• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrikaWrek

Banned
InterMoniker said:
I'm willing to bet the opposite it won't be a MASSIVE AMOUNT. It it'll be the SAME AMOUNT of audio from the last-gen GTA games.

Uhhhh I don't know how it could be that much more then last-gen. Everything is higher quality for HD audio and High res textures.

And it's gotta fit on a dvd what a shame. Hopefully they put more audio in the ps3 version.

WELCOME TO NEXT-GEN.

You poor thing.

Hey, you can always compensate the music thing with custom soundtracks. Right?

newsguy

Guled said:
MGS4, SSBB say hell no

As far as ambition goes, I will give you MGS4. Only fanbase will help SSBB get the GOTY nod, but I don't put it anywhere in the league of the other 2 games as far as ambition and overall badassedness go.

FFChris

InterMoniker said:
I just wish R* would put blu-ray to good use and put 4x the music and a bunch more pedestrian lines. I love all the random stuff the pedestrians yell out and having a lot more of that would be great.

That would be fuckin awesome. But I bet they're forced to make it the same on ps3 and can't put more audio in the ps3 version.

IMO blu-ray has been underutilized by pretty much all third party devs and this would be the perfect game to thrown in a bunch of extra audio like more pedestrian lines and music.

/Rant

You know how time and money are both used as to make a game? Yea, that's the reason games don't get 4x the audio with 4x the space. Ever wonder why Uncharted, HS or Motorstorm aren't 4x the size of a 'normal' 7GB game? Time and money. Nothing to do with other consoles limiting the game.

Seriously, the conspiricy theories surrounding this game just make people look stupid.

FFChris said:
You know how time and money are both used as to make a game? Yea, that's the reason games don't get 4x the audio with 4x the space. Ever wonder why Uncharted, HS or Motorstorm aren't 4x the size of a 'normal' 7GB game? Time and money. Nothing to do with other consoles limiting the game.

Seriously, the conspiricy theories surrounding this game just make people look stupid.
It's not a conspiracy theory I just wish they would fill up the disc a little more. I understand the time and money issues.

FFChris said:

Erm... Uncharted filled a 25GB disc. Mostly with audio stuff.

FFChris

InterMoniker said:
It's not a conspiracy theory I just wish they would fill up the disc a little more. I understand the time and money issues.

If you understand time and money issues, then you'll understand why they can't fill up 40GB of space with audio.

Halo 3 has almost 40,000 lines of NPC dialogue. On a single DVD-9.

Metalmurphy said:
Erm... Uncharted filled a 25GB disc. Mostly with audio stuff.

There's a difference between large, uncompressed audio files and lots of audio files. Uncharted will have the former. Again, look at the Halo 3 argument.

Anyway, lets not derail this thread anymore.

WrikaWrek said:
Of course it has custom soundtracks. If? It's a default feature of every game.
***rolls eyes***

Didn't you hear me talking about the ps3 version? Ps3 doesn't have custom tracks in every game.

Guled

newsguy said:
As far as ambition goes, I will give you MGS4. Only fanbase will help SSBB get the GOTY nod, but I don't put it anywhere in the league of the other 2 games as far as ambition and overall badassedness go.
Last I checked, Snake was playable in Brawl. That alone raises up the badassedness bar.

GenericPseudonym said:
No, MGS4 will probably be great but it won't be in the same league as SSBB and GTA IV in sales.
Who cares about sales. In that case Wii play (or wii fit) will be the game of the year.

Don't get me wrong, GTA will be an amazing game. But their are other games that will take the GOTY (Starcraft 2, Spore also says Hi)

newsguy

Wollan said:
GTA3 debut trailer.

Awesome trailer but my god the graphics..
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T4EyfUmyjsg

I gotta be honest. I don't think any gaming "experience" will ever be the same as when I popped GTA3 into my PS2. The sandbox world in 3D was so unlike anything I'd ever experienced, I thought I would never enjoy any other game again. What R* pulled off with that game should go down as one of gaming's great accomplishments.

WrikaWrek

Banned
InterMoniker said:
***rolls eyes***

Didn't you hear me talking about the ps3 version? Ps3 doesn't have custom tracks in every game.

OOOHHHH

The ps3 version....i got all confused with you talking about dvd. No custom soundtracks hey..well

WELCOME TO NEXT GEN

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
newsguy said:
I gotta be honest. I don't think any gaming "experience" will ever be the same as when I popped GTA3 into my PS2. The sandbox world in 3D was so unlike anything I'd ever experienced, I thought I would never enjoy any other game again. What R* pulled off with that game should go down as one of gaming's great accomplishments.

I agree completely. Seeing this type of game for the first time was an amazing experience.

Wollan

One thing people keep forgetting (or don't know about) is that Philip Glass will be contributing music to this game (also heard in the debut trailer). It will be legendary.

newsguy

Wollan said:
One thing people keep forgetting (or don't know about) is that Philip Glass will be contributing music to this game (also heard in the debut trailer). It will be legendary.

Can you link to any of his popular stuff? I don't know who this is.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Wollan said:

!?

REALLY? I had no idea. Damn...that's surprising.

newsguy said:
I agree as well. That trailer brings back so many memories. What a classic.

