• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Hey all!

New Vive guy here. Just night one from a fellow gaffer, works like a charm!

I had a PSVR, loved it, but solid it because I could get my money back + tip at the time.plus the tracking was less than stellar.

I haven't put a lot of time into Vive yet, but this is Exactly the VR I wanted.

Looking for specific game recomnations, on psvr i had job Simulator, Thumper, and the VR worlds.

I LOVED thumper (bought again on PC, sale at humble)

But I was looking for some flying games.

Space, air, birdman, whatever. what is the best of the best?

Also I have Project cars and dirt rally, these any good? Haven't tried them yet.

House of the Dying Sun is a nice little gem of a space shooter, it has very short missions and some pretty intense action and looks and works great in VR (the main menu is just lovely)

Everspace is releasing very soon and is supposed to have full VR support on release and definitely shows some promise, roguelike space thingmajinger.

Durante

Also I don't know anyone with a Vive within my friends group and I never understand these social palces to begin with ;)
That's a shame. I'm very far from a "social" gamer but messing around with friends in shared VR environments is surprisingly fun. It's also a major reason why I'm looking forward to better body tracking and eye tracking.

derFeef

That's a shame. I'm very far from a "social" gamer but messing around with friends in shared VR environments is surprisingly fun. It's also a major reason why I'm looking forward to better body tracking and eye tracking.

Yeah... well maybe I would enjoy it with friends, who knows. I guess games like Rec Room or even Serious Sam would be much more fun with friends (like all games, but like I said, no VR friends...)

Moondrop

Banned
What's the story on reflective surfaces?

I've already got the windows covered. But what about the glass window on my PC? Should I forgo my whiteboard?

Zalusithix

I've already got the windows covered. But what about the glass window on my PC? Should I forgo my whiteboard?

Something like a whiteboard shouldn't be reflective enough. In the case of the PC, even if the window was super reflective, it's unlikely that it would be in the right position/angle to reflect light from a lighthouse back to the headset. Ultimately testing is the best way to find out though. If you get tracking errors, cover up things that you expect might be causing them until the culprit is identified.

Tain

I hope it's seperate, I like how fast and small the current VR launcher is.
Also I don't know anyone with a Vive within my friends group and I never understand these social palces to begin with ;)

You can disable it. Surely it only runs when you aren't playing other stuff, and it seems to be pretty fast to load, so I like it so far.

The change in how supersampling values are calculated is going to create a lot of confusion with regard to games that have their own super sampling setting that are still on the quadratic scale.

I also think the quadratic scale is actually more immediately comprehensible for resolutions.

deadfolk

Did they ever sort out the problems with Elite Dangerous on Vive, or is it still a case of 'you just need to push the ss as high as you can to get it acceptable'?

MaDKaT

Our experience. The reflective surface needs to be pretty substantial in size. When we set up in our living area we needed to cover the TV since it was basically a 55" mirror plasma(havent tried with our new TV's anti reflection). We also have to remove our large framed pictures. For the Tv we just covered it with a type of sheer cloth that still allows people to still watch what was going on. Another issue we had wasnt so much reflective as refractive. We had crystal pull for the ceiling fan that caused some oddness. You shouldnt have to worry about your PC monitor. I have several screens in my office/VR room and it hasnt been an issue.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Detached is released on steam for HTc Vive

Anyone tried it? I am tempted
Hmm so you're a spaceman in his space suit floating around? Neat!

I think I'm gonna spend a little money on some new VR content tonight. Haven't really got anything new with the exception of those bundles.

What was that game where you pull yourself around a spaceship in zerog, I think it was shown off with the oculus hand controllers.

That game looked badass!!

Also
What the heck is this
http://store.steampowered.com/app/624610
Run, hide or fly high Use the power of your mind to be the video game hero man or misses and experience the classic retro dream through the eyes Now get money and rek time

I will definitely be flying high and reking time if you know what I mean. ;)

SimplexPL

This just in: Bartender simulator
http://store.steampowered.com/app/586020/Flairtender/

ss_b981100f3f5cb4c62b1e8c2cd96e422bf11852a6.1920x1080.jpg

Just booted up Sound Boxing for the first time in a while and one of my songs is featured. Was so confused why it had 117 plays when most of mine get 2 to 5 max lol. Kind of cool.

kinggroin

Banned
Holy fucking shit. What happened to Steam VR????

I have a legit steam home now with multiplayer toys achievement's steam interface and full customizeable furniture and environments!!!

Fuck. This shit is the most polished shit I ever seen in a VR app

kinggroin

Banned
Yoooooo, my stuff actually loads faster, cleaner, and more reliably with this gorgeous update haha. I ain't never going back to that boring holodeck trash. Plus this has workshop support anyway and the ability to teleport.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. Superhot really is the most amazing VR game. I do hope they're hard at work on a sequel. There is still a lot to be done with roomscale. What a great game, but definitely left wanting more. Will probably double dip as well.

Haven't tried out the new home interface.

