• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Attach Rate = Stuff bought with the system.

What counts as attach?

Games, Accessories, Micro SD cards, system warranties, game warranties, pre-orders, etc.

My tiny store had a 900% attach on Switch launch. Means for every switch sold, I sold nine items with it. Games, warranty, preorders, etc.

Basically means that people bought a lot of stuff with their systems.

I don't know how they could tell considering the shortages. It's also very early to say anything. Personally I don't see it doing very well as a console. I think it might do decent if Nintendo slashes the prices and stop advertising it as one. Focus on mobile games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yup, they're benefitting from no one else(third party wise) showing up for one.

Jesus christ... expecting two chargers in the box.
Pretty much very smart. They got a version of their most Nintendo friendly mascot game and marked up the price. Wouldn't have worked as well with the vast majority of their otther franchises but unlike a lot of Japanese publishers they seem to know what they're doing. I'm fairly cerrajn if Capcom have coughed up trafitional megaman it would have also made money. Capcom lacks that sort of foresight sadly for them.

mugwhump

Well I dunno about the Wii, but I'm feeling reassured it won't bomba like wii u.

Strong accessory sales aren't surprising. Chargers, controllers, game cases, batteries, screen protectors, cases... there's a lot of stuff you could buy for a switch.

High attach rate surprised me though. I have no interest in bomberman or 12 switch, but I guess other people do.

Edit: oh, accessories are counted in the attach rate? That would explain it.

TLZ

Banned
The WiiU didn't really have a fantastic launch. It was aight but the numbers were not good in Europe for example. Ot was mostly Japan where the launch looked good.

The Wii u sold 3.06 million units in 6 weeks.

1.32 mil units in US. Around .8 mil in Japan. Around .9 mil rest of world. I don't know how many of that is Europe as they haven't specified in their doc.

This is why we should wait. Momentum isn't guaranteed.

but we are in a period where console sales aren't that great

I thought the ps4 is outselling the ps2 during the same period at the pace it is selling.

MTC100

Banned
It's too early to say much about the Switch's success, but it isn't too early to start preparing GAF's crow for when Christmas sales figures come out in 2018.

Let's see, Nintendo will produce 16 mil. Switch until April 1st.
They sold about 2 mil. so far and will most likely will have sold ~3 mil by the end of the month globally, which is quite okay(Wii Numbers). This would mean we might see another ~10 mil sold through til the end of the year with Nintendo producing roughly 1.35 million Switch per month.

The Switch could get pretty close to WiiU numbers within less than a year on the market and will most likely surpass them by the end of their fiskal year.

Well they sure love the switch thanks to the shitty percentage of Digital compared to the competition and thanks to the lack of Storage on board.

and thanks to the cardridge games
and thanks to the mass amount of accessories
and thanks to a possible appeal of casuals
and thanks to a third strong player in the physical games business

you could go on with this list
Switch is good for Gamestop. you can't deny that

Attach Rate = Stuff bought with the system.

What counts as attach?

Games, Accessories, Micro SD cards, system warranties, game warranties, pre-orders, etc.

My tiny store had a 900% attach on Switch launch. Means for every switch sold, I sold nine items with it. Games, warranty, preorders, etc.

Basically means that people bought a lot of stuff with their systems.
quote for visibility
some 1 put it up in the OP please

Its a very fun gadget that will get positive word of mouth. Battle mode in Mario Kart 8 with 4 players on 2 Switches in table top mode could be huge at schools/unis.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't know how they could tell considering the shortages. It's also very early to say anything. Personally I don't see it doing very well as a console. I think it might do decent if Nintendo slashes the prices and stop advertising it as one. Focus on mobile games.

Part of the reason a large part of GAF can't wrap their heads around the Switch's success is that they keep thinking of it as a handheld or console when it is both at the same time.

It's a reverse Schrodinger. Either solely a handheld or solely a console until you think outside of the box.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's best not to take the overall opinions of video game boards.

I thought it was a good presentation, but there was a lot a lot of hyperbole calling it a trash and horrible presentation.

You knew about 1,2 Switch, ARMS, Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey, the price of the system, the release date, Project Octopath Traveler, SMT, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, Travis Touchdown, Zeldas official launch date?
Not to mention hd rumble, ir motion among other joycon things

Cuburt

I think the accessories comment is pretty telling for me personally. I went into a few stores the week after it launched looking for a case and every store I went into was practically cleared out of accessories. That might not seem like a big deal but even the type of completely optional accessories that people usually don't care about are cleaned out. Game cases, rubber joycon and analog stick protectors, etc. stuff that I'd imagine only a very small portion of people buy licensed accessories for their handheld or console, but all that stuff was being snatched up.

Should be interesting getting some numbers around time of NPD (I'd imagine Nintendo would want to trumpet their success). I think the Switch will have had a successful launch that might not show in terms of hardware sales since it's sold out, but in attach rate and accessories sales it should paint a better picture of the trajectory of the console, then in the next few months when production ramps up we should really see if it is able to carry that momentum.

It's crazy that Nintendo can tell us it's initial sales were ahead of any other console launch in several territories, that Zelda is the best selling launch game, the best selling Zelda in Japan, and all this other news including doubling their prediction for the first years sales (something investors wouldn't be happy about if they under performed), and GAF is still sitting here thinking every positive comment about the Switch launch is propaganda and marketing lies. It's like "the Wii is just a fad" repackaged for 2017.

There is probably a reason why Nintendo doubled Switch production from 8 to 16 mio for the month until April 2018 (as rumors told).

By the way, I think the original power charger is to big, I use a simple USB charger and a USB->USBC cable.

arimanius

I must say I'm loving the switch and I've been lukewarm on every Nintendo console since the n64 including handhelds. There's just so much I love about it. Zelda, BoI, Shovel knight, and Snipperclips they are all great on this device. I love being able to take it on the go.

Will we see a restock for the Splatoon Testfire?

The test fire is not really a big deal, but it could move some units here. Japan gotta get one before the testfire for sure

Kataploom

Gold Member
Due to some finantial priorities I can't get one now, but I'm hoping that the demand gets fixed by the time I'm able to get it. Also, I hope all the issues it's been presenting get fixed as well, I'm not from USA but I have to import these stuff from there and official support is not an option overseas :(

Finn

Yea! They should totally stop advertising the cool feature that makes it different and unique from the rest of the consoles on the market! That'll make it sell like hawtcakes.

But seriously, the beauty of the system is that *every* game is a mobile game. So I'm not really following your logic.

Well nintendo is probably best off not slashing prices on their new product that has a lot of positive buzz because you think otherwise. I also don't see why they should focus on mobile games when the most successful game on the switch is anything but. The advice around here is awful at times. You'd think "gaming enthusiasts" had more sense.

"Take Zelda off the shelves boys, mobile games is where it's at!"

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Due to some finantial priorities I can't get one now, but I'm hoping that the demand gets fixed by the time I'm able to get it. Also, I hope all the issues it's been presenting get fixed as well, I'm not from USA but I have to import these stuff from there and official support is not an option overseas :(
They probably will either in this version or the inevitable revision.

Cleve

Geez, calm down with the Wii comparison, it's been 3 weeks...

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?

I bought one for my bedroom/on the go so I don't have to unplug the one in the dock.

I could have gotten a generic one I guess, but the cost difference wasn't that much.

Lylo

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is great news nonetheless.

The DS also sold way more than the Wii.

To be fair, the DS had a two year head start and was retired a year later than the Wii, but yes, the numbers don't lie.

TLZ

Banned
Let's see, Nintendo will produce 16 mil. Switch until April 1st.
They sold about 2 mil. so far and will most likely will have sold ~3 mil by the end of the month globally, which is quite okay(Wii Numbers). This would mean we might see another ~10 mil sold through til the end of the year with Nintendo producing roughly 1.35 million Switch per month.

The Switch could get pretty close to WiiU numbers within less than a year on the market and will most likely surpass them by the end of their fiskal year.

You cannot make up numbers like that. And the switch can't sell 3 mil by the end of march because there simply isn't that many. They've restricted themselves to manufacturing 2 million switches worldwide to be sold til the end of March. And currently they've sold 1.5 mil, not 2.

If you're going to forecast like that then the Wii u should've sold a ton by holiday 2013, but that didn't happen. There are many factors to consider.

