• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Two things:

1. Going over my posts like that makes me realize that I've been very inconsistent regarding first person v. third person and singular v. plural. I'm not fixing all of those, but I'll try to keep it together in the future.

2. The Behemoth sprite from FF2 (PSP) is the best one in the series by far.
ewLti.png

Seriously, I don't think it can get more awesome.

Anyhow, more FFV!

The trip to Ghido's cave is pretty uneventful.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_72.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-10.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-10.png

Except Exdeath decides that he doesn't like sages who may know how to defeat him.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-8.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-7.png

Let's see where else we can go:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-8.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_15-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_16-4.png

There are goodies to get first, though.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_14-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_17-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_18-4.png

Let the bardsong fun begin: Swift Song is the first "continuous" song you can get, and it constantly raises your party's speed while the bard sings. Getting hit will cancel the song, but the effects do not wear off. The other book is a reference to the power of the Dragoon ability !Lance when used by classes not called Dragoon; mage classes without Osmose can make good use of it to fuel those rather high-cost later spells.

On the ship: A happy coincidence
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_24-3.png

And a familiar face.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_28-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_29-5.png

Normally victory is accomplished by assassinating Enkidu, who only has 4000 health and likes White Wind and Vampire almost as much as I do.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_30-3.png

Since he's flying and my main source of damage is ground-based, I couldn't keep him from killing my characters with vampire, so I hammered away his MP and killed Gilgamesh first.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_32-3.png

Additional notes: I didn't think to try it until the very end, but Enkidu is vulnerable to Gravity spells and so takes 3k from Missile at full health. (This also means Death Claw would have worked. Arrgh.) Also, this is the first battle where Gilgamesh carries Genji equipment for you to steal; you can relieve him of the gloves in this one. While I'd like the set, I have no way to steal in this battle.

Next up: Xezat reveals the real plan.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-9.png

Heropon

I've begun playing Final Fantasy III DS.

Current place: Canaan.

Party:
-Luneth: Fighter with mythril swords
-Arc: Black mage with Great bow and iron arrows
-Refia: White mage barehanded (Where are my rods?!)
-Ingus: Red mage with mythril swords

Jinn was a joke, I killed him in one round. Nothing relevant has happened so far (yawn).

Johnas

I'm playing through FFII for basically the first time (minus one brief aborted attempt a few years ago) and have made it up to the part where you enter the Dreadnought.

Reading the comments above from charlequin and others, I can completely echo their sentiments. I'm enjoying myself a lot, but it's a strange game design, I can say I've never played another RPG that handled leveling/experience like this one does. I appreciate what they tried, but ultimately it seems like it'd be more fun without the various penalties (decreasing stats, armor penalties, etc.). Then again, maybe not.

However, it's my first time through, I'm just getting the hang of it all. I do appreciate the freedom in character development, however nebulous some of the consequences can be initially.

Aeana

I ever-so-briefly started in on FF5 tonight, because FF4 is sucking away my will to live.

1OqGSl.jpg

omg. Yes. FF5!!

0800Gl.jpg
ttUqfl.jpg

FF5's intro and music still gives me goosebumps, despite having played it like a thrillion times.

r90Sql.jpg

I was considering going with a silly name for Bartz, but I don't have it in me. バッツ it is.

O2urbl.jpg
TEsxxl.jpg

Bartz and his chocobo are pretty close. Or so it would seem. If they're that close, then why does he just leave him without a second thought?! Poor Boco. :(

Anyway, I meet Lenna and Galuf and they go off to the wind shrine and I'm way too cool to hang out with little girls and old men, so I'm going to go make my own path with my best bud Boco.

EFn80l.jpg
3iI0Nl.jpg

But, well, you know... girls and old men are helpless, and Boco knows that, so he guilt trips me into going after them. After rescuing them, Galuf cracks a joke and I find myself once again wishing the game had a laugh track.

zs71Zl.jpg
dLnKKl.jpg

The first boss. Strategy: lol.

s4OOOl.jpg
XWcDFl.jpg

Story stuff happens, and Lenna's pops sends us off to protect the crystals.
At this point, I turn my party into 3x monk, 1x blue mage. I'll teach everyone barehanded and learning eventually.

Ultratech

Another FF2 Update:

-Entered the Tower of the Magi (that's what I call it; piss off Mysidian Tower!).

-I forgot how much I hate Imps. Some trolling bastards they are.
*Enters Battle - Back Attack!*
*Imp 1 casts Blink VIII*
*Imp 2-6 casts Confuse XVI*
*Party is inflicted with Confuse*
Me: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So yeah, they suck. A few of those Lizard monsters also Back Attacked me and Stoned half my party. Very lucky I was able to escape.

-Armor/Evasion might actually help now?
Yeah...I was doing ok on random fights, and the first two Gigas went down pretty quick. Thunder Gigas on the other hand, was a real dick. 1st move he does is whack Maria for 937 damage, killing her (mind you, I went into this fight SEVERELY underestimating it). Had to use Blink to keep him from one-shotting people. Was very tempted to rethink my "no-armor" rule for a second after that fight.

-Killed a White Dragon. Went down like a fool.

-Got Ultima and wasted a bunch of time going after the "Ultimate Magic". Yep, a wild goose chase for something that doesn't even get used Story-wise. Not to mention the crap that does happen as a result of you being busy with this mess...

Natetan

Let's go for the VI already!!!

You know, VI is king, but I don't like replaying it that much. I think because there isnt anything to sequence break.

Back to ff ii though, I think the game is gimped by too many worthless spells. I mean ffi had its fare share of worthless spells, but ffii just added more and made it worse. Poison is so worthless. Strangely though curse is amazing. Personally I think ffx is the game that perfected stat buffs. They are all great and really do something.

Oh and the thunder gigas is weak to poison. use your new mage staff you got in a chest before him as an item in battle for a spell similar to virus :)

If all your characters have been equipped with shields (such as the ice shield from mysidia) you shouldn't be getting back attacks frequently. You should always be going first generally! Once I get thief gauntlets in mysidia I never take them off of any of my characters. +10 speed? Yes please!

Basically the only worthwhile spells are cure, fire, life, esuna, haste, aura, shell, protect, and berserk. The rest are worthless including holy, flare, and ultima. The previous status buffs when used in conjunction will cut through any enemy. No need to learn some of them either since you can get them using weapons as items in battle. Only spell I built up was haste for Richard to use in the bonus content section.

I haven't been keeping up with updates on my VI playthrough, but I'm almost wrapped up in world of balance now (!!!). In the past this is pretty much the farthest I've ever gotten, because Atma weapon is a whore and the enemies on the floating continent are crazy insane powerful from what I remember. Tips on how levelled I should be before I tackle it? My party is around level 21-23 right now, except for mog who I JUST got and is level 26.

Right now I'm taking the time to go through and get Mog's water dance and then after that I don't know what I should focus on. I'm guessing I should try to get Celes' magic up some more before I hit WoR.

Ultratech

Back to ff ii though, I think the game is gimped by too many worthless spells. I mean ffi had its fare share of worthless spells, but ffii just added more and made it worse. Poison is so worthless. Strangely though curse is amazing. Personally I think ffx is the game that perfected stat buffs. They are all great and really do something.

Oh and the thunder gigas is weak to poison. use your new mage staff you got in a chest before him as an item in battle for a spell similar to virus :)

I know that, but my Scourge was only at Lv.4 and I don't think the staff does that much damage to him anyhow. I still beat him regardless, it was just a tougher fight than I expected.

If all your characters have been equipped with shields (such as the ice shield from mysidia) you shouldn't be getting back attacks frequently. You should always be going first generally! Once I get thief gauntlets in mysidia I never take them off of any of my characters. +10 speed? Yes please!

Actually I do have Shields + Thief Gauntlets. That's all my characters had aside from weapons. Only got Back Attacked a few times, but it was still pretty annoying.

Basically the only worthwhile spells are cure, fire, life, esuna, haste, aura, shell, protect, and berserk. The rest are worthless including holy, flare, and ultima. The previous status buffs when used in conjunction will cut through any enemy. No need to learn some of them either since you can get them using weapons as items in battle. Only spell I built up was haste for Richard to use in the bonus content section.

Elemental Spells are very handy, as are Blink, Esuna, and Berserk. Teleport and Warp are pretty good too assuming you keep their levels high (same could go for any Insta-Kill spell). I don't think Shell is all that useful in the remakes since you get a ton of M.Def towards the end, and Aura is semi-situational anyhow (you should be killing off stuff before getting Aura off).

Gonna try and finish up FFII soon...

Been playing FFII on iPAD (iOS) and FFV on PSN. Guess that is the psx version. Typing this on my ipad so ill get back to a proper post later when im on my mac. Playing both games for the first time.

Welp, I finished FFII (in an amount of time that would surely lead Aeana to disown me were I to disclose it) and I maintain my earlier judgment: the worst part of the game is right in the middle, and it's pretty much all uphill after the Dreadnought. I love these old-style final dungeons with the multiple parts and secret passageways and the optional bosses guarding powerful equipment and shit; Jade Passage/Pandaemonium isn't a patch on the Dark World/Eureka from FFIII, but I still found it exceedingly enjoyable.

Despite my complaints about the problems with the progression system, the game's definitely gone up noticeably in my estimation after this playthrough; I'd certainly sooner revisit this game than give certain other (unnamed) entries another shot.

This is actually really common. The sudden difficulty spike of Atma Weapon has killed many an FFIII playthrough.

I'm honestly considering just hitting atma with vanish/doom and calling it a day.

Oh, just as a random question, is the iOS version of FFI & II the same as the GBA version, the PSX version, or the PSP version? what's the difference between all these? All I remember is that the GBA one is stupid easy (and I still couldn't beat Chaos on GBA because I didn't have a White Wizard so I couldn't keep up with his damage output on my Paladin and Red Wizard since they didn't get access to the spells that cured all party members).

Jucksalbe

Banned
SCD4k.png

So, let's show that Flame Cave what we're made of!

S4saw.png
XJLCm.png

Wait, that doesn't look good. Where's my Float? What? No Float? (btw. what does "Wash" do?)

xQRuN.png

Turns out, this...stuff doesn't hurt you at all. There's a waterfall further on that does (not by much), but there's no need for Float or anything like it.

Qn2I6.png
Zk1RE.png

And boss fight. Turns out this is the first tough fight.

2pjdf.png
Sq0Mj.png

Mostly because of his "Flame" attack that hits everyone for ~150 damage. Also as far as I could tell Fighter is the only class that has equipment that's resistant to fire, so you just have to kill him faster than he kills you. The first fight ended in a loss.

WCHSi.png

Second fight: This time I also used items (especially "SouthWind") to kill him faster and my magic didn't miss as often. My White Mage was all out of Cure at the end of the fight, so actually it was a much closer fight than it might look in that image. Afterwards I looked at Aeana's post and saw that I was supposed to have an ice sword. So I went back into the dungeon and found it inside the one treasure chest that I missed....

HxVZF.png
s5owz.png

New crystal means new jobs! Sadly, the game never really explains what those jobs do (and, of course, the manual is in Japanese...), so I had to look them up. In the end I decided to swap my Fighter for a Knight and leave everyone else the way they were.

cytif.png
dmX32.png

Ugh, I hate inventory limits. The treasure you can find here is actually quite decent, a lot of stuff for your new classes (some of it can also be used for the old ones).

9Uli6.png
SAQWG.png

Next stop: the town by the desert (forgot its name). My party is immediately captured and put to prison inside a floating tree. I forgot to take pictures for most of that dungeon, but I can say this much: I never when to see any Pharaohs or Lamias again, Sleep, Confuse, Sleep, Confuse, argh. Also, I learned that White Mages can't really heal a party for a long time. At the end I had to rely on potions and I didn't buy that many.

