• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Ambient80

Am I correct in assuming that Cersei has used the last of the Dragonfire at this point? I look forward to seeing the events unfold in King’s Landing this season!

Speevy

Banned
Am I correct in assuming that Cersei has used the last of the Dragonfire at this point? I look forward to seeing the events unfold in King’s Landing this season!

There is wildfire under everything unless they moved it all to burn the sept. Although the way Tyrion described it the wildfire should have burned up the entire city.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Last year, they killed off every character we had either forgotten about or who needed to be usurped.

This year, they kill off everyone who is not needed in the great battle against the whitewalkers that is sure to happen in season 8.

My predictions:

-Theon
-Yara
-Euron
-Olenna Tyrell
-Jaime Lannister
-The Sand Snakes including Ellaria
-All the Night's Watch
-Littlefinger
-Tormund
-The Mountain
-The Hound
-Beric Dondarrion
-Grey Worm

Here's my tally (before the final episode of S6) of S6 death predictions. Feel like I had a good amount of correct hits. Added on all 4 of my predictions that hadn't happened, as well as adding in "All Freys" as in "the ones we know about, which means 3 of them." Did miss on the main Sparrow guy and Margery.

Lets see how my S7 prediction will turn out:
Littlefinger
Pod
Yara
Melissandre
All the Sands/Dorne
Olenna (I'm going to be right one of these days)
Euron
Bronn :(
Beric
Thoros
Jorah
Brienne
The Mountain (again)
Qyburn
Grey Worm
Sam's asshole Dad
All the Night's Watch (come on, Edd mah boy, make it out of there ok :( )

Really unsure on these 2, as they're probably huge, and I'm back and forth on:
Cersei
Sansa

Cersei has so many enemies on her plate, and she's in a gigantic corner, but are the White Walkers "enough" on their own to be the end villains, or does the show still need Cersei.

Sansa's trailer speech makes me think red herring with Jon being shown, but the statement has to mean something. Of the "4" Starks left, she still has the smallest job, being that she'd be mostly connected in storyline to Cersei and Littlefinger. Jon at this point is the co-lead and has a bunch of "dynasty armor" on him, Bran has the entire lore on his plate for the final season, and Arya is the Closer who has more people to kill before she's done.

I feel these people to be in the final season:
Tyrion
Jamie
Jon
Daenerys
Bran
Arya
Davos or WE RIOT
The Hound (so we can get Wolf and Cub part Deux)
Sam and Gilly (so someone innocent can survive, if only to be crushed to death in the series finale)
Missendei
Varys
Theon
Tormund (Royally aggro from losing his fair Sapphire Lady)
Ghost the Dog

I'm sure there are plenty of other characters I'm forgetting, but those seem to be the main ones around, that I know of. Unsure of if there are any characters with surprise returns (like more of the Faceless guy who might be Jaqen, Hot Pie, The Boy who Rows to become a Man, Original and New Daario, or that other Red Priestess that melted Varys soul).

Feels like I cut half the cast, and maybe that's what they need to do for a 6 episode finale. GRRM always said it wasn't going to be a happy ending, right?

gutshot

Last season was great, except I'm still salty over what they did to my boy Euron. I wanted the creepy mofo from the books, dammit!

mantidor

Clearly, without the books as a detailed roadmap, the showrunners just have some bullet point list of things from GRRM and they lack the chops to really glue all those plot points together like you had in Seasons 1-4. I just have a hard time thinking that the last 2 books which will likely be enormous tomes, don't have enough material to merit more than 14 episodes. There likely is, its just that the showrunners want out now that the blueprint of the books has dried up.

This is absolutely the case, it's painfully evident in how the seasons are just weaker and weaker, and the strong parts are the obvious bullet points Martin passed to D&D.

I disagree about the number of seasons though, 7 books, 7 seasons, the plan made sense if the last two books had been published on time.

NeoGiff

Last season was great, except I'm still salty over what they did to my boy Euron. I wanted the creepy mofo from the books, dammit!

Apparently they've completely revamped his character in both personality and appearance for this season (not that that's a good thing), so we could be in luck going forward. Fingers crossed!

