• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Hey, what about sports logos?

Secret "H" in Whalers logo:

homegrownsportinggoods_1856_3144824

Wild logo - Forest scene or wild beast?

minnesota_wild_2001.gif

john tv

I actually have an image of this on my other PC, but I'm lazy, so for now, text explanation only. Many of you should know this already (I hope), but in the original Zelda, the dungeon maps for Levels 1-8 interlock with each other to form one big...well, rectangle. It's not a coincidence, though -- when you put the images together, it becomes very obvious it was designed this way intentionally.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
john tv said:
I actually have an image of this on my other PC, but I'm lazy, so for now, text explanation only. Many of you should know this already (I hope), but in the original Zelda, the dungeon maps for Levels 1-8 interlock with each other to form one big...well, rectangle. It's not a coincidence, though -- when you put the images together, it becomes very obvious it was designed this way intentionally.

This ?

tnw

Banned
I was pretty surpised about the doki doki panic/smb2 thing. I still like the game a lot though. Didn't learn about that until reading wikipedia.

Another wikipedia moment was learning that 'Ogre Battle' and 'March of the Black Queen' are both names of Queen songs. Japanese people have the shittiest taste in music ever.

I also remember when a japanese exchange student who was staying at a friend's house told me back in the early 90's about the final fantasies that weren't realesed in the US.

bluemax

Banned
john tv said:

Woah, my mind is blown. But it does make sense.

Haunted

Kandrick said:
Why the fuck is one of the temples a swastika?

edit: so late, it's not even funny.

tnw said:
Another wikipedia moment was learning that 'Ogre Battle' and 'March of the Black Queen' are both names of Queen songs. Japanese people have the shittiest taste in music ever.
*narrows eyes*

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Haunted One said:
Why the fuck is one of the temples a swastika?

edit: so late, it's not even funny.
It's the symbol for the wheel of life or something in Japanese. At least that's the PR. The real reason is that Nintendo are actually a secret society of Nazis who use games to brainwash us all.

Link

The Autumn Wind
RurouniZel said:
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head was that Capcom went thorough 3 nearly completed versions of Resident Evil 4 before landing on the final version.

The original original trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/91577.html

Next one

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/86112.html

Early gameplay

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/7188.html

Final

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/4202.html
You're forgetting the very first version, which became Devil May Cry. Also, the "gun juggling" in DMC was born from a glitch found in Onimusha during development.

Jag22

Banned
Gordon Freeman's original design.

untitled23454326ux.jpg

His name was also somewhat different.

Gordon was originally called "Ivan the spacebiker".

Haunted

Crushed said:
It's a manji.
萬字! Arigatou, Crushed-san
you fucking smartass.

ggnoobIGN said:
It's the symbol for the wheel of life or something in Japanese. At least that's the PR. The real reason is that Nintendo are actually a secret society of Nazis who use games to brainwash us all.
yeah, I just read up on it. Weird how the shape immediately sprang out to me. Must be all that conditioning etc.

The dungeons fitting together is likely just a clever way of storing data on the NES, where they only have to pull data from one big map instead of multiple ones.

It's a manji.
This. Though, it is still likely to be censored if it appeared in a more obvious form somewhere.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Not as mind-blowing as the dungeon quilt, but five of the second quest dungeons from the game spell out (albeit out of order) Zelda:

zelda2.jpg

KittenMaster said:
The dungeons fitting together is likely just a clever way of storing data on the NES, where they only have to pull data from one big map instead of multiple ones.

Likely, but the Second Quest doesn't follow that, and if it was necessary then those would be too. So it may have just been an optimization, not a requirement.

Lobster

Banned
Jag22 said:
Gordon Freeman's original design.

untitled23454326ux.jpg

His name was also somewhat different.

Gordon was originally called "Ivan the spacebiker".

Let us take a moment the thank the lord that this design was not final.

ggnoobIGN said:

The swastika has been around for thousands of years and has a wide variety of meanings depending on which religion or ancient culture you're talking about.

Haunted

Stitch said:
Ragnarok Online
Morroc Pyramid Dungeon 3rd Floor Map
Now that's just lazy.

Charron said:
Not as mind-blowing as the dungeon quilt, but five of the second quest dungeons from the game spell out (albeit out of order) Zelda:
Not mindblowing, but very cool nonetheless.

SDZeta said:
Goombas are just mushrooms with eyes and feet? Not sure, just tried to find something else with SMB.

goomba.png

Eh, it's not really the same thing. Goombas and mushrooms may have similar appearances, but they're actually different sprites. The bushes are literally the same sprite as the clouds, just with a palette swap.

tnw said:
I was pretty surpised about the doki doki panic/smb2 thing. I still like the game a lot though. Didn't learn about that until reading wikipedia.

I will beat you with a newspaper until you cease to be.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seriously, though guys. Is the cloud/bush thing that big a deal? I mean it's not that surprising assets would be reused during those times.

If you're impressed with that, Olimar is supposed to be Mario spelled backwards.

Humba Wumba The Shaman, and JamJars the Mole are mentioned during the end quiz in the original Banjo-Kazooie.

Banjo-Kazooie was called "Dream" at first, with the lead character being a kid named Edison. Edison who was chased by a pirate named "Captain Blackbeard." You can find an atrocious picture of Blackbeard in the first game inside Mad Monster Mansion, but he also makes an appearance as a drunk in Banjo-Tooie.

bjork

Guybrush Threepwood said:
If I had three wishes, I would wish for:

1. The inability to see the FedEx arrow thing
2. The inability to see the Mario cloudbushes thing
3. The inability to ever see something unseeable ever again or see anything that is currently unseeable.

Oh, and speaking of unseeable things, have you guys ever noticed Mr. Mimal? He's the chef in the United States map.

united-states-map.jpg

Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana

Or CANT along the border. Maybe a statement on building a border fence?

tnw

Banned
ggnoobIGN said:
3c6545d593c2d963f11744a8a94c309a.jpg

Nintendo is teh Nazi

Notice that they are 'spinning' in a different direction. They use it on maps in Japan to designate the location of a Buddhist temple

20226329.JPG

Top Bottom