• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Question
what happened to Cain? Is there another ending?

They do a terrible job of explaining it - hence why you see other posts here asking to be able to play as any party member for the course of the game. The ending variations are really minor, but if you
have max Cain approval, he rushes in to take the hit for Faye instead of Bo. Unclear if Cain dies as a result and they don't explain what he was up to. Literally only replaces that scene, with the hero remarking "so that's what it feels like to lose your job to a scraphead!"

Hagi

They do a terrible job of explaining it - hence why you see other posts here asking to be able to play as any party member for the course of the game. The ending variations are really minor, but if you
have max Cain approval, he rushes in to take the hit for Faye instead of Bo. Unclear if Cain dies as a result and they don't explain what he was up to. Literally only replaces that scene, with the hero remarking "so that's what it feels like to lose your job to a scraphead!"

huh thats pretty underwhelming but its worth seeing on another play through, i didn't really like that he was just forgotten once they reached the other building.

C-Jo

As a former Sega fanboy, today's news hit extra hard. I was waiting for price drops, but I just ordered Binary Domain and Dead Souls at full price.

kunonabi

How is the online play for BD? I can either get the X360 version which runs better and is in my room or I can get the PS3 version which I can play online. If the online is really fun I might opt for the PS3. Bear in mind I hate games where you respawn instantly and dying isn't much of a setback.

Robot Pants

Just a quick GMG question, I preordered this a couple of days ago, and I got my email confirmation and everything, but under Activation Code, there isn't anything. They are just gonna email me with it later right?

tried the demo and don't think this is for me. i thought a sniper and a demo expert would be a good combo but when they ask you why you chose them the only options are "i'm a sleaze" and, this one made be say what the hell, "oops, my bad." why would you even say that? so i said nothing and the sniper girl decided she didn't like me and wouldn't shoot enemy snipers.

there was some small measure of satisfaction gained in letting them die.

Koralsky

My copy finally arrive (I preordeder the game), but, well - Zavvi...

I'm starting the game in a couple of minutes - my hype is ready!

Just finished it and loved it... shame about the stupid name/cover and no promotion. Will be recommending to all my friends though!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Still no word on a solid PC release date, eh? This is so Renegade Ops all over again.

Koralsky

Finish it on PS3 - such an amazing experience.

I can't understand the review scores - the game is high class on almost every level.

Shame we will never see something similar from SEGA. With Vanquish and now Binary Domain, they have two AAA TPS that are in TOP3 of the genre this gen, along with Gears series.

I was disappointed in the overall product. Way too repetitive TBH, plus the inclusion of some questionable gameplay sections to try and vary the game. The hit O at the precise time was nasty. Still it has it's moments and it's not a bad game by any means.

As for the multiplayer, well I haven't played something so bad in a long time. Just awful.

Dyno

Finished it last night. Japanese gaming done right! There hasn't been one like this since Vanquish! This game has a lot of strong points : The shooting is good and the robot enemies are great. I like the talking mini-game that takes place within the firefight but we sucked at it because we were talking too much while playing and so most of our team died as a result. It's got just enough of that Japan-style quirk to make me think of the good old days.

Will definitely play it again. It's a shame the NA cover art is so fucking cheap because this game had great art design and some of that should have been on the cover.

Regarding weapon upgrades: Was their really a point? All we did is get the main characters assault rifle up to max in all ways. That took most of the game. Did anybody bother upgrading the other characters? Does it make a difference?

scitek

System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM (XP)/3GB RAM (Windows 7 / Vista)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT220 (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (512MB)
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 3GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB) / ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

---

For comparison: Sonic Generations' were

---

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM (XP)/3GB RAM (Windows 7 / Vista)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD 2900 (512MB)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 11 GB free hard drive space
Sound:

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 3GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB) / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB)
DirectX®:
Hard Drive: 11 GB free hard drive space
Sound:

---

Thinking the recommendation of a 5750 is likely a typo. Either way, 60fps is a go.

Cheska

Just started and got to Chapter Two, and I'm hit with that
sliding section
. God damn do I hate segments like that in games -_- I hope there aren't many more throughout the campaign.

Goddamn this game is bonkers. Thanks for the recommendation, GAF. Having so much fun with this. More people need to buy this!

Q: any incentive in switching partners around, or should i just stick with two (currently the chinese sniper and the british asshole)?

Jubern

I boot up the game for the first time today and... Is there really no other way to change voices besides changing the console (and thus entire game) language?

I'm so not playing that in French.

Shaneus

So, PC release is still dated "April". Know what other game had a similar lead-up to launch? Fucking Renegade Ops. Also handled by Sega.

Fuck.

Jubern

I should have guessed from the sound quality I get when calling someone, but it looks my bluetooth headset sucks too much to be usable with this game :/ I need to try really hard in order to get a 80-90 point score and the game misunderstands what I say quite a bit. I just gave up after the part where you're asked to say 突撃, for some reason that one won't register at all.

That's frustrating, it's not the same without the headset. But I'm not buying a new one for this, so :/

Kazzy

Just finished this, all round it was a great little suprise, gameplay was really solid (especially after coming off the back of Yakuza Dead Souls) and the story has a real charm to it.

Big Bo and Cain were awesome, so it figures that both of them would bite it by the end. Well thats what I'm guessing because Cain goes MIA after chapter 5.

The voice acting was good, although some accents slipped quite often, especially Rachel's which was apparent whenever she said more than two words. I can't decide whether or not Bo was masterful VA or not, I loved it all the same.

Was expecting Dan to be a Hollow Child, he looked so generic in comparison to the rest of the squad I was sure it was a subtle play on the fact.

It also has a level of presentation that they will hopefully take into future Yakuza installments.

Surprisingly I know a few people who bought this, will definitely try out the multiplayer at some point. The campaign should have had co-op (and I thought it did in fairness), because I would go through on Survivor right away.

Pakkidis

So far I'm at chapter 3 and I think its a fantastic game. The
jet ski section was by far the down point of the game but thankfully its short

Is their any way to raise trust levels with characters faster. I keep gaining points with Faye however her trust level is still normal..

Love the fact that you can shoot different body parts on enemies and they react differently.

Kazzy

So far I'm at chapter 3 and I think its a fantastic game. The
jet ski section was by far the down point of the game but thankfully its short

Is their any way to raise trust levels with characters faster. I keep gaining points with Faye however her trust level is still normal..

Love the fact that you can shoot different body parts on enemies and they react differently.

There is a nano-machine that boosts your trust gain. If I remember rightly, you get it from the Yakuza in the slums, its counter-intuitive in that you have to go backwards from your objective to find him. Not that any of this matters as you've already passed that section.

And regarding trust, this is more of a general tip but I guess I should spoiler it...
After the 3rd Chapter your team pretty much becomes locked at its current formation for quite a while, I can't remember if you are forced to take particular members but I was pissed by the lack of Bo for a while!

And in general just do well in combat, head-shots aplenty! I found that there was more opportunity for it in the later chapters, some of the late additions to my party I ended up maxing out more quickly for this reason.

Oh, and you want to know what my real big peeve about this game was? The bosses soak up way too much damage, its to such a ridiculous degree that I find myself not knowing if I'm actually damaging them after a while. Once you have removed their armour you often get no indication as to what is affecting them. I did play this on Hard though, so maybe that's a problem exclusive to that mode.

Pakkidis

There is a nano-machine that boosts your trust gain. If I remember rightly, you get it from the Yakuza in the slums, its counter-intuitive in that you have to go backwards from your objective to find him. Not that any of this matters as you've already passed that section.

And regarding trust, this is more of a general tip but I guess I should spoiler it...
After the 3rd Chapter your team pretty much becomes locked at its current formation for quite a while, I can't remember if you are forced to take particular members but I was pissed by the lack of Bo for a while!

And in general just do well in combat, head-shots aplenty! I found that there was more opportunity for it in the later chapters, some of the late additions to my party I ended up maxing out more quickly for this reason.

Oh, and you want to know what my real big peeve about this game was? The bosses soak up way too much damage, its to such a ridiculous degree that I find myself not knowing if I'm actually damaging them after a while. Once you have removed their armour you often get no indication as to what is affecting them. I did play this on Hard though, so maybe that's a problem exclusive to that mode.

Wait what?!?!? I remember being in the slums and talking to everyone and gaining a small boost. I even used the nano machine their and saw no option. Doesn't matter, its my first playthrough so I'm just soaking it all in and enjoying the experience.

Its funny you mention the bosses,
I was just playing and one area their was a large robot firing 2 rockets while I was fighting off smaller robots. I fired so much into that large robot and I didn't even make a dent in him. I was allowed to continue my objective so I assumed it was unkillable.

Koralsky

About to start playing this later today. Are there any penalties to playing the game on easy? Or is the normal difficulty setting a breeze?

Well i think you should start the game on normal - I finish the game on PS3 and died about 8-9 times (five of witch was on qte events).

The game is just too easy on normal. On easy it will play itself...

Kazzy

Play it on normal.

Hard is better and more satisfying for me.

Definitely, it never seemed particularly challenging on Hard (which is the only mode I've played) minus the confusion over whether I was actually damaging the bosses. I assume normal is so much of a pushover that it would quickly get boring.

I did not know Kiryu was playable in multiplayer, wat?!

geebee

Banned
Finished my first playthrough on Friday.. best third person shooter I've played since Vanquish. Easily my most enjoyed game of the year so far. I admit I was skeptical of the game when I first heard about it, but now I'm confident Nagoshi and team Yakuza can make an amazing game from any genre..

Just finished and I really enjoyed it! It may be a little action movie cheesy, but it's part of its charm.
You people with a decent PC or still sitting on this one better buy it! :mad:

SEGA is somewhat on a roll with quality games, and it makes me really sad it's being punished financially for it...

Pakkidis

I too just completed the game, played it all weekend. I loved it. The dialogue and voice acting were the only sour points for me but the characters and story clearly made up for it.

Tokubetsu

this is on sale at playasia cheap. does the xbox360/ps3 versions have pro cons etc?

let me know. I want to order soon.

Both are fairly close. PS3 version said to have more slowdown but people I know who played through it didn't have much problems. I played the 360 version and didn't have any problems either.

Finally got this game and played the campaign for a couple of hours yesterday. I really like how the game breaks up the shooting parts every now and then, before you have a chance to get bored. I also enjoy the character interactions so far, even if it is B-movie stuff. The story seems like it has some gravitas, without taking itself too seriously, which is very welcome.

I have also tried out the MP a bit and it's solid. It's probably more fun with a good team. Anyway, i have scrolled through those checklists of MP challenges and i've noticed that there are challenges not only for every weapon class, but also for every weapon model within those classes, but i couldn't find a way to change my loadouts, aside from the character class skills/boosters. Do you unlock the other weapon models by moving through the ranks and if so, how do you change your loadouts once you unlock new weapons?

Cheska

Annnnd finally beat the game! Man, what a ride! Admittedly, I wasn't very hooked after the first chapter, but once you start going through the levels it's hard to stop. I loved the cinematic feel to it, and found every characters likeable. In fact, it got to the point where it was hard to choose who I wanted on my team.

There were only two things I had a problem with: boss battles and QTEs.
I don't mind quick time events where you have to press buttons in succession, but I HATED the ones in this game. The cursor would move WAY too fast IMO. As far as the boss battles go, it's not that I found them particularly hard or anything, but I hated that there was no life bar to indicate your progress. I know, I know, their armor comes off as they're taking a beating, but it would still take quite a bit to actually defeat them even after all that.

Either way, I hope more people end up picking this up, it was a nice surprise and may end up as one of my top 10 games of 2012.

Sorry for the off topic, but can one of you japanese speakers translate this message for me?

b7nTP.jpg

I got this today via PSN and i assume it has something to do with Binary Domain, since i have played some MP yesterday and the lobby was full of Japanese players. The button below said "Join" when i received the msg, so i'm guessing it was an MP invite. I don't have the guy on my FL though and i haven't been playing BD MP today, so i'm not sure if that's what it was.

Thx in advance!

Top Bottom