Durante

I just got to try the new Beta update.
SteamVR home is great, the IQ is fantastic and it seems very polished already. Really drives home how good Source 2 is at VR rendering.

I also really like the new filtering for supersampling, makes games with bad or mediocre AA a bit more temporally stable at high supersampling factors.

Ok it loads faster than I expected (thank god)... but it is loaded in on top of everything else and underneath it it's the same as before (?).

They removed the X out of the game and placed a "Go to home" button on the left, If I exit from inside Soundboxing "logout and exit" it doesn't take me to the home and instead back to the old environment. I guess this needs a few updates until everything is working as intended.

Also, the advanced settings always crash if I try and use them... maybe there is an update, I'll have to go and look.

Durante

Today, 2 people dropped in on our Serious Sam VR TSE coop game, so we were 4 in total.

It was great fun, but clearly they were not fully prepared for what it means to play on hard in classic (that is, limited lives) mode in a later level of the game ;)

Today, 2 people dropped in on our Serious Sam VR TSE coop game, so we were 4 in total.

It was great fun, but clearly they were not fully prepared for what it means to play on hard in classic (that is, limited lives) mode in a later level of the game ;)

I still want to see if we have enough people on Gaf that own the game to be able to all join up in a 16 player match sometime :D

Really looking forward to trying out the new Steam Home thing tonight! I've been having a really weird issue where none of my workshop content is showing up. All my environments and such is missing, despite showing as subscribed in the Workshop. Anyone know what could cause this?

Cosmic Trip releases soon. I've never tried it but it seems super polished, I hope it ends up being good!

Can I buy Obduction from a place other than steam and still play it in VR?

I'm curious to see how it works.

I've bought Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes from the Humble Store, and The Solus Project from GoG. Both work with the Vive.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes automatically starts up in VR mode if SteamVR is running. The Solus Project needs to be launched with a specific command line parameter; I believe it's "steamvr" but I may be misremembering.

cakefoo

Destinations is something I never knew I wanted until Valve literally shoved it into my face as SteamVR Home.

I wasn't dying to try it- I don't have any VR friends- but I quickly found myself loving the Destinations aspect- jumping from environment to environment hunting down geocaches, playing minigames, watching musical performances by Aperture robots, and drawing a portrait for one of the characters at Ilia's Retreat. It's kind of like the Youtube of VR, and it's a perfect warmup for a VR session.

Oh, and I edited a little video of my first session. I forgot to expand the capture window so it's kind of jaggy, but it's a side-by-side VR capture so it might be cool to pop your phone into Cardboard or whatever you have.

Holy the new home is awesome. I'm really looking forward to people making awesome new environments. If you set a environment as your new home (I set the retreat one as mine) is there any way to access the interface that's in the mountain home it starts you in? It seems like if I move my home off the default then I have to go through the old Steam VR interface to access any games.

I have no idea how to access this new community, I am in the beta and just see the normal set up.

Am I being stupid?

The SteamVR Home? It should just automatically launch. When I launch SteamVR it just brings me to the new interface.

SimplexPL

I just got to try the new Beta update.
I also really like the new filtering for supersampling,
You mean the option called "Enable Advanced Supersample Filtering"?

makes games with bad or mediocre AA a bit more temporally stable at high supersampling factors.

Any specific worst offenders that show marked improvement? I remember arizona sunshine being pretty jaggy even with supersampling at 1.5 (old scale [quadratic?], still not used to the new linear one :) but it makes sense in the long run - it quickly show how many more pixels is being rendered - 2.0 is twice the pixels. ).

kinggroin

Banned
Any way to make Battlezone not shimmer like a bitch? Even maxed in-game super sampling with AA (or even without), the game is soft and shimmery.

Shoyz

SteamVR Home is a dream come true. A homespace with unlockable customizable, colorable and resizable objects/furniture, so cool.

I can already easily picture the "Buy Deluxe Edition of 'game' and unlock this exclusive toy in SteamVR Home" promos. The unlockables are already integrated into Inventories and are Markettable. Or getting cool unlockables as achievements in games, real (virtual) trophies.

Being able to jump into random people's lobbies is super cool, as is the weekly geocaches for continual content. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this because it's already amazing.

chekhonte

I've bought Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes from the Humble Store, and The Solus Project from GoG. Both work with the Vive.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes automatically starts up in VR mode if SteamVR is running. The Solus Project needs to be launched with a specific command line parameter; I believe it's "steamvr" but I may be misremembering.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

chekhonte

SteamVR Home is a dream come true. A homespace with unlockable customizable, colorable and resizable objects/furniture, so cool.

I can already easily picture the "Buy Deluxe Edition of 'game' and unlock this exclusive toy in SteamVR Home" promos. The unlockables are already integrated into Inventories and are Markettable. Or getting cool unlockables as achievements in games, real (virtual) trophies.

Being able to jump into random people's lobbies is super cool, as is the weekly geocaches for continual content. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this because it's already amazing.

I'd buy it if it offered more than just a doll house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom