• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fans port XBLA exclusive The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile to PC | Edit: Official port!

Restoration of justice? WTF?

I don't necessarily disagree with what he's doing, as long as the studio is cool with it since they weren't planning to do this, but he's got some really strange justifications for doing this.

Foffy

Banned
On one perspective, this is an idea that can "preserve" XBLA games once the servers go down.

On another, this is 100% not legal.

Haunted

Impressive job porting a game to another platform without access to the code.

The attempt at justification are hilarious, though. Ska Studios "not losing profit" is obviously bogus since a PC version could possibly cut into revenue of the 360 game. Also interesting that Ska Studios replied that there's no PC version yet, though that could just be smart language on their part.

kortez320

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand it's totally illegal and the argument that the developer is not losing money is a weak one. Just because there isn't a PC version doesn't mean there couldn't be a PC version.

On the other hand I agree that platform exclusives suck and are pretty much bad for everyone.

In the end though it's clearly wrong.

Noogy

I gotta say this is f'ed up. And I know James would love to bring the Dishwasher games to PC, it's not like he has a huge team that can do the port work. I recommend everyone avoid this hacker's work and support James when/if the games are properly released on PC.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Restoration of justice lol. If he is telling the truth about not stealing assets then why not just do a Gameloft and make something similar but not exactly the same eg. PlateCleaner: Succubus Smirk. It's still a crappy, creatively bankrupt thing to do but at least he wouldn't have to go through all these mental hoops to justify it.

Woorloog

Banned
Impressive, i guess, but still wrong. PC gamers are not entitled on XBLA exclusive (or vice versa).
Incredible bullshit too. Restoration of justice... :lol

petran79

Banned
they should have released it in patch format, without the need to include the original game.
But since this probably wasnt possible they included the game as well.

that is not how fan made projects should be done, especially for new and actively supported games.

catabarez

I gotta say this is f'ed up. And I know James would love to bring the Dishwasher games to PC, it's not like he has a huge team that can do the port work. I recommend everyone avoid this hacker's work and support James when/if the games are properly released on PC.

Noogy you gotta talk to him :p I know Dishwasher would sell a good amount on Steam like Dust.

antitrop

You know what James Silva game I REALLY want on PC?

I Made A Game With Zombies In It.

Yes. That's the one. Best $1 I ever spent on XBLI.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
sorry, this is pretty much the definition of piracy

who did the port work for Dust?

Syril

The port is still in beta. Wouldn't it not be too late at this point for him to work out an arrangement with the hacker to make it official?

Atomski

"This is not piracy. This is restoration of justice."

While I may not agree with the dumb things this guy says.. honestly when years have passed and the 360 starts to become obsolete I would hope hackers would bring what games they could to PC so that we have some way of preserving them.

Really its just bad timing and wording on his part.

LegatoB

The port is still in beta. Wouldn't it not be too late at this point for him to work out an arrangement with the hacker to make it official?
It takes a very gracious person to partner with someone who was openly ripping you off with no intentions of even asking for your blessing, nevermind your permission.

K.Sabot

They should do this for more games.

Because what happens to these games when Xbox Live inevitably shuts down its 360 servers?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
While I may not agree with the dumb things this guy says.. honestly when years have passed and the 360 starts to become obsolete I would hope hackers would bring what games they could to PC so that we have some way of preserving them.

XBLA games work offline in perpetuity. 360s will be working/repairable for a long time, with obviously perfect compatibility.
They're not even attempting to hide what this is by asking people to pay for the 360 version.

Tain

Yeah. He said it in a pretty hilariously douchey way, but should 360 Live ever go down I would hope pirates have all the DD titles preserved in some way. A bit soon for this game, though.

They should do this for more games.

Because what happens to these games when Xbox Live inevitably shuts down its 360 servers?

Looks like you should only expect XNA games to get this treatment. Which is very few of the 360 games outside of the Indie channel.

Syril

It takes a very gracious person to partner with someone who was openly ripping you off with no intentions of even asking for your blessing, nevermind your permission.

Well, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but if I was in a position where someone else had ported my game to a platform I hadn't planned on releasing for, I would see that as an opportunity to have a new release. I don't really see this hypothetical as any different than when XSEED licensed a fan translation for Ys or when Sega hired a hacker for the Sonic CD remaster who had started to make his own unofficial port of that game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Looks like you should only expect XNA games to get this treatment. Which is very few of the 360 games outside of the Indie channel.

Which is a happy coincidence. Unlike XBLA games, XBLIG games need Live authentication, which is why I've never bought one.

Well, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but if I was in a position where someone else had ported my game to a platform I hadn't planned on releasing for, I would see that as an opportunity to have a new release. I don't really see this hypothetical as any different than when XSEED licensed a fan translation for Ys or when Sega hired a hacker for the Sonic CD remaster who had started to make his own unofficial port of that game.

Even with the exclusivity contract? Lol

ArjanN

Noogy you gotta talk to him :p I know Dishwasher would sell a good amount on Steam like Dust.

Agreed.

The game looked fun from that I've seen of it, I think it could do pretty well on Steam. I'd buy it.

The guy who ported it should have just contacted the developer beforehand and offered to help him with a port, if he cared that much.

TAJ

You really think the developers need help porting an XNA game to PC? Come on now.

Jamezila

Neo Member
Hey guys, James here!

All of the people who said nice things: thanks!

The guy who said just get Dust on PC: agreed!

I want to give the cracker/porter dude the benefit of the doubt over the "restoration of justice" thing, he probably didn't mean to make it sound quite so PC Gamer Master Race... Like I said on indiestatik, I'm flattered, impressed, but still a little bit weirded out by the bizarre moralistic stuff.

