• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

Spazznid

ibulQS8f7bRIwa.png

iNASrcvF4uI0P.png

I dont have a problem with re-skins or texture packs. But when you are messing around with the art and textures of HL2 you are messing around with perfection.

Spazznid

I like it.

Nowhere near as perfect as the original, but as I said, it's great fun for me.

iblNIUSmN47Snc.png

idhQRuzBNaOOC.png

This is my favorite version of Alyx from him. Also, it installs beside HL2, not over it. You want original Alyx, you can choose it.

epmode

Almost every change in that ridiculous mod is a downgrade except for the purely technical stuff. On the plus side, it's hard to find a more apt demonstration of good art over technical trash.

Sometimes I think the mod is a joke or parody but it's been in development for so long!

Watevaman

The thing about FF isn't that he's doing it in his free time, it's that he doesn't seem to realize how terrible his methods are. As a former texture artist, it makes me scream inside how terrible he is at actual texture work. The last good textures in the mod came from V3 or so, before he started really making everything a 4096^2 texture and not giving a shit about how it tiles or if the textures actually fit the environment.

I love what he's doing with the maps, but his models and texture work are still terrible. Not to mention he barely does any of the stuff himself it seems. Most of his textures are stock images with minor changes and his models look to still be Poser models.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hawken - decided to not disable the grain filter since it fits oddly enough...

hawkengame-win32-ship99ufr.png

hawkengame-win32-ship87uqv.png

Tzeentch

The last good textures in the mod came from V3 or so, before he started really making everything a 4096^2
The mod is a mess because the guy just throws huge textures and features at everything, even when it looks godawful, doesn't tile properly, looks janky as hell on the terrible low-poly original HL2 props, and so on. If he spent half the time re-working some of the godawful HL2 basic models as he does on variations of semi-nude Alyx he would be a hero of the community.

Well his hi res vanilla Alyx model was pretty good, but most people don't know it's an option because...well he doesn't really tell you it is, Last time I ever messed with his mod was CM10 and the only thing I changed were the high polygon vanilla models, everything else was just too much for me.

I see he changed his Adrianna Lima model, I'm not even sure who she's modeled after now, but at least she looks like she's black.

I'll just stick to vanilla HL2. His textures are hit and miss

The mod is like taking a famous/beautiful painting and smearing a frothing mixture of dog shit all over it. It hurts. The mod is brownbloombrowngraybrownsexywomenznextgen taken to the highest degree. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
iR4PTZP00OGmt.png

i8cTLbPhRdQO8.png

Realtime reflections are sexier than Alyx, though...

Alright for real that mod makes the game looks ridiculously stupid.

Alyx looked like a real human being in the original HL2, and that floors look like they're trying to emulate realism in the most unrealistic way.

It just looks super goofy in a really weird way.

Spazznid

Alright for real that mod makes the game looks ridiculously stupid.

Alyx looked like a real human being in the original HL2, and that floors look like they're trying to emulate realism in the most unrealistic way.

It just looks super goofy in a really weird way.

I love it!

Sethos

Banned
What's up with that HL2 mod and what is up with that Alyx remodelling? That is just about the most vile and disgusting mod I've ever seen.

Also, was the BF3 lens dirt always there or did he think that was a brilliant thing to add as well?

Looks like an elaborate troll job.

Spazznid

What's up with that HL2 mod and what is up with that Alyx remodelling? That is just about the most vile and disgusting mod I've ever seen.

Also, was the BF3 lens dirt always there or did he think that was a brilliant thing to add as well?

Looks like an elaborate troll job.

I love it!

MrBig

I died inside a little when SOE added this to PS2 :/
At least it's implemented better than in BF3 and the other games that do it, only appears under certain circumstances and only at the peripherals of the screen

Sethos

Banned
At least it's implemented better than in BF3 and the other games that do it, only appears under certain circumstances and only at the peripherals of the screen

It's not even that I dislike the effect, full stop. When added properly and in certain situations it can look quite good, however when it's added with a shovel and starts to impair my gameplay then it's just straight up annoying. Battlefield 3 is however the master sinner with all that dirt and flare which is quite distracting in a fast paced, borderline twitch FPS. Think it's like most effects these days, developers just overuse them completely - Sun shafts / 'god rays' come to mind.

Spazznid

While I agree that CM for HL2 is way overdone, he did make it a realtime reflection of light emitted towards the screen. Kinda wish it was implemented this way more often.

It really sucks to have a difference of opinion here, eh? Enb with skyrim, Enb with Zyrusticae's Guild Wars, Aspect Ratio, Etc. Some People seem to think everything is or should be the way they want it to be...

Also here's some comparison shots for your spiteful pleasure.
No HD Characters, No Dust, No Vignette, No Color Grading.

You can turn off more, but meh. I'm not so sensitive to difference.

iwjWrrE3Arg3i.png

i945nWA44WWvV.png

Spazznid

irZmd1SEBwJfj.png

I love Half-Life and the original Models/aesthetics...
But I'm not trying to play it. I have the actual game for that....

I download and play Cinematic Mod to play Cinematic Mod. Every time he releases a new version. I go back and play through to see what he's done. I don't care if people think he's raped the original game. This isn't meant to be like the Half-Life 2 that Valve made. I love both. They are both entirely different experiences...

Spazznid

So because everyone dislikes it, you feel it's a bigger incentive to post a million pictures?

Nah, because:

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread...

I like what I see so maybe someone else does.

I don't strictly post based on other's feedback. I do because I can.

I very much dislike some of the stuff posted here, but this thread isn't for debating aesthetics, art, personal taste, etc.

If anything, we're to discuss how High-Res these PC Screenshots are...

(BTW, how did you get that impression from my statement?)

Sethos

Banned
(BTW, how did you get that impression from my statement?)

Because usually it's not common tone in the 2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread to plaster an entire page with the same crap - No matter what game it is. It happens when a new game is released or a game gets its 15 minutes and several people post but one guy posting something like 20 screenshots and every time someone talks bad about it, you want to spite them and post 4 pictures in some sort of rebel act.

Everything in here is welcome when it fits the bill, not everyone is going to like everything but when most people seem to hate it AND you post like 20 screenshots of that shit one a single page, you know you're pushing it. We've seen it now.

Merry Christmas.

Spazznid

Because usually it's not common tone in the 2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread to plaster an entire page with the same crap - No matter what game it is. It happens when a new game is released or a game gets its 15 minutes and several people post but one guy posting something like 20 screenshots and every time someone talks bad about it, you want to spite them and post 4 pictures in some sort of rebel act.

Everything in here is welcome when it fits the bill, not everyone is going to like it but when most people seem to hate it AND you post like 20 screenshots of that shit, you know you're pushing it.

I post when I have.

I have no more for now. Which is because I was playing Eureka Seven and UT2004.

I can understand the whole posting a lot of one thing, though. I'll try to tone back on that. I just took a lot of shots that I liked.

Top Bottom