• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone struggling with Switch dock placement?

I haven't got one yet but I've been thinking where it will go when I do get one and I think behind the TV is the only option.

It wouldn't fit in my tv unit and I have a 1 year old that loves to press the touch button on the Xbox one, I can only imagine she would constantly pull the switch out if it was within reach!

zenspider

I lay mine flat on it's back with the USB side (left from front) facing me. It fits right under my monitor. Need two hands to add and remove JoyCons, but that should probably be done anyway.

ngower

I have it on my desk which is next to my TV. It works well enough now but will be an issue when I move. I need to mount my TV anyways, so it's probably more incentive to do that, but for not the problem is solved.

Ryde3

Hell ya! I have it tucked behind my TV which makes docking it awkward.

I can't put it in my entertainment unit because I can't dock it. I can't put it infront of the TV, and I don't want to put it on the coffee table because I don't trust it to not fall over.

I really wish there was a better solution, the style of the OG 3Ds dock would've worked.

3ds-chargingcradle-480x320.png

NimbusD

Yeah it doesn't fit where my games normally fit. I've actually put it on my computer desk next to my monitor which mean I most play on my computer monitor which is fine.

When I move it over to the TV tho I wind up just placing it in the floor. It feels so inconsequential where it lays.

MrFlooD

I have had mine horizontal since day one. Only way it would fit in my entertainment center. Zero issues with cooling and no real issue with docking/unlocking it.

They must've packed in the shortest HDMI cable possible. It's barely as long as my TV is wide. It barely peaks out from behind my TV. Naturally I don't want to have to get behind my TV to dock/undock it :( But all my TVs HDMI ports are all on the opposite side to where the powerpoints are, so it's stretch between those two points due to short cables :(

It's also too tall to sit in front of my TV without blocking the picture.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Mine sits on the top level of my tv stand. It's just short enough when docked to come to the bottom of my ks8000 screen so I'm happy with that. No overhead to obstruct docking and no obstruction of tv. Just walk up to the tv and drop it in.

riotous

Banned
I took the "shelves" out of one nook of my entertainment center long ago and have consoles in there vertically stowed. My HTPC (Alienware X51), Xbox 360 and PS4 currently occupy the space but I plan to fit the Switch dock in there as well (currently it's on a table to the side of the entertainment stand). That gives enough vertical room to dock/undock.

My electronics that can't be vertical sit in another nook with normal shelves (Xbox One, my receiver, cable box, etc.)

I have a narrow opening on the far side of my entertainment center where it fits sideways with enough clearance for the docking, but still it's awkward accessing it and makes me super nervous due to the whole screen scratching issue.

asdad123

Actually, this is not a bad idea. I might buy a long HDMI cable (>5m), tack it down around the room edge, and just have the Switch dock on a table somewhere else in the room that's more convenient for 'switching'.

That's exactly what I did. Got some wire mold from Home Depot and put the switch on the end table next to my couch.

tootie923

I put mine to the left of my receiver on top of the entertainment shelf. It's basically hidden between the receiver and the wall now, which is fine. My shelves don't have enough height underneath for undocking. I don't really trust putting it anywhere else because it's not solid like a PS4 or Xbox One.

shiyrley

Banned
They must've packed in the shortest HDMI cable possible. It's barely as long as my TV is wide. It barely peaks out from behind my TV. Naturally I don't want to have to get behind my TV to dock/undock it :( But all my TVs HDMI ports are all on the opposite side to where the powerpoints are, so it's stretch between those two points due to short cables :(

It's also too tall to sit in front of my TV without blocking the picture.
Just buy a longer HDMI cable lol
But make sure it doesn't have this thing
PLubrz5.png

If the cable has that, you won't be able to close the dock. And yes, I speak from experience lol

Iced

The same place everything else goes? In my tv cabinet.

Can I ask you something? Whenever I read a response like this, where there's a question mark thrown in without a question being asked, I always read it as being incredibly snarky. Is that your intention? The only reason I ask is that this thread is fairly innocuous, so I can't imagine why any snark would be warranted, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I just see this a lot on Neogaf and it's always made me curious.

Dremorak

Banned
Can I ask you something? Whenever I read a response like this, where there's a question mark thrown in without a question being asked, I always read it as being incredibly snarky. Is that your intention? The only reason I ask is that this thread is fairly innocuous, so I can't imagine why any snark would be warranted, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I just see this a lot on Neogaf and it's always made me curious.