We all really should calm down and wait and not jump the gun like this is unprecedented. Let's at least wait til the end of this year to have a better idea.

brinstar

I bought an extra to charge away from the TV and for travel without having to constantly take the one out the back of the dock.

MTC100

Banned
I have a hard time seeing it hit the levels of Wii but I think it's going to do very well.

Nintendo is producing 1.33 million Switch per month(16 mil / 12 months). They produced 1.80 million Wiis a month in its prime time. With the current production it will be nearly impossible to reach Wii numbers, that's roughly 50 million units within 3 years -funnily almost the same amount the PS4 sold within their first 3 years. To reach Wii numbers Nintendo would need to keep this pace up for 6.5 years straight, it's possible but somewhat unlikely. I guess ~70 mil Switch lifetime sales are possible though.

KAL2006

Banned
I really hope Switch succeeds. I love the concept and of course Nintendo games. Although i haven't bought one I'm definitely planning to around fall when hopefully all the issues get resolved with the JoyCon signal and screen scratching dock

Due to backlog i don't want to get a Switch yet, also it's quite pricey in the UK.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I love Nintendo and all. But I think I'll wait until this time next year to make a judgement.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I bought an extra charger so I could plug in during extended handheld mode sessions while I watch lots of hockey games on the main TV.

November 2006:
Wii 476K

December 2006:
Wii 604.2 K 1.1 mm

January 2007:
Wii 436k, 1.5mm

February 2007:
Wii 335,000

The Wii wasn't the fastest system out of the gates due to stock issues. It really took off from March 2007.

Pyrokai

For on the go. Taking it in and out of the dock is a PITA. I bought a second one day one.

There's a reason they made them 30 bucks lol

MTC100

Banned
You cannot make up numbers like that. And the switch can't sell 3 mil by the end of march because there simply isn't that many. They've restricted themselves to manufacturing 2 million switches worldwide to be sold til the end of March. And currently they've sold 1.5 mil, not 2.

You're sure of it only being 2 mil for the launch month? That seems awfully cautious, they had 3 mil ready with the Wii and didn't know if it would really be that successful...

Also the 1.5 mil number is almost a week old already and there were restocks all over the world happening...

Edit: okay it was "only" 3.2 mil Wiis for November AND December(even though it only meant November for the US and December for the rest of the world) it seems but the system had quite the shortages as well.

Bluth54

Jesus christ... expecting two chargers in the box.

They literally can't win with some people. Wtf.

How exactly is it unreasonable to except two chargers in the box when the system is a hybrid console/handheld? One for the Switch dock and one for taking the Switch on the go?

Edit: Maybe not 2 chargers, but have a power adapter built into the dock and a normal power cable plug into the dock and a separate power charger for taking the system on the go.

When I saw Nintendo only included one charger with the Switch I thought it was kinda an asshole move. Most people are going to plug that charger into the dock and depending on how your TV setup is it may be very inconvenient to unplug the power cable if you need to take it on the go. They really should of put 2 chargers in the box, one for taking the Switch on the go and one for the dock.

Ha, we're lucky there's even one in there, after they left them out of some 3DS models.

mugwhump

The wall charger can matter but those bricks being Samsung and USB-A means it should be fine.

However, if they are 5W bricks, which are the typical ones, they will charge the Switch slowly it's in sleeping mode or off, and may not charge it when playing, will just help it not to use the battery as fast.
My 5V 2W charger (and power bank) work fine, although it charges slowly if I'm playing. Was a pleasant surprise.

Oregano

How exactly is it unreasonable to except two chargers in the box when the system is a hybrid console/handheld? One for the Switch dock and one for taking the Switch on the go?

Because you can just use the same one!

I guess you'd want it for no extra cost too?

Peléo

There's a pretty big gap between the 3DS and the DS btw. 3DS is 65-70 million, DS is 150 million.

Switch will have done well if it hits 3DS, there's no chance it hits DS sales in this lifetime.

If the Switch hit the 3DS, it will be their most successful home console, excluding the Wii. I don't think a console will ever outsell the DS or the PS2 by the way, those numbers are really hard to beat.

m0TBfmU.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's one of those it'd be nice but I certainly wouldn't expect it. You can buy USB-c chargers reasonably cheaply also.

Top Bottom