• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "On PC, you don't usually care about performance"; just buy a bigger GPU

Speaking to Edge about the ease in which the studio achieved results when working on the Xbox One and PS4, Trottier said: "The new platforms are a lot closer to PC, so my engineers could do the R&D on PC and we knew it would work fairly easily on next-gen platforms. It needed to be adapted, but everything does.

"It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU. Once you get on console, you can't have this approach."
Videogamer via EDGE Issue 261

bdouble

Wow these types of views and comments just solidify that most of these companies have no clue about the PC market and why Valve is widening thr gap.

kazebyaka

Banned
Well, he isn't wrong per se. The game will definitely run better with better rig. But it's still not an excuse for bad ports.

Damian.

Banned
Except that with Ubi games, you can buy the biggest GPU setup allowed and still have subpar performance because their devs are fucking incompetent and haven't ventured past coding for a Core2Duo system.

BlackJet

It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU.

Sure Ubisoft, if that makes you sleep better at night. If I didn't care about performance, I would just buy a console.

Guys, I don't think we should misinterpret what they're saying. They're simply pointing out that on consoles the developer has to cut back visuals in order to get the game running decently, while on PC this decision is left in the gamer's hands. The developer provides options and the gamer decides if he wants to drop settings of upgrade if his hardware is not strong enough. It's not controversial at all and there is no need for any outrage.

hwateber

With the PC performance woes of AC4 and the recently released ps4 patch, I think now is a good time to remove it from the shrink wrap

Obviously this is how it's done. I've been wrong all this time. That 545 dollar card I bought near the beginning of the year? Garbage. Time to discard it and buy a "Bigger" one.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
c1l1LZq.gif

Binabik15

AH HA HA HA HA...HA HA...ha?

I thought we had left those dark times of buying a new GPU for a new game behind us. And even back then, those games were usually doing new and exiting things, not unpolished multiplatform ports.

WTF is Ubisoft´s problem with the PC? They make all kind of excuses to not put games on PC, and then when they do, they make shitty ass ports. Fuck off Ubisoft.

hoserx

Obviously this is how it's done. I've been wrong all this time. That 545 dollar card I bought near the beginning of the year? Garbage. Time to discard it and buy a "Bigger" one.

yes. If your card is 11", you need a 12-13" card. It doesnt even have anything to do with the power of the GPU on that card. Just size.

RedSwirl

I think we need to remember that a lot of these guys: EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, Rockstar, etc., are mainly console developers and have almost always been. They aren't native to the PC like Bethesda, iD, Epic, IW, Crytek, and Valve are, though EA does have PC-native teams under it like BioWare and DICE.

Damian.

Banned
Guys, I don't think we should misinterpret what they're saying. They're simply pointing out that on consoles the developer has to cut back visuals in order to get the game running decently, while on PC this decision is left in the gamer's hands. The developer provides options and the gamer decides if he wants to drop settings of upgrade if his hardware is not strong enough. It's not controversial at all and there is no need for any outrage.

It's controversial since he is speaking in terms that his company doesn't work with. Terms like "optimized". Optimized games can scale with greater hardware. Ubi games hit a wall and can never get past a certain point no matter how much power you throw at it. Hollow statements from a hideously hollow company.

Leks

Oh Ubisoft...

With Uplay, usually we don't really care about the issues and the optimisation, because the idea is that if you can't run our games, we'll never fix it.

mjontrix

Except that with Ubi games, you can buy the biggest GPU setup allowed and still have subpar performance because their devs are fucking incompetent and haven't ventured past coding for a Core2Duo system.

Think you're giving them too much credit xD

it's going to end up being a compiler flag thing just like Skyrim...

Still won't fix the multicore issues but it's a start.

Mesoian

Jesus Christ Ubisoft...why would you ever say that to a reporter?

Might as well admit to the world that you don't employ competent programmers.

Buying a bigger GPU doesn't even solve AC4's problems.

Just...wow.

Top Bottom