• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every rollercoaster built from now on should use a LIM (or similar) launch system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Chain/Cable lifts are so 20th century.

Xcelerator at Knotts, Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point, and Kinda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure use a hydraulic catapult launch system. Good, it doesn't use a chain. Basically it's what it sounds like. Hydraulic motors operate what is basically a catapult to launch the trains to very high speeds.

But when that's not cool enough, why not use Maglev train technology?

Five coasters so far have been built using this launch technology:
Superman the Escape (Magic Mountain not really a "rollercoaster", more of just a launch/freefall ride)
Tower of Terror (Dreamworld in AU. Same as Superman, just a reverse freefall)
Xpress (in the Netherlands, uses the same ride layout as Rock n' Roller Coaster)
California Screamin' (Disney's California Adventure)
Rock N' Roller Coaster (Disney-MGM Studios Florida and Walt Disney Studios Paris)

California Screamin'
California_Screamin_Launch.jpg

califscrmloopcm2.jpg

californiascreaming6cv3.jpg

Xpress (Rock N' Roller coaster is the same layout, but indoors):
supermantheride8gh3.jpg

Superman the Escape:
supermantheescape3zj2.jpg

Instead of using hydraulic motors and cables to catapult the cars, the LIM system is basically the same as what is used in Maglev trains and thus means it has no moving parts at all to launch the trains. They're fired off using electro-magnetic propulsion extremely quickly.

In the case of Screamin' the trains launch and go 0-60 right up the first hill. They even use LIMs again at the top of the largest hill, which means you have a completely seamless transition from the track to the final lift. You don't even hear the cars being lifted up to the last drop that sends it through the inversion.

ManaByte

Gold Member
White Man said:
No thanks. It's neat, but I wouldn't want it everywhere. Part of the charm of coasters is the variety.

Chain lifts are loud and slow. LIM = fast and smooth ride.

Of all thsoe Ive only been on Rock and Roll. It was a fun ride, although I noticed the fast launch + atmosphere more than the traction. Of course, since theres loud ROCK AND ROLL I did not notice how loud the roller coaster was.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I suspect you're understating the number of coasters that use this, although I've only visited a couple parks. Batman & Robin: The Chiller opened with this in '97/98 at Six Flags Great Adventure, although apparently the ride has recently been shut down due to mechanical problems.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dan said:
I suspect you're understating the number of coasters that use this, although I've only visited a couple parks. Batman & Robin: The Chiller opened with this in '97/98 at Six Flags Great Adventure, although apparently the ride has recently been shut down due to mechanical problems.

Batman & Robin closed in June. One of the trains stopped after the zero-G roll. I'm not sure if there's a break there but the most common issue with the LIM coasters are the breaking systems. The launching system itself rarely has problems. It's the many, and complex, braking spots that usually cause the most issues. That's what shut down Screamin' for a couple months last year and is what is causing a multi-month refurb this fall.

Bloodwake

White Man said:
No thanks. It's neat, but I wouldn't want it everywhere. Part of the charm of coasters is the variety.

QFT.

A unique rollercoaster experience is always appreciated, and if they start using the same technology everywhere, then this can't be found.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bloodwake said:
QFT.

A unique rollercoaster experience is always appreciated, and if they start using the same technology everywhere, then this can't be found.

Up until now every coaster built used a chain (or cable) lift and there wasn't any complaints about them not being unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom