• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

on a unrelated sidenote

raiden_thumb.jpg

source

makes you wonder how much more awesome ssmb will be

Sadist

I think it is inherently wrong and unfair to productive discourse when equating Wii Sports to a "glorified tech demo". Wii Sports is indifferent to the purest of games. Are fun IOS games tech demos? Tetris a tech demo? The simplicity of the UI has been linked to user friendliness and is a trait the biggest money making games of this generation commonly have. The presentation is dull, and the interface is as plain jane as can be, but it is actually amongst the purest gaming entities in the software market.

Additionally, the game was developed in the same traditional manner all EAD Technology --> EAD Software Development games are done.
Oh but I agree, but I was a bit hyperbolic when I posted that comment especialy the part about "glorified". The real point I was trying to make was about the launch line-up.

Btw, I do think that to a certain degree Wii Sports is a techdemo. (which isn't a bad thing) I mean, I had tons of fun the first three months with it and as a tool to introduce the possibillities of the Wii was a stroke of genius. And yes, as a game it's good because of it's simplicity. But, I always felt that Wii Sports was positioned differently than any other software Nintendo ever published. It's hard for me to explain.

on a unrelated sidenote

source

makes you wonder how much more awesome ssmb will be
You know, I don't care that much for PS Allstars but I just don't understand the inclusion of Big Daddy and New Dante. Allthough, it surprises me we're seeing Raiden in this game instead of Snake.

jmizzal

What about a Red Steel HD remake using Wiimotion plus controls with online multiplayer, and improved AI. On the WiiU eShop

I would like that, Red Steel was a good game just with bad controls, its still one of the best looking Wii games, with some of the best effort put into it.

Sheroking

I wonder if Xenoblade has elevated them in Nintendo's eyes. The game received pretty much universal critical praise and surprising demand from the West; probably sold more than they could have reasonably expected it to sell given the lateness and method of delivery.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility they start giving Monolith soft's games a more worldwide treatment.

What about a Red Steel HD remake using Wiimotion plus controls with online multiplayer, and improved AI. On the WiiU eShop

I would like that, Red Steel was a good game just with bad controls, its still one of the best looking Wii games, with some of the best effort put into it.

Was genuinely surprised RS2 did not get a PS3 port.

There's still time, though.

Number45

You know, I don't care that much for PS Allstars but I just don't understand the inclusion of Big Daddy and New Dante. Allthough, it surprises me we're seeing Raiden in this game instead of Snake.
Bioshock, DmC and Revengeance all due out "soon" is why.

Hiltz

I wonder if Xenoblade has elevated them in Nintendo's eyes. The game received pretty much universal critical praise and surprising demand from the West; probably sold more than they could have reasonably expected it to sell given the lateness and method of delivery.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility they start giving Monolith soft's games a more worldwide treatment.

I hope small-time publishers like XSEED are prepared to rescue us if Nintendo pulls the kind of stunt it did with Xenoblade and Last Story.

Sheroking

I hope small-time publishers like XSEED are prepared to rescue us if Nintendo doesn't release certain great games overseas or even if it does, but not after a big delayed release.

I always just assumed they delayed the release of those games as long as they did because they had literally nothing for the Wii in it's final year.

NickMitch

That would be rather nice actually. I really thing RS is one of the most underrated games on Wii. The controls are rather crap though, but I think the game shines in it´s level design. Very Nice.

Talking about remakes.

I would transcend to a higher state of being if Retro did a Wii-U version of Metroid Prime Trilogy with some uppdated gfx and some WiiU Gamepad awesomeness..!

Sheroking

Wii Sports is a glorified techdemo?

That's one of the dumbest things I've read

I kind of agree with it really.

I'd more likely say a "glorified proof of concept" that was exceptionally polished. I don't see that as a detracting statement either: The friggin' thing was free.

A Rockstar-developed Toonces game? Okay, you have my attention.

Grand Theft Toonces with Dana Carvey and Victoria Jackson doing the voices as Toonces' "parents" who are now in dire straits and in desperate need of money. "It's OK, honey! He can drive, terrorize the city and pull off heists...just not very well!" Scenarios/missions written by Jack Handy, of course.

goomba

Banned
Playing old Wii games on the pad also seems a bit far-fetched, given how many of them require the nunchuck controller, not to mention I doubt you'll be able to use the uPad with Wii games in general.

What?

GamePad has an IR sensor bar for a reason.

