• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 - New Tech & Design Video Coming Tomorrow - 03/15

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Someone with industry contacts needs to get on the task of getting confirmation if Max Payne 3 for PC will have gamepad support.

I need to schedule my vacation and there is a difference of 2 weeks depending on the answer. ;-)

Nibel

Was this posted?

Rockstar promises: Max Payne 3 PC is not a port

The PC version of Max Payne 3 supports DirectX 11 features and 3D functionality, developer Rockstar has revealed.

An official fact sheet, as picked up by Videogamer, states that the PC SKU "is not a port" of the console version and has been built to "run beautifully straight out of the box".
"We're proud to say that Max Payne 3 will support DirectX 11 features including tessellation,"
read Rockstar's blurb.

"This means a higher frame rate, greater visual fidelity, precision mouse and keyboard controls, a full suite of customisable visual and control settings, and optional 3D functionality for an even greater sense of immersion."

Those with less powerful desktops should also be able to enjoy the game, with Rockstar promising it will run on a "a vast range of hardware configurations".

There's a batch of new PC screens to go along with the announcement below.
The PC version of the keenly anticipated action sequel is expected on shelves from 1st June - that's a couple of weeks after it launches on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Source

DX11 be damned, I just want to bump up the resolution, texture quality and AA and shootdodge my way through the game at a nice stable frame rate. Sounds like Rockstar is putting some effort into the PC version, but we'll wait and see.

Someone with industry contacts needs to get on the task of getting confirmation if Max Payne 3 for PC will have gamepad support.

I need to schedule my vacation and there is a difference of 2 weeks depending on the answer. ;-)

No gamepad = no buy for me as well. Notice in the above PR they say "precision mouse and keyboard controls", focusing on that aspect. I can't imagine they'd be dumb enough to not have 360 controller support.

Simo

No gamepad = no buy for me as well. Notice in the above PR they say "precision mouse and keyboard controls", focusing on that aspect. I can't imagine they'd be dumb enough to not have 360 controller support.

It does have gamepad support, Rockstar said so themselves on the comments section of the official site:
@KAIZER_SOSA Rest assured, Max Payne 3 for PC features controller support alongside the full suite of mouse and keyboard controls.
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-the-pc-version-of-max-payne-3.html/#comments

Another weapons profile video for Max Payne 3, this time focusing on SMGs:

Video at the link below, five different SMGs shown:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-3-submachine-guns-new-video-screens-360.html

Our latest feature on the weaponry from Max Payne 3's devastating arsenal highlights the submachine guns (SMGs) - lightweight automatic weapons that can hose their targets with bullets within seconds. With the weightlessness of a pistol and the rapid-fire rate of a much bulkier machine gun, these spray and slay weapons make short work of enemies at close quarters as the holder maintains slick maneuverability throughout.

You can dual-wield the lighter SMG models such as the M10 and the Micro 9mm to let these slug slingers take out opponents in double-time. Prefer a little more kick in your SMG? Then pick up the heavier SAF .40 with two hands and rip through the armor of your foes.

Explore the video above to see more of the SMGs unrivaled speed, mid-range accuracy and surprisingly powerful punch in action, along with detailed 360-degree renders that show off all of its individually modeled components and a selection of new screenshots.

You can wield two MP5s?

maxpayne3-weapon-smgs-03-640.jpg

maxpayne3-weapon-smgs-02-640.jpg

maxpayne3-weapon-smgs-01-640.jpg

22 seconds into that video clip, it says 'MPK - Damn reliable'. Sounds like weapons can jam?

Ha, doubt it.

It's just like saying "Old faithful" or "A beauty of a gun". Just a way of saying good all-round gun. Weapons jamming in MP3 would be counter-intuitive to the whole way the shooting system seems to be structured. The MPK is just a really reliable gun at killing people.

Arcteryx

Well shit. I had written this off, but the latest videos/interviews are starting to win me over.

