• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microwave-GAF: Do you punch in 60 seconds, 1 minute or t?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kade

I got into a fight over which method is superior for heating things up for a minute. Want to know what the majority of people use

PsionBolt

Unless you explicitly hit "time cook" first, my microwave automatically does minutes coressponding to the button you pressed. So I just press 1.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
There are no buttons to press on my microwave :(
I have something similar to this (except there isn't even button for open):
coXYjqo.jpg

I hit the 1 button and it starts immediately. It's much quicker that way, enough that I'll hit 1 for anything under a minute and just stop it when it's done.

Somnid

I hit 66. An extra 6 seconds won't hurt anything, and it prevents me from having to move my finger to the 0.

I thought I was the only one.

1 minute? 66.
30 seconds? 33.
10 seconds? 11.

It works so well but if there are dedicated buttons I used those.

My microwave is one of those annoying ones that pressing any number on the thing causes the timer to be set for that amount of minutes. So I can just press one and the thing will automatically start cooking one minute. It's pretty convenient, but then when I have to use a time that's not in exact minutes it can be annoying.

akira28

most microwaves default to minute measurements once you go over a minute. I don't think many people would bother to put in 60 seconds since hitting 1 automatically starts the minute counter on many modern microwaves.

The lowest I can set is 30 seconds.

Anyone do away with the microwave all together? We had the kitchen remodeled, and the only place for the microwave was on the counter. The one we have now is too big for the space and I'm putting off buying a new one. Is it possible to live microwave free?

Ty4on

I just press the start button a couple of times (30s for each) and only dial in when going over the max (2:30). With my dial operated microwave at my own place I rarely use the timer much and instead check temps with this.
sentry_infrared_temperature_thermometer_st630-500x500.jpg

I hit 66. An extra 6 seconds won't hurt anything, and it prevents me from having to move my finger to the 0.

I'm a big fan of the double-number, also.

Anyone do away with the microwave all together? We had the kitchen remodeled, and the only place for the microwave was on the counter. The one we have now is too big for the space and I'm putting off buying a new one. Is it possible to live microwave free?

Twenty years ago, my stepmother was afraid of microwave ovens and thought they were dangerous, so we didn't have one. Life sucked. Having to reheat liquids on the stove is awful. I do use the stove to reheat a meal, however; it just tastes better, and pepper seems to have a bad reaction in microwaves.

It depends on the microwave. The one at home will go for however many minutes you press. So if I hit the 2, it goes for 2 minutes. But the one at work has no such function, so I have to hit "time cook" and enter the time.

Also, I always go for arbitrary times, like 1:15. But I always enter it like that, not 75 seconds.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios

Yes, easily. You can re-heat food in a pan or in the oven just as easily. Never understood why people bought microwaves to be honest. Anything you can do with a microwave you can probably do with one of the other appliances in your kitchen.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
60, but only because I don't have a one-button way to do one minute on mine.

I may take up 66 now. Good thinkin', GAF.

Yes, easily. You can re-heat food in a pan or in the oven just as easily. Never understood why people bought microwaves to be honest. Anything you can do with a microwave you can probably do with one of the other appliances in your kitchen.

But not as lazily.

I'm a big fan of the double-number, also.

Twenty years ago, my stepmother was afraid of microwave ovens and thought they were dangerous, so we didn't have one. Life sucked. Having to reheat liquids on the stove is awful. I do use the stove to reheat a meal, however; it just tastes better, and pepper seems to have a bad reaction in microwaves.

Yeah, the stovetop reheat tastes much better. I just have to convince my wife that we don't have to be lazy.

Alucrid

Banned
well the microwave i have has the setting where you push a number and it goes for that many minutes. if you wanted to do 60 seconds you'd have to push a button to manually set the time. so 1 min

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I thought I was the only one.

1 minute? 66.
30 seconds? 33.
10 seconds? 11.

It works so well but if there are dedicated buttons I used those.

I do the same, except for 1 minute I do 1:11. Your way is less buttons though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom