• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

SomTervo

This and Skyrim are going to move a lot of units, I have no doubts.

Skyrim and Minecraft on the Switch and Fallout 4 in VR...

2017 be a heck of a year

They could have easily done the following:

autojump like the mobile version
Lstick - move
clickLstick - sprint
face buttons to move your view (maybe even with a bit of gyro for good measure
plus/minus for crafting menu/ pause menu
L trigger place block
R trigger use/ dig

Not impossible, not the best way to play, but it would totally work

So not "easily" at all. Sounds borderline unplayable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've never played minecraft, but I'm getting this one.

What do I do once I get it?

Start by surviving a night IMO. Build a hovel to survive the first night. Then build a nice shack for night 2. Build a medieval castle for night 3.

Monsters come at night.

My tip for very early game - charcoal. Usual guides and let's play videos go searching for coal to make torches (so you can see when you're hiding in a hastily dug hole in the ground on your first night. But often you won't find coal immediately. Charcoal can be made by burning a lump of wood in a furnace and that can be used to make torches (and also fuel the furnace more efficiently).

All you need is a furnace which needs some stone, and to get stone you need a pick which you can make from wood initially (can then make a stone one which is faster and lasts longer)

lol, didn't even know this was coming, now I'm topping up my eShop wallet in anticipation.

I feel like I would buy anything just to have it on the Switch. RE4 Switch Edition when?

LoSnupo

Ok, come on... i have played Minecraft on every device i have so i don't need this.
But... but... it's the SuperMario edition!!!!!
Sold!!!
I'm a very bad person :(

Litri

So, definitive version or wat? Might have to consider it, I have been playing on PC for the past two years.

jariw

So, definitive version or wat? Might have to consider it, I have been playing on PC for the past two years.

Definitive portable/console hybrid version. PC will always be the definitive version, with the mod support, all the custom servers, etc.

MTC100

Banned
After reading the topic again: It's pretty interesting to see Microsoft being the only First Party Developer in history with a console in the race, to release a game on the competing consoles. They also did that with some Rare games for the NDS but that wasn't really a competing platform back then.

I am still surprised Microsoft bought the Minecraft Franchise and I still wonder if their immense investment will pay off for them in the end. -But I guess companies of that size have to throw around with their money sometimes...

Are realms coming to console versions eventually then?
The only time I played Minecraft was in the very early days on a private server with a few friends. The persistent world and coop was the thing I enjoyed most about it, and playing on my own or only when the person with the save file online really doesn't seem as appealing.

Cerium

After reading the topic again: It's pretty interesting to see Microsoft being the only First Party Developer in history with a console in the race, to release a game on the competing consoles. They also did that with some Rare games for the NDS but that wasn't really a competing platform back then.

I am still surprised Microsoft bought the Minecraft Franchise and I still wonder if their immense investment will pay off for them in the end. -But I guess companies of that size have to throw around with their money sometimes...

They're also supporting Switch before Capcom, EA, Activision, and most major third parties.

Ninja Dom

Don't understand why people want a physical copy of a 500MB game that will see a bunch of patches so that what's on the game card isn't even the full game anymore. Never played it before, but minecraft seems like the perfect "always on your system" game.

I saw this on the eShop. 500MB is all it initially takes. Quite crazy isn't it? But I bet save files are huge.

ASIS

Can we talk about sales here? I looked up the OP but it says nothing about not being able to discuss it. Apologies if this details the thread in advance lol.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Why is this game digital only at launch? and do you think this will affect its overall performance?

2. How big do you think this will be?

I have to admit I have no interest in Minecraft but the phenomena surrounding it is simply fascinating. Since Switch also fascinates me, I really want to know your opinions.

Oregano

Can we talk about sales here? I looked up the OP but it says nothing about not being able to discuss it. Apologies if this details the thread in advance lol.

1. Why is this game digital only at launch? and do you think this will affect its overall performance?

I have to admit I have no interest in Minecraft but the phenomena surrounding it is simply fascinating. Since Switch also fascinates me, I really want to know your opinions.

Minecraft always releases digital first. They probably manage to snag some double dippers that way.

MTC100

Banned
They're also supporting Switch before Capcom, EA, Activision, and most major third parties.

I am certain EA is already preparing to port their sports games over as we speak though, wasn't there a NBA game shown in the Switch 3 minute reveal trailer? They would be incredible stupid not to port their library to the system after it has proven to be very successful. Capcom will definitely bring Monster Hunter to the Switch, perhaps even a new one(along with a 3DS version). But yes, it's kinda funny Capcom couldn't manage to bring a Streetfighter game to the Switch at launch and having MS to release their big IP even before it.

mcrommert

Banned
Mmh, so I suppose you won't be able to play with PC players ? Locally it would have been cool for my family.

Microsoft is working to unite the console versions with the pocket (phone, set top box) and win 10 uwp versions. Xbox one is happening first this year and then... We don't know. Wouldn't buy it counting on that though

Perona

One part of me is like "Good portable minecraft!" but the other is like "...without the mods that make the game enjoyable for you"

Flintty

Is this gonna be what makes me try Minecraft? Lol maybe

It's worth a look. People talk about creative mode being like virtual Lego but it's the adventure mode which keeps me and my family playing.

Waiting for the Zelda mashup pack before buying for the Switch.

Never played Minecraft before but I'm tempted to get this. I'm admittedly not the most creative of people (which seems to be the whole point of the game) so I'll have to see some footage before taking the plunge, though.

Flintty

Never played Minecraft before but I'm tempted to get this. I'm admittedly not the most creative of people (which seems to be the whole point of the game) so I'll have to see some footage before taking the plunge, though.

You don't have to be too creative for adventure mode. It helps but you can survive in a mud hut just as well as you would a castle.

You will build a castle though ;)

Scrawnton

Downloading this the moment I get home from work. I've loved minecraft in the past on consoles but I really wanted a handheld version. I was gonna bite on Wii U last year but that's when the rumors started about Switch seriously being a hybrid, so I waited.

Flintty

What would seal the deal would be if I could work on my Xbox world on the Switch via Realms. I don't need cross platform play (though it would be nice) but being able to carry on with my world on the go would be stunning.

I always tried to play Minecraft but literally stopped just a few minutes in each time. It felt a little too overwhelming, which sounds kind of embarrassing, considering the game is consumed mostly by younger folk. Is the game basically just a day simulator?

Cru Jones

They have billions of dollars off shore that would cost a LOT to repatriate back to the United States. A foreign acquisition really made sense from a financial standpoint.

Ninja Dom

Minecraft always releases digital first. They probably manage to snag some double dippers that way.

Oh really?

That's... an interesting strategy, to say the least.

And remember that the game is only a 500MB download on the Switch. So much quicker & easier to get the game up on the eShop than getting Nintendo to manufacture game cartridges and prepare for a rushed physical release.

jonno394

Just found out that this is £19.99 in the UK eShop, finally we're getting something much cheaper than others (Puyo Puyo and Bomberman were more expensive in the UK than other areas)!

I might buy this just because of the low price!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just found out that this is £19.99 in the UK eShop, finally we're getting something much cheaper than others (Puyo Puyo and Bomberman were more expensive in the UK than other areas)!

I might buy this just because of the low price!
Time to make an uk account 😂😂😂

m00h

Banned
I'll get this as soon as I get a Switch later this year. I'm gonna introduce my gf to gaming with the Switch and Minecraft. It's probably the best opportunity, since we only need one console to play together and we can play with each other building some nice stuff. Looking forward to that.

I always avoided Minecraft stuff like the plague, but got the WiiU version and liked it very much! Music and the overall atmosphere is very well done. Just playing survival and exploring "my" world.
Wouldn't buy retail so you can always play for a few minutes without switching carts.
I'll get the Switch version for sure!

deleted

My hope is a more optimized version for physical release, when the digital release is further patched. Maybe bigger realms, higher draw distance, stuff like that, that might be patched in down the road.

30 bucks? I remember when it was like $7 for the alpha version. What is the going rate on other platforms? Also, the draw distance is concerning to me. How big can the worlds get in this version? Nothing worse then hitting walls in Minecraft.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Idk if there were maps when you played or if you remember how much ground the maps covered, but if im correct it should be big enough to fill 24 maps.

Looking at the update history, the last time I played was back around August of 2010 - fishing was not in the game last I played, and that was added in Alpha 1.1.1

So 24 "maps" is pretty big? I guess I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not going to feel restricted playing this. That being said, I'm not sure I know what Minecraft even is anymore, ha. I remember when resident GAF member Butzopower introduced me to the game when it was a browser based thing, only.

AAAAaaaa. I hate that we have to wait even longer for the Switch version, it's only a 10 hour wait though. I can occupy myself with other things though. :O

I'm really surprised that I'm excited to buy/play this, but taking it on the go sounds too appealing. That combined with the Mario content I missed from the Wii-U version make this an easy purchase for me. Now I just need to send Nintendo my JoyCon so they can fix them. In the meantime I'll be limited to playing in docked/tabletop mode with a Pro Controller...

Smaller. It's in between the size of the PS3/Wii u and the PS4/xb1

Wait am I reading the press release right?! It doesn't release until 9pm EST today?! What the heck is up with that!

Man, I was looking forward to downloading and playing during my lunch. BS.

Top Bottom