• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity "Next Chapter" Reveal - 30/4 (Marvel)

oti

Banned
Here's what I got today. (Sorry for the huge image.)

BlVwscTCcAEvO9O.jpg

It reads:
Webcast Live
Wednesday 30/4/2014, 19:00 CET
The link for the webcast will be provided to registered press on the 29th.

That's supposed to be an invitation, so they won't share the link publicly? That sounds odd.
Blurred out part is the press contact.

botty

Banned
Fucking dumb we might get Iron Man playable before Donald or Goofy lol

Well, the game isn't as popular as they thought it would be. Not surprised that they are pulling the Marvel card in an act of desperation. I imagine Star Wars will follow suit in the coming months. And even then it will probably be just the figurines that people buy.

ooPo

Neo Member
The big question is can Iron Man go into the PotC playset and can Rocket Raccoon go into the Cars playset, etc?

Probably not. You can't play characters in playsets they're not designed for. Everyone can play in toybox mode however.

Linkified

Probably not. You can't play characters in playsets they're not designed for. Everyone can play in toybox mode however.

Can any Skylanders characters play in its story mode? If so Disney should of just allowed Pirates to play in Cars playset, etc. and not be so protective of each Brand.

Since all the marvel characters exist in the same fictional universe, the marvel version should be more like skylanders (I hope).

RedStep

Well, the game isn't as popular as they thought it would be. Not surprised that they are pulling the Marvel card in an act of desperation. I imagine Star Wars will follow suit in the coming months. And even then it will probably be just the figurines that people buy.

Uhhhh.. what? Do you have some basis for this statement or is it just "Sales from my Ass: Volume 13"? Because there have been a ton of articles (and financial reports, etc) that say the exact opposite thing.

GamaSutra said:
The departure comes right after a quarter that saw profits within Disney's game division, thanks to the success of the video game-toy crossover, Disney Infinity. The game has sold over 1 million starter packs globally, Disney said.

New York Times said:
"Disney Interactive swung to a profit of $16 million in the last quarter from a loss of $76 million in the year-ago period. Revenue more than doubled, to about $396 million. Those improved results, partly offset by troubles in social gaming, were largely because of Infinity, although the division also benefited from sales of Disney-branded mobile devices in Japan."

"December sales for Infinity, reported by NPD on Thursday, totaled 551,000 units. Skylanders SWAP Force, the third installment of that series, sold 597,000 units"

“We’re thrilled that families and gamers alike have embraced Disney Infinity,” James Pitaro, the president of Disney Interactive, said in an email. He added that sales have greatly exceeded internal expectations. “We believe we’ve set the stage for Infinity to be an enduring video game platform.”

Sales may of exceeded expectations but people seem to be incredibly unsatisfied with it.

Especially with the way content is locked to characters/franchises made it very frustrating to my 4 year old.

We traded it in for more Skylanders.

Can any Skylanders characters play in its story mode? If so Disney should of just allowed Pirates to play in Cars playset, etc. and not be so protective of each Brand.

Doing that would force them to make the gameplay experience be the same across all universes. Which would be shitty.

The open world sea ship stuff in Pirates wouldn't work with Cars, and the puzzle like structure of Monsters U wouldn't make sense with Jack Sparrow.

18-Volt

They should try to get third party licenses too. DC Infinity, Cartoon Network Infinity, Nickelodeon Infinity...

Linkified

Doing that would force them to make the gameplay experience be the same across all universes. Which would be shitty.

The open world sea ship stuff in Pirates wouldn't work with Cars, and the puzzle like structure of Monsters U wouldn't make sense with Jack Sparrow.

How so? I think watching Mater steer the Black Pearl would be hilarious, especially if each range of characters had extra properties e.g. Cars instantly die when in water.

You don't have to make the experience vanilla - they should of allowed all characters to be allowed in all playsets though. I don't see how having a humanoid character from Brand A wouldn't make sense to have humanoid character from Brand B in it .... to me that would be the whole point of this, not some Toybox mode thing.

derfybzh

They can do whatever they want if the game is not fun to my six years old I'll still only buy Skylanders.
I don't want to buy a game for 18 years old to my 6 years son, and it was not a fun game for me either

RedStep

Sales may of exceeded expectations but people seem to be incredibly unsatisfied with it.

Especially with the way content is locked to characters/franchises made it very frustrating to my 4 year old.

We traded it in for more Skylanders.

I agree with that - it has the base for a good game but they didn't make a good game out of it. We spent more on Infinity but actually played Skylanders SF to the end because you can just you know, take your character and play the game. They need to make some big changes for the next one.

But the idea that they are desperate for money after the failure of the first game is ridiculous.

ElNino

They can do whatever they want if the game is not fun to my six years old I'll still only buy Skylanders.
I don't want to buy a game for 18 years old to my 6 years son, and it was not a fun game for me either
This is how feel as well. We were looking forward to Infinity, but the game simply isn't very fun.

DrXym

I was burned once by the kids wanting Skylanders and ending up spending a fortune on figurines to unlock the game. It would have to be a pretty spectacular game to make me want to suffer that again.

As an aside I'm surprised no one has figured a way to "rip" the RFID codes from retail packs with a phone and play them back by sticking the phone on a stand.

fernoca

Doing that would force them to make more crazy stuff, which should be the whole point of this game. Create some story around how the worlds collided and let people swap character in and out at any time. Disney already has released Cars products to use in (and under) water; so is not like they're against any crazy ideas. Put characters in boats in water stages, gave them wings or jetpacks to flying levels, etc.

But instead, Infinity was like playing the separate standalone games for each franchise in one package...and in some cases (like Toy Story 3 and Cars 2) the standalone games were already better and cheaper too than buying the 2 figures + disc sets.

The figures were nice collectibles at least, but the actual use in game left a lot to be desired. Was the equivalent of playing Assassin's Creed II with the (limited edition) Ezio statue right next to your TV, since the figurines do basically nothing.

There's still some promise, hopefully they fix a ton of things on this year's game..and hopefully make a more Disney oriented game at some point. Seeing how even Mickey was left not only as one of the last figurines to be officially released, but used only on Toy Box was disappointing.

I wish they would look like that! I really disliked how the human characters were designed, especially Jack Sparrow. A shame if the Marvel ones follow suit.
Star Wars characters will probably ripped from Clone Wars, since it's close the visual style of Infinity.

Top Bottom