• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes (infamous rom hack / fan sequel) has leaked

LevityNYC

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Go to the robot in leene square, does it bug there?

Oh you must have the prepatched rom, the ips file isn't that big.

There is a patch? I'm confused.

The file you uploaded goes black right at the beginning.

jman2050

LevityNYC said:
There is a patch? I'm confused.

The file you uploaded goes black right at the beginning.

Looks like your CT rom needs to be headered for the patch to work.

The whole headered/non-headered nonsense with SNES roms remains extremely stupid and annoying even now.

LevityNYC

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Go to the robot in leene square, does it bug there?

Oh you must have the prepatched rom, the ips file isn't that big.

When I go there on mine, a tyrano head is there and it kicks your ass.

What else was patched?

LevityNYC said:
When I go there on mine, a tyrano head is there and it kicks your ass.

What else was patched?
Its basically a new game, just go to the castle and you'll see the game progress.

To get your chrono trigger rom to be headered just download NSRT by Nach.

I had no idea this excisted :eek: I've been reading about it now and there's also another one calles Flames of Eternity. So, which one should I play GAF? Crimson Echoes of Flames of Eternity?

Notorious_Roy said:
I had no idea this excisted :eek: I've been reading about it now and there's also another one calles Flames of Eternity. So, which one should I play GAF? Crimson Echoes of Flames of Eternity?
Flames of Eternity isn't really based on CT anymore, they diverged too far from it. Crimson Echoes looks pretty good so far, even has references to zSNES, Snes9x, DS and Chrono Trigger DS, so they sure know what the fans want.

Giard said:
I thought "leaking" meant released without the approval of the creators. This sounds more like they willingly released it on torrent sites.
It was leaked. This version isn't bug free and polished.

LevityNYC

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Can someone explain the entire process of getting this patch to work? Cheers.

From what I understand, the patch is a patch to the legit rom file. Something about putting the ROM file in the file with the patch to make a final file. Looks like a legal thing.

The ROM file looks like it includes the patch.

1. Download the ips file I linked. Do not link to a rom file.
2. Place the rom file and ips file in a single zip and load it up in your favourite emulator.

You need the original physical snes game if you want to legally own a rom file of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cool. What's this about "headered" files though?

And I own three copies of CT, so I don't feel too bad about playing a fan game version of it. Square has my monies!

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
Cool. What's this about "headered" files though?

SNES roms can be distributed in one of two primary forms. The first is a normal straight binary copy of the game's data. The second is a straight binary copy of the game but with 512 bytes of header data appended at the very start of the file. I'm not sure how it was years ago, but SNES rom headers are pretty much completely useless nowadays and serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The problem is that IPS patches rely on changing an existing set of data (this is why most sites have no problem with linking to IPS patches: they contain only changes to the original data, not the copyrighted data itself) and patches that are built off non-headered roms need to be applied on non-headered roms, same with headered. For many patches you pretty much have to guess whether the creator used a headered or non-headered rom, and whether you yourself have the rom that is needed, and if you don't you need to mess with the rom file yourself and it's really all just a mess.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
Ahh, yay for dead standards. So how do you tell if a file is headered or not?

Look at the file size. It's a bit annoying if you don't already know how many bytes various rom sizes should be but it's the only real useful method without having to use another program.

For example, a normal 32 Megabit rom like Chrono Trigger should have a file size of 4194304 bytes ($400000 in hex). The header always adds an extra 512 bytes to the file size, so a headered Chrono Trigger rom will have 4194816 bytes instead. I know in Windows XP this will show up at 4096 KB and 4097 KB respectively in the Explorer window, making it easy to eyeball, but I'm not sure if that's the case in Vista, Mac, etc.

jman2050 said:
SNES roms can be distributed in one of two primary forms. The first is a normal straight binary copy of the game's data. The second is a straight binary copy of the game but with 512 bytes of header data appended at the very start of the file. I'm not sure how it was years ago, but SNES rom headers are pretty much completely useless nowadays and serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

The problem is that IPS patches rely on changing an existing set of data (this is why most sites have no problem with linking to IPS patches: they contain only changes to the original data, not the copyrighted data itself) and patches that are built off non-headered roms need to be applied on non-headered roms, same with headered. For many patches you pretty much have to guess whether the creator used a headered or non-headered rom, and whether you yourself have the rom that is needed, and if you don't you need to mess with the rom file yourself and it's really all just a mess.
There is a use for headered roms. The zSNES team are trying to add a new header system which tells the emulator how to run the rom exactly, eg. special inputs and such. There's a few neat ideas they have for it but what it is exactly escapes me at the moment.

NeoUltima

Wasn't working for me on Zsnes. Kept getting a black screen after the 'copyright' scene at the beginning. Switched over to snes9x and it seems to be working now.
Just a heads up in case anyone was having the same problem.

NeoUltima said:
Wasn't working for me on Zsnes. Kept getting a black screen after the 'copyright' scene at the beginning. Switched over to snes9x and it seems to be working now.
Just a heads up in case anyone was having the same problem.
I'm using ZSNES and didn't have any problems at all so far.

Vamphuntr

I hope someone is going to describe the inevitable sex scene inserted in the game to make the game "more serious and deep". This is the same as those guys doing Mother 4.

linkboy

Anyone try this on Snes9x on the PSP. I've had some issues with it running patched roms in the past (BS Zelda being a good example).

linkboy said:
Anyone try this on Snes9x on the PSP. I've had some issues with it running patched roms in the past (BS Zelda being a good example).
I just tried it out (on Wii, not on PSP) and one of the NPCs told me that the game should be played with ZSNES because it will crash at a certain point if you use SNES9x. The PSP port of SNES9X struggles with Chrono Trigger anyway, so it's not like playing this on PSP would have been a viable option.

nincompoop said:
I just tried it out (on Wii, not on PSP) and one of the NPCs told me that the game should be played with ZSNES because it will crash at a certain point if you use SNES9x. The PSP port of SNES9X struggles with Chrono Trigger anyway, so it's not like playing this on PSP would have been a viable option.
No it says to update to the latest of either emulators and that it'll crash if they're old versions of either one.

BishopLamont said:
No it says to update to the latest of either emulators and that it'll crash if they're old versions of either one.
The exact quote on mine is "Hey, it's you again! I remember you from five years ago. Playing this on ZSNES? What? You'd better be! If you're using SNES9x or an early version of ZSNES, the game will inevitably glitch at some point. Don't blame me! Go grab the latest version at http://www.zsnes.com. It's free." Did more than one patch get leaked?
EDIT - Yeah, looks like there was an alpha version leaked a while back. Guess I got stuck with the wrong version.

LevityNYC said:
I think they have to. If not, you are going to see fan projects sprouting up left and right.

FFVI-2 anyone?
There are a friggin' jillion hacked games made out of NES and SNES Final Fantasy.

Trojita said:
This was an early copy and not the nearly finished 98% version?

Lame.
No the one linked to in this thread should be the complete version. I downloaded a patch this morning before the link was posted here but I guess I accidentally downloaded an old version.

angelfly

LakeEarth said:
Why do people insist to make "sequels" to games that aren't theirs. Why can't they make games "inspired" by them, its not like I'm dying to find out what happened to my characters after I saved the world. I think the 12 endings pretty much covered it.
Same reason people write fan fiction.

I tried out the patch linked to in this thread and I'm still getting the "Don't use SNES9x" warning, on both Wii and PC. What is the message supposed to say?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
nincompoop said:
No the one linked to in this thread should be the complete version. I downloaded a patch this morning before the link was posted here but I guess I accidentally downloaded an old version.

Sweet then. Unfortunately I think I just spoiled myself by seeing the character graphics of the enemies on the Crimson Echoes website.

LevityNYC

Banned
nincompoop said:
I tried out the patch linked to in this thread and I'm still getting the "Don't use SNES9x" warning, on both Wii and PC. What is the message supposed to say?
Im using SNES9x for mac. No issues so far

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fired it up to check if it worked. The music is enough to draw me in, even if the game opens exactly the same way as the "real" game.

Top Bottom