• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation devices mysteriously deactivated. Sony support cannot help. Help GAF

geordiemp

GAF

I have 2 Ps4 and 2 Ps3. All listed as my devices. We have 1 ps4 set as primary console, one as guest.

Now, yesterday apparently all my consoles were deactivated. I did not do this. There is a Ps4 now activated as my primary console (but I do not own this console).

I dont know what to do, I have 2 Ps4's in the house and I cannot activate either as a primary.

I cannot deactivate all my consoles as they have already been deactivated on the PSN account page and it no longer gives me the option.

I contacted PSN support twice, and they say I have to wait 6 months, and that they seem to think I have given my PSN details to another PS4. I am claiming this must be account fraud.

However, PSN support say as this mystery Ps4 has made some free purchases (PS+ downloads) on my account then they dont believe me and say it is my doing. I ahve argued with the guy for hours, he will not let me speak to someone else and I cannot deactivate this unknown Ps4.

Help GAF, I am going nuts. PSN service is the rudest and most non-compliant and unhelpful support I have ever seen. I am the account holder and they will not help me and terminated the phone call. Unbelievable.

They seriously terminated the phone call? Wow.

Just in case someone does have access to your account, did you remove your credit card from your account?

Kirye

Call again and try to get someone else to help. Maybe try and escalate it to a manager or something?

Your account was definitely hacked, not sure how they can't see that.

@Hoje: You're allowed to deactivate all of your consoles at once every six months. In case you sell a console and forget to unregister it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
You don't have a CC linked to your account, do you? Kill it if you haven't already.

If you get nowhere, go to the Better Business Bureau. That was how a lot of folks got some licensing issues fixed after months of dealing with support.

geordiemp

Call again and try to get someone else to help. Maybe try and escalate it to a manager or something?

Your account was definitely hacked, not sure how they can't see that.

Yeas I have changed the password. No he would not pass on the call and said their decision is final.

So someone can hack you like this, set up your primary console on their ps4 and eactivate all your stuff and you are done.

Found this on reddit, I am not alone

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2slg4z/issues_with_deactivatingactivating_primary/

Why would you have to wait six months?

And they have done it to me, i have to wait 6 months !

MrS

Banned
sorry to hear this OP. Sony have let you down here. Hope you can get it resolved and definitely log in to the website and remove your card deets.

Rapstah

So you have to wait six months between deactivating consoles and the guy is telling you you have to wait six months because the account thief phoned in yesterday and asked them to deactivate all of your consoles, basically.

If you can still login to your PSN account on your pc or phone, delete your credit card info as soon as you can if you have it in there.
Good luck.

kamineko

Yeas I have changed the password. No he would not pass on the call and said their decision is final.

So someone can hack you like this, set up your primary console on their ps4 and eactivate all your stuff and you are done.

Found this on reddit, I am not alone

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2slg4z/issues_with_deactivatingactivating_primary/

And they have done it to me, i have to wait 6 months !

Seriously, though. Document everything, make another few attempts, and then file with the BBB. The complaint goes to their corporate relations department, which, surprise surprise, cares more than their support team

Or, more likely, is just more empowered than their support team

Long story (no need to read it all). note the amount of time overall, and speed to solution once BBB gets engaged (last few pages)
http://community.us.playstation.com...-2-Pre-Order-Throwback-Maps-not/td-p/45000095

krae_man

So you have to wait six months between deactivating consoles and the guy is telling you you have to wait six months because the account thief phoned in yesterday and asked them to deactivate all of your consoles, basically.

More like Sony doesn't believe it was the result of account theft. They believe OP shared his login details and said person screwed him so they are saying "It's your own fault so you're on your own".

Stacey

Banned
Phoning Sony UK and trying to deactivate a console is a pain in the arse, they asked my name, d.o.b, purchases etc......

OP did you ever give anyone your account details or even a partial one?

geordiemp

Seriously, though. Document everything, make another few attempts, and then file with the BBB. The complaint goes to their corporate relations department, which, surprise surprise, cares more than their support team

Or, more likely, is just more empowered than their support team

Who is the BBB ?

By the way, I found I am not alone...same as author in the six axis article.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/02/04/sony-security-why-i-dont-trust-the-digital-only-future/

Phoning Sony UK and trying to deactivate a console is a pain in the arse, they asked my name, d.o.b, purchases etc......

They refused to deactivate this console that I do not own and tried to insinuate that I do know about it as it had some free purchases a few months ago on my account.

I dont get it, what is my motivation...I have 2 Ps4, 2 Ps3, 2 cameras, 1 VITA and more purchases than I can recall - I am hardly a penny pinching customer.

I have allot of digital purchases....mmm - ripe for fraud

OP did you ever give anyone your account details or even a partial one?

Of course not, but now I have a new password and made sure my CC details are deleted and password authorise for all purchases

I agree with everyone on the changing passwords and deleting the account credit card info

Sorry to play devils advocate but people do give out their account info so others can get free psn games. It happens it's why they have the 6 month rule. Best protect your finances first by changing the passwords and info and then worry about getting your stuff back second.

Get that other ps4 you don't know about deactivated and then try and get somewhere with all you accounts removed from systems as more evidence that this wasn't exactly your doing and that fraud was happening.

Personally I'd find it hard to believe as a phone operator that this was an issue for you while a brand new system is active and none of your account info was changed. Again playing devils advocate

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
More like Sony doesn't believe it was the result of account theft. They believe OP shared his login details and said person screwed him so they are saying "It's your own fault so you're on your own".
Which would be fine if Playstation had state of the art account security systems in place.

But because they do not and are way behind companies like Google they should err on the side of always helping everyone as much as they can.

Call again, be persistent, mention two-step verification and #BetterPSN and tell them you will go to NeoGAF or Reddit. Honestly, that stuff can work.

Couple of questions:

Did you share your account with someone else? Can you contact this person? Do you think they stole your account?

I am thinking maybe you had your PS3 login somewhere else maybe? A friend's house, or account shared way back in the day?

kamineko

He's British, we don't have a BBB. We have Trading Standards, and Watchdog when companies take the piss.

EDIT:
OP, deactivate any cards you have associated with your account soon as.

Ah. Well, perhaps these entities can be equally helpful? Bottom line is that asking for help, anecdotally, seems to be the least effective way to get account support from Sony

EDIT: I used to buy a lot of digital, but I stopped after it took several months to fix my licenses after a bad download broke them. Totally eye opening and disturbing

krae_man

If I had to guess, I'd say OP did PS3 game sharing back in the day and the person he game shared with just got a PS4 and screwed him over.

Cbajd5

did you try filing a police report

But seriously, make sure you take your credit cards off your account. No idea what else you can do other than being persistent in calling back until someone helps you.

redcrayon

The most important thing: Immediately change your password via the SEN website to keep control of the account before they do it to you, just in case they have your password rather than have hacked it.

Change the password on your linked email address too, and delete any credit card info. That way at least they won't be able to get any more free games, and the worst case scenario is that in six months time you'll have everything back when you brick their device in return, rather than nothing.

Log all conversations with support, get full names for everyone you speak to.
Log all downloads that you didn't make- games, prices, times, dates. Check it every few days and make sure.

Have you ever traded in any playstation consoles without unregistering them, or 'shared' an account with anyone else?

Weevilone

I sympathize with you OP. Playstation support has always been fucking awful when I need help on something.

Agreed, it makes all these Sony complaint threads so believable if you've tried to use their support yourself. It's arrogant and useless in my experience.

Damn, what a nightmare, if that happened to me I'd be screwed with my 2 fake foreign accounts ;(

Hope you'll get your games back!!

Sorral

Need two-way verification to be implemented already.

As annoying as it might be, I'd say keep calling until you can get someone who listens.

MCN

Banned
I love how Sony immediately jump to the conclusion that you, the paying customer, are a criminal, especially given their own history of having paper-thin security. Also, that customer service agent sounds like a twat. If I spoke to a customer that way I wouldn't have a job.

RedAssedApe

Banned
still surprised that sony hasn't implemented 2fa after the hacks on their servers and the heartbleed exploit from awhile back

I love how Sony immediately jump to the conclusion that you, the paying customer, are a criminal, especially given their own history of having paper-thin security. Also, that customer service agent sounds like a twat. If I spoke to a customer that way I wouldn't have a job.

Based on stories around here and the Internet it seems like Sony support staff are encouraged to antagonize customers

vypek

If OP changes the passwords on his account then that should at least stop the person from being able to use his account and free games, right? This is assuming that he is unsuccessful in being able to get the deactivation reversed.

What are the exact benefits of having the console set as primary? Its playing certain stuff online and shared games on one console, right? So if the password changes then the thief will at least be locked out until OP can get the deactivation stuff set straight, no?

The security really needs to be improved. I'm worried at the idea of having my account stolen.

You must change your password now and change your CC details.
ring trading standards and keep ringing sony until you get someone who is not a chundering fuckwit.

geordiemp

If I had to guess, I'd say OP did PS3 game sharing back in the day and the person he game shared with just got a PS4 and screwed him over.

Miles away my friend....I have way enough money and I dont share games...

I buy them digitally at UK prices and just dont care - they can see that on my account....I am hardly Mr price concious.

Also I rarely played on our Ps3's as we moved to 2 x 360....yeah hard up man.

Top Bottom