Oersted

Sadist

Shikamaru Ninja put it perfectly - it's one of the purest games of this generation; plug and play with no problems for anyone. Most people don't know how hard it is to pull off such simple concepts correctly.

kinect sports is one hell of a glorified tech demo. wii sports was just fun

Hiltz

I always just assumed they delayed the release of those games as long as they did because they had literally nothing for the Wii in it's final year.

That's basically what Nintendo did but we still faced a terrible software drought in 2011. For most of us, we had nothing to play until Zelda.
Xenoblade was out in Japan since June 2010 and even Europe got the game in the third quarter of 2011, but what about North America ?

Sheroking

That's basically what Nintendo did but we still faced a terrible software drought in 2011. For most of us, we had nothing to play until Zelda.
Xenoblade was out in Japan since June 2010 and even Europe got the game in the third quarter of 2011, but what about North America ?

Okay, but could you imagine 2012 without Xenoblade and Last Story?

At least 2011 had Zelda.

Didn't Japan get the Wii for $200 and no Wii Sports?

They had to buy it, yes.

But I'm not Japanese, so why do I care.

Madn

You seem to know French...you couldn't give us any bullet points of an overview? Anything interesting?

He basically says that the wii u is a lot harder to market than the wii because you have to try it to actually understand how it works. It was difficult also for developers to think of great ways to implement this new technology. He thinks that the gamepad adds a lot to the gaming experience

Sadist

Sadist

Shikamaru Ninja put it perfectly - it's one of the purest games of this generation; plug and play with no problems for anyone. Most people don't know how hard it is to pull off such simple concepts correctly.
Hey hey hey I explained myself

Stulaw

Wii sports is my third most played game on my Wii, and I've put over 100 hours of that in juat by myself, that's how fun it can be. (I have had over 50 games for the Wii).

If Monolith do anything, it might be something short like Disaster: Day of Crysis first, and then maybe a long JRPG afterwoods, although there's still that one piece of concept art from acouple of years ago with the castle.

Then again, one of Monolith's teams is developing Project X Zone at the moment.

Hiltz

Okay, but could you imagine 2012 without Xenoblade and Last Story?

At least 2011 had Zelda.

They had to buy it, yes.

But I'm not Japanese, so why do I care.

I think 2012 would be a more understandable year for its lack of software support on Wii. It still had Rhythm Heaven and Mario Party 9 in the first half of the year anyway (for North America). The second half of the year didn't really need much since many Wii owners are saving up to buy a Wii U anyway.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You seem to know French...you couldn't give us any bullet points of an overview? Anything interesting?
Ok I'll do my best to translate Michael Ancel's Wii U interview.

He starts saying Nintendo has a tough job to do to explain Wii U. It's like having a whole new cooking recipe, and you can't put words on it: people have to taste it.

He says it's hard to see, but for him Wii U is a core gamer concept. It brings new tools to gamers, and to games, while not removing what they already had. Instead of simplifying, like the Wii did, we are now facing a monument in videogames in terms of potential complexity.

He comments the multi layers approach: touchscreen ; classic joysticks ; or both mixed, which is a whole different thing. Nintendo's direction was hard for developpers to understand at first, since they had the impression they had to merge two worlds that had nothing in common. Eventually, it's this problematic that creates its value.

He then talks about Rayman Legends, and how it's as if there is a level designer that changes the playfield in realtime. He mentions a gameplay feature he's not allowed to talk about yet: the GamePad player will be able to litteraly dig in the scenery a la Dig Dug. He says asymmetric gameplay is great, because of this new kind of interaction, people will shout at each other.

He then says Wii U is a machine that has an enormous memory. They have almost no limitations in terms of memory. This is perfectly suited to 2D games, which use memory a lot for textures, drawings, etc.

He says Wii U is a surprising machine, which can display full HD on the main screen while streaming a different image at 800X480 on the tablet, and keeping a 60 i/s framerate.

He loves how Wii U opens LAN possibilities.

Despite being a rather powerful machine, he says Wii U is not a traditionnal next gen, with graphical revolutions. Nintendo made different next gen choices.

At last he says he's not sure yet if Wii U can handle his vision of BGE2, because he only has a 2D experience with it so far.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He then says Wii U is a machine that has an enormous memory. They have almost no limitations in terms of memory, which is perfectly suited to 2D games, which use memory a lot for textures, drawings, etc.

I'm interested to know more.

Edit: Just read he's only had 2D experience with it. That makes more sense.

Oersted

He starts saying Nintendo has a tough job to do to explain Wii U. It's like having a whole new cooking recipe, and you can't put words on it: people have to taste it.