A few recent items:

- Time: Game of Thrones: How They Make the World's Most Popular Show (lengthy cover article)
- Watchers: Game of Thrones Season 7 Trailer from Greece Shows Completely New Footage! (few snippets that are different than the US trailers)
- WiCnet: George R.R. Martin discusses the differences between Game of Thrones and The Winds of Winter
- TV Guide: Inside 'Game of Thrones' and Season 7's Brewing War
- Buzzfeed: The "Game Of Thrones" Cast Thought Up Their Own Spinoff Shows

Apparently they've completely revamped his character in both personality and appearance for this season (not that that's a good thing), so we could be in luck going forward. Fingers crossed!
Yeah, here's the blurb from EW on his makeover.

jett

D-Member
Season 6 is good in the sense that stuff just happens and you have so much spectacle and production value in everything. But my one qualm with the show is how they just seem to fast forwarding everything now to wrap this up in 13 episodes or whatever they shooting for. Clearly, without the books as a detailed roadmap, the showrunners just have some bullet point list of things from GRRM and they lack the chops to really glue all those plot points together like you had in Seasons 1-4. I just have a hard time thinking that the last 2 books which will likely be enormous tomes, don't have enough material to merit more than 14 episodes. There likely is, its just that the showrunners want out now that the blueprint of the books has dried up.

Despite what they've said, I wonder if they actually have any concrete post-ADWD information from GRRM. I doubt it. Season 5 was complete garbage, the kind of thing you make when you have no idea what you're doing. They brought it back with S6 though, thankfully. Without having to adapt anything from anywhere I expect a speedy path towards an actual conclusion, with little meandering.

Aurongel

Despite what they've said, I wonder if they actually have any concrete post-ADWD information from GRRM. I doubt it. Season 5 was complete garbage, the kind of thing you make when you have no idea what you're doing. They brought it back with S6 though, thankfully. Without having to adapt anything from anywhere I expect a speedy path towards an actual conclusion, with little meandering.
They know all the major beats but not the nuances of how they get there. Rest assured that some of the biggest events in S6 will be in TWoW. GRRM has said as much.

RaidenZR

That's figgin' weird.

So, like a Daario-esque pressing of the reset button? Just using the same actor this time? Hope we at least get an eye patch. Seemed fucking weird we didn't last season and it would have been an easy way to differentiate the Greyjoys when a new one appears on a darkly-lit bridge.

Moff

I'm certain GRRM told them everything he knew. which might not be a lot and might change in the process of actually writing it, or they might change it for the show (most certainly both has happened/will happen). but I am sure he told them everything he knew at the time. nothing else would make sense.

Six days and just over six hours, I'm up in this OT's guts!

Winds of Winter announcement is also coming soon, right? ... Right?

The GRRM comment:
WINDS will be different in some ways, but will parallel the show in others. At this point, there are probably a dozen characters who are dead on the show but alive in the books, so it would be impossible for the two to remain the same. (Also, of course, there are characters in the books who have never even existed on the show, like Victarion Greyjoy, Jon Connington, Penny, Arianne Martell... )

Moff

euron was such a lame character anyway, just like book roose he was a comic book character that never fit the world
not that show euron was any good, I doubt they can improve him much

Moff

My boy Davos better survive this season.

I can see Davos dying in the books early, but not in the show, if he was supposed to die they pull(ed) a Jaqen/Bronn on him. Liam Cunnigham is too important for the show. The younglings need a reasonable old man to pull them together.

My List of character that won't die this season:
- Jaime
- Davos
more to come

Speevy

Banned
Davos has to survive. With Littlefinger and Varys tied up, he's the only one who can narrate the story and give speeches to people for no reason.

Speevy

Banned
euron was such a lame character anyway, just like book roose he was a comic book character that never fit the world
not that show euron was any good, I doubt they can improve him much

From the trailers, it looks like Euron is on screen more than any other "guest" character.

I look forward to seeing whether they'll make him more interesting or just drown him in set pieces.

Speevy

Banned
I've been thinking about a logical place for the show to move after this point since they're building up to the big season 8 showdown with the army of the dead and the whitewalkers.

Hear me out.

Dany has wanted to rule ever since she found people who would follow her, and she feels like she belongs in King's Landing.

Jon has never wanted to rule but obviously, they're revealing his Targaryen heritage and potentially making him someone who could lay a claim. Of course, he would not pursue power but instead support Dany's claim.

What if in order to defeat the whitewalkers, or Cersei, or both, Dany has to sacrifice herself and her army?

Think about it. It's the perfect change from her history of conquest, conquest, conquest, ruling, conquest, conquest.

She realizes that in order to save the seven kingdoms, she has to give up the one thing she has always wanted, which puts Jon on the throne.

Turin

Banned
I'm on the fence about how I want Littlefinger to bite it. Cersei too.

There should be some assholes left to shit themselves when the Long Night comes.

Speevy

Banned
I'm on the fence about how I want Littlefinger to bite it. Cersei too.

There should be some assholes left to shit themselves when the Long Night comes.

Littlefinger should die like that scene in The Lion King when the hyenas kill Scar. He pisses off one character too many.

Interesting - thanks for posting.

It is incredible how little can be inferred from that. It's basically just "some differences, some similarities," which is as close to a nothing comment as you get. It's difficult for me to interpret this comment as suggesting more similarity or dissimilarity, frankly.

I wish he would have given a little more specificity on which way TWOW will lean...

jett

D-Member
This has to be the season where all the two-bit bad guys bite it to make way for the true villain of the show.

5795551-3925112083-night.gif

Gigglepoo

I just hope one of the main characters dies. It doesn't feel like there are real stakes anymore. They've been killing off B and C-tier characters the last two seasons and it's become a bit predictible.

Hopefully, Jamie dies after killing Cercei. My guess is that Littlefinger will be the biggest death, though, and he's not even relevant anymore.

Speevy

Banned
I just hope one of the main characters dies. It doesn't feel like there are real stakes anymore. They've been killing off B and C-tier characters the last two seasons and it's become a bit predictible.

Hopefully, Jamie dies after killing Cercei. My guess is that Littlefinger will be the biggest death, though, and he's not even relevant anymore.

Or maybe Cersei kills Jaime and is all like "Haha the prophecy didn't come true!" and Tyrion comes up behind her and strangles her.

venom2124

Can someone please post the original gilly photo used in the op. I'm curious why there were a few comments asking for it to be changed. Was the actress dressed in street clothes?

venom2124

9TNse72.jpg

Same one as the S6 OT
lol that's great.
I'm beyond excited for the season. I must have rewatched last season's finale 5 times in the past few months. My question is how does cersei survive more than a couple episodes? How does Dany not completely steamroll her early on? Or maybe she does die quickly and HBO has been hinting that with all the white walker advertising. Time for the night's king to shine. Bring on the ice spiders the size of hounds.

I've been thinking about a logical place for the show to move after this point since they're building up to the big season 8 showdown with the army of the dead and the whitewalkers.

Hear me out.

Dany has wanted to rule ever since she found people who would follow her, and she feels like she belongs in King's Landing.

Jon has never wanted to rule but obviously, they're revealing his Targaryen heritage and potentially making him someone who could lay a claim. Of course, he would not pursue power but instead support Dany's claim.

What if in order to defeat the whitewalkers, or Cersei, or both, Dany has to sacrifice herself and her army?

Think about it. It's the perfect change from her history of conquest, conquest, conquest, ruling, conquest, conquest.

She realizes that in order to save the seven kingdoms, she has to give up the one thing she has always wanted, which puts Jon on the throne.
I won't rule anything out. It's possible it was set up in house of undying vision when she went North of the wall and found Drogo and baby. It makes sense.

Patriots7

Change this persons tag please.

Season 6 was fantastic.

Just binged season 1 with the gf this past weekend. Going to watch 9 and 10 of 6 this Sunday.

Hype hype hype.
Fantastic. Lol.
Season 6 was average at best. I mean, compared to the abomination of Season 5, I guess it was somewhat good.

Oh God, the shitty Northern storyline. I had almost forgotten. I don't know why they had to ruin my favorite book storyline. Jesus.

NeoGiff

That's figgin' weird.

So, like a Daario-esque pressing of the reset button? Just using the same actor this time?

That's quite an appropriate analogy. I'm spitballing here, but I'm guessing it's due to them not planning out arcs and characters fully in advance. They had the advantage of the connective tissue of the books to fall back on before, but since season 5 (arguably season 4), they've been falling more and more into a pattern of awkwardly having to write themselves out of situations whose constraints they hadn't anticipated.

It's easy to point and shout hyperbole at D&D, but I don't envy them the task. There are so many moving pieces in GoT, and this particular board is such that moving one piece can (should?) have a massive snowball effect further down the line. It's simply impossible to keep everything and everyone in mind when writing on a year-to-year basis against the clock.

They've proven that their forté is adapting material and following a set of guideposts as they bring the written word to the screen. Now, however, they unfortunately have to continuously scramble to get characters out of situations that have grown in unexpected ways since the characters entered them, without any previously established backup plans-via-books to fall back on. Guys like Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould thrive on this particular kind of work, but D&D don't. And that's not their fault, they just seem to have been out of their comfort zone for the last few years, and unfortunately for us, it shows.

Top Bottom