• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

people here are weird as shit about CWS. I'd literally never heard of it before I moved here.

Slightly biased because I'm from South O, while I never watched an actual CWS game (never had the money), I did like the community/neighborhood aspect of when it was down here. Also, Rosenblatt was unique and cool. I believe Warren Buffet or someone else said at one point that they could literally shutter Rosenblatt outside of the CWS and the facility would have still made a profit.

But the NCAA and the business groups wanted to turn it into a corporate blaise baseball theme park attraction and that's what they've pretty much done. (even ESPN criticized the new setup as being that) The new stadium is bland, and people barely leave the immediate grounds of the area now. Receipts for downtown actually went down after they moved the CWS because everybody is like "well, fuck going downtown" while it's going on.

But I think South O got the better end of the deal as we don't have to worry about the zoo leaving every 10 years because it doesn't like the contract, and as much as it was sad to see rosenblatt go, it's letting the zoo expand and improve itself.

As an aside, the zoo is so immersive and neat here that whenever I'm in it I forget I'm still technically in South Omaha. They do a good job of making you feel like you're somewhere else. I have to remind myself that I live within blocks of elephants, tigers, penguins, sharks...

anyway, that's why they want to build all these things that connect to CWS, because they want those tourists to filter out more to the surrounding area. It's never gonna work, tourists like to have a "home base" and stick to it.

Palmer_v1

Yeah, at this point, I'd be alright osing the CWS if it meant the zoo continued to improve. I really need to go visit it again before the weather gets too hot.

Stothert wins, followed by a big thunderstorm. Seemed fitting

Stothert win sucks, but I'm really glad Senator Blood's amendment for LB632 passed. It was a good day for craft brewers in this state. Also, now that I know who he is, I love it when Larson loses.

KingV

Slightly biased because I'm from South O, while I never watched an actual CWS game (never had the money), I did like the community/neighborhood aspect of when it was down here. Also, Rosenblatt was unique and cool. I believe Warren Buffet or someone else said at one point that they could literally shutter Rosenblatt outside of the CWS and the facility would have still made a profit.

But the NCAA and the business groups wanted to turn it into a corporate blaise baseball theme park attraction and that's what they've pretty much done. (even ESPN criticized the new setup as being that) The new stadium is bland, and people barely leave the immediate grounds of the area now. Receipts for downtown actually went down after they moved the CWS because everybody is like "well, fuck going downtown" while it's going on.

But I think South O got the better end of the deal as we don't have to worry about the zoo leaving every 10 years because it doesn't like the contract, and as much as it was sad to see rosenblatt go, it's letting the zoo expand and improve itself.

As an aside, the zoo is so immersive and neat here that whenever I'm in it I forget I'm still technically in South Omaha. They do a good job of making you feel like you're somewhere else. I have to remind myself that I live within blocks of elephants, tigers, penguins, sharks...

anyway, that's why they want to build all these things that connect to CWS, because they want those tourists to filter out more to the surrounding area. It's never gonna work, tourists like to have a "home base" and stick to it.

Ah, so that's why the zoo has been going fucking ham on improvements in the last few years.

I agree on the new stadium area. It feels like there's a lot of bars and stuff that nobody would ever go to unless they are going to a CWS game.

That said the new stadium is about 1000x nicer than Roaenblatt. Outside of "history", Rosenblatt was not a good place to watch a game. The concourse was way too small for the number of seats and you bathroom lines 100 deep outside the entrance are not uncommon.

I went there for a crowded game one time.... and vowed never to go back.

FyreWulff

Well yeah, they were about to upgrade all of that but went for a new stadium instead. NCAA said upgrade the concourse and facilities including the ability to watch the game from the concourse, or build a new stadium. Fahey went with new stadium.

FyreWulff

K1XZTowl.jpg

west vs east omaha

may the one with the less closed polling stations for some reason wiiiiin

KingV

This is why annexing sucks. You effectively have exurbs and downtown with the same mayor and city government, and it doesn't make a damn bit of sense, because the needs and desires are totally different.

On a side note, I'm curious if anyone is up for a meet next weekend. I'm thinking beercade because that makes sense for a gaming forum, but am up for whatever. I can do Friday night or anytime Saturday. If there's no preference, I'll just give a timenin a day or so that I'll be there and whoever wants to come can come.

Palmer_v1

This is why annexing sucks. You effectively have exurbs and downtown with the same mayor and city government, and it doesn't make a damn bit of sense, because the needs and desires are totally different.

On a side note, I'm curious if anyone is up for a meet next weekend. I'm thinking beercade because that makes sense for a gaming forum, but am up for whatever. I can do Friday night or anytime Saturday. If there's no preference, I'll just give a timenin a day or so that I'll be there and whoever wants to come can come.

I'll be in S Louis for a board game con next weekend.