Plus, the MP looks decent, especially the customization options.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm more curious to see if the PS3 is a sub-HD port, considering that RDR and GTA4 were somewhat cut down.

It probably will be. They haven't said a word about the PS3 version and it's the only one they haven't shown. I'd love to be wrong though since I'll be playing it on PS3.

Simo

OH YEAH!
Newswire_multiplayer_video_part_one.jpg

Coming next week - the first of a special two-part series of videos unveiling Max Payne 3 Multiplayer.

Prepare for your first glimpse of the game's multiplayer in action with in-depth detail on unique features and modes like Gang Wars, Payne Killer, and the debut of Bullet Time® online...

Look for the video to premiere at the Rockstar Newswire as well as the Max Payne 3 official site. We will announce the specific day and time sometime early next week.

I didnt know they even talked about customization or about MP alot, where did you get that info?

They've actually done some interviews and features with print mags about multiplayer. I posted some of an OXM issue a couple months ago that I'll repost here:
I just got the new issue of OXM UK that talks all about multiplayer and their hands-on with Gang Mode. The gist of the info is similar to IGN's first article but a couple of bullet points that I found interesting...
  • You have 5 custom class slots similar to Call of Duty which you can customize with 2 one-handed weapons and a 1 two-handed.
  • In addition to weapons you also get 5 equipment slots with 2 being for armour: Equip your guy with kevlar from head to toe and he'll take less damage but also the weight will slow him down and also slow down health regeneration. The other 3 equipment slots are for accessories, example being you can equip a walkie talkie which helps to briefly mark enemies on the radar when team mates spot them or a suture that gives a small boost to health regeneration.
  • If you're killed twice by the same enemy team mate you can initiate a vendetta that marks them on the radar until you kill or are killed by the player you mark for vendetta and killing them rewards you with an XP bonus. The downside is that the enemy player is also notified when a vendetta is made and can claim the XP bonus when they kill you.
  • You can loot enemy player corpses after you kill them like RDR to receive an XP bonus called "salt in the wound" along with grabbing a mixture of Adrenaline, ammo or painkillers. Painkillers can only be obtained by looting bodies some often the risk of looting is worth it.

16 Bursts will be available, each with 3 levels and OXM had a chance to mess with 5 of them which were the following:
  • Bullet Time - Activates when you have an enemy in your line of sight or you're caught in an enemies line of sight that turns everything in to a red hue and can be avoided by shoot dodging or breaking sight behind cover. Gaining enough Adrenaline to max out Bullet-Time will give you enough juice to hit an entire team in Bullet-Time.
  • Paranoia - Turns all opposing player's gamertags to red so the enemy team won't know friend from foe. Higher levels of the burst can even allow you convince opposing players to betray their team.
  • Intuition - Offers vague intel at first but fill the other 2 or 3 Burst meters and you're able to boost your hearing of enemy footsteps or see all enemies in the game as silhouettes even behind cover.
  • Sneaky - First level turns your gamertag to be green as the opposing team sees it but one look at your armour or clothing and you're a giveaway. The other levels of the Burst help fix this changing your look to match that of an opposing player and fooling the team.
  • Trigger Happy - A Burst for quick and deadly firepower. Level 1 gives you armour piercing rounds, level 2 will give you a machine gun and level 3 gives you a grenade launcher.

Definitely hyped for MP after reading the article though, and yeah they do mention that MP right now is more akin to RDR and GTAIV than other TPS and comparing it to say a "triple-refined precision of Gears of War 3, and the comparison isn't always as kind as you may like", but the article overall was very positive.

Fjordson

Glad we're getting some MP info. I honestly think it'll be surprisingly fun. I remember being pretty skeptical of GTA IV's multiplayer before I ended up playing it a ton.

kaskade

I haven't bought any games so far this year. I'm really excited for this game though. Every single video gets me more excited. It comes out when the semester is over so I think I'll be treating myself.