PtmF3.png
oHIT9.png

So, finally the boss fight everyone in the game has been telling me about for the last hour. As they advised I changed my White Mage into a Scholar right before the fight.

1BbGP.png
yOnsbl.jpg

You need the Scholar because Hyne changes his elemental weakness from time to time (and absorbs all other elements) and the melee attackers don't seem to hit very often. I took the right image from Aeana's post just to show that we're seemingly playing on a different translation? I didn't know there was more than one. My translation has "Scan" and "Peep" switched for some reason.

aQmTK.png

In the end I managed to defeat the sucker on my last few HP, no potions left, no attack items left, no Scholar left. This is probably the worst fight in the game so far. My biggest problem was that he often switches his weakness right before my Black Mage's turn, so in the end I healed him more often that I should have.

DQHXU.png
C4Ngg.png

With their last bit of strength my party managed to reach the Ancients' Village and recover. Enough for today.

Next time, I try not to find the tedium of the Ice Pyramid boring. And Megaman plays Pushmo for a level or so.

Do you usually fight every monster along the way? Because of the amount of enemies I think the volcano level is actually worse.

Natetan

Gonna try and finish up FFII soon...

The spell from the staff did about 700 damage for me. Qute good!

And yeah telepo is a great spell too. Makes going to mysidia early a breeze. You're also right about shell. It's more useful in the bonus content part where a lot of bosses have flare 16. Minh wu already has the spell leveled up so no need to do anything for that.

The Continuing adventures of Kat:

The Barrier tower is an interesting part of the game. It has some really nice loot:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_05-8.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_07-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_11-4.png

I can't use the sword, and I got two reflect rings before I suddenly remembered what my next summons are. I'll pick up two more later on in the game, since I'll be climbing phoenix tower anyway.

There's also a whole bunch of blue magic.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_02-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_18-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19-6.png

Should you have more resources than myself, You can also pick up Level 2 Old here (it requires a beastmaster AND a white mage).

The barrier tower is also the home of Atomos, a boss so difficult that he later became a summon. Atomos casts and dualcasts Comet, which does random damage, but usually more than a party member's max health. Once at least one person is down, he'll suck them in, eventually removing them from battle.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_24-5.png

Wait, did I say difficult?
FinalFantasyVAdvance_23-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_26-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_32-4.png

After doing that, I suddenly remembered something and was unsatisfied. Reload!

Atomos is level 41 and has just under 20,000 HP.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-10.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_02-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-11.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_33-4.png

Barrier tower complete! You got: Submarine!
FinalFantasyVAdvance_52-2.png

Next up: An easy task.

Ourobolus

Banned
Welp, I finished FFII (in an amount of time that would surely lead Aeana to disown me were I to disclose it) and I maintain my earlier judgment: the worst part of the game is right in the middle, and it's pretty much all uphill after the Dreadnought. I love these old-style final dungeons with the multiple parts and secret passageways and the optional bosses guarding powerful equipment and shit; Jade Passage/Pandaemonium isn't a patch on the Dark World/Eureka from FFIII, but I still found it exceedingly enjoyable.

Despite my complaints about the problems with the progression system, the game's definitely gone up noticeably in my estimation after this playthrough; I'd certainly sooner revisit this game than give certain other (unnamed) entries another shot.

These are my thoughts as well. I'm at Pandaemonium right now (I'll probably knock it out tonight), and I would definitely try this game again now that I seem to understand the progression system a bit better. While I'd beaten it before, it was such a chore, now I don't seem to mind it. I wasn't a fan of the Dreadnought or the Castle Basement (goddamn status enemies), but the rest of the game is much better in my eyes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do you usually fight every monster along the way? Because of the amount of enemies I think the volcano level is actually worse.
Retreating is for the weak! :lol

Yeah, I'm fighting all of them. I think I don't mind the Volcano much because I enjoy the atmosphere better and I can waste all the seeds I want to so I can get through battles faster. I don't use seeds until I can buy them by the bucketful in Fireburg, so the Ice dungeons are so long and boring for me.

