by giving you swappable storage.

I've got loads of games and still have the standard 500GB hard drive and find it just fine. It's so quick and easy to delete and reinstall things from the library that I just don't feel the need for a larger hard drive.

I guess I just don't understand this obsession with having everything installed all the time. Especially as you can just play another game while something is installing, or even just pop in a disc and have it install while you're playing another game.

But then I guess I'm the same with my Steam library, and regularly delete the local content of games I'm not playing.

Still, I'm glad I kept p.t. installed!

Liamario

Banned
Would be cool if they announced a network-only (non-BD) alternative version at some point.
In that case 1TB should be the starting point imo.

I'll never understand why Microsoft didn't do this with the Xbox One launch. Have two console variants. Standard console and a cheaper digital-only console and then they could still implement a lot of thier DRM plans.

knerl

Please, please fix the damn noise levels.
The current models can't handle full load or high load without breaking past 50-60dB which is insane for a gaming console. Temperatures are great, but the damn fan noise made me sell the system. Went through four of them trying to get one that wasn't so damn loud while playing for example TLOU or games with similar stress put to the system. Even opened one up and exchanged the thermal paste myself and managed to lower it by 5-10dB. Was still too loud. Impossible to keep it running during night time without getting a headache (or waking everyone in the vicinity up.) Might be effective cooling wise, but they cheaped out plenty on the solution. They should've kept the PSU external and put all that space to use for more fans.

rjcc

this seems insane, even if it's possible? more likely a redesigned system / power / cooling. Having a disc drive isn't a massive expense.

Not a chance. They also line up pretty perfectly with a product that has had its manufacturing optimized to reduce heat and cost.

Could giving it an external power prick result in that sort of weight loss? Would also reduce heat too no?

Yeah external power brick, or practically any combination of internal changes could be the cause.

This is more an example of Occam's Razor. The weight decrease matches that of a disc drive, the watt decrease matches that of a disc drive, and the amp decrease matches that of a disc drive. Without more evidence, it's most probable the disc drive was removed.

Also this is going off average disc drive specs. If someone knew the exact weight of the PS4's specific drive, then you guys could see if the theory holds up or not.

The current models can't handle full load or high load without breaking past 50-60dB which is insane for a gaming console. Temperatures are great, but the damn fan noise made me sell the system. Went through four of them trying to get one that wasn't so damn loud while playing for example TLOU or games with similar stress put to the system. Even opened one up and exchanged the thermal paste myself and managed to lower it by 5-10dB. Was still too loud. Impossible to keep it running during night time without getting a headache (or waking everyone in the vicinity up.) Might be effective cooling wise, but they cheaped out plenty on the solution. They should've kept the PSU external and put all that space to use for more fans.

Agree here....not sure how all the people who post that their ps4 is whisper silent...i now have three ps4 consoles and while the new console is much lower than the launch console
it still cranks up under load...you can tell the case was very rushed.....im hoping the release a slim with a silent fan.

Shin-Ra

Sounds like another minor internal revision.

Okay, I don't own a PS4, will one day, but not until next year at the earliest. I want them to add the ability to add storage so badly. That being said, how exactly does data management work. Can you full install any game before playing, can you make it so you manually delete and install every game? How is save data handled if you do not and will not get Plus?
1. You've been able to add storage since launch.
2. You can fully install a game before playing. Just insert the BD and don't play.
3. Data management is manual.
4. Save data can be copied to any FAT-formatted USB drive. The SanDisk Ultra Fit blends in well if you want to keep it plugged in all the time.

kyser73

It's really not as bad as I expected.

I installed a 2tb drive in my system and have installed 32 retail discs, all of the PS+ games, and a boatload of additional digital only titles and still have 900gb free. I purposely installed every possible game in order to see how much space it would actually require and, well, there it is.

Hey Dark, which HDD did you replace yours with? Did you follow the DF path and use a case-cracked Seagate?

Ban Puncher

That would double the price of a PS4, you know?

4ciCI.gif

I got the need.

The need for $peed.

Yeah external power brick, or practically any combination of internal changes could be the cause.

This is more an example of Occam's Razor. The weight decrease matches that of a disc drive, the watt decrease matches that of a disc drive, and the amp decrease matches that of a disc drive. Without more evidence, it's most probable the disc drive was removed.

That's not how Occam's razor works. You've basically thrown out the "all other things being equal" part by ignoring the marketing implications of selling a PS4 without the disc drive. It's far more probable that after 18 months of making these boxes they've been able to reduce the board complexity, reduce the power use and shaved some weight off the overall design. You know, what manufacturing revisions of a console typically entail, and not a drastic change in functionality.

That's not gonna happen. They're not desperate, they just want to keep their lead.

The XBO dropped $50 and people scooped that up like crazy. Sony doesn't need to have a fire sale, but a $50 price drop while offering a "one-and-done" $399 package would be a good move.

They were not desperate with PS2 either and yet when it got its first price drop it was $100 from $299 to $199 despite that they were crushing competition and for example in US PS2 was selling way better than PS4 does currently. $100 price drop can be more profitable for them even in rather short term because of huge boost in hw sales, sw sales and PS subscriptions. I stil think they will skip the $349 price point like with PS3 and go straight to $299 this fall.

Bastardo

More likely:

AMD did some process optimizations over the year == the chip needs a lower voltage now == it requires less power.
Less power equals lower heat output equals smaller heatsink.
Smaller heatsink equals less weight.

Bluray Drive will still be in.

Dariso

Neo Member

Yeah also notice that with mine and its practically new, bought it 1 month ago. They also behave kinda interesting, for example with something like the witcher III, going into the game menu quiets them down, but as soon as you get out they start getting noisy again.
I also found weird how the fans get really loud in a conversation cutscene(herbalist in white orchard), when one would think a conversation scene wouldn’t tax the system that much. Closing the game makes them go silent, which i also found odd, the system shouldn’t cool that fast after closing the game. The variable noise they make is pretty distracting to me.

Conduit

Banned
The current models can't handle full load or high load without breaking past 50-60dB which is insane for a gaming console.

50-60 dB?? That's insane. Any proof for that? I checked PS4 noise with Noise meter on my cell phone. I got around 25 dB under heavy load ( Killzone, Witcher 3 ). I know it's not 100% accurate, but 50-60....

OmegaDL50

Well it's possible, considering Sony covered thier base by making every single PS4 retail release available on the PS Store.

This means a full digital PS4 console without a Blu-Ray drive has access to the entire library (currently) via digital download.

Although this also may confirm a few things as well. If Sony was to ever include disc support for PS2 or PSX games via a future software based backwards compatibility without using PS Now, this eliminates that prospect, however it still doesn't rule out PSOne or PS2 Classics digitally, if they ever become a thing on a PS4.

Removing the Blu-Ray drive also means shifting further away home theater making the PS4 a more pure gaming device that focuses entirely on just digital content.

However the problem with this is those that already own a physical library on the PS4 would not find a use for it. So this will certainly divide the SKU base two ways, those that want physical versions of games and those that are purely digital only.

I don't think Sony is going to have a split SKU for this, and would rather have an all-in-one SKU that covers everything.

Caayn

Well it's possible, considering Sony covered thier base by making every single PS4 retail release available on the PS Store.

This means a full digital PS4 console without a Blu-Ray drive has access to the entire library (currently) via digital download.
Skylanders for one only has a physical version. Not sure if there are more. But not every single PS4 retail game has a digital counter part.

Top Bottom