• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

El_Chino

vzVPdFf.png
BIG 12 and the SEC love true freshman.

andycapps

Some of those pictures are really reaching. Some pictures of some very average looking college cars that look pretty busted up. Unless the original poster was assuming it's impossible for them to afford any kind of car before college.

I know UGA's Jake Fromm has some fixed up truck that he's had since he was in highschool. How many of these cars are from that time? Some kids come from money, like Fromm. Others don't.

Some kids also just like to pose in front of cool cars and act like they're theirs. Like that Mercedes G Wagon. If that kid got one of those in college then he's lost all sense. Those start at $122k.

Some of those pictures are really reaching. Some pictures of some very average looking college cars that look pretty busted up. Unless the original poster was assuming it's impossible for them to afford any kind of car before college.

I know UGA's Jake Fromm has some fixed up truck that he's had since he was in highschool. How many of these cars are from that time? Some kids come from money, like Fromm. Others don't.

Some kids also just like to pose in front of cool cars and act like they're theirs. Like that Mercedes G Wagon. If that kid got one of those in college then he's lost all sense. Those start at $122k.

There was an i8. Pretty sure those start at 150k at least.

The point was that USC got dinged partially because Reggie Bush was driving a mid 90s Impala in 2005 and was paid to leave school early while multiple Alabama players are STAYing in school and driving cars that's seem beyond the means of an unemployed college kid.

Regardless of what we think of USC as a whole it is obvious from a number of other cases (and Alabama doesn't even need to be included) that there was some obvious selective bias to punish USC while looking the other way on schools such as Miami or UNC.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The point was that USC got dinged partially because Reggie Bush was driving a mid 90s Impala in 2005 and was paid to leave school early while multiple Alabama players are STAYing in school and driving cars that's seem beyond the means of an unemployed college kid.

Regardless of what we think of USC as a whole it is obvious from a number of other cases (and Alabama doesn't even need to be included) that there was some obvious selective bias to punish USC while looking the other way on schools such as Miami or UNC.

ijMMcri.gif

Piggus

A family friend of ours who played on a major team that played in a recent national championship (no, not Oregon, though it probably happens there too) would sometimes be at a party when some rich booster's son would hand him a paper bag full of cash. This happens extremely often. He once called my cousin to say he'd be late hanging out because he had to pick up a new Mercedes that someone was "lending" him.

People who think college football players don't get paid are kidding themselves. At the very least, the top atheletes get paid all the time in one way or another.

A family friend of ours who played on a major team that played in a recent national championship (no, not Oregon, though it probably happens there too) would sometimes be at a party when some rich booster's son would hand him a paper bag full of cash. This happens extremely often. He once called my cousin to say he'd be late hanging out because he had to pick up a new Mercedes that someone was "lending" him.

People who think college football players don't get paid are kidding themselves. At the very least, the top atheletes get paid all the time in one way or another.

Is that where the term "bagman" comes from?

There was an i8. Pretty sure those start at 150k at least.

Oh my God. They're probably not even driving all of those lmao. Niggas love to pose in front of whips that ain't theirs.

It isn't even completely correct to say no college football players are allowed to be paid. Between scholarship refunds and the grants I'm sure a bunch of them qualify for, them having/leasing cars isn't out of the question. Especially when you've got a full ride and your parents don't have to pay tuition at all.

I'm not so naive as to think Alabama is 100% clean (few powerhouses are), but Jesus lmao. Eddie's posing in front of 3 different cars.

andycapps

Not denying there's not some bags of money being passed out or kids having expensive cars lended to them, just saying I think in a lot of those pictures that the kids were just posing in front of someone else's car. Think there's a good chance of that if you were able to see that picture and their coaches and compliance department didn't make them take it down.

Yes.

Popularized a few years ago by this article.

Ah great article. It's like the cartel for middle aged men that don't want to be real felons so instead of taking money they give it away to athletes they like. I'm surprised they keep sliding money to the kids after they already signed though. It's not like paying them once they're on campus will improve their on field performance.

Karl2177

Ah great article. It's like the cartel for middle aged men that don't want to be real felons so instead of taking money they give it away to athletes they like. I'm surprised they keep sliding money to the kids after they already signed though. It's not like paying them once they're on campus will improve their on field performance.
I think that's more of a "keep them quiet" payment.

That's my first time reading that article. Holy shit. I always knew people were getting paid, but I never realized how personal it all is

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised they keep sliding money to the kids after they already signed though. It's not like paying them once they're on campus will improve their on field performance.

A number of reasons, I'm sure.

• Helps to keep them from whistleblowing.
  • Helps to keep them from transferring.
  • Gives them good things to tell the next set of incoming recruits.

With cash only payments and contact done through "burner phones" theres really no paper trail if the kid tries to whistleblow, there would be no evidence.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

kids don't get most of the money before they sign... they get most of it when they are on campus

El_Chino

It's a top 20 class. Your expectations are way too high if a top 20 class puts your coach in the hot seat
The precedent has set expectations. It's a simple fact. If we start to feel okay with that kind of class then we're just okay with being mediocre with no wish of excelling.

It's a top 20 class. Your expectations are way too high if a top 20 class puts your coach in the hot seat

Looking through 247's composite rankings the last 3 years Florida hasn't had a class higher than 12, which would be their longest streak out non top 10 classes since 247 started tracking back in 2000.

Of course back in 2013 the Gatas had the number 3 ranked class and the only guys I remember from it are Vernon Heargraves and Keanu Neal.

Edit: It appears Demarcus Robinson (Chiefs), Trenton Brown (49ers), and Kelvin Taylor (49ers) all at least got to NFL rosters temporarily. There were also at least 3 guys who transferred.

The flip side is that Alabama's class that year makes up a big portion of their core from this past season, and Ohio State's class has 2 of the best rookies in the NFL this year, so yeah.

El_Chino

Looking through 247's composite rankings the last 3 years Florida hasn't had a class higher than 12, which would be their longest streak out non top 10 classes since 247 started tracking back in 2000.

Of course back in 2013 the Gatas had the number 3 ranked class and the only guys I remember from it are Vernon Heargraves and Keanu Neal.

Edit: It appears Demarcus Robinson (Chiefs), Trenton Brown (49ers), and Kelvin Taylor (49ers) all at least got to NFL rosters temporarily. There were also at least 3 guys who transferred.

The flip side is that Alabama's class that year makes up a big portion of their core from this past season, and Ohio State's class has 2 of the best rookies in the NFL this year, so yeah.

It's the University of Florida. Top 20's kinda the minimum he's allowed to get before serious questions need to be asked, FSU and Miami trending upward be damned.
You can't expect to beat FSU/Bama when you recruit considerably worse than them.

You can't expect to beat FSU/Bama when you recruit considerably worse than them.
You could always just change conferences. Texas' 2017 class is currently ranked #25 by 247, which sounds poor but that's still good enough for the 2nd best class in the Big 12. Our class would be ranked 9th in the SEC by comparison

andycapps

Florida should get a top 20 recruiting class by not even trying. There are so many recruits in the state. McElwain is doing an awful job of recruiting. We'll see if that starts to catch up with him this year. Hasn't been great at it since he got there.

Top 20 is fine, it also means your recruiting is worse than 1/2 of your conference.

andycapps

It was such a weird recruitment TBH. Goes from saying "fuck Michigan" to signing in 3 weeks.
That kid was a roller coaster ride. At some point I lost interest when it became apparent that he had no idea where he was going and changed his mind constantly. At least he can't do that anymore.

Have fun in Miami!

I really am surprised that Solomon committed.. from Fuck Michigan to joining.. weird.. but that's a good pick up for them and can help build up that defense immediately for them because they need it after that turnover..

So far.. I'm guessing Marvin Wilson is going to go to FSU. That is supposedly the word right now.

Top Bottom