• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The March to Wrestlemania XXXIII!

I'm listening to Review a Raw now while drinking some terrible, terrible Semillon Sauvignon Blanc.

Raw was just nothing. No highlights, nothing even particularly terrible, that I can recall. Just nothing. Cesaro vs Joe was ruined with an ad break and was pathetically short for what it should have been. Reigns music playing at the end was also pathetic.

Awful shit for a go home Raw.

Jamie OD

I'm listening to Review a Raw now while drinking some terrible, terrible Semillon Sauvignon Blanc.

Raw was just nothing. No highlights, nothing even particularly terrible, that I can recall. Just nothing. Cesaro vs Joe was ruined with an ad break and was pathetically short for what it should have been. Reigns music playing at the end was also pathetic.

The road to Wrestlemania is more like a treadmill sometimes.

shaowebb

New thread?
Needs more Naito.
WHXH4QX.gif

AHEM
[*] Your entry is your avatar. By submitting a wrestler into the Avatar Rumble, you are acknowledging that you will change your avatar to the avatar of the winning entrant and keep that avatar from the night of the Avatar Rumble - January 27th, 2017 - until the end of February 28th, 2017. Do not back out of the avatar change. This is a month plus one day, because it'll be easier for everyone to remember the deadline if it falls on the end of the month.

so is Naito going to defend his belt at all for March? Didn't really see any potential feuds for him during Honor Rising. This is my first year following NJPW schedule, so they only defend every couple months right?

Yes, that's correct. If you go by last year's schedule, Naito's next defense won't be until May.

However, Naito has said he will enter the New Japan Cup (which is odd since he is a current heavyweight singles champion and thus ineligible) to defend his title and has promised to challenge Okada after the fact.

Hey friends how was Ra-

Alright let's read the RAW recap

well alright

...alrighty then. Guess I'll go ahead and finish Honor Rising night 1 tonight instead.

Sephzilla

I'm actually hyped as fuck for GWF tomorrow. So many potential questions leading up to the show!

• How many Zachy-To-Backy's will Sephzilla no sell?
  • How will the crowd react to either mystery wrestler?
  • Who will be champ?
  • Will GWF1 run long and cut into Beefy Knows Best's time slot?!

Hey friends how was Ra-

...alrighty then. Guess I'll go ahead and finish Honor Rising night 1 tonight instead.

Yeah Raw was infinitely skipable, maybe check out the Goldberg/Owens and the Rollins stuff on youtube... or don't neither were amazing.

Even the New Day's Tribute to the Bret Hart WCW Segment was horrible :(

Zach

No Way Out 2007 is the worst. Little Bastard and Boogeyman and Boogeyman, Jr. Nonsensical, gross divaz segment. Michael Cole losing his voice so Jibble is talking more than ever. God.

Hearing Austin talk about psychology on today's podcast puts things into perspective about today's wrestlings. People don't think about things that they do.

Austin, Jake and Scott could teach a masters course on wrasslin

Here are the translated brackets for the NJC courtesy Reddit's EvanDeadlySins. Interestingly, no Naito.

C5uW7iqWYAAAk3G.jpg

Tanahashi/EVIL looks like it could very well be an upset, I can see this being the start of Tana's typical Spring feud when he gives the rub to a lower card talent but of course wins in the end because Tana.

Honma/Roa Well, this match is going to suck. Honma needs a good opponent to have a good match and it isn't fucking Tanga Roa. Honma wins.

Elgin/Fale It's a Vince wet dream match! NJPW loves to put over Fale in these first round matches so I say he beats Elgin.

Yano/Tonga: Yano wins in his typical Yano way. Probably will be short.

Shibata/Suzuki: FUCK YES GIVE IT TO ME!!! This is going to be stiff as fuck and I will love every minute. Suzuki will win but this is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Juice vs. Yujiro: Well, this probably won't be very good, but Juice is entertaining enough. Juice wins.

Ishii vs. Omega OH HELL YES!!! Again, this should be an excellent match, I can see Meltzer already licking his lips and getting his stars ready. Omega is my pick to win the tournament so I think he takes it but this is gonna be GOOD.

YOSHI-HASHI/SANADA Nice that somebody at NJPW remembered this feud existed. SANADA wins to reignite the feud and give us SANADA/Omega in the second round which should also be quite good.

Anyway, here's hoping we get Omega/Suzuki in the semifinals. This NEEDS to happen.

The best thing about boogyman was that he was committed to the gimmick 100%.

Court Bauer told a story how when he went to the hospital after a match he refused to take the paint off because he didn't want people to see his face.

Also wore a mask back stage to protect the gimmick

Here are the translated brackets for the NJC courtesy Reddit's EvanDeadlySins. Interestingly, no Naito.

I think New Japan is trying to get their champs out of the Cup since the winner gets to make a challenge. Got to have enough stars left to make the field left though.

Yano/Tonga: Yano wins in his typical Yano way. Probably will be short.

This would be a good time to give Tama Tonga a win. Yano is always going to be Yano. A win or loss isn't going to make a difference and Tama could become the #2 BC guy.

Also kinda surprised that Davy Boy Smith Jr isn't in the Cup. The Suzuki-gun return really is just Suzuki and a job squad.

I think New Japan is trying to get their champs out of the Cup since the winner gets to make a challenge. Got to have enough stars left to make the field left though.

This would be a good time to give Tama Tonga a win. Yano is always going to be Yano. A win or loss isn't going to make a difference and Tama could become the #2 BC guy.

Also kinda surprised that Davy Boy Smith Jr isn't in the Cup. The Suzuki-gun return really is just Suzuki and a job squad.

Usually that is correct (Hence why Okada and Goto also are not present) but Naito said he was entering the tournament after beating Elgin as he wanted to go on to challenge Okada. I guess it isn't happening. EDIT: Thanks for the update, Boots.

The GOD don't really have a program at the moment so I can't see them being given the rub as singles competitors. New Japan always loves to remind fans of Yano's sublime master thievery so I think Tama is getting Yanowned.

DBS Jr. is an odd omission but New Japan does like to bring a shoot element to how they select the tournament, and since he just came back I can see there just not being any room for him. As for Suzuki-Gun, considering the only other heavyweights are DBS Jr. and Iizuka, I think you'll see more involvement from them when Taka/Taichi/Desperado/Kanemaru are all in the BOSJ.

The biggest exclusion to me is Makabe, I think he deserves to be in this tourney way more than Yujiro or fucking Tanga Roa.

Recall

I think we will see Elgin in the final of the New Japan Cup, there is no way he is going out early if nothing else.

Yano should absolutely get a Yano spot win and then get killed by Elgin or Fale (I'm assuming Elgin)

Interesting that they have Omega and Suzuki in the same bracket meaning they can only meet in the semis not the finals.

Yano should absolutely get a Yano spot win and then get killed by Elgin or Fale (I'm assuming Elgin)

Interesting that they have Omega and Suzuki in the same bracket meaning they can only meet in the semis not the finals.

Yeah that does make more sense actually. I say EVIL beats Tana and Elgin squeaks by Fale likely with some sort of cheap roll-up or maybe a countout win. Yano beat Elgin in the G1 so there is impetus for Elgin to get his win back.

The biggest exclusion to me is Makabe, I think he deserves to be in this tourney way more than Yujiro or fucking Tanga Roa.

Guys like Makabe and Nagata can still go but they've been in roughly the same role for New Japan for years now. It makes sense to give them a break and come back fresher in a few months. Like what they did with Bullet Club in January.

Cup is a single elimination tournament while the G1 is a round robin tournament.

G1 is also the more prestigious tournament. Getting a win there is a much bigger deal than the Cup.

So the New Japan Cup are the round two matches that are all on different days just not going to be aired on NJPW world or are they taped on those dates in the bracket and just aired as part of the semis on he 19th that is on NJPW World?

Guys like Makabe and Nagata can still go but they've been in roughly the same role for New Japan for years now. It makes sense to give them a break and come back fresher in a few months. Like what they did with Bullet Club in January.

Actually I just found out that Makabe said he wasn't entering the NJC as he wants to concentrate solely on his tag team with Honma and winning back the tag belts.

Top Bottom