He says it's hard to see, but for him Wii U is a core gamer concept. It brings new tools to gamers, and to games, while not removing what they already had. Instead of simplifying, like the Wii did, we are now facing a monument in videogames in terms of potential complexity.

He comments the multi layers approach: touchscreen ; classic joysticks ; or both mixed, which is a whole different thing. Nintendo's direction was hard for developpers to understand at first, since they had the impression they had to merge two worlds that had nothing in common. Eventually, it's this problematic that will create its value.

He then talks about Rayman Legends, and how it's as if there is a level designer that changes the playfield in realtime. He mentions a gameplay feature he's not allowed to talk about yet: the GamePad player will be able to litteraly dig in the scenery a la Dig Dug. He says asymmetric gameplay is great, because of this new kind of interaction, people will shout at each other.

He then says Wii U is a machine that has an enormous memory. They have almost no limitations in terms of memory, which is perfectly suited to 2D games, which use memory a lot for textures, drawings, etc.

He says Wii U is a surprising machine, which can display full HD on the main screen while streaming a different image at 800X480 on the tablet, and keeping a 60 i/s framerate.

Despite being a rather powerful machine, he says Wii U is not a traditionnal next gen, with graphical revolutions. Nintendo made different next gen choices.

At last he says he's not sure yet if Wii U can handle his vision of BGE2, because he only has a 2D experience with it so far.

i want viewtiful joe and donkey kong. now.

majik13

I thought it had one, such that - you know - you can play your Wii games on TV. I don't remember them ever mentioning that you can play Wii games on the uPad itself.

why would there be a sensor bar on the gamepad itself to play games only on the tv? It will be very easy and worthwhile to allow wii game use on the gamepd.

nordique

OUTSTANDING Michael Ancel interview about Wii U. I love this guy and his Wii U impressions are some of the most interesting we've heard.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/30966-michel-ancel-l-interview-video-sur-la-wii-u-bg-e2-le-mobile

I have work to finish so I can't translate it, a french guy will hopefully have the time to do it for gaf.

Awesome, thanks for sharing this marc, he is certainly very positive about the system

I have to say though, the iPad Rayman game looks great but the guy just hitting the screen was funny

Banned
I think it is inherently wrong and unfair to productive discourse when equating Wii Sports to a "glorified tech demo". Wii Sports is indifferent to the purest of games. Are fun IOS games tech demos? Tetris a tech demo? The simplicity of the UI has been linked to user friendliness and is a trait the biggest money making games of this generation commonly have. The presentation is dull, and the interface is as plain jane as can be, but it is actually amongst the purest gaming entities in the software market.

Additionally, the game was developed in the same traditional manner all EAD Technology --> EAD Software Development games are done.

Again people, don't be too delusional with the "retro and monolith will blowz us away". There is no guarantee whatsoever that the first monolith game won't be some weird anime or japan only niche title. Memes aside, Nintendo can always announce some mindblowing game from an unconventional or even new developer. History does not always repeat it self. If so, Factor 5 and RARE would be the delusional dreams instead of Retro and Monolith.
I love JRPGs rather they are anime style like tales or realistic like FF. I want an exclusive JRPG for my Nintendo system, that is all, and I'm excited for it.

Or....Grand Theft Wurwolf:

werewolf-crash.gif

He comments the multi layers approach: touchscreen ; classic joysticks ; or both mixed, which is a whole different thing. Nintendo's direction was hard for developpers to understand at first, since they had the impression they had to merge two worlds that had nothing in common. Eventually, it's this problematic that will create its value.

Awesome, thanks! I'm especially excited about the memory being well suited to hand drawn art/2D games. We need a Yoshi's Island U!

AniHawk

I think I just value Zelda way more than you guys heh

Yeah, it was a Gamecube game, but it's not like the GC release was simultaneous. Wii launch day was the first time you could get your hands on Twilight Princess. That sold me on the console. Pikmin 3 is a Wii game, but it's the biggest selling point for me right now, even if they did release a gimped Pikmin 3 for the Wii.

I'm not all that interested in Ubisofts launch offerings either. Maybe I'll try them during the inevitable 2013 dry spell.

i loved twilight princess a lot. i think it's the best zelda. but nsmbu and rayman legends right at the start are a pretty powerful combo for me. pikmin 3 is icing on the cake.

nordique

Considering how cheap Ram is (someone said $4 for 2GB's ?), i think Nintendo is being truly stingy if the console only has 1.5GB of Ram and 500MB of it is 'reserved' for the OS.

Do they actually know this console has to last until possibly 2018 ?...

I was happy with 2GB of overall Ram with 500MB reserved for the OS but 1GB of Ram for games is pretty hard to take and puts the final nail in the coffin for the WU getting next generation multi platform ports imo considering PS4 will more than likely have 2GB's of GDDR 5 Ram or 4GB's of GDDR 3 Ram and the 720 between 6-8 GB's of Ram (call it 4GB's as 2GB's will most prob be reserved for mini Windows 8 / Kinect 2).

First it was a weak GPU when compared to PS4 / 720 (500 GFLOPS), then complaints about the CPU's power and now the news that it will only have 1GB of Ram for games...

If like me you love Nintendo and want to play all of their exclusives in HD then great but i would warn against anyone buying WU as their main system next gen as i really can't see it even getting 'downports' of most of the big triple a multiplatform games.

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to mention that the conceptions of wholesale RAM being cheap equating to the same RAM Nintendo is putting in the Wii U, even if both are DDR3, is not the exact same

When RAM is at wholesale, it usually refers to single sticks

Wii U is going to be manufactured and have RAM soldered onto the guts; the price of RAM for Nintendo is NOT simply a wholesale price, it is the cost of the specific RAM + being soldered + being soldered in a specific place that can all contribute to a higher cost, among other things, than what a typical stick of RAM may be

One thing I have noticed, on gaming threads in general, is this idea that simple computer parts at wholesale value or newegg prices are what goes into consoles; this isn't true.

I know other posters addressed this, and many have done multiple times in the past in various threads, but its something everyone should consider *before* any emotionally fuelled conclusions are drawn

console ram =/= "typical" ram, even if the console ram is the same

I think Wii U will be plenty fine for the next 6 years worth of Nintendo games, and I have always kept my expectations of the Wii U tech in check. Its not as weak as this post is making it out to be, even if it isn't as strong as you (and I, and others) would personally have liked to see it

hatchx

Banned

Well that is extremely depressing, seeing how perfect the Game Pad seems to be for BG&E's gameplay and camera usage.

antonz

Well that is extremely depressing, seeing how perfect the Game Pad seems to be for BG&E's gameplay and camera usage.

I wouldnt worry too much. BG&E2 is probably never going to see the light of day and if it does who knows what shape it will be in. Its a stop and go project that Ubisoft is not investing heavily investing in.

I'm actually shocked we're still getting posts about PC RAM. I mean, I know some of these people have been following these threads and I know console RAM =/= PC RAM has been stated dozens of times for years now

nordique

to be fair he was non committal & barely touched on it at the end of that sentence, and did not say "No it will not be on Wii U at all"

Daknight

Can't wait for Sept 13 so I can finally pre-order this thing. Sold the 360 (I got back 5 dollars more than what I paid for it (104 and I bought it for 99). I didn't play it (bought it on black friday special impulse buy O_O)...it sucks being hype for a system together with family member.

Sis just did the same with her xbox and kind of got me hyped and I ended doing the same (I had...two games for the 360 honestly O_O). Reminds me of the time we where hype for the original NES (and Gameboy) and beg once for the videogame store to rent us Super Mario Bros 3 for ONE day (it was reserve for and entire 3 months in by various people!). Hyped + nostalgia = 360 sold (if I had game collection I wouldn't sell of course, but rather start my game collection with Wii and keep playing my Wii games).

Been hook on Arc Rise fantasia (hook on RPG again cause of Xenoblade (which I finish) and Last Story (also finish). Tales of Symphonia 2 just didn't cut it. I had to much attachment to the first and second wasn't anywhere near quality as that one (IMO). Sad there isn't ONE RPG announce for the Wii U yet. Thank GOD 3DS has some RPG (so getting Tales of the Abyss soon).

I hope they don't suddenly offer and amazing Trade-in value for the Wii U or I'll kick myself hard O_O

Oersted

with ancel´s words in mind, and remembering nsmbu, trine 2, rayman, scribblenauts hence even chasing aurora, wiiu seems really to become the 2d-games console. works for me.

but what about 2,5d games? we are talking about pokemon, classic zelda.....

RAWi

I should say that it is rather pleasant to read/hear it.

He has just experienced the 2D side of Wii U, maybe when he get to experience 3D then he will notice that a BG&E may come to be something possible.

Yet, that's just hoping for him to like the console for BG&E XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom