• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Samsung demos "Xbox display"

derFeef

Update: IllumiRoom project site, videos included:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

Microsoft just demonstrated an interesting Xbox display accessory at the Samsung CES keynote that apparently fills up the room with images and lights beyond the confines of a television screen.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/microsoft-and-samsung-demos-xbox-display-fills-room-with-images/

g0Qff.jpg

bCqAZ.jpg

Video:

Seems related to this patent.

ms_xbox_kinect_patent.jpg

Very interesting idea. On paper seems that it would enhance one's sense of immersion, but I can also imagine it having the opposite effect in practice...

It's unclear how the technology is being implemented, but we were promised it wasn't just video tricks and was indeed a video of a lab demo.

Apparently this dude never saw the Milo presentation. I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes.

Syraxith

If priced reasonably I could see this catching on in popularity or finding some niche market. It's impressive to say the least but not exactly ground-breaking either.

The MS rep at our local Best Buy has been talking about this for over a year now. Looks like he wasn't that far off. Interesting to see how this pans out

I think it all really boils down to two things:

1) What's the price? If it's ridiculously expensive, only the niche players would pick it up.
2) What's the quality of the panel? I know Sammy makes good stuff, but I could see them cheaping out a bit if they had to keep it "affordable"

It's going to look ridiculous.

You'd have to live in a white room with nothing but the TV and Couch for it to look good.

Looks like the 3D (Kinect?) scanning of the room's surfaces will help to alleviate a lot of the major distortions, even correcting for color and possibly some surface reflection.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Woh that youtube video has me sold, hopefully it's for real real, how does it project in 3D or is it a viewpoint thing?

Looks like the 3D (Kinect?) scanning of the room's surfaces will help to alleviate a lot of the major distortions, even correcting for color and possibly some surface reflection.

At that point, with as cheap as Kinects are now, it's a wonder they just didn't build the Kinect into the TV.

Peterthumpa

Just looks like a projector behind the players syncronized with the TV image.
Can't see this as groundbreaking as the Oculus Rift or something similar.

Plus, would never work for party games (darker room required).

I had better get 360° projector support from any next-gen XBOX themes I buy. Love the idea of an extended HUD as well as a way to control the ambient light in a room to maximize atmosphere instead of just lighting up the room with secondary light coming from the display.

Top Bottom