• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Racism is as American as Baseball" -

Difference between a shameless, self-aware racist and one that actually describes themselves using that word. They tend to prefer other terms. And, yeah, I've never met the latter.

I'm just a nigga, though, ion know everything.

Lovely for you I guess. I'm related to the latter. It's pretty fucking frustrating.

The issue with the message is that it can be understood as championing a society that accepts or embrace racism and that it's a normal aspect of our culture, or a condemnation of the systemic racism in our country that persists and is seeing a frustrating public surge over the past couple years, especially now with a shockingly bigoted president.

I give them credit for trying though. The most important thing is they cared enough to say and do something.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ffdf9c960f8105ca8c1cae2fbf25f7eb--bad-neighbors-los-simpsons.jpg

God damn.

Message didn't seem too ambiguous to me, but I can see the confusion from the wording. Racists don't call themselves racist or consider their actions racism. The sign was pointing out that racism is still a part of everyday life in America, just like baseball. Nothing has changed over the years.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think the fact that so many people were confused by the message means it clearly was not an "obvious" message.

They're right in the general point they're trying to get across but I think if people are questioning the meaning of it as much as they are, it maybe wasn't the best way to get their protest out there.

Especially considering how ridiculous some of Boston Antifa's statement was.

https://twitter.com/AntifaBoston/status/908178005528334336

MLB as a league should be dissolved. Like the Confederate monuments the Nazis are defending across the nation, remove and replace it with something of value to all people. A sport where people who identify as non-male make up 50% of the league.

Over-the-top crazy statements like that only makes people laugh at you and hurt the incredibly valid and worthy cause they're trying to support.

Message didn't seem too ambiguous to me, but I can see the confusion from the wording. Racists don't call themselves racist or consider their actions racism. The sign was pointing out that racism is still a part of everyday life in America, just like baseball. Nothing has changed over the years.

Agreed 100%.

Sanjuro

I went to Fenway today, no banners to be seen. :-

A lot of talk about it on the radio and throughout the ballpark. Such a weird occurrence.

kikiribu

I don't get it. Are they just trying to say that racism isn't exclusively American, in the same way that baseball isn't really American since Americans aren't even the best at it?

Shit's confusing and should have been kept much simpler instead of trying too hard to be "deep."

mjp2417

Banned
I don't get it. Are they just trying to say that racism isn't exclusively American, in the same way that baseball isn't really American since Americans aren't even the best at it?

Shit's confusing and should have been kept much simpler instead of trying too hard to be "deep."

While baseball is a more international game now than it ever has been, there is still no other country in the world with a stronger group of MLB stars than the US. It's not even particularly close.

Racism is as embedded into the fabric of American culture as baseball. It's a statement and criticism on the institutional pervasiveness of racism

I genuinely have no idea how people think the sign is ambiguous.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
I think the fact that so many people were confused by the message means it clearly was not an "obvious" message.

They're right in the general point they're trying to get across but I think if people are questioning the meaning of it as much as they are, it maybe wasn't the best way to get their protest out there.

Especially considering how ridiculous some of Boston Antifa's statement was.

https://twitter.com/AntifaBoston/status/908178005528334336

Over-the-top crazy statements like that only makes people laugh at you and hurt the incredibly valid and worthy cause they're trying to support.

this is almost certainly a right-wing troll account.

*edit*

yeah, it's these guys

https://itsgoingdown.org/alt-right-trolls-posing-boston-antifa-facebook-youtube/

Racism is as embedded into the fabric of American culture as baseball. It's a statement and criticism on the institutional pervasiveness of racism

Some people just don't want to or choose not to understand phrases like that. Think of how some people took it when the slogan black lives matter came out some people knew easily what it ment and others started screaming all lives matter.

Apt101

Haha. I'm sure it'll read differently to people depending on their worldview.

If this had happened in September 2016, I would have immediately read it a certain way. But that we have hordes of actual nazis marching around with Trump in office, I really wasn't sure. They could have been gloating.

mike6467

I saw this the second I saw the banner, I don't understand what's confusing.

Also saw some of the comments on Michael Rapaport's Tweet regarding this. They were enlarged pics of the people holding the sign calls for doxxing and "justice". Not shocking really, but fuck. Just feels like everyday is a little more dystopian then the last, and some days it hits harder then others.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah I didn't have any confusion at all. You don't really see racists admitting they're racists too often, at least in public. Racism is a whole lot more deeply engrained in America than baseball is anyways.

This is why they should have re-thought how they made their point.
Are they saying baseball is racist? America is racist? Racism is patriotic?

pizzaparty answered your question already in this thread

dabig2

Maybe including "and apple pie" at the end would have made it clearer I guess? Anyone who understands the popular idiom and also understands that being called a racist is the worst offense a human being can do to another would mean that the banner is calling out America's ingrained racism.

nacimento

I really can't see the supposed ambiguity. It is clear that it is just criticizing the "racism is just a fringe problem, nothing major or ingrained in our culture" line of thought.

Imm0rt4l

This.

Precisely my thoughts too. The vocabulary was a giveaway but I did see where people were coming from with the confusion.

I wonder what would've happened if people went with this:
"Racism: America's REAL Pasttime."
"Racism: Older than Baseball"

I think the ideal banner in this case would be "Racism is as American as apple pie" since that's the most common quote of "American as..."

but then again there are no pie sports so they wouldn't get the exposure they're after

Top Bottom