Its not so much snark as confusion. Where else would a game console go lol

They really need a horizontal solution. The vertical orientation of the dock makes it awkward as fuck to place.
Its not so much snark as confusion. Where else would a game console go lol

You don't see the stark difference with how the Switch dock is oriented versus traditional, flat electronics? It makes it awkward to place in front of televisions, since it may actually block the screen. It's standing orientation makes it difficult to place in traditional flat shelving found in most entertainment center furniture. In addition, it must be in total access for the full motion of docking and undocking. Not to mention the interference it may receive being near wifi routers, further complicating it's placement.

Mihos

Gold Member
It works well in a media closet like mine, where the WiiU controller used to sit. I will post a picture later.
Mine is not a typical setup though.

Its ideally placed in the TV cabinet... looks fantastic... except for the joycon disconnects when not using the pro controller :)

Need to find an alternate position as need those joycons for Mario Kart 8 soon

Its ideally placed in the TV cabinet... looks fantastic... except for the joycon disconnects when not using the pro controller :)

You don't have height clearance problems when removing the switch from the dock while inside the TV cabinet? Most TV cabinets don't have a lot of vertical space if you're putting something inside it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If it's in front of my TV it blocks the bottom corner, so I have to put it behind it...which is fine for now, but I'll have to find a new spot eventually.

I'd love to put it on a shelf in the stand but I want to be able to drop the thing in as straight as possible to avoid potential issues.

h0mebas3

I have mine to placed to the right of the TV standing vertically, parallel to the TV which is sitting on my HT-XT1.

It's easy to dock, un-dock and I use the joycon charging grip so it doesn't draw extra attention to it sitting next to the TV. The only downside is I can't see the Switch logo, but given how it blends in, I'm OK with this.

Giever

I've got an Ikea tv stand that I just rearranged the shelves on to give me enough vertical clearance to dock/undock the Switch.

Redd

I'm struggling with cords. Cords for days and now my hdmi switch is almost full. I need to get all those cords organized because it looks terrible.

Strings

Sits on top of my PS4 at the moment.

To be honest though, I thought this thread was going to be about actually placing the console inside the dock, which makes me feel antsy every time.

My entertainment center would make it impossible to undock.
IMG_20170320_233427634_HDR.jpg

So I thought outside the box (not really) and bought a 15' HDMI cable and I have my Switch now proudly displayed on one of my living room end tables.
IMG_20170320_233411436.jpg

I'm sure my wife loves it, but she hasn't complained about it yet. If she does, I'll make her find it a new spot.

Which will probably end in the Switch being thrown away...

OP is right. I couldn't put it on my TV's entertainment shelves both due to the spacing not being conducive to inserting and removing from the dock and also because I have too many other consoles right now that I need to keep hooked up. So I put it on one of my game shelves right next my TV. There's more vertical space to use the dock, just the right distance to run the cords to the TV easily, plus it looks nice next to my games and collectibles:

jljUkp0.jpg

I have mine next to my bed, I got a 10ft HDMI cable and just have it going behind my desk to the TV that way I can go from TV mode to Handheld mode in seconds all while laying down.

I really enjoy what I have going on, the dock now sits where the 3ds used to charge but now he lays on the floor... That way he cant look at me and judge for replacing him XD

Thoraxes

I had a little trouble because I have a real need to bring the AC adapter with me (heck, even bought a second 3DS adapter because I had a cradle for the n3DS and needed it for MonHun sessions without unplugging my cradle each time), but this is what I ultimately settled upon:

2017-03-2101.16.38svupi.jpg

I was originally just going to put it where my Wii U gamepad used to sit, but idk, it didn't feel right having it up on that shelf of mine. If I end up getting irked by the cable placement enough (I made it not stick out too much), i'll probably just crack and buy a second AC adapter, particularly if MH happens on the thing. Heck, Splatoon and MK8D will probably have me tempting springing for one. Probably gonna use a longer HDMI cable too, since the one that comes with it is a little short. Has just enough clearance that docking/undocking is hassle-free.

I have my dock on my nightstand for now using the 20ft hdmi cable I got for my NES classic. I kind of like it there since I don't have to get out of bed to dock/remove it lol

Haunted

It's a real head scratcher for me. My TV stand doesn't have enough vertical space in the compartments to easily use it, and putting it on top would obscure the TV (it's as wide as the stand).

Haven't found a good solution yet.

spekkeh

Banned
I tilt it over every time I dock it. It's not ideal but you only really dock it twice a day max anyway. In this way it sits in my entertainment cabinet just fine.

I've got mine connected to my 27" PC monitor, with a 5 meter cable. Means I've been able to place it top of a hip-high shelf nearby. Feels pretty good to undock it with no fuss from there.

I couldn't find a good place for it on the main TV... But I can always just put it on the floor if I need to use it there.

Top Bottom