WrikaWrek said:
OOOHHHH

The ps3 version....i got all confused with you talking about dvd. No custom soundtracks hey..well
Well do we even know if the ps3 version has custom soundtracks or not?

Stop being such a prick. A couple games like SSHD have custom soundtracks on ps3 already.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
disappeared said:
I can't stop thinking about how awesome Blu-ray is going to be with GTAIV. With the install, it's going to be near seamless loading everywhere.
Don't start this shit. Not here.

WrikaWrek said:
OOOHHHH

WELCOME TO NEXT GEN
InterMoniker said:
I'm willing to bet the opposite it won't be a MASSIVE AMOUNT. It it'll be the SAME AMOUNT of audio from the last-gen GTA games.

Uhhhh I don't know how it could be that much more then last-gen. Everything is higher quality for HD audio and High res textures.

And it's gotta fit on a dvd what a shame.
v3d43m.gif

WrikaWrek

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Well do we even know if the ps3 version has custom soundtracks or not?

Stop being such a prick. A couple games like SSHD have custom soundtracks on ps3 already.

I was a prick? I did what you did! Kinda ironic to say that don't you think!?

Anyway, no i don't think anything about custom soundtracks for the PS3 has been mentioned.

bishoptl said:

birth-begging-dog-790261.gif

I was just trying to show him how uncool that kind of stuff is....please, have mercy on my soul!!!

WrikaWrek said:
I was a prick? I did what you did! Kinda ironic to say that don't you think!?

Anyway, no i don't think anything about custom soundtracks for the PS3 has been mentioned.
You're I think you're being a prick by copying what I said and applying it to custom soundtracks you twat. More and more games will support custom soundtracks on ps3.

Catch my drift?

Guled said:
Last I checked, Snake was playable in Brawl. That alone raises up the badassedness bar.

Who cares about sales. In that case Wii play (or wii fit) will be the game of the year.

Don't get me wrong, GTA will be an amazing game. But their are other games that will take the GOTY (Starcraft 2, Spore also says Hi)

Very excited about this game too!

newsguy said:

I feel the exact same way. Still remember the first time I played that game with a bunch of my friends.

newsguy

InterMoniker said:
You're I think you're being a prick by copying what I said and applying it to custom soundtracks you twat.

Catch my drift?

What? Relax duder. Let's keep this thing well lubed so it can keep going strong, and the thread too :p

newsguy

MaizeRage25 said:
I feel the exact same way. Still remember the first time I played that game with a bunch of my friends.

Yeah my buddies jaws dropped when they first saw all the chaos you could cause. Even my mom was like WTF?:lol Hey, this is OT, what time are you guys on Burnout? I had a blast the other day in the Quarry.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Powerslave said:

LOL.gif

OK HERE'S a question...

Have we heard any songs being picked for GTAIV? Do we have any idea of what we are going to be listening to?

Any songs you guys would specially like to see in this modern GTAIV.

I'm thinking something like Gimme More and stuff like that. No?

PS3 and Xbox 360 versions are going to be identical so can we stop console comparisons?

I really hope you are able to step into the subways and ride the trains in realtime, that would be dope!

FFChris said:
There's a difference between large, uncompressed audio files and lots of audio files. Uncharted will have the former. Again, look at the Halo 3 argument.

Anyway, lets not derail this thread anymore.
Uncharted has all the dialogs in several different languages, which costs time and money, and on a game with just one language that time and money, and space, can be used for something else ;)

Dark FaZe said:
I think the thread can survive :). Next month or so we'll be getting new details. I think multiplayer details.
I'm really interested to see what they're doing with multiplayer. I hope it's something along the lines of MTA. That mod is SO much fun :D

WrikaWrek said:

I'm thinking some Gimme More and stuff like that. No?

yeah definitely some Britney would be nice
828ycdv.gif

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I know bishoptl probably can't, or won't, comment but it's worth a try. Is it still the case that the dev has to give up more of non OS reserved RAM to do custom soundtracks, or is it now a case of devs just not wanting to spend the time to do it? I know GTA has always had some pretty good music, but I still like the idea of throwing my own at it once I've listened to most of the music a couple of times.

Also, is there a way for the dev to disable custom soundtracks on the 360? I'm pretty sure they can't, as it's an OS thing. However, if there was a way, it could end some of the stupid bickering.

WrikaWrek said:
LOL.gif

OK HERE'S a question...

Have we heard any songs being picked for GTAIV? Do we have any idea of what we are going to be listening to?

I'm thinking something like Gimme More and stuff like that. No?

I'm honestly mostly interested in the talk radio. That is some of the funniest most random shit I ever heard! They usually do a nice job on the music choices so no worries there.

squatingyeti said:
I know bishoptl probably can't, or won't, comment but it's worth a try. Is it still the case that the dev has to give up more of non OS reserved RAM to do custom soundtracks, or is it now a case of devs just not wanting to spend the time to do it? I know GTA has always had some pretty good music, but I still like the idea of throwing my own at it once I've listened to most of the music a couple of times.

Also, is there a way for the dev to disable custom soundtracks on the 360? I'm pretty sure they can't, as it's an OS thing. However, if there was a way, it could end some of the stupid bickering.

Devs dont have to program anything in for custom soundtracks, that all handled by the dashboard for the 360 itself. I dont see why you would want to disable that feature since its just user preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom