• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams |OT| No unicorns allowed

berzeli

Banned
lzEsCZm.jpg

Electric Dreams is a sci-fi anthology series of ten epic, ambitious and moving standalone episodes, each set in a different and unique world – some which lie in the far reaches of the universe and time and others which are much, much closer to home. While the stories may be worlds apart, central to each is the poignant and warm exploration of the importance and significance of humanity.

Starts September 17th, 9pm on Channel 4 (UK)
Starts September 18th on Stan (Aus)
Starts 2018 on Amazon (USA)
R8tmMbA.png

XxLCt18.jpg
The Hood Maker
writer: Matthew Graham
director: Julian Jarrold
cast: Richard Madden, Holliday Grainger, Anneika Rose
synopsis: Set in a world without advanced technology and where mutant telepaths have become humanity's only mechanism for long distance communication. But their powers have unintended implications and when the public begin to embrace mysterious, telepath-blocking hoods, two detectives with an entangled past are brought in to investigate.​
gpPBdD4.jpg
The Impossible Planet
writer/director: David Farr
cast: Jack Reynor, Geraldine Chaplin, Benedict Wong
synopsis: Two disillusioned, disenchanted and indifferent space tourism employees take up an elderly woman's request for a trip back to Earth... the existence of which is a long-debunked myth. She appears easily confused, plus she's rich – so, for the right payment, what's the harm in indulging her fantasies? As the journey unfolds, however, their scam begins to eat away at them and they ultimately find themselves dealt a bittersweet surprise.​
KpUW1AO.jpg
The Commuter
writer: Jack Thorne
director: Tom Harper
cast: Timothy Spall, Tuppence Middleton
synopsis: An unassuming employee at a train station is alarmed to discover that a number of daily commuters are taking the train to a town that shouldn't exist.​
yBIM1r5.jpg
Real Life
writer: Ronald D. Moore
director: Jeffrey Reiner
cast: Terrence Howard, Anna Paquin, Lara Pulver
synopsis: A policewoman living in the future who shares headspace with George, a brilliant game designer, as each pursue violent killers whose plans could have shattering consequences. In a race against time, sharing a bond that no one else can see, they learn the very thing that connects them can also destroy them.​
PTSvDbZ.jpg
Crazy Diamond
writer: Tony Grisoni
director: Marc Munden
cast: Steve Buscemi, Julia Davis, Sidse Babett Knudsen
synopsis: Ed Morris is as average a man as ever there was, when approached by a gorgeous synthetic woman with an illegal plan that could change his life completely, a smitten Ed decides to help... and then his world really begins to crumble.​
pjpqp6n.jpg
Human Is
writer: Jessica Mecklenburg
director: Francesca Gregorini
cast: Bryan Cranston, Essie Davis, Liam Cunningham
synopsis: A woman suffering in a loveless marriage finds that upon his return from battle, her emotionally abusive husband suddenly appears to be a different man - in more ways than one.​
Kill All Others (coming in early 2018)
writer/director: Dee Rees
cast: Mel Rodriguez, Vera Farmiga
synopsis: A man hangs dead from a lamppost, apparently murdered and inexplicably ignored by passersby, after a politician makes a shocking statement encouraging violence. When one man dares to question the situation he becomes an instant target.​
Autofac (coming in early 2018)
writer: Travis Beacham
director: Peter Horton
cast: Janelle Monae, Juno Temple
synopsis: Despite society and the world as we know it having collapsed, a massive, automatic product-manufacturing factory continues to operate according to the principles of consumerism - humans consume products to be happy, and in order to consume continuously, they must be denied freedom of choice and free will. When a small band of rebels decide to shut down the factory, they discover they may actually be the perfect consumers after all.​
Safe And Sound (coming in early 2018)
writers: Kalen Egan, Travis Sentell
director: Alan Taylor
cast: Annalise Basso, Maura Tierney
synopsis: A small-town girl, already gripped with social anxiety, moves to a big futuristic city with her mother. Exposed for the first time to urban society's emphasis on security and terrorist prevention, it isn't long before her school days are consumed by fear and paranoia. She soon finds guidance and companionship in the most unexpected of places.​
Father Thing (coming in early 2018)
writer/director: Michael Dinner
cast: Greg Kinnear, Jack Gore, Mireille Enos
synopsis: The world is under attack as aliens quietly invade our homes. Our young hero must make the most difficult decisions imaginable, to protect his Mother and the human race, as he is among the first to realise that humans are being replaced by dangerous monsters.​
E5NxIFZ.png

Trailer #1
Trailer #2
Australian trailer
sFMl7SD.png

Den of Geek: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams: spoiler-free review
GQUK Magazine: Episode one review: The Hood Maker
Financial Times: Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams, Channel 4 — ‘worth staying in for'
RadioTimes: Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams: a real Runner or just Black Meh-ror? [<- fuck this pun]
The Guardian: Electric Dreams: The Hood Maker review &#8211; will make you want to take a look in the (Black) Mirror
News[dot]com[dot]au: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams is mind-bendingly good
DigitalSpy: 'The Hood Maker' is intelligent science fiction
kXbwaYm.png

The Guardian: The endless adaptability of Philip K Dick
Den of Geek: Visiting the set of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
Wired UK: Bryan Cranston on the beauty of Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
Sydney Morning Herald: In a mirror, darkly: the 'locks are off' for Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, say producers [<-this pun is great though]

dc89

Started to see the TV spots for this more and more recently.
Pretty intrigued by it.

Great OT by the way.

nomis

god bless black mirror for not only being good, but putting the sci fi anthology in vogue

i could watch these endlessly if the quality is there

[Insert joke about being a big Dick fan]

This snuck up on me. Hoping it is good and not a shameless grab at Black Mirror after C4 lost it to Netflix.

I can't handle all of this cyberpunk goodness lately. It's amazing that this sub-genre is coming back in such a big way in media again. Really looking forward to this.

tootie923

The talent they have here is crazy. Bryan Cranston, Mireille Enos, Vera Farmiga, Liam Cunningham. Hopefully this will give some good material for Mireille. The Catch was a terrible show, way beneath her.

Qasiel

I've been looking forward to this for a while as I love Phillip K. Dick's work. Channel 4 will do these justice, I reckon.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I love Dick so much. I lap up everything he does.*

I hope this does his work justice, and is not simply trying to make bank off the back of Black Mirror.

*I know.

Kalor

I'm looking forward to this tomorrow. I haven't looked into the episodes besides what the ads have been so this should be fun.

Just got some serious Twilight Zone vibes from the description of that second episode.

I hope this does well and these continue.

As is always the case with these things, the first episode sounds the least interesting :(

Looks amazing and that cast is a big surprise for something I'm only now hearing about. Sadly I've only just started my PKD journey so I want to know: are these all based off some of his short stories? Or is it mostly stuff from other minds but the entire project has his name on it?

dh4niel

I've read a few of his books. A Scanner Darkly being one of my favourite books ever. I don't know what any of the shows are based on but I'm eager to watch all of them.

Watching the Hood Maker right now, it's growing on me.

About halfway through the first ep and its a slow burn so far. Enjoying what has happened up to this point, excited to see where it goes from here. Richard Madden is good as always and the set design is really cool as well.

EDIT: Just finished, and man that slow burn was worth it for the ending. Really, really enjoyed it.

Kalor

That was a good start. It wasn't anything amazing but it shows promise for the rest of the season. The set and costume design was pretty good as well.

Whoa, thanks for making this thread I had no idea this existed.

I just started The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch a few days ago and I'm loving it. I can't wait to check this out.

GavinUK86

if anyone is interested the radio times have all the episodes listed and the names of the stories they are based off. good list if you wanna go out and read them either before or after the episodes.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-09-17/electric-dreams-tv-episode-guide/

this first one, the hood maker, is from the story the hood maker and it's in the book second variety: volume two of the collected stories, which also has the impossible planet, the commuter and human is.

also just found out they've released a new book containing all the stories from the series.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philip-K-Dicks-Electric-Dreams/dp/1473223288/?tag=rtgadgets-21

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the casts for these are insane. great work, casting agent!

i wonder if utilizing PKD's work will attenuate some of the spottier points of doing anthology work. BLACK MIRROR is so strong because it has a unique and strong voice behind it; it's basically 85% in the writing.

berzeli

Banned
So I will update the thread with some articles and things in a bit (still no word on US release date.) But I have to say, I failed you all with the OT title, Sydney Morning Herald had such a good pun I ashamed it didn't occur to me:
In a mirror, darkly: the 'locks are off' for Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams, say producers
It's so much better than my joke about unicorns.
the casts for these are insane. great work, casting agent!

i wonder if utilizing PKD's work will attenuate some of the spottier points of doing anthology work. BLACK MIRROR is so strong because it has a unique and strong voice behind it; it's basically 85% in the writing.
Not just the cast, some of the behind the camera talent is equally insane.

I think this will probably have less of a uniform "voice" but I'm not sure that it will be a strike against it. Doing episodes that are thematically and stylistically different could be very neat.
I saw Amazon app pop up into my Ps4, so maybe there's a change for EU to see this too!
I really hope Amazon doesn't snag it for rest of world, their video service is fucking abysmal.

Amazon is sending this to die in North America if they don't get it online fast. Are they waiting until each of the two runs is complete before they stream them? Foolishness.

GavinUK86

So I will update the thread with some articles and things in a bit (still no word on US release date.) But I have to say, I failed you all with the OT title, Sydney Morning Herald had such a good pun I ashamed it didn't occur to me:

It's so much better than my joke about unicorns.

Nooo, your title got a chuckle from me. I like it.

Top Bottom