ZBR

I hope everyone is doing, I've been job hunting for a part-time recently and I was wondering if anyone has any info some good part-times out there? I do have call center experience and I'm pretty sure my supervisor and director would speak very well on my behalf. I've been searching recently since my department is getting dramatically downsized and being the guy with the least amount of seniority, I'm getting the boot first.

Thank You,
ZBR

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
If you are interested in full time instead, I could get you an interview at my company. Check my post in the previous page about the various incentives that the job provides, but it isn't the most exciting job in the world. :)

PM me if you are interested.

Palmer_v1

Oh, I had the tanner's wings over in Ralston and they were pretty good. The actual buffalo ones were kinda meh, but the teriyaki ones were amazing. Could have been slightly more charr buffed than they were, but I think they were better than Oscars. Still not close to Watering Hole though.

Palmer_v1

I hope everyone is doing, I've been job hunting for a part-time recently and I was wondering if anyone has any info some good part-times out there? I do have call center experience and I'm pretty sure my supervisor and director would speak very well on my behalf. I've been searching recently since my department is getting dramatically downsized and being the guy with the least amount of seniority, I'm getting the boot first.

Thank You,
ZBR

I dunno if First National does part time, but their call centers are basically always hiring.

KingV

I dunno if First National does part time, but their call centers are basically always hiring.

I can vouch for it being a pretty decent place to work. I never worked in the call center, but met a decent number of fairly senior people that started in the call center or as a teller.

I'm sure call center is different than the more "professional" cubicle jobs, but having worked at other big'ish companies, FNBO treats its employees better than average with better than average benefits.

Oh, I had the tanner's wings over in Ralston and they were pretty good. The actual buffalo ones were kinda meh, but the teriyaki ones were amazing. Could have been slightly more charr buffed than they were, but I think they were better than Oscars. Still not close to Watering Hole though.

Did you do the Blair wings? Watering Hole in Lincoln, right? I thought they were just okay myself.

Palmer_v1

Did you do the Blair wings? Watering Hole in Lincoln, right? I thought they were just okay myself.

Yeah, we've been twice. First time was buffalo and teriyaki. Second time we did blair and teriyaki. The blair were better than buffalo, but they still didn't grill them as much as I like. The teriyaki sauce they use is amazing though.

If anyone is interested I have an extra spot into the Playstation E3 Experience on Monday, June 12th. Just send me a PM or something. You don't have to sit with me or talk to me outside of getting into the door if you don't want to be social. I won't be offended. I had gotten two tickets in case one of my friends couldn't get one, but everyone is accounted for so I thought I'd at least offer it out. Have a good day!

Palmer_v1

If anyone is interested I have an extra spot into the Playstation E3 Experience on Monday, June 12th. Just send me a PM or something. You don't have to sit with me or talk to me outside of getting into the door if you don't want to be social. I won't be offended. I had gotten two tickets in case one of my friends couldn't get one, but everyone is accounted for so I thought I'd at least offer it out. Have a good day!

Where and what time?

Omadahl

Banned
There are 4 Nintendo Switches at the Target on 72nd and Dodge for those interested. Even though I don't want one, my wife pulled me away while I was looking. Can't even window shop.

How much longer is the stadium deal? I certainly hope it doesn't go anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit - I don't personally get very interested/involved in the CWS, but obviously it's a great thing for the city.

FyreWulff

How much longer is the stadium deal? I certainly hope it doesn't go anywhere, but I wouldn't be surprised.

until 2035 but in the legal sense doesn't really mean much and NCAA has always prodded for re-negotiations part way through anyway. Rosenblatt still had years left on the contract before they switched it.

Palmer_v1

Nobody I talk to regularly has even mentioned it. I sort of enjoy it cause I work downtown, and it gives me an excuse to walk over there during lunch.

until 2035 but in the legal sense doesn't really mean much and NCAA has always prodded for re-negotiations part way through anyway. Rosenblatt still had years left on the contract before they switched it.

My father-in-law is heavily involved in the local Omaha events scene. CWS ain't going anywhere.

FyreWulff

Everybody says forever until some other state or money backs up a truck of tax and money incentives.

I mean, we're talking about the city that almost lost the swim trials because they decided to put the CWS right across the street from the Convention Center

Everybody says forever until some other state or money backs up a truck of tax and money incentives.

I mean, we're talking about the city that almost lost the swim trials because they decided to put the CWS right across the street from the Convention Center

Hehe, my FIL was also involved in that. As successful as it was the first time around, they were told by US Swim Federation that they had no chance in hell of getting the swim trials back. Then they got them back.

FyreWulff

Oh boy, and we're gonna have fun again when the Clink building starts getting old. Having worked at Main Library before I know they want to build a new Main where the Civic was, wonder what the city wants to put on the block Main Lib is on now.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
proooooooobably the hardest storm I have ever seen in Omaha. Went driving afterwards and there were about 15 downed trees within a three-block radius of my house. Tons blocking the road, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom