• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs sold 2/3rds of copies on PS4/XB1/PC, Ubisoft reveals digital sales ratios

Saty

Did they say anything interesting in the call?

Of the overall sell-through data of WD, PC represented 10-12% - of which 70% were digital.
PS4\XB1 digital share of is 10%, with the XB1 being a bit more than 10% and the PS4 a bit less than 10%.

The digital share for 360\PS3 is only 3 to 5%.

Digital copies are bought more in the US than in Europe.

More physical-digital ratios:

Valiant Hearts - 50-50
Child of Light - 75% digital, 25% physical.

Watch Dogs sales: 2\3 on next-gen+PC , 1\3 on 360&PS3.

Caayn

This doesn't surprise me. When you see the digital prices for this title (and almost every other title) in the EU, €69.99 digital versus €50~€60 for a physical copy. That's a $13~$27 difference.

The Llama

Can someone post the overall sales breakdown (I think we've seen it before...)? Just curious exactly how the PC sales compare to the other platforms, in terms of percentage.

Kyoufu

I wonder why?

JKVNjW8l.jpg

Yeah the prices are the #1 problem for Europeans. I'm personally all digital download now but that is thanks to the US marketplace being semi-open to foreigners.

The "VAT" excuse doesn't hold up. Stop fucking us over with your bullshit prices please.

Really interesting how low Next-Gen console digital sales are. I would have guessed a lot higher. Like, under 10% on PS4? Wow!

I guess we really weren't ready for an all-digital future.

Really interesting how low Next-Gen console digital sales are. I would have guessed a lot higher. Like, under 10% on PS4? Wow!

I guess we really weren't ready for an all-digital future.
Yea, I really have no incentive to go digital. With retail I can resell it later if I'd like, doesn't affect my bandwidth caps and I have a friend that I loan games with back and forth. Picking up used games for almost half price a few months later is awesome too.

Works out great.

Kysen

Why buy for £59.99 when I can swap over to my us account and pay $60(£35). The only ones losing out are SCEE.

PS4\XB1 digital share of is 10%, with the XB1 being a bit more than 10% and the PS4 a bit less than 10%.

This is interesting.

Wonder why the percentage of digital purchases is higher on the X1? More people taking advantage of the easy region change to buy cheaper games?

@Wreck

going digital is about having space in my small condo lol

i have unlimited bandwidth from TekSavvy

was a good game i'm looking forward to unity

goto finish black flag

Nzyme32

This is interesting.

Wonder why the percentage of digital purchases is higher on the X1? More people taking advantage of the easy region change to buy cheaper games?

The difference is practically negligible since it is less than 1% difference. It seems pointless to compare the 2

BigDug13

Kind of surprised more of the PC sales aren't digital - like 90% or more.

The idea that PC gamers are already proving that the world is ready to eliminate physical media was grossly misrepresented. PC retail is still a thing just like music on Compact Disc is still a thing. And publishers won't want to leave money on the table by abandoning retail anytime soon.

DSN2K

I do wonder sometimes who in the UK buys games for £59.99 on PSN ... I mean anyone with a brain knows they can get it cheaper and the advantages of Digital simply aren't worth it.

Nzyme32

The idea that PC gamers are already proving that the world is ready to eliminate physical media was grossly misrepresented. PC retail is still a thing just like music on Compact Disc is still a thing. And publishers won't want to leave money on the table by abandoning retail anytime soon.

And this is largely only in regions that have largely exaggerated digital prices due to poor euro conversion, which is easily avoidable through savy retail purchasing

Jonm1010

Banned
The prices on the EU store are disgusting. Think the DA:I Deluxe is £64.99 on PSN. Then they wonder why we don't want to buy digitally.
This is what continues to baffle me. As a publisher you are saving costs going digital yet you charge them equal or greater for the digital version.

If you want digital adoption lower the price!!

You want to change the buying habits of consumers to adopt the more publisher friendly digital distribution model give them incentive to do so. If the consumer is giving up their ability to have a physical copy and to re-sell for a glorified long term rental that is dependent on the network it's attached to then you have to fairly price it to account for that.

Do you think it's hard to open session with your US PSN account and go to PS Store?

No? That doesn't mean it's not easier on X1 as it doesn't require you to set up a secondary account. You can use your primary account...

The difference is practically negligible since it is less than 1% difference. It seems pointless to compare the 2

Fair enough, seemed like a big enough difference to mention, but you're probably right. We'd need the actual numbers to determine how big/small the difference is.

Saty

You can hear the conference call here: http://www.media-server.com/m/p/ou9n6mx5
The questions (aka the good part) starts 13minutes in.

Unless i misheard, they also said that the overall digital percentage of Watch Dogs is 14%, which is double of that of Black Flag which was 7%.

Working from the total shipped figure and coupled with the PC overall+digital share; the overall digital share; console digital share and ps4xb1pc vs 360-ps3 split, maybe some people can do some math and get some sort of unit estimations for the skus.

Top Bottom