Johnas

Made quite a bit of progress through FFII today, currently at the Tropical Isle looking for the Black Mask.

This game is great, I really shouldn't have put off playing it for so long. Anybody who hasn't given the game a fair shake, I highly recommend you try it again. Once you understand the basics of the leveling system, it's a blast to play.

I am not exploiting the game, and it really isn't all that difficult at all. Hopefully I don't run head first into a brick wall after typing that.

Natetan

whew! glad we're on a new page. the last one was a bit image heavy. i thought it was because i was using the smartphone 'app' site, but even on a normal PC it took quite awhile to finish scooting everything around.

I think that FFII and FFV are the most replayable in the series. Can't put my finger on why...

I think that FFII and FFV are the most replayable in the series. Can't put my finger on why...

V's got that "and this time I'll try this job combination!" thing going for it, but ehhn, I dunno. I've probably played FF6 as much as the next three highest put together :p

*phew* made a lot of progress today in my FFVI playthrough, got to the floating continent, realized I was pretty underlevelled, ran from pretty much everything after wiping a few times, and then jumped on the airship and peaced the hell out.

flew back to the esper meeting cave on crescent island and ground up my levels and my spells some, then came back with Celes, Cyan, and Locke and just completely wrecked everything. stole a genji glove from a dragon, got the hardened knife from the monster-in-a-box, and even took down atma weapon without losing anyone.

Kefka booted Gestahl off the island, and started blowing everything up, so I rolled outta there, but had to give my boy Shadow some time to get out. Frankly, I hate shadow so much in this playthrough because he's almost never in my party, so he's chronically underlevelled. Even still, I had enough skeins to throw at people so he was still pretty worthwhile and I look forward to picking him up in the WoR.

Speaking of WoR, so Celes wakes up a year later, starts calling Cid grandpa, and I have to run back and forth to get fish like 80 times to feed this guy, and he STILL died! :( :( :(

After Celes failed at suicide, I got a raft, so that's pretty cool. Took it to albrook, talked to people, and heard about people who haven't given up on life yet. Sounds like party members to me! Run up to Tzen, walking right past Vect--er, Kefka's Tower, and with Sabin's help, saved a kid from a collapsing building, helping myself to all the goodies within. I'm such a mercenary.

This is my first time actually getting to the world of ruin, so the game has gotten significantly more interesting for me now. I might even update on the regular now that I've gotten this far!

Natetan

*phew* made a lot of progress today in my FFVI playthrough, got to the floating continent, realized I was pretty underlevelled, ran from pretty much everything after wiping a few times, and then jumped on the airship and peaced the hell out.

flew back to the esper meeting cave on crescent island and ground up my levels and my spells some, then came back with Celes, Cyan, and Locke and just completely wrecked everything. stole a genji glove from a dragon, got the hardened knife from the monster-in-a-box, and even took down atma weapon without losing anyone.

Kefka booted Gestahl off the island, and started blowing everything up, so I rolled outta there, but had to give my boy Shadow some time to get out. Frankly, I hate shadow so much in this playthrough because he's almost never in my party, so he's chronically underlevelled. Even still, I had enough skeins to throw at people so he was still pretty worthwhile and I look forward to picking him up in the WoR.

Speaking of WoR, so Celes wakes up a year later, starts calling Cid grandpa, and I have to run back and forth to get fish like 80 times to feed this guy, and he STILL died! :( :( :(

After Celes failed at suicide, I got a raft, so that's pretty cool. Took it to albrook, talked to people, and heard about people who haven't given up on life yet. Sounds like party members to me! Run up to Tzen, walking right past Vect--er, Kefka's Tower, and with Sabin's help, saved a kid from a collapsing building, helping myself to all the goodies within. I'm such a mercenary.

This is my first time actually getting to the world of ruin, so the game has gotten significantly more interesting for me now. I might even update on the regular now that I've gotten this far!

I suddenly have the urge to grind the cursed shield into the paladin shield on the solitary island. Memories...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I suddenly have the urge to grind the cursed shield into the paladin shield on the solitary island. Memories...

That jogs my memory... I remember people used to rumor that you could level the Cursed Ring into a Paladin Ring or something... but that was BS right?

I remember back in the day, there was the FFVI "FWAK" with all kinds of BS rumors. Oh, early internet, I miss you....

Natetan

That jogs my memory... I remember people used to rumor that you could level the Cursed Ring into a Paladin Ring or something... but that was BS right?

I remember back in the day, there was the FFVI "FWAK" with all kinds of BS rumors. Oh, early internet, I miss you....

Don't know about the ring, but the cursed shield/paladin shield is very real!

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hero's_Shield

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/11570

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ccxuFrtp0

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I always thought Sabin and Celes would make a good couple. They would have cute badass kungfu kids with magical powers.

I always thought Sabin and Celes would make a good couple. They would have cute badass kungfu kids with magical powers.

mini update on this note...so I've got Sabin, went to Mobliz and talked to Terra and got pissed when she wouldn't come with, then went to Nikeah and ran into "Garad". And this is where my suspension of disbelief snapped.

I know this is a 15+ year old game we're talking about, and I know that it's revolutionary enough to have most characters in the World of Ruin be optional...but if you decide to get Sabin, then talk to "Garad", how is it that he pointedly talks only to Celes, and denies being Edgar, when his TWIN BROTHER is RIGHT THERE. Come on, Square. You can do better.

Just bought V Advance, so I can get started on that this weekend. :D

As for my After Years playthrough, it's alright so far. The moon mechanic is mildly annoying. Ended up having my attack weakened during a big boss sequence >.>

Psxphile

mini update on this note...so I've got Sabin, went to Mobliz and talked to Terra and got pissed when she wouldn't come with, then went to Nikeah and ran into "Garad". And this is where my suspension of disbelief snapped.

I know this is a 15+ year old game we're talking about, and I know that it's revolutionary enough to have most characters in the World of Ruin be optional...but if you decide to get Sabin, then talk to "Garad", how is it that he pointedly talks only to Celes, and denies being Edgar, when his TWIN BROTHER is RIGHT THERE. Come on, Square. You can do better.

It never really bothered me. Eventually Edgar comes clean and Sabin remarks how they were both being ignored, but... yeah. Seems odd that he doesn't call him out. I used to think that the brothers had a sort of understanding with each other and Sabin knew Edgar was playing the fool for a reason, so he held back so as to not blow his cover. But again... yeah. It's mostly because Sabin is optional.

Also: were they twins? Brothers yes, but I understood that Sabin was the younger one.

It never really bothered me. Eventually Edgar comes clean and Sabin remarks how they were both being ignored, but... yeah. Seems odd that he doesn't call him out. I used to think that the brothers had a sort of understanding with each other and Sabin knew Edgar was playing the fool for a reason, so he held back so as to not blow his cover. But again... yeah. It's mostly because Sabin is optional.

Also: were they twins? Brothers yes, but I understood that Sabin was the younger one.

I thought they were both 27 when the game started. Could be wrong. That said, I've gotten past that point now and yeah, I've gotten over it. In the moment though, I'm just like "Come ON!"

Natetan

That's actually one of my favorite parts. He denyies being Edgar just long enough to make you doubt. Plus the sprite is different too. Then you fight the monster in the castle underground. Awesome. Plus it's all via caves that exist in the world before which is quite clever I think.

Aeana

I couldn't find a code online to enable the B button dash at any time in the SFC version of FF5, so I made one myself. Back to adventure!

Aeana

GfUQpl.jpg
1MOzcl.jpg

So after getting the jobs from the wind shrine, we go to Tule to get the canal key from Zokk, who had previously lied to Lenna, saying he doesn't have it. Liar. So we go to the canal, and Galuf's like wtfman (I always thought it was funny how Lenna doesn't react in this scene), and then we go fight the boss.

xloh8l.jpg
mT5Ewl.jpg
IEEKal.jpg

Oh nooo, whirlpool and boss. White mages critting for 108 with bare fists, yay.

