• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

AniHawk

Like the topic says, this is for making video game magazine ads.

This is how it will work: I'll name a game or system or accessory, and you'll have three days to complete a 1-3 page magazine ad for it. The topic of the ad might come from any genre and any era, and it's up to you to "sell" the product.

Some guidelines:
1. For consistency's sake, the dimensions will be 8.5x11 inches and vertical (if you want to make it a 2 or 3 page spread, it can be wider). I'll ask you to either upload it in a smaller size if you plan to post it here, or just link to it.
2. You can use official artwork, screencaps, your own artwork, or anything you can think of that would help "sell" the product (photographs, obscure designs, etc). I wouldn't use fanart though, even though this is just for fun.
3. Make sure you have these two things in the ad: the name of the product and who makes it. You don't have to put what system it's out for, but if you want to, go ahead.
4. You can make up your own text/slogan if you feel like it. It's up to you.
5. You can use MS Paint, Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel Painter, or whatever the hell you have at your disposal.
6. You can post as many as you think you can make with the current product in mind as long as it comes in before the due date. On every project, it's up to you if you want it to be a 1 page ad, or 2 or 3.
7. Only constructive criticism is allowed in this thread. Or else.

The current topic is Dudebro. This will be the final topic for this thread before it becomes a free-for-all again. You have until the end of January 31 PST, to get in your submissions.

Flek has made an album found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neogaf
It will be updated with all the completed ads.

Download all the Mega Man 9 ads here.
Download all the Persona 4 ads here.
Download all the Mirror's Edge ads here.
Download all the MadWorld ads here.
Download all the Braid ads here.
Download all the Team Fortress 2 ads here.
Download all the Street Fighter IV ads here.
Download all the Left 4 Dead ads here.
Download all the Link's Awakening ads here.
Download all the Sega Dreamcast ads here.
Download all the Killzone 2 ads here.
Download all the Final Fantasy series ads here.
Download all the Rez ads here.
Download all the World of Goo ads here.
Download all the LittleBigPlanet ads here.
Download all the Beyond Good & Evil ads here.
Download all the Metal Gear Solid 4 ads here.
Download all the Super Mario Galaxy ads here.
Download all the Pong ads here.
Download all the No More Heroes ads here.
Download all the Free-for-All #1 ads here.
Download all the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ads here.
Download all the Starcraft series ads here.

If you want to find fonts, I've been using this site: www.1001freefonts.com
Or use dafont.com

If you're new to this thread, you're free to try your hand at one of the ads that have already been done.

Some examples:

Shadow of the Colossus
Atari
Sega Saturn (NSFW)
Phantasy Star Online

Platinum Games at Platinum Games has taken notice of this thread.
n19840559024_1221182_4145.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PlatinumGames-Inc/19840559024

Also, as more proof of their awesomeness:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349539&page=47

Anyway, it's up to you. Be creative and have fun.

Firestorm

Hey I remember that PSO ad campaign. This looks like fun. I might try my hand at something once I'm not half-asleep. I'll check out the HD art thread for some good images.

zoku88

Firestorm said:
Hey I remember that PSO ad campaign. This looks like fun. I might try my hand at something once I'm not half-asleep. I'll check out the HD art thread for some good images.
It's actually the only one in the OP that I remember seeing :lol

I really thought that it would real-time translate late anything you said.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MEGAMAN9-MAGAZINEAD-PL.png

I intentionally left off the systems this was made for and am intending to drive traffic to our (Capcom's) website, where we can get them to sign up early for various free DLC (and to add them to our mailing list for future advertisements).

AniHawk

I didn't know you worked for Capcom.

I like the idea, and the text from the game. If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to focus in on one of the buildings (or have a different picture with a building closer in the foreground). Mega Man looks huge in relation to everything else.

AniHawk

autobzooty said:
i like this thread. i'll probably do some in the future, but everything i think of for MM9 seems too obvious. :lol

Do the obvious, get it out of your system, and maybe something else will strike you. It also might not actually be so obvious anyway.

I worked on this at 1700x2200 and am posting the much-scaled-down 425x550 version. If I do more I'll probably do the same. So in the chance that anyone actually wants a higher quality version of any of mine, give me a shout.

This was appealing to work on because it was Less Difficult to do than some more complicated ideas I had. I see KevinCow went a similar route; not so surprising. I do like the retrofied low-color logos on mine, though it's harder to tell the difference with the Xbox Live/PSN logos at such a small size, and WiiWare/Capcom being low-color to begin with.

20090120megaman9fakead.png

Mdk7

Did a quick job, i just tried to capture the graphic cheesiness of the 80s...
Pardon my poor skills...

Megaman9-1.png

EDIT: i forgot the Capcom logo... 3_3"
I'll add that later when i come back home.

Mdk7

Rewrite said:
Mdk7, I love it! :D
Thanks buddy! :D

Actually one thing came to my mind... is "80s" correct? Or is "The 80s" better?
English is not my first language, help me! :lol

Mdk7 said:
Thanks buddy! :D

Actually one thing came to my mind... is "80s" correct? Or is "The 80s" better?
English is not my first language, help me! :lol

"The 80s are back" would be correct. Fun idea :)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
DigitalA1chemy said:
Might as well go old-school with the ad as well:

PIC

Best so far, and the ad seems like it's been thought out well. It really does look like older ads -- fonts and everything.

Mdk7

orioto said:
now this is truly amazing.
:O

So beautiful!!

And kudos to all the others as well!!

I got another idea, i don't know if i'll be able to eventually do it but i'll try later.

When I read the OP I thought it wouldn't be fun just going on one theme but how wrong I was. I can't wait until I get home today to try my hand at some ads. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's some really great stuff in here. I might try my hand at this later on.

Defuser

Why do I get the feeling bruceleeroy or Modus will come in and kick ass. I better start thinking what to design.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Orobi: love it. The only thing it really needs is a realistic looking footer with the included systems and legal info. I'd like to see it in black, too.

Ani: Good ideas. I'll update it tonight.

Such awesome pieces in here. Well, here is mine, just for the fun of it. I hijacked the buster from kevincow :lol , dont kill me.

Page 1, side bar:
291m438.jpg

Page 2:
29z7tar.jpg

Top Bottom