Sorry the game's not on PC in any official capacity yet! The main reason it's not is because even though the game was developed on a PC, releasing on PC and working out all of the input, display sizes, graphics options involved is a lot of work (and a lot more work than it sounds like!). I know Dean was working on Dust PC for at least a few months before it was even announced (sorry if I've said too much, Dean!), and for us, when Vampire Smile shipped, we were already full speed on Charlie Murder. Once Charlie ships, I'd like to try working on a Vampire Smile PC port, but I'd really like to give it a Director's cut treatment--rework some areas, add environmental hazards and new enemies, etc., so we wouldn't really be missing out if there's a cracked torrent with broken shaders floating around somewhere.

And as someone who grew up wanting to make Nintendo games, I really really really wanted this as a console title first. The thought of playing it with a keyboard gives me a nervous tick. Now that Xbox360 gamepads have become so ubiquitous, it's all more or less water under the bridge (the last shooter I played on PC that I used mouse+keyboard for was System Shock 2), but the thought of anyone playing Vampire Smile with a keyboard is still not super pleasant.

Edit: didn't realize Dean was here. Hi Dean! THEY STOLE MAH STUFF

hwalker84

I'd buy the game if Ska actually made a PC port. I will not support piracy. Dust was a game I loved at Pax liked Noogy as a person. Bought the game when it came out on Xbox but didn't put any time into it until the PC version. Dishwasher is the exact same scenario.

Hey guys, James here!

I want to give the cracker/porter dude the benefit of the doubt over the "restoration of justice" thing, he probably didn't mean to make it sound quite so PC Gamer Master Race... Like I said on indiestatik, I'm flattered, impressed, but still a little bit weirded out by the bizarre moralistic stuff.

Sorry the game's not on PC in any official capacity yet! The main reason it's not is because even though the game was developed on a PC, releasing on PC and working out all of the input, display sizes, graphics options involved is a lot of work (and a lot more work than it sounds like!). I know Dean was working on Dust PC for at least a few months before it was even announced (sorry if I've said too much, Dean!), and for us, when Vampire Smile shipped, we were already full speed on Charlie Murder. Once Charlie ships, I'd like to try working on a Vampire Smile PC port, but I'd really like to give it a Director's cut treatment--rework some areas, add environmental hazards and new enemies, etc., so we wouldn't really be missing out if there's a cracked torrent with broken shaders floating around somewhere.

And as someone who grew up wanting to make Nintendo games, I really really really wanted this as a console title first. The thought of playing it with a keyboard gives me a nervous tick. Now that Xbox360 gamepads have become so ubiquitous, it's all more or less water under the bridge (the last shooter I played on PC that I used mouse+keyboard for was System Shock 2), but the thought of anyone playing Vampire Smile with a keyboard is still not super pleasant.

Welcome! Looking forward to a PC version if it happens.

catabarez

Hey guys, James here!

I would love for Dead Samurai to be a possibility as well :)

charsace

All the port begging for xbox exclusives has finally lead to someone illegally porting the games. I had a feeling this would eventually happen. Can't wait for Halo 3 PC fan edition.

Decado

Hey guys, James here!

I'd love to see Dead Samurai, Vampire's Smile and Charlie Murder all on PC. They're some of the (few) reasons I still have a 360 and would love to put that console out to pasture. Your games coming to PC will pretty much do it at this point.

kick51

Banned
What better way to make yourself look morally just than to NOT contact the guy whose work your porting for his opinion?

Hey guys, James here!

Hey James -- Just wanted to say I love your XBL games and, echoing another poster here, they're one of the few reasons I still have a 360.

I would love for Dead Samurai to be a possibility as well :)

Yes. James, listen to this man!

I'd love to see Dead Samurai, Vampire's Smile and Charlie Murder all on PC. They're some of the (few) reasons I still have a 360 and would love to put that console out to pasture. Your games coming to PC will pretty much do it at this point.

I echoed your statement above. It's so full of delicious truthiness.
Also, James, listen to this guy even harder than the last guy! ;)

Put them on Steam. Seriously. They will sell, I'd wager. I know I'd buy them (all) day one.

NotLiquid

Hey guys, James here!

Vampire Smile was one of my favorite games of that year and it's still one of my favorite beat 'em ups of all time. The stylistic flair is incredible. I'd totally double dip if it gets an official PC port. Keep up the good work, guys.

EvB

The didn't sell the brand of jeans I like in the shop I normally shop in, so I just stole it from the shop that did sell it.

#restorationofjustice

Vorg

Banned
Hey guys, James here!

Sorry the game's not on PC in any official capacity yet! The main reason it's not is dbecause even though the game was developed on a PC, releasing on PC and working out all of the input, display sizes, graphics options involved is a lot of work (and a lot more work than it sounds like!). I know Dean was working on Dust PC for at least a few months before it was even announced (sorry if I've said too much, Dean!), and for us, when Vampire Smile shipped, we were already full speed on Charlie Murder. Once Charlie ships, I'd like to try working on a Vampire Smile PC port, but I'd really like to give it a Director's cut treatment--rework some areas, add environmental hazards and new enemies, etc., so we wouldn't really be missing out if there's a cracked torrent with broken shaders floating around somewhere.

Just wanted to say vampire smile was probably the best use of 800msp ever. I love that game. Are you considering other platforms besides pc as well?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey guys, James here!

I think I understand your feelings, but please, please include keyboard controls. Some of us have disabilities which make using controllers impossible. The want for decent kb+m support isn't always just a case of PC elitism. For myself and a few other GAF members, it's a desperate plea.

Top Bottom