EJF1Hl.jpg
CqSfJl.jpg

Noooo, Syldraaaaa. :( We wake up in the ship graveyard.

sR6hJl.jpg

I'm still not exactly sure what happens in this scene. I'd love to see it in a 3D remake. Do they actually tear Faris's shirt off to find out that she's a woman, or what? Either way, she's not having any of that.

AG7hBl.jpg
1MAwFl.jpg

This battle ended before she even transformed. All I did was physically attack with 4x white mages who know the monk's "barehanded" ability. I shouldn't have even bothered to change jobs, but I figured I'd do it for tradition's sake.

Locke_211

Agh, I bought a cheap PSP today because of this thread. I was seduced by the remakes of FF1 and 2. Playing through 1 already and it looks gorgeous - such a loving remaster and I love how right by the first town it teases you with a new cave you can't get into yet. Also ordered Crisis Core since I know literally nothing about it and saw that the reviews were surprisingly good.

Looks like 6 is the only one of the first 9 you can't play on the PSP yet?

Looks like 6 is the only one of the first 9 you can't play on the PSP yet?

Barring emulation, I don't think you can play 3 on the PSP. I also recommend the Advance version of 5 if you're going to play it in English.

Speaking of...

After barrier tower is supposed to be Ghido's cave, but now that I have the submarine it's time for a detour. In a normal game, Moore contains the -aga spells, and black mages peak in power here. I pick up better armor and a full set of air knives, which will come in handy a bit later.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_05-9.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-9.png

Residents of Moore tell you about this cave that leads to a forest that contains a summon as a random encounter. Miss it here, and it's gone forever. It's kind of expensive, but I now have my first non-level-based instant death spell.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_11-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_12-8.png

Ok, Death Claw might as well be an instant death spell. (Blue mages are SO GOOD in this game.)

Ghido's cave is somewhat annoying, the most common enemy is this thing that has too much HP. They do drop a very useful staff, which when used as an item in battle casts Holy. (!!!) My party has no staff users. I think they can also use Aeroga, but I'm not sticking around long enough to see it.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_26-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_14-3.png

Ghido is one of the game's more amusing characters, and the party's reaction to him is equally amusing.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_24-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_25-2.png

Following Ghido's advice, the forest of Moore it is.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_28-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_14-4.png

More blue magic to be had here, although I've never found a use for this one. Getting it to hit the right party member was a bit annoying.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_01-11.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-10.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_11-6.png

About 75% of the way through the forest, this happens. If you want the Aegis shield (hint: you want the Aegis shield) you have to grab it while the fire's going on. If you grab it after, you get a flame shield, which is good, but much less generally useful.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_25-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_27-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_31-4.png

Boss time: Crystal x4
You'd think they'd remember to make bosses immune to important spells like Death Claw. If you have a samurai, the instant death slash works on them too. First things first: Identify the air crystal.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_36-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_37-6.png

Death Claw then attack the other three to kill them in two hits.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_38-3.png

Death Claw the air crystal, get hit by Aeroga, kill it.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_41-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_44-2.png

Forest complete, and Krile saves the party for the third time.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_51-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_52-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_76-1.png

Kinyou

FF IX was really a blast to play through. It reminded me of Golden Sun (basically the only JRPG I played before) but the story was just that much bigger and the setpieces far more impressive. I was surprised how much I could enjoy a game from the PS1 era. Thanks again to the guy who recommended it to me.

I think some time in the future I'll buy FF7 or FF8 though I'm not sure since I heard negative stuff about both. Maybe going back to one of the 2D ones would be even better.

StuBurns

Banned
FF IX was really a blast to play through. It reminded me of Golden Sun (basically the only JRPG I played before) but the story was just that much bigger and the setpieces far more impressive. I was surprised how much I could enjoy a game from the PS1 era. Thanks again to the guy who recommended it to me.

I think some time in the future I'll buy FF7 or FF8 though I'm not sure since I heard negative stuff about both. Maybe going back to one of the 2D ones would be even better.
Get 6, if you have a GBA around, get that version. I promise you greatness.

Top Bottom