• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic making unannounced competitive online action game w/ itemization/dynamic economy

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This doesn't exactly sound like it's in the same vein as Gears of War.

This is for Epic North Carolina specifically.

Epic Games said:
Overview:

Would you like to be responsible for designing the systems that will be integral to the success of one of our next great games? Work with a small team taking a new project from pre-production through release or jumping into a project already in development? Work with the tools and technology that are shaping the next generation of games? Or maybe be a part of creating something Epic? If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions we would like to talk to you about joining our team, where everything we do is Epic.

Epic Games is looking for a Systems Designers to join one of two projects. One of the teams is working on an unannounced competitive online action game that includes player progression, heavy itemization, and a dynamic economy; the other is for Fortnite. In either of these roles you’ll be working on the biggest most important systems and will have a hand in designing everything from economics and itemization to balancing combat mechanics. You’ll be responsible for general design, balance, rules, interface, etc. and will play an integral role in defining the outcome of the project.
Qualifications:

The ideal candidate will have the following:

Passion for game and systems design, and the desire to work with the biggest data sets possible
Experience and Passion for building and/or playing Shooters, MMO’s, RPG’s, or RTS games
Excellent math and analytical skills
Ability to work well within a team environment
5 plus years in a design role
Demonstrated experience with advancement, itemization and progression based systems
Experience developing best practices on building scalable and maintainable systems and be comfortable educating others as to their value
Experience with competitive multiplayer balance a plus
Source: https://jobs-epicgames.icims.com/jobs/1233/job

Lunchbox

Banned
4 maps
20$ season pass for the other 2
60$ worth of weapon skins

"ill be back"

7X5V02K.jpg

Mupod

Please be Unreal Tournament 4!!!

oh god please no.

I mean I want a UT4 but not with grinding and levelups and equipment. I'm 100% perfectly fine with a halo reach/dota 2 kinda system, but I want level playing fields in my UT.

oh god please no.

I mean I want a UT4 but not with grinding and levelups and equipment. I'm 100% perfectly fine with a halo reach/dota 2 kinda system, but I want level playing fields in my UT.

The horror haha.
Oh man I don't even want to think about what a modern quake or UT would look like
filling bars, I'm sure they'd shoehorn ADS in there , microtransactions, having to pay for map packs, no mod support, matchmaking lAQ>DFSSdH Arg it's making me rage just imagining it.

KOHIPEET

A new UT with built in TAM mode would be nice for sure, but it's unlikely.

Anyway I would welcome anything they make, as long as it is coming for ps4.

BHK3

Banned
I swear to jazz jackrabbit if they touch my UT with this F2P tablet microtransaction hat bullshit...

You would think that after all the money Epic makes through their Unreal Engine licensing business, they would be in such an enviable and favourable position that they would be much more inclined than most devs to branch out of the industry shooter staples and do something genuinely innovative and creative.

Epic is clearly in a position that very few developers find themselves. I just think its a bit of a travesty that don't seem to take any risks, and just seem to go along with all the major industry trends like micro-transactions at the like. I suppose they ARE a business, and like valve and Crytek, they have seen that other areas outside of making games are less risky and present greater potential rewards or investment returns. Its a bit of a shame really.

I really loved the original Unreal, as well as Unreal 2. Gears 1 was awesome too, but I didn't enjoy the sequels. That other thing they announced a fair way back, just seemed entirely uninteresting to someone like me.

I really hope that Epic can just show a little ambition, and leverage the benefits of their current position in the industry by taking more creative risks with the kinds of games they make.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The ideal candidate will have the following:

Passion for game and systems design, and the desire to work with the biggest data sets possible
Experience and Passion for building and/or playing Shooters, MMO’s, RPG’s, or RTS games
Excellent math and analytical skills
Ability to work well within a team environment
5 plus years in a design role
Demonstrated experience with advancement, itemization and progression based systems
Experience developing best practices on building scalable and maintainable systems and be comfortable educating others as to their value
Experience with competitive multiplayer balance a plus

How many people on earth would actually qualify as an ideal candidate?

The horror haha.
Oh man I don't even want to think about what a modern quake or UT would look like
filling bars, I'm sure they'd shoehorn ADS in there , microtransactions, having to pay for map packs, no mod support, matchmaking lAQ>DFSSdH Arg it's making me rage just imagining it.

100% this. Parts of me are twitching involuntarily. Don't let this be UT.

Ushae

Banned
I was wondering what these guys were upto, would have thought given their relationship with MS they would have another exclusive in the works.

Online, progressive shooter sounds more like an MMO version of Borderlands. Isn't Destiny doing this as well? Wow every game is 'connected' these days.

XenodudeX

I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's a FPS since that's all what Epic and a lot of other devs seems to be capable of doing. :/

Forkball

Aren't they making some F2P shooter for the Chinese market? Perhaps it could be referencing that since I don't think it was officially announced for NA?

Top Bottom