Simo

Glad we're getting some MP info. I honestly think it'll be surprisingly fun. I remember being pretty skeptical of GTA IV's multiplayer before I ended up playing it a ton.

I've got a whole group of friends who mainly interested in MP3 just for the multiplayer so the Crew thing is going to work great. Can't wait though, we still all play RDR online every week even though that's mostly just free roam.

dreamfall

I'm so excited about the multiplayer video. I've got so much faith single player will be more than grand, but the announcement of crews and vendettas against others leading into GTA V makes me shake in anticipation. This game. So good. So sooooon!

New shot, I think

maxpayne3_pressrecap_032112.jpg

Plus, a new pre-order bonus:

maxpayne3_pillbottleitem_000.jpg

Anyone that pre-orders Max Payne 3 from the retailers below by April 15th will get early access at game launch to the Pill Bottle - a multiplayer Loadout item which allows you to carry more health-reviving painkillers as you fight. This item provides you with the capacity to carry extra painkillers – helping you survive longer amidst the killing fields of online multiplayer.

In Max Payne 3 multiplayer, you can equip your character with up to five unique Items that boost your attributes to help you stay alive in online matches. We'll be revealing more of these soon, but for now you can guarantee early access to the life-saving Pill Bottle by pre-ordering by April 15th from any of the retailers listed below (the Pill Bottle will be made available to the general public at some point after game launch). Stay tuned for more retail partners that may be added here soon.

North America:
GameStop (US) | Amazon (US) | Amazon (CA) | Best Buy (US) | EB Games (CA)

Europe:
HMV (UK) | Play.com (UK) | GameStop (UK) | Zavvi (UK) | GameStop (IE) | Bol.com (BE)

*For everyone in France, you can get this item when you pre-order from Auchan (FR) through launch.

I pre-ordered from EB. I assume it means I get this and the cemetery map?

legbone

Thread needs to be made about replaying the first two games in anticipation of 3.

yep, i'm replaying the first one right now on games on demand on my 360. hopefully i will get through both by the time 3 releases. knowing me, i doubt it.

p.s. you have excellent taste in music judging by your avatar. love that album. someone stole it from my collection.

edit: nevermind, seems they reissued it. i used to have trouble finding it. now it's like 8 bucks on amazon. rejoice!

yep, i'm replaying the first one right now on games on demand on my 360. hopefully i will get through both by the time 3 releases. knowing me, i doubt it.

p.s. you have excellent taste in music judging by your avatar. love that album. someone stole it from my collection.

edit: nevermind, seems they reissued it. i used to have trouble finding it. now it's like 8 bucks on amazon. rejoice!

Thanks man. No one recognizes my icon. You're the first. If you like 90's grunge supergroups like that, you should check out Army of Anyone. Richard Patrick of Filter with the guys from STP.

Luckily I still have hard copies of the OG Xbox versions of MP 1 & 2 and thank goodness theyre BC. I probably won't hit them up until the beginning of May though.

Loxley

Oh snap I totally forgot that the first multiplayer vid is hitting this week...really excited to see it in action.

Rockstar's got a nice surprise today...

jamesmccaffrey_soundbooth.jpg

Photo: James McCaffrey in the Booth at Rockstar

Taken Friday, March 9th 2012 here at our NYC recording studio.

Voicing some last bits of pick-up dialogue for Max Payne 3 as everything gets polished off for this May's release...

Stay tuned for some interviews with Mr. McCaffrey hitting soon.

Fjordson

Wow, that's awesome.

I want a poster of that finished Max panel in the middle. Already looks bad ass from what you can see there.

But will the retail release be Steamworks enabled? That's the other big question.

Unfortunately, if L.A. Noire is any indication, it won't...

Only problem with the ad is people may have no idea it's about Max Payne 3. The last game was a long time ago. I'd have no clue unless I was following the game very closely.

Top Bottom