• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

vid

That was just an example I see others repeat well... repeatedly. I'm seeing the same posts recently as I seen on Thanksgiving. Particularly the Tyrant Turkey one.

Yep, been seeing the exact same messages for weeks now. No idea how to get it "unstuck" or whatever.

ozfunghi

So, 60 hours into the game, is there any way to turn off, or lower the volume of the appalling "music"? This is one of the largest let downs of the game (coming from Xenoblade Wii). Apart from a few themes here and there (there is one in Noctilum and the Ennio Morricone wink in Oblivia is also nice) the music is utter crap. Especially the NLA themes are vomit inducing.

Also, is there a way to load a previous savegame without having to go to the title screen and restart the game?

And no, i don't want to read the frakkin' manual.

Murderess is just so hard to gain affinity. I already have maxed out Elma and Lin before Chapter 5, Doug and Irina before Chapter 7, Gwin and Hope Chapter 8, and just about everybody at 4 hearts before Chapter 11 including Celica but Murderess remains below 3 hearts, and she's already over the level of my main crew. Jeez if only I could give her cash to max out her affinity in an instant lol.

After you beat the game there are missions which let you boost affinity really quickly.

So, 60 hours into the game, is there any way to turn off, or lower the volume of the appalling "music"? This is one of the largest let downs of the game (coming from Xenoblade Wii). Apart from a few themes here and there (there is one in Noctilum and the Ennio Morricone wink in Oblivia is also nice) the music is utter crap. Especially the NLA themes are vomit inducing.

Mute the game when you're not in cutscenes?

If they're reacting to the music that violently, I'd think the cutscenes would be the worst place to keep the volume on. The dialogue is inaudible most of the time anyway.

I've noticed that with headphones its easier to hear the voices over the music than without, but the mixing during cutscenes is still poor either way.

JulianImp

Oh, here're a couple pictures I took earlier that shouldn't spoil anything:

We were so close to finally getting rid of Tatsu there. So close...

I think these clothes fit Elma's slightly asshole-ish personality perfectly (she sure loves when I teased people in conversations). She gets the to wear sunglasses on a night mission because her vision's augmented

And H.B. just can't stop excelling. I forgot I had given him the black suit ages ago, so it showing up on this cutscene was like a brick joke I sprung on myself!

And a possibly spoiler-ish image that I'll leave as a link just in case, with my skell team on their way to the final confrontation: http://i.imgur.com/8nUaAco.jpg

random25

I just got this game and made my way to chapter 3.The combat reminds me of an eastern take on KOTOR for the original Xbox. There really needs to be more games with this style of combat.

Any tips for a newbie?

Dunno if these help, since you might know a lot of these. Most for combat basics:

- Don't spam arts. Take advantage of double recast for twice the power/effect.

- Take advantage of the boosted effect of some arts. For example, if an art boosts damage when used at the side of the target, then go to the side first then use it. Not only it will grant bigger damage and additional effects like TP gain or debuffs, it will also trigger soul challenge more often.

- When soul challenge (B prompts) appear, time it properly as it will provide healing for the entire party. Plus if one of your teammate responds to your call, you and him/her will also get additional healing (plus some special effects like buffs and TP). It also boosts party morale, which can increase up to 3 bars (1 perfect/good soul challenge = 1 bar in morale). Morale boost makes soul challenge and soul voices appear more often, granting you more chances of healing and getting bonus effects especially when the battle gets lengthy.

- Reserve your TP. Use only when necessary or going for the kill. You might have dangerous encounters where you need TP for aura or for reviving allies. And of course you will need them later on for Overdrive after Chapter 5.

- Check your arts palette in the menu to mix and match your arts depending on your playstyle. Balanced ones usually put a good assortment of melee, ranged, buffs/heal, aura and debuffs/ether. Melee-centric puts a lot of melee arts plus aura and buffs to improve melee attacks/damage. Same for range-centric except more range arts than melee.

- Of course don't forget to level up your arts in the menu. Press X to level it up (consumes BP).

- Master first one Class branch before jumping to different class branches. For example, if you go first for longswords and assault rifles, then master that class branch all the way to Duelist. This enables you to use long swords and assault rifles in other classes when you are unfamiliar with other weapons forced to you on another class branch, plus use the associated arts for the type of weapon you use while you are still mastering other classes for new arts.

- Of course, don't forget to attach skills. Those are freebie buffs. And you can also level them up by pressing X.

- Use augments to your equipment for additional buffs. Press X to the equipment with a free slot to attach an augment.

- You can also play around with the arts palette and skills of your party members.

- Play around with the soul voice options in the menu too. This helps in having your teammates respond to your soul voices more often. For example, if you have a melee-centric party member, change your soul voice to command more melee arts. Of course it also works the opposite way, only that your party members cannot change the soul voice options, so it's the main character who have to adjust the arts palette.

- Press the R stick to lock-on to the target and its appendage. Would save you trouble later on when you go for certain item drops since you got to destroy certain body parts to let certain items be dropped after battle.

- Hold R button then press a direction on the d-pad to command your party members to do certain things. This helps your team be organized, especially in situations where things become chaotic. You can also press (+) then choose a command from the list.

- You can also jump and dash while in battle. This helps especially when chasing opponents when they go out of attack range or when you want to escape.

never had an NPC do such a 360 turn on me
from wanting her to slip off a mountain into a lava pit and die a painful death, to where is Mia chan now I miss her stupid attention seeking ass

-Horizon-

I tried going after that level 38 or so grex tyrant in primordia but those giant flying whales thought it'd be fun to crash the party and wreck all my mechs. I'm just glad I did the B prompt right and didn't waste insurance on it.

random25

After you beat the game there are missions which let you boost affinity really quickly.

Yeah. It's just that I would like to finish her affinity quest before the endgame like the rest of the cast. But if I got lazy then I'll just finish the game and just cheese my way to 100% completion at post-game.

I tried going after that level 38 or so grex tyrant in primordia but those giant flying whales thought it'd be fun to crash the party and wreck all my mechs. I'm just glad I did the B prompt right and didn't waste insurance on it.

wait a minute that's not a Lucina avatar you have there!

NeoRausch

I just realized my character laughs maniacally when she pilots the mech. I love it.

When mine goes in for a melee attack in the Skell she screams: "I KNOW KUNG FU!!"

I love it!

Edit:
Probs to 8-4 by the way! sad thing that the mixing of the audio levels is so bad.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh, here're a couple pictures I took earlier that shouldn't spoil anything:

We were so close to finally getting rid of Tatsu there. So close...

I think these clothes fit Elma's slightly asshole-ish personality perfectly (she sure loves when I teased people in conversations). She gets the to wear sunglasses on a night mission because her vision's augmented

And H.B. just can't stop excelling. I forgot I had given him the black suit ages ago, so it showing up on this cutscene was like a brick joke I sprung on myself!

And a possibly spoiler-ish image that I'll leave as a link just in case, with my skell team on their way to the final confrontation: http://i.imgur.com/8nUaAco.jpg

Amazing

vareon

Taking the Skell into flight, found a hole to get inside the beautiful Noctilucent Sphere, entered...

3204840swsw.gif

-Horizon-

When mine goes in for a melee attack in the Skell she screams: "I KNOW KUNG FU!!"

I love it!

Edit:
Probs to 8-4 by the way! sad thing that the mixing of the audio levels is so bad.
Channeling her inner Chie I see.

Taking the Skell into flight, found a hole to get inside the beautiful Noctilucent Sphere, entered...

3204840swsw.gif
The grampa Simpson gif is so applicable to the game as a whole lol.

Griss

Guys, I'm on the quest 'The Repair Job' and one of the objectives is to get 5 White Cometites 'using FronteirNav'.

Now, it looks to me like I have to put Mining Probes down in certain locations, and have found two locations that are supposed to give me White Cometities, but I can't figure out how to actually drill for them. I've placed the mining probe, but there's no further option to select an item to get. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also how do you revive allies using TP?

Renewed

Well I got around to finish up Normal Missions. Found one that
ends things for Run'tonam and holy fuck. I can tell exactly what they want me to do here. Leave things alone and carry along the message to tell of a fool's ambitions. Or kill the Telethia and show that they're the rulers of their own fates. Sooner than expected but I have to prepare my superboss killer set...

3204840swsw.gif

Only good things await all who take those ventures.

Daknight

Man, I lost so many skells thanks to monster suddenly ganging up on me when I attack only one that is alone...then suddenly 5 to 6 more aopear O_O

Loving the fighting in skell and then coming out to use arts and back to the skell. Time to explore and get some more probes to get money...those million dollars skells won't buy themselves!!

-Horizon-

Guys, I'm on the quest 'The Repair Job' and one of the objectives is to get 5 White Cometites 'using FronteirNav'.

Now, it looks to me like I have to put Mining Probes down in certain locations, and have found two locations that are supposed to give me White Cometities, but I can't figure out how to actually drill for them. I've placed the mining probe, but there's no further option to select an item to get. Any ideas?
Won't you get notifications on the left side of the screen when the probe automatically mines for those specific materials?

Regiruler

How are the crowns determined anyway? It can't be outright kills because then the intro tyrant should be crowned, so I was thinking it might be a deaths to kills ratio, but then the sneak fuck Go-rha should have a gold crown for how many idiots it kills (including me twice).

You need 3k TP to revive allies. It's a lot harder to do than in the original Xenoblade.

I've ended up just soloing instead since reviving them is really costly.

Kevinroc

Got the game for Christmas. Haven't gotten very far yet (nearing the end of Chapter 3). But I already think it is amazing.

Daknight

The materials are giving after certain time, just like the money and miriam. You just to wait to recieve the white cometities.

To revive and alley you stand on top of them and if you have enough TP(3000) and icon aopears saying 'Help Me' with the A prompt, pressing A revives them using the 3000 TP.

Griss

Won't you get notifications on the left side of the screen when the probe automatically mines for those specific materials?

Um, will you? I have no idea how it works. This is the first time I've placed a mining probe rather than a normal one. How long does it take? How can you check the progress? I still don't have any.

How are the crowns determined anyway? It can't be outright kills because then the intro tyrant should be crowned, so I was thinking it might be a deaths to kills ratio, but then the sneak fuck Guardian Deity should have a gold crown for how many idiots it kills (including me twice).

You need 3k TP to revive allies. It's a lot harder to do than in the original Xenoblade.

I've ended up just soloing instead since reviving them is really costly.

Ah, that would explain it. Thank you.

EDIT:
The materials are giving after certain time, just like the money and miriam. You just to wait to recieve the white cometities.

To revive and alley you stand on top of them and if you have enough TP(3000) and icon aopears saying 'Help Me' with the A prompt, pressing A revives them using the 3000 TP.

Thanks.

Daknight

Um, will you? I have no idea how it works. This is the first time I've placed a mining probe rather than a normal one. How long does it take? How can you check the progress? I still don't have any.

Ah, that would explain it. Thank you.

EDIT:

Thanks.

For progress, just check the mission that ask for thise materials and it would read 0/3 and go up (1/3) when you get one of the materials. It indicates you are missing two.

Also when you get the material it appeara on the right the information how many you have and how many are left. Also if is materials you pick up in the world they make a different sound.

Edit: Sorry meant left of the screen (same as when you pick objects)

Xenoboy

Soo one of my party members got my Skell destroyed and I had to pay for it. I thought they always succeeded in salvaging it.

-Horizon-

Soo one of my party members got my Skell destroyed and I had to pay for it. I thought they always succeeded in salvaging it.
Some people here told me your npcs lose the mech if it doesn't have insurance. Like you always need at least 1 insurance on the npcs mech.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Got the game for Christmas. Haven't gotten very far yet (nearing the end of Chapter 3). But I already think it is amazing.

The beginning is soooo slow. You're in for a treat.

I've been stalled post Chapter 10 for like 20 hours right now. There are so many normal and affinity missions popping up that it's great :)

JulianImp

3204840swsw.gif

I haven't found a way in there yet. Where's the entrance supposed to be?

Skells with zero insurance left will always have to pay for repairs, which is why you should hand them down once they reach 1 insurance